Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Criminally stylish posted:

Ok, so lets say you have a walking sorcerer with hands and legs and the head of a fish. Basically a fish-man with gills and fishskin. What would this humanoid taste like?

Asking because I kind of tricked my party into eating one after I dragged its corpse onto the ship and rolled high on persuading the chef into making it tonights dinner. Dm called it as tough but fish-like.

Finally an important question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
exactly like lizardmen except fishy

being a sorcerer I'd expect it to have lots of fat and minimal muscle

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Criminally stylish posted:

Ok, so lets say you have a walking sorcerer with hands and legs and the head of a fish. Basically a fish-man with gills and fishskin. What would this humanoid taste like?

I'd say it's similar to swordfish. Slightly oily with a firmer texture than your average fish.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Like chicken
Salty
Fishy
Chicken

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm playing batman in a game tomorrow. I'm rolling the artificer. Taking the cloak that gives you lots of poo poo as kind of a utility belt. Magic rope as a bat-rope. Level 6 so I get a construct, so I'm taking a horse to allow me to be more mobile (so, uh... bat-mobile). Any other ideas? I went human and took the extra skills feat so he'd have all the Int and dex skills because it's loving batman.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

The problem isn't one of reskinning - the problem is that multiclassing out of warlock is mechanically a better option then staying in the warlock class in just about any given situation because so little attention was paid to how the classes actually play out. In a good game, sorcerer/warlock multiclass would be DIFFERENT from sorcerer and warlock, not just straight up better - and it is for the sorcerer! But the warlock is poorly made, and people are trying to make due with what they've got. Don't blame the players for a broken game.

I wince at how often multi-classing is mentioned as a good build idea in general, because it's an indicator of how bad the 1 to 20 classes are by default

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wince at how often multi-classing is mentioned as a good build idea in general, because it's an indicator of how bad the 1 to 20 classes are by default

In my head multiclassing is a potential option that shouldn't be used regularly, but people just use it contantly to fix broken characters. Which is a shame!

I didn't like my Warlock but we're doing a campaign with a lot of missions that involve dungeon crawling and short rests were just too far apart. I felt like I could cast two spells ever and that was it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Multiclassing: Do That poo poo All the Time is the core philosophy of advanced character building in 3e and therefore 5e.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

dont even fink about it posted:

Multiclassing: Do That poo poo All the Time is the core philosophy of advanced character building in 3e and therefore 5e.

I guess beyond "what path did you choose" and (for some characters) spell choices there's not a lot of character development in 5th. Multiclassing is all you can do to make it different.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Taear posted:

I guess beyond "what path did you choose" and (for some characters) spell choices there's not a lot of character development in 5th. Multiclassing is all you can do to make it different.

Basically.

Fighters, Rogues and Clerics do just fine single-classed for most/all of their careers, but for most others if you want something more mechanically interesting than the baseline you need to MC. Barbarian, Monk, Ranger, I'm looking at you. Even full casters with their breadth of spell choices suffer from this, because objectively there's only a few great spells per level, so among those who know their poo poo you'll end up seeing very similar lists.

But it's about engaging mechanics or better fit a niche rather than overall more powerful characters, really. A pure Barbarian is a tougher damage machine than a Barbarogue until into the 10s while being less restricted in their weapon choices, but the latter gets options. In and out of combat. Sorlock is a much more effective blaster than pure Sorcerer, has more cantrip options, and depending on the pacing of the campaign might even have better day-long stamina, but to be so is delaying access to the more bullshit spells by 2-3 levels. Palalock gets a good ranged combat option, better save aura through Charisma focus, and more spells and spell slots through the day are of course nice, but to fully capitalize on this they get a wonky early-levels progression and ultimately delay their Paladin 11 power spike.

Plus at the levels multiclasses start to come into their own, the most broken characters are single-classed Wizards and Bards, so multiclassing as a path to power is something only people with an spotty understanding of the system believe in :shrug:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Taear posted:

In my head multiclassing is a potential option that shouldn't be used regularly, but people just use it contantly to fix broken characters. Which is a shame!

I didn't like my Warlock but we're doing a campaign with a lot of missions that involve dungeon crawling and short rests were just too far apart. I felt like I could cast two spells ever and that was it.

No one has tiny hut? Short rests should be possible in dungeons fairly easy on their own. Secret areas are often unknown to its inhabitants.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I dunno about your campaigns but in mine we frequently find ourselves running up against time constraints that don't really allow for frequent short rests.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Reene posted:

I dunno about your campaigns but in mine we frequently find ourselves running up against time constraints that don't really allow for frequent short rests.

In my experience, short rests are either feast or famine. Like, if you're in an actual dungeon crawling scenario there's usually a reason why you can't take a rest, and if you aren't, you take a rest literally every encounter.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Philthy posted:

No one has tiny hut? Short rests should be possible in dungeons fairly easy on their own. Secret areas are often unknown to its inhabitants.

Nope, there are only three of us and none of us have anything like that. In some ice dungeon we managed to carve out a piece of wall and hide in it but for the most part it's few and far between.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Of course, if short rests were only 5-10 minutes (which I highly recommend a DM who's running 5E to make happen), this wouldn't be an issue.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Of course, if short rests were only 5-10 minutes (which I highly recommend a DM who's running 5E to make happen), this wouldn't be an issue.

This is how I do it. Who gives a poo poo if it buffs the handful of classes/abilities that benefit from a short rest? If you have a regular group, they probably won't exploit it to the detriment of the game; if someone does, tell them to knock it off.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm not convinced that there's any reason not to change short rest powers to encounter powers, frankly.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I'm not convinced that there's any reason not to change short rest powers to encounter powers, frankly.

Yeah, it works fine. It makes anyone who relies on short rests slightly, but noticably, better.

Talk about about a short rest being a minute or two to get your breath back instead of "per encounter" if you think that guy will complain.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 16, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Technically, short rest powers are supposed to be one every two encounters, rather than every encounter.

The problem is that if short rests are one hour long, there's nothing that makes them 'easier' to narratively justify even if you're only doing them once every two encounters.

And then if you reduce short rests to five minutes ... you're creating a situation where it makes narrative sense for them to be once every encounter anyway.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, like I said a couple pages ago:

AlphaDog posted:

Using an explicit structure of 2-4 repetitions of "2 fights, get your short rest refresh" then "big fight, get your long rest refresh" pretty much fixed the ability refresh problems both of my online 5e groups were having.

One DM takes pains to work this into something that they feel fits a narrative, and the other doesn't care and just tells you to refresh after 2 fights. I don't really notice the difference during play.

First DM works the narrative in different ways so that you get 2 fights and then a breather. Recently she's been narrating stuff so that "two encounters" is really the one setpiece with either two locations or two stages. Refreshes aren't about ficitonal time passing, they're about threat removal - you can't get your big refresh until the big threat is gone. This works well for the continuing-serial nature of the game - each "episode" is 3-4 small refreshes long. And yeah, she says "big/small refresh", not "long/short rest"

Second DM just tells you to do your short rest stuff after every 2 fights and long rest stuff after a boss fight and doesn't give a gently caress. His words: "if damage can be abstract then so can recovery".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 17, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So the dungeon master's guide continues to be a useless pile of poo poo that only provides thousands of tables to randomly roll what race the bartender of an inn is, so I'll ask here: what would be the proper XP and monetary reward for a level 1 party successfully scouting out a threat?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

So the dungeon master's guide continues to be a useless pile of poo poo that only provides thousands of tables to randomly roll what race the bartender of an inn is, so I'll ask here: what would be the proper XP and monetary reward for a level 1 party successfully scouting out a threat?

If it took a full 4 hour session then 100 gold per person and enough xp to get to level 2.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Level 1, let them level up if it took the best part of the session. Probably let them level up anyway. Level 1 and 2 are pretty poo poo.

After level 3, again if it took most of a session, probably 1/8 to 1/4 of a level depending on how fast they level in general.

gently caress if I know about GP rewards. When I GM D&D-ish games I rely on giving out generous sounding amounts gold and gems and then making them spend enough of it that they're always nearly broke.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 17, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lurdiak posted:

The DMG is pretty useful and has fun stuff. Also giving exp like this is stated to be be a level appropriate encounter if you want to reward them for stuff like that. So 200 XP makes sense as thats the same as a CR 1 monster.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I have a question about Spirit Guardians: does it do damage on the turn I cast it? The text of the spell says when a creature first enters the area on "a" turn, it must make a save/take damage. Why does it not say "its" turn if it was only on their turns?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
A creature could be getting pushed or otherwise forced into the area on a turn other than its own. But no, the guardians don't deal damage on the turn they're cast, in my opinion – having a zone created on top of you does not constitute entering it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Blog of Holding makes the case that awarding as much GP as the XP value of an encounter should work.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

thehoodie posted:

I have a question about Spirit Guardians: does it do damage on the turn I cast it? The text of the spell says when a creature first enters the area on "a" turn, it must make a save/take damage. Why does it not say "its" turn if it was only on their turns?

MMAgCh posted:

A creature could be getting pushed or otherwise forced into the area on a turn other than its own. But no, the guardians don't deal damage on the turn they're cast, in my opinion – having a zone created on top of you does not constitute entering it.

I tend towards agreeing, but the phrasing is a bit dumb. It implies that if you are moved (or somehow move yourself) out of the area between the spell being cast and your turn starting, you don't suffer the effect.

Web has even stupider wording: "Each creature that starts its turn in the webs or that enters them during its turn...". As written, you don't get webbed when web is cast, you get webbed on your turn. You could also be moved (or somehow move yourself) out of or even through the web without getting stuck, as long as it wasn't your turn.

Wall of Fire is much better, with "When the wall appears, each creature within its area..."

How does regular fire work? If the area you're standing in catches on fire, does it start burning you right away, or does it only burn you once your turn starts?

I would hate the d6 chart at the end a whole lot less if one of the results wasn't no treasure.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 17, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I would hate the d6 chart at the end a whole lot less if one of the results wasn't no treasure.

I would probably modify that to "no treasure YET, but add it to the pile at the end"

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Technically, short rest powers are supposed to be one every two encounters, rather than every encounter.

The problem is that if short rests are one hour long, there's nothing that makes them 'easier' to narratively justify even if you're only doing them once every two encounters.

And then if you reduce short rests to five minutes ... you're creating a situation where it makes narrative sense for them to be once every encounter anyway.

I think a short rest every 2 encounters may work out when you have a 6-8 encounter day. Problem is I don't seem to have many of those (do others?). For a 3-4 encounter day, presumably the encounters are all kinda tough and meaningful, which would mean a short rest every encounter is probably good. Any less than that and I don't think short-rest-dependent classes will balance out well against long-rest-dependent classes. Unless you get mid-battle rests or something.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It would make my Sorlock much better as I suddenly have a glut of extra spell slots to burn for sorcery points, which I can then use for either metamagic or to buy slots up to 5 back much more rapidly than I in theory should be able to.

Given how weak both Sorcerers and Warlocks are in comparison to Wizards I'm not sure it would be game-breaking, but I'm definitely not supposed to be able to burn slots like that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, remember, this is 5e; the short rest abilities are not in any way in balance with each other. 5 min short rests do a lot to help warlocks and fighters, but now you've gone and given your monk waaaay too many stunning strikes, and your warlock multiclass a titanic upgrade in power.

The fact is there is no solve all solution for...any of 5e's problems. Because there are no singular "this is what's wrong with 5e" in any individual area of the mechanics. The whole thing is shoddy and poorly constructed. The short rest fix helps warlocks, but does terrible things to monks, because the problem isn't "short rest," the problem is in every single thing tied to short rests, and they're all lovely in different ways.

In a way, 5e did what it meant to do - it recreated AD&D, in that every loving table is gonna end up with their own different homebrew ruleset to try and solve all the problems.

EDIT: Basically, the fighter abilities and other things were balanced around 5 minute rests, which is what the short rest WAS originally. Except they changed them to an hour without adapting those classes, so they suck. But then they added other stuff balanced around the one hour short rest, so now it's all hosed.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 18, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Magil Zeal posted:

I think a short rest every 2 encounters may work out when you have a 6-8 encounter day. Problem is I don't seem to have many of those (do others?). For a 3-4 encounter day, presumably the encounters are all kinda tough and meaningful, which would mean a short rest every encounter is probably good. Any less than that and I don't think short-rest-dependent classes will balance out well against long-rest-dependent classes. Unless you get mid-battle rests or something.

You're not wrong in that it's difficult to have the full 6 to 8 encounters in a day, but if you don't have those, then now the daily-based classes are a lot more powerful.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ProfessorCirno posted:

EDIT: Basically, the fighter abilities and other things were balanced around 5 minute rests, which is what the short rest WAS originally. Except they changed them to an hour without adapting those classes, so they suck. But then they added other stuff balanced around the one hour short rest, so now it's all hosed.

This kind of process is the root of much of 5e's problems: they designed/balanced a feature or system around some assumption, later changed that assumption, but didn't go back to properly rework the features tied to it. It's most egregious in the way Short Rests and Bonus Actions work (or don't work!), but you can see evidence of it in multiple other places, sprinkled all over the book.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're not wrong in that it's difficult to have the full 6 to 8 encounters in a day, but if you don't have those, then now the daily-based classes are a lot more powerful.

"We don't get 6-8 encounters a day, more like 3-4" is common enough that it's practically the de-facto standard.

It's equivalent to "we halved the number of encounters between long rests", but I've never seen it followed up with "...so we also halved the number of encounters between short rests". Which seems like a no-brainer way to keep short/long rest classes positioned vaguely close to their original relative refresh rates.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 18, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

"We don't get 6-8 encounters a day, more like 3-4" is common enough that it's practically the de-facto standard.

It's equivalent to "we halved the number of encounters between long rests", but I've never seen it followed up with "...so we also halved the number of encounters between short rests". Which seems like a no-brainer way to keep short/long rest classes positioned vaguely close to their original relative refresh rates.

Unironically interesting to see how just making a long rest a milestone thing rather than having the players decide it happens. Like it takes some of the freedom and control away but if I, as the GM, can rig it to always happen after 6 or so encounters it should hopefully keep casters in line with way less loving around.

I'm planning on doing the above in my upcoming 5e game and also drop short rests to about 20 minutes so its a lot easier to just get your little rests whenever you feel the need to.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 18, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Unironically interesting to see how just making a long rest a milestone thing rather than having the players decide it happens. Like it takes some of the freedom and control away but if I, as the GM, can rig it to always happen after 6 or so encounters it should hopefully keep casters in line with way less loving around.

I'm planning on doing the above in my upcoming 5e game and also drop short rests to about 20 minutes so its a lot easier to just get your little rests whenever you feel the need to.

Yes these are good ideas.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Has anyone else had much of a look at the Adventures in Middle Earth books? I have had the Player's Guide for a while, but just picked of the Loremaster's Guide and the Wilderland Adventures book.

The monster design in the LMG seems to be a little more interesting than the official Monster Manual. Enemies have a number of cool abilities that make use of bonus actions and reactions. There are pretty evocative things in there.

It also has a big list of those actions (and others traits) to add to your own custom monsters.

It also has a pretty neat list of terrain effects. A lot of them are fairly basic, but I think it is a useful reference.

Has anyone had a chance to try any of that content out?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

thefakenews posted:

Has anyone else had much of a look at the Adventures in Middle Earth books? I have had the Player's Guide for a while, but just picked of the Loremaster's Guide and the Wilderland Adventures book.

The monster design in the LMG seems to be a little more interesting than the official Monster Manual. Enemies have a number of cool abilities that make use of bonus actions and reactions. There are pretty evocative things in there.

It also has a big list of those actions (and others traits) to add to your own custom monsters.

It also has a pretty neat list of terrain effects. A lot of them are fairly basic, but I think it is a useful reference.

Has anyone had a chance to try any of that content out?

My Thursday night gaming group is going to be doing a Middle Earth campaign in a few months. I will say that I have The One Ring books from Cubicle 7 and the company did there best to transfer as much material/rules/traits from those books (which are their own system) into the 5e books. If that's the case, I can't wait to try it out as The One Ring books are some of the best sourcebooks I've ever read.

My only concern is that Middle Earth is about being heroes and fighting off the darkness. It's NOT about gaining levels and getting massive amounts of loot. Those ideas of fellowship and heroism are what I'm hoping translates over into 5e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Okay, so in the game in playing right now, my fighter lost his hand. He is a mercenary, and one of his comrades, and a friend, was captured by vampires. It was some big blood feast and a Big Deal for the vampire aristocracy. If we were dumb enough to start a fight in the middle of their fortress (which we we attending as ambassadors) we would just get literally eaten alive. His solution as how to save his buddy is to offer his blood to the edge of death (as they are under diplomatic protection, and this was freely given in barter) and his shield hand. The DM apparently didn't expect my character to make this sort of debilitating deal, and so we went with it but aren't sure how to treat the wound. I would figure disadvantage on a couple things ideally requiring 2 hands, but what else do yall think would be appropriate?

It was pretty funny to hear everyone screaming in character about WHAT IN THE FLYING gently caress IS GOING ON WHY IS THE QUEEN EATING CASSIUS' HAND?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 19, 2017