Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn't the PC version itself just a port of a mobile version of FF9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't the PC version itself just a port of a mobile version of FF9?

It adds cheats and a speed up option that wasn't in the mobile version I don't think, but yeah. Unlike earlier games though they didn't redo every thing to look worse, the only way you'd know is the battle UI looks different.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Unlike earlier games though they didn't redo every thing to look worse, the only way you'd know is the battle UI looks different.

Booooo

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Speed up option sounds real good for FF9.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yoooo speaking of co-op how is Defense Grid 2 🤔 Didn't really hear anything about it. I suppose it's just more of the same. I know they added co-op. Is the co-op online? I'd be down to play through with someone if so. Still $15 tho :shrug:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
There was a lot about final fantasy 9 that I didn't like but having a speed up option would go a long way to making it playable. Still not a fan of the characters, battle system, or setting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Prey is ok. Its just really bland in environmemt, story, enemies, weapons,etc.

The play your way system sounds good but they design every room with so many ways in that its just meaningless. Instead of a largely different experience based on your skills you get much of the same but you moved boxes instead of hacking to get there.

The combat is bad feeling in my opinion. You move way too slow laterally to dodge and combat magic makes the guns feel anemic vs the spongy enemies.

The missions in the last 3rd force you through too many loading screens in too short a time.

Idk. Its fun. I expected better tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ff9 is cool i loved the nostalgia and the shakespearian bent

The skill/clothing system is cool too.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

So what's good for same-screen co-op? I want to play some stuff with a buddy.

Diablo 3 was a fantastic party game, but I think we're both a bit saturated with that by now.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is super good. Quite challenging as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I am really hoping that the new From game is at PlayStation Experience at the end of the year.

I'm hoping very hard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yoooo speaking of co-op how is Defense Grid 2 🤔 Didn't really hear anything about it. I suppose it's just more of the same. I know they added co-op. Is the co-op online? I'd be down to play through with someone if so. Still $15 tho :shrug:

I assume coop is online, since vs mode is.

I liked it. I have beef with the wcoring system of tower defense in general, because I think the quick and efficient kills should be rewarded.

But it's a really solid game, and I even enjoy the story

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FF9 is amazing and the only really bad thing about it was the slowness of the battles so fast forward will go a long way. I already have the Steam port but I'll probably get it on PS4 anyway lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I bought FF9 for the Vita and got the chef character before losing interest. Those quality-of-life features sound like I'll have one fewer reason to keep the Vita around

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

because of the bad loading times they sorta artificially slowed down ff9 and its loving miserable to play if you arent a teen with nothing else to do, so presumably the ability to speed the game up will improve the quality of life like absurdly much

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Weirdly I was just playing FFIX for the first time ever on my PS3 a few months ago, having got it for like $5 in some sale forever ago.

I played through the opening bit up until you get to the open world and then stopped, somehow instinctually knowing that the hundreds and hundreds of random turn based battles wouldn't live up to the promise of the completely charming opening act. Assuming I never play it again it will stay in my mind as the perfect throwback Final Fantasy that I never played. Almost like playing FFVII and stppping just after leaving Midgar.

I also stopped FFVIII after like thirty minutes but that's because I could tell it was bad and not gonna get better.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

Weirdly I was just playing FFIX for the first time ever on my PS3 a few months ago, having got it for like $5 in some sale forever ago.

I played through the opening bit up until you get to the open world and then stopped, somehow instinctually knowing that the hundreds and hundreds of random turn based battles wouldn't live up to the promise of the completely charming opening act. Assuming I never play it again it will stay in my mind as the perfect throwback Final Fantasy that I never played. Almost like playing FFVII and stppping just after leaving Midgar.

I also stopped FFVIII after like thirty minutes but that's because I could tell it was bad and not gonna get better.

Ya, I'd suggest finishing IX over playing VIII. Lots of people loved VIII, but after going through most of it once (and seeing my sister beat the final boss), I have little desire to ever play it again. In my senior year of high school, I got to the final disc of IX before I had to give the game back to the person I was borrowing it from since school was ending. I never picked it back up even when I bought the game itself. Well, I didn't pick that save back up and have restarted it a couple times.

Maybe I will give it a real go on PS4. OR better yet, see if I still have the save on my memory card (probably downloaded to my PS3) and see if I can just beat the boss with no context, ha.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's okay, the final boss has no context anyway.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Diablo 3 was a fantastic party game, but I think we're both a bit saturated with that by now.

Haven't played it much yet but I picked up Helldivers for co-op
It's basically Starship Troopers the twinstick shooter, and supports up to four people on one console. And it costs 12€ for the complete edition. My apologies, the Super Earth Ultimate Edition.

The 5 minutes I played seemed good, but YMMV.

And I saw Divinity Original Sin has local co-op with dynamic splitscreen. I never played that game though so I don't know how good it is.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 19, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Helldivers, definitely

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Helldivers rules as long as you don't plan on putting a significant amount of time into it, but it's a real boring, repetitive slog after like 5 hours. Still worth 12 bux though.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Helldivers is great if you only place occasionally with groups of friends. Playing it solo is equivalent to punching yourself in the dick.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://youtu.be/hKjOHtdmtao

Sony TGS starting in a little over 10 minutes, probably be some technical difficulties but come on in.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
This song in the TGS Intro is already getting this presentation off on the right start

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mr President posted:

This song in the TGS Intro is already getting this presentation off on the right start
Those songs are easily the best part of these Sony Japan conferences. last year's mogami moga + tofubeats team up was incredibly dope

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
They always nail the CM.

Showing Ni No Kuni 2 with English voices? Were there issues with Japanese voices that delayed it?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

MrLonghair posted:

They always nail the CM.

Showing Ni No Kuni 2 with English voices? Were there issues with Japanese voices that delayed it?

Call of the Duty with Japanese Dub
Ni No Kuni 2 with English Dub

lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm super glad that "next-gen EDF" just means same game but leaning in super hard on giant mecha vs kaiju stuff

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

mf doom a minecraft villain?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dissidia's new UI doesn't look as trash and OH BABY THERE'S NOCTIS

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So is that vanillaware giant robot game just dead forever now?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dedicated otome game corner holy crap

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
New Final Fantasy announced!!

Final Fantasy IX!!!!!!

Looks old school AF

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Hahahaha the Battle Ops 2 trailer into even had the Japanese confused until the legs came down

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

OH poo poo GUNDAM BATTLE OPERATION IS BACK

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
VR is still not quite ready for prime time. They should save this poo poo for next gen when they have better games and better processing power.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gundam Blops

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Policenaut posted:

OH poo poo GUNDAM BATTLE OPERATION IS BACK
Could you get out of your gundam in BO1? When they were showing dudes running around I was kinda disappointed it wasn't Operation Troy 2 tbh, although to be fair I never played that game I just thought it always looked ridiculous

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh yeah... I forgot they were making a VR Gungrave game

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gungrave VR, I don't care, I'm still excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

A-Train VR megaton.

NEVERMIND HERES THE REAL MEGATON