Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuo
Jun 17, 2016

drgitlin posted:

Silhouette cars are not allowed in GTE or GTLM. Perhaps you can point me at where BMW says such a thing? I have a very very hard time believing the other OEMs would grant BMW a waiver to do such a thing.

Also that car looks a lot like the 8 Series concept I saw at Car Week.

What I meant is that the base of the car shares quite a lot with the M6 GT3. Suspension etc. I don't think BMW would throw away most of the development that went into the M6 GT3. Of course the car itself is based on what will be the 8series, but from a racing perspective, I don't think it's completely new car.

During the unveiling, BMW said "that the GTE shares the same roof line that the final 8series road car will have". I asked a friend at BMW if the unveiling of the GTE wasn't a bit unfortunate, since the 8series hasn't been unveiled yet. His answer? "Oh, well, the road version will look quite a bit different than the GTE". That's what I meant with that it shares the same silouette (roof line etc.) while still using quite a few components from the M6 GT3. Wheel base etc. is so close to the M6 GT3, that it would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

I think their point is that the M8 doesn't look too different from the M6, which, eh. I'm sure it's different underneath, plus takes further advantage of the aerodynamics rules.

Do any of BMW's cars look significantly different from each other though?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

Do any of BMW's cars look significantly different from each other though?

currently not, no

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a nice looking car, regardless.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can't believe the cars from a same brand look similar and how that design evolves only slightly over time. This is shocking, to me.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lol at BMW design evolving only slightly over time. Both Merc and BMW went through a very, very rough time in the last 10 years design wise, where nearly every new series and sometimes even facelifts within the series changed the design philosophy drastically. Both arrived at a new design philosophy couple of years ago that actually spans the whole product portfolio now. AUDI did that a lot better imo, even though I am no fan of the AUDI aesthetics. But then again I think this is the wrong thread for this.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tuo posted:

Lol at BMW design evolving only slightly over time. Both Merc and BMW went through a very, very rough time in the last 10 years design wise, where nearly every new series and sometimes even facelifts within the series changed the design philosophy drastically. Both arrived at a new design philosophy couple of years ago that actually spans the whole product portfolio now. AUDI did that a lot better imo, even though I am no fan of the AUDI aesthetics. But then again I think this is the wrong thread for this.

Audi doesn't capitalize its own name, please don't do it for them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tuo posted:

all of those brands cars look the same and have always looked the same tbh

(with the exception of them recently deciding that crunching in the roofline towards the middle of the car makes everything, no matter how huge and no matter how many doors, a "performance coupe")

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Silverstone's back on the WEC calendar for 2018.

https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/908753222063607808

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-jKkBa74AI

I need to see this race before I die.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
So this happened:
https://twitter.com/supercars/status/908907298881277952

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonk:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

:stonk: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/supercars/status/908907365424029696

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the run-off on that turn has always been brutal, probably the worst spot on the calendar to have a huge crash at

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the run-off on that turn has always been brutal, probably the worst spot on the calendar to have a huge crash at

Having a crash on the 16th of September?

The problem with Sandown that there's no real run off areas along the back straight there due to land constraints. The entry and exit of that straight can cause huge accidents.

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007
He was back on the horse an hour later

http://www.theracetorque.com/2017/09/the-madness-of-the-racing-driver/

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Zak Brown said McLaren wouldn't be able to do the 2018 LeMans so Alonso is free to drive for someone else if he wants to and Toyota said they'd love to talk to him.

LeMans silly season is going to be insane this year.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

drgitlin posted:

Audi doesn't capitalize its own name, please don't do it for them.

:wrong:

The AUDI AG capitalizes their name. If you don't do it, someone from marketing will yell at you. The registered brand name is also capitalized, at least in Europe.

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de.html#layer=/de/brand/de/tools/navigation/layer/impressum.html

The cars themselves are still called Audis, though. The company is AUDI.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Only in BTCC will you see a safety car pull off and the field accellerate and then the race be immediiately red flagged

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tuo posted:

The AUDI AG capitalizes their name. If you don't do it, someone from marketing will yell at you. The registered brand name is also capitalized, at least in Europe.

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de.html#layer=/de/brand/de/tools/navigation/layer/impressum.html

Okay fine but that's a rule for press releases and corporate communications and not the Something Awful dot com forums. Just downstyle it like a normal human.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

tuo posted:

Congrats on your forum points on this dead gay forum. :rolleyes:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

harperdc posted:

Okay fine but that's a rule for press releases and corporate communications and not the Something Awful dot com forums. Just downstyle it like a normal human.

Yeah, you're right, i'm just used to writing it all caps if it is about the company since I sometimes have to work for them and trust me, you learn VERY quick to distinguish between the cars and the company when it comes to how to write them...especially after getting called out for beeing wrong about it. Sorry for beeing nitpicking/beeing childish, one of the two comes with the job I guess, I'll do my best to dial it down.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was at COTA this weekend and besides being hot it was okay.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7Y8qK9

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 18, 2017

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tuo posted:

Before I posted that I went though my email folder to see if my friends at Audi of America ALLCAPed the name and no they don't.

And I'll screen cap some emails if you don't believe me.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I was at COTA this weekend and besides being hot it was okay.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7Y8qK9

What was attendance like? It was the first Lone Star Le Mans I didn't make it to, but attendance on TV looked even more abysmal than any year so far.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tuo posted:

So when you were talking about AUDI aesthetics, you meant the aesthetics of a corporation? Not a car?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

drgitlin posted:

What was attendance like? It was the first Lone Star Le Mans I didn't make it to, but attendance on TV looked even more abysmal than any year so far.

It was pretty sparse. They held a kids soccer tournament or something during the 6H.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

wicka posted:

So when you were talking about AUDI aesthetics, you meant the aesthetics of a corporation? Not a car?

Yeah, you're right, I must have mixed it up with AUDI ethics, because I certainly don't like those

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's about ethics in car capitalization

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Anyone who is following the WEC is probably pretty nervous about the current news topics in that series, combine that with COTA being in the rear end end of nowhere and you've got a prime recipe for a track with maybe 20% of it's possible attendance sold for the event.

Also LMP1HY being dead on arrival at least until next year possibly further and you don't have the draw of "the racing world's most high tech cars", and the aforementioned problems where COTA is supremely boring for watching any racing that isn't taking corners at insane speeds and hitting 200+ mph on every straight, etc. You get the idea.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 20, 2017

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
So starting in 2019, Michelin is taking over as the primary tire sponsor of IMSA. That means spec Michelins in every class except GTLM, which will still be open, and the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge will become the Michelin Tire Sportscar Challenge.

It sounds like Continental lobbied hard to keep IMSA's business, but this is likely part of IMSA's larger plan to more closely align their regulations with Europe. It kind of sucks because Continental's been a good sponsor, but their competition tires always seem to be a step short of Michelin or Dunlop and it puts any LMP2 team trying to run in DPi at a disadvantage when they have to adjust to different, worse tires.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
At least now the GTLM's won't be breathing down the Prototypes' necks after every restart. Might be able to open the taps up on the GTLM's pace as well, and then open up GTD to near-full-GT3 speeds.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

So starting in 2019, Michelin is taking over as the primary tire sponsor of IMSA. That means spec Michelins in every class except GTLM, which will still be open, and the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge will become the Michelin Tire Sportscar Challenge.

It sounds like Continental lobbied hard to keep IMSA's business, but this is likely part of IMSA's larger plan to more closely align their regulations with Europe. It kind of sucks because Continental's been a good sponsor, but their competition tires always seem to be a step short of Michelin or Dunlop and it puts any LMP2 team trying to run in DPi at a disadvantage when they have to adjust to different, worse tires.

On the other hand when the Petit Le Mans comes around in 2019, I'll be able to enter to win a free set of Michelins for my car when I go to the race. They're more expensive and better than the Continentals that were on offer last year/this year.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

On the other hand when the Petit Le Mans comes around in 2019, I'll be able to enter to win a free set of Michelins for my car when I go to the race. They're more expensive and better than the Continentals that were on offer last year/this year.

I'm more concerned about the free hat, personally. Continental ones are acceptably stylish for wearing at the track or lawn mowing or whatever and breathe nicely from the mesh back. Michelin hats always look like they made a clerical error in the 1970s and accidentally ordered eight million and are still trying to get rid of them

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Although the Continental girls always made me and my girlfriend roll our eyes so I'm glad I can now look forward to the sensual curves and lustrous eyes of the Michelin Man

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Although the Continental girls always made me and my girlfriend roll our eyes so I'm glad I can now look forward to the sensual curves and lustrous eyes of the Michelin Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfL1VCv2kCI

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

He's already there because the GTLM works teams all use Michelins.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

He's already there because the GTLM works teams all use Michelins.

I know, he gave me a high-five at the Glen this year. I just couldn't help but delight at the thought of a dozen voluptuous Bibendums seductively telling me to try turning my nuts on the virtual tire change game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Renger Van Der Zanardi. :stare:

• Locked thread