Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Be fair

That's Grandpa

Who DID think it was perfectly fine to leave his daughter alone with loaded guns while an infant.

Then again, Grandpa had some REALLY weird look at history and the future. Dude knew all about Sburb and what was going to happen and that he had to prepare Jade to make her choices and I think even knew that she would stuff him and he stuffed her of course.

Frankly, with the Troll Queen as his mom, he's lucky he's as normal as he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oh yeah, I forgo HIC was on Pre-scratch earth as well. I don't even remember how she got there, was that explained? It's been quite some time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CuddlyZombie posted:

Oh yeah, I forgo HIC was on Pre-scratch earth as well. I don't even remember how she got there, was that explained? It's been quite some time.

It's because Pre Scratch Earth is the original iteration. That's why John did the baby making and no one in the Scratch time line did.

So she went, as much as anyone could in this nonsense, linearly from universe to universe.

And yeah I think a lot of people need to realize that we're only really getting Joey's POV here, and she's quite biased in her views. It doesn't make Grandpa RIGHT, or even a good person, but when you remember his whole deal it makes a fair bit more sense.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The whole grandpa thing seemed like a rehash of Jade's relationship with him, but not as funny

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Dolash posted:

Did anyone pay particular attention to the music? I can't say I did, though I seemed to remember it sounded nice enough and there were some good touches like the transition when the lights went out. On a similar note, the UI shift when you cross worlds was also good.

I might just need to give the soundtrack an independent listen through to see how it holds up.

I particularly liked some of the music played in the houses on Alternia.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tunicate posted:

The whole grandpa thing seemed like a rehash of Jade's relationship with him, but not as funny

It comes off as a few shades more real, since Jade's whole deal was crazy and her grandad was dead and she had a magic murder-dog companion while living alone on an island. "Pa" as an absent, disinterested father whose wife passed away and he subsequently failed to take up his family obligations while his teenage daughter harbors resentment for him is all very believable, even relatable for some. I think it helps ground Joey's character as a kid with a weird upbringing but not so weird you can't tell where she's coming from.

I'm actually interested in what Jude thinks of him, since we didn't get too many indications of that this time through. He doesn't seem quite as hostile as Joey (he's kept his last name, for example). Dammek's outsider perspective on the situation might be interesting too, the same way Joey critiqued his relationship with Xefros. I suspect Dammek might like Pa, with their shared interest in guns and fighting and Pa's relative freedom in a not-run-by-a-tyrant world.

It'll also be interesting if Babysitter Lalonde shows up and meets Dammek, considering the future Mom Lalonde is going to meet baby Rose pretty soon and will go on to work for Pa for years to come figuring out the whole Sburb deal.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 19, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
pretty sure this is not the same universe as homestuck proper

we are in another iteration of everyone's favorite story that refuses to end, with similar-but-not-identical players

it turns out if jade has even the remotest understanding of what a social norm is she's significantly less cool with grandpa

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ze Pollack posted:

pretty sure this is not the same universe as homestuck proper
Pretty sure it's impossible to define which universe is Homestuck proper. Game Over

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pretty sure it's impossible to define which universe is Homestuck proper. Game Over

evidence for my proposal continues to mount at a frightening rate

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There is no way to know that the Homestuck universe we're observing is the same one from frame to frame, any continuity is merely implicit, true knowledge of Homestuck is impossible, the solipsists were right, Descartes never escaped his first meditation.

Cogitostuck

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
And now Prequel dropped an update, while Homestuck is relevant again, and I'm pretty sure steam suddenly pulled some mysterious download into Undertale quite recently.

Did all the old MSPA era popular people just make some kind of a pact for September 2017 or something

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Undertale update was just adding the Japanese language support they made for the console version. I don't think it did anything else

Also, played Hiveswap part 1. Kinda short but it's pretty good. Never frustrated me like most adventure games tend to. Music was not as memorable as I had hoped but was still good too. Liked the art a lot

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Undertale update was just adding the Japanese language support they made for the console version. I don't think it did anything else

It also restores some lines of dialogue that were present in the original data, but did not display in-game due to a formatting error. Most of them are in the Sans fight. Oddly enough, it doesn't restore all lines of accidentally dummied out dialogue, only most of them. It is kind of weird that they would wait this long to push a fix though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wonder if Hussie will go the grim route and have the epilogue feature a minor bit with Grandpa Harley and stuffed Jude and Joey.

(Yes I imagine the game will end with their fates not being a forgone conclusion.)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

hahaha this game actually came out?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
A fraction of it did. None of the content comes with LTI, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bilirubin posted:

hahaha this game actually came out?

Also it was charming and fun. Seriously, most of the early reviews contained the word "charming".

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Charming is a buzzword that bad reviewers use when a game's graphical style is cartoony enough, and the only people who would be truly charmed by Homestuck are people who always wished Homestuck was more like their own OC fanfics

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Charming is a buzzword that bad reviewers use when a game's graphical style is cartoony enough, and the only people who would be truly charmed by Homestuck are people who always wished Homestuck was more like their own OC fanfics
Or, you know, it's a phrase used by people who like non-FPS games that leave you in a good mood. Stardew Valley. Slime Rancher. Machinarium. Unless you're saying that every single non-realistic-depiction game is charming -- hellooo, Analogue: A Hate Story, Tropico 4, and Papers, Please -- then you're completely missing the point.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Are you implying that FPS games can't be charming

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Well, no, there's Undertale.

Edited because that was dumb.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, no, there's Undertale.

Edited because that was dumb.

Undertale was only 30 FPS, that's at least 30 less FPS than most games on the market

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

1 fps or bust

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

1 fps or bust

I think you have described "Choose Your Own Adventure" books?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Freak Futanari posted:

She mentioned Slime Rancher

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

maou shoujo posted:

It also restores some lines of dialogue that were present in the original data, but did not display in-game due to a formatting error. Most of them are in the Sans fight. Oddly enough, it doesn't restore all lines of accidentally dummied out dialogue, only most of them. It is kind of weird that they would wait this long to push a fix though.

I was under the impression they were dummied out intentionally because they're basically saying the same joke twice with worse timing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Or, you know, it's a phrase used by people who like non-FPS games that leave you in a good mood. Stardew Valley. Slime Rancher. Machinarium. Unless you're saying that every single non-realistic-depiction game is charming -- hellooo, Analogue: A Hate Story, Tropico 4, and Papers, Please -- then you're completely missing the point.

He kinda has a point. I often see charming used in situations where a game has a certain type of aesthetic and the reviewer (often) goes into it trying to interpret it in a positive way. It's sorta like the compliment you use if you can't think of anything else. Like, something can be "charming" and also have a good story, characters, gameplay, etc, but "charming" by itself is often used in reference to kinda mediocre games that people are trying to interpret optimistically.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think charming is an empty buzzword. There are games I like that were not charming, and games that were clearly trying to be charming that I did not like, and games that were charming but otherwise didn't have much going on for them. It does speak to a certain cozy aesthetic and pace, and when a game successfully charms you playing it can be thought of as a "comfortable" experience.

It's true that sometimes charm is used as a cover for a lack of substance, both in games and generally. How much you're okay with that is going to vary a lot from person to person and sometimes how seriously you're taking the game. A game with a lot of baggage and high expectations will have people seeing the charm as a deliberate distraction to cover up other shortfalls. I can admit that I thought Hiveswap was pretty thin content-wise, but that wasn't very surprising considering the apparent development hell it went through, so I'm pretty willing to settle for charm and will even be a little impressed if they manage to put out all the episodes they're planning (or to be honest, even one more episode).

On that note, has anyone heard any mention of plans for the next episode yet? I wouldn't be surprised if they're maybe keeping their heads down for a bit to see how it's received but it might be interesting to know if they've started on the next one at all or even (shock, imagine!) have a timeline in mind.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

KaosMachina posted:

And now Prequel dropped an update, while Homestuck is relevant again, and I'm pretty sure steam suddenly pulled some mysterious download into Undertale quite recently.

Did all the old MSPA era popular people just make some kind of a pact for September 2017 or something

They're just trying to pull the world back into 2015, because 2016 was hell.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Am i the only person that noticed that Hiveswap dropped Alternian being written Right-to-Left and bottom up?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zemyla posted:

They're just trying to pull the world back into 2015, because 2016 was hell.

How can you still be complaining about 2016 after living through 2017? Have you been in a coma for the past ten months or are you a misguided time traveler? Either way I feel like I should warn you: the situation has NOT improved.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
look can a dead poster please just hmu w/r/t the location of a device that will let me scratch the last couple of years of general uhhhh *gestures towards everything* i will happily field all complaints about canonical whatever in exchange

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How can you still be complaining about 2016 after living through 2017? Have you been in a coma for the past ten months or are you a misguided time traveler? Either way I feel like I should warn you: the situation has NOT improved.

Going back to 2015 would allow us to fix both 2016 and 2017.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

2017 owns though ???

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that homestuck clone with the oblivion khajiit came back after a 2 year hiatus

this is the only group on the forums that could even know what im talking about, so im telling you

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

that homestuck clone with the oblivion khajiit came back after a 2 year hiatus

this is the only group on the forums that could even know what im talking about, so im telling you

you want the general webcomics thread

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AriadneThread posted:

you want the general webcomics thread

my apologies

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bilirubin posted:

2017 owns though ???

Only because people are trying to take it back to 2015, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I just finished a complete reread of this titanic mess, because I have no respect for my free time.
I am apparently the only person who actually liked the ending, and I think it works better when you didn't wait like a year or whatever for it to come out.