Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

It was a joke, but in the spirit of unfounded accusations and tesla hating; I'll be posting an NDA canary in each of my posts like this:

[Not Served With NDA]

If I fail to post this you know Tesla has completely corrupted me.

Ooops ok! But the thing about the 30 beta cars is still a valid conspiracy theory IMO.

[Not currently a sex slave in Elon Musk's underground lair]

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

McStephenson posted:

This thread is dumb.

I like electric vehicles and I'm excited to get a new 2017 gen 1 Nissan Leaf for ~15k after taxes.

Electric cars are pretty cool!

I thought "Hmm shouldn't Opel Amperas (Euro Chevy Volt) be pretty cheap by now. It would be a perfect intro to EVs for me, with the limited ability to charge etc". Then I went on the local ad sites.. $25k for the 150hp one. The 8x hp one isn't much cheaper. For a 5 year old car? Yeah no.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Anyone do long commutes on vehicles like the Volt? My commute is changing to a 100 mile round trip with 90 highway miles with a pay-for-charge station near work. I was looking to trade my Leaf but keep the advantages of an electric motor. Used 2014's are at pretty good prices.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My wife commutes a shorter distance, about 40-45 miles, that requires our Gen 1 Volt to kick on the gas motor a bit each day. Still get great mileage.

I'd say the only downside of your situation will be that the motor takes premium and gets around 35mpg. If the charging station is fairly priced I'd say it sounds like a good fit, otherwise I'd say it's about an equal fit along with a hybrid.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jabronie posted:

Anyone do long commutes on vehicles like the Volt? My commute is changing to a 100 mile round trip with 90 highway miles with a pay-for-charge station near work. I was looking to trade my Leaf but keep the advantages of an electric motor. Used 2014's are at pretty good prices.

Quoting myself

eyebeem posted:

I've been trying to eek serious ev range out of the cmax on my commute lately. It's about 75 miles round trip, fairly flat and 80/20 highway/surface streets. No traffic which means a lot of battery crushing freeway miles.

I'm pretty happy with this from 5.2kWh

Not a volt, which would work even better. I get a decent amount of range out of the cmax but it takes. A lot of effort. If I could charge at work at a rate that made sense I'd be able to do solid chunk of my miles in EV, which would rock.

Once I can get a good 200 mile range with enough autonomy to take care of my freeway miles, I'm all in.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

MrOnBicycle posted:

I thought "Hmm shouldn't Opel Amperas (Euro Chevy Volt) be pretty cheap by now. It would be a perfect intro to EVs for me, with the limited ability to charge etc". Then I went on the local ad sites.. $25k for the 150hp one. The 8x hp one isn't much cheaper. For a 5 year old car? Yeah no.

Yeah that sucks that you can't swing it/prices for the volt out there are dumb- I'm lucky to have a short commute and a 10k rebate from our power company for 2017 leafs.

Switching to a leaf makes sense for us, but I was looking at the Volt and was pretty tempted, I won't lie.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

McStephenson posted:

Yeah that sucks that you can't swing it/prices for the volt out there are dumb- I'm lucky to have a short commute and a 10k rebate from our power company for 2017 leafs.

Switching to a leaf makes sense for us, but I was looking at the Volt and was pretty tempted, I won't lie.

SDGE&E?

Yes, I am tempted. But I have these Carlsbad -> LA trips rather frequently.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

McStephenson posted:

This thread is dumb.

I like electric vehicles and I'm excited to get a new 2017 gen 1 Nissan Leaf for ~15k after taxes.

Electric cars are pretty cool!

Man that is a great price on a solid car. I paid $7500 for a 2013 SL 6 weeks ago, which just dropped the second bar of battery capacity. Only have a 12 mile round trip commute though, so it shouldn't matter how much it degrades. It's been fantastic so far around the city, and just charging it off normal 15A outlet. Now I'm just hoping for Nissan to fix upgraded telematics unit so I can turn on the HVAC remotely.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If you were able to time the hail storm in west Denver this May to combine with the Xcel $10k and the state $5k, you got a hell of a deal. I've heard of multiple folks (including myself) who got a sub-$5k net 2017 Leaf S.

I've already put 7,500 miles on it in less than 15 weeks, with 80% of my electricity paid for by my work and EVgo. I'm drat near getting paid to drive this thing

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

rhombus posted:

Man that is a great price on a solid car. I paid $7500 for a 2013 SL 6 weeks ago, which just dropped the second bar of battery capacity. Only have a 12 mile round trip commute though, so it shouldn't matter how much it degrades. It's been fantastic so far around the city, and just charging it off normal 15A outlet. Now I'm just hoping for Nissan to fix upgraded telematics unit so I can turn on the HVAC remotely.

I think the company manning the towers on the pager they put in the car went dark due to not making money to pay the light bill. Att.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are you looking for MY2013 cars? Because in NC 2013 Volts go for around $12k to $16k. Must be a Euro thing where electrics and hybrids are in greater demand.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Are you looking for MY2013 cars? Because in NC 2013 Volts go for around $12k to $16k. Must be a Euro thing where electrics and hybrids are in greater demand.

Taxes. They seem to be 15-20 k€ around here with 50-100k miles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Where exactly are you looking? There seem to be quite a few available for under 15k and 100k miles: https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...ay=KW&scopeId=C

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sweden. I think a there were very few new cars sold, and the few that are on the second hand market are very overpriced (like many EVs) and never sell. There are 2 for sale in the country last time I checked.

Actually, there is one 151hp one that just got reduced a bit. I'll be keeping my on it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is pretty cool. Some companies in Switzerland are going together to build an electric dumper truck. The really cool thing is that it will (might) generate more electricity than it uses, because the quarry it works is on top of a mountain so it descends loaded and ascends empty. 700 kWh pack.

https://www.empa.ch/web/s604/e-dumper

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ola posted:

This is pretty cool. Some companies in Switzerland are going together to build an electric dumper truck. The really cool thing is that it will (might) generate more electricity than it uses, because the quarry it works is on top of a mountain so it descends loaded and ascends empty. 700 kWh pack.

That's freaking brilliant. They are even talking about feeding the excess electricity back into the local grid.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If you live in Colorado, Boulder Nissan will sell you a Leaf for $10.8 net after tax credits PLUS a free 36 month lease on a Rogue SV AWD. If you need two cars (especially one that's AWD for wintertime), that's pretty much the best deal I've ever heard of.

I'm going to see if I can snag a 36 month/15k/yr Bolt lease in CA for under $8k net once the CVRP is back in action again and Chevy is desperate to clear out year end inventory. Glad my folks live in CA :D

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

call to action posted:

If you live in Colorado, Boulder Nissan will sell you a Leaf for $10.8 net after tax credits PLUS a free 36 month lease on a Rogue SV AWD. If you need two cars (especially one that's AWD for wintertime), that's pretty much the best deal I've ever heard of.

I'm going to see if I can snag a 36 month/15k/yr Bolt lease in CA for under $8k net once the CVRP is back in action again and Chevy is desperate to clear out year end inventory. Glad my folks live in CA :D

Are these deals limited to residents or something? That is a great deal for a household to update to 2 (hopefully reliable) vehicles.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phuzun posted:

Are these deals limited to residents or something? That is a great deal for a household to update to 2 (hopefully reliable) vehicles.

The $5k is residents only, I believe - it's instant at time of purchase, but I think you have to keep it in Colorado for at least a year. CA has deals that are drat near as good when CVRP is added to the lower prices that CA dealers have (believe it's due to manufacturers desperately trying to get CARB ZEV credits).

Note that the 2017 Leaf has a 30kWh battery with an 8 year, 100k mile capacity warranty.

call to action fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 21, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

call to action posted:

I assume there must be some fine print about lease busting the Rogue. OTOH anyone looking for a family CUV that don't need/can't use a Leaf might do this deal and sell the Leaf, meaning there might be a bunch of cheap 0 mile Leafs for sale suddenly in Boulder.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
You do have to be careful though, as the fed credits only apply if you plan on keeping the vehicle. Whether the IRS would actually fight you on it, I don't know, but...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keeping the vehicle for how long, though? Until the taxes for that year are due? Until the warranty runs out? Until seven generations of your family have lived and died?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In CA it was a year I believe. It'll be documented.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Someone on Reddit had a few problems with their Volt and left this with the dealership.

“Diagnosis: The ECM had to be reset or replaced or something, it was causing all the problems ever. And yes, it was covered under the electric warranty.
When I came in to pick it up and identified myself, they made me say "poo poo is hosed!" to multiple people, including the manager, before checking me out. Even the sales guy knew of me.”

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen that problem once and it was solved by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Voltage was on the low side but I'm running with it for now.

It's also common with Leafs that a bad 12V battery will make it seem like it's haunted. Turtle mode on a full battery, etc

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

call to action posted:

Jebus. I wish I lived in a state that offered EV incentives. Assuming you can only get $4k for the Leaf after 3 years, that's still under $200/month for 2 brand new cars.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if you could establish a Colorado LLC and buy it through that, or something. Maybe that'd screw up the tax credit though.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Joined the Dork Torque Brigade: 2017.5 Nissan Leaf SL, brand new, for 16k after taxes.

Happy with how it drives and glad that my city offered a huge rebate for people like my wife and I who couldn't truly get an EV without going broke.

edit: if you are a semi poor like me/can't drop 40k on a car check with your electric company, we wouldn't have found out about the 10k rebate offer if we hadn't dug around online. San Diego, Salt Lake City, Philly... there are tons of companies that seem to be dogpiling on trying to get old leafs off the lot so they can get that those sweet sweet Kw/hr dollars

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 23, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've never heard of a 2017.5 (how do they different from 2017) but nice snag. That price should only be possible if you stack a state rebate or a dealer discount on top of the 10k affinity/electric discount and 7.5k fed thing - which one was it?

Now get a Level 2!

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

call to action posted:

I've never heard of a 2017.5 (how do they different from 2017) but nice snag. That price should only be possible if you stack a state rebate or a dealer discount on top of the 10k affinity/electric discount and 7.5k fed thing - which one was it?

Now get a Level 2!

I think they did some small things to the car in May or June or so- we got the car with an electric company rebate, a federal tax credit and a state tax credit. We also traded in my 2013 VW Golf, which brought the price down.

And don't worry, we are already working on the L2 charger: the Siemens Versicharge seems to be the one to get. Any suggestions?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

McStephenson posted:

I think they did some small things to the car in May or June or so- we got the car with an electric company rebate, a federal tax credit and a state tax credit. We also traded in my 2013 VW Golf, which brought the price down.

And don't worry, we are already working on the L2 charger: the Siemens Versicharge seems to be the one to get. Any suggestions?

Also check into Clipper Creek. You can't go wrong with either

https://www.clippercreek.com/

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
A few non-employees have received their Model 3s. There's a lot of minutiae, pictures and videos here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Goober Peas posted:

Also check into Clipper Creek. You can't go wrong with either

https://www.clippercreek.com/

I have a Clipper Creek, and two friends have them as well. One with a Volt, the other with a Leaf. Good product, reasonable price, available for whatever special-snowflake installation you'd like. Cannot recommend highly enough.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I have a Clipper Creek, and two friends have them as well. One with a Volt, the other with a Leaf. Good product, reasonable price, available for whatever special-snowflake installation you'd like. Cannot recommend highly enough.

3rding ClipperCreek. I bought a ClipperCreek LCS-20 (hardwired version) for my '17 Volt via ClipperCreek's Amazon store. Simple, relatively cheap, and works well. The company is also known for great customer support if needed.

Also.. a little "secret". The OEM 120v EVSE supplied with the Gen2 Volt is made by ClipperCreek as well. It is also 240v capable with an adapter.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

tvgm2 posted:

A few non-employees have received their Model 3s. There's a lot of minutiae, pictures and videos here.

Very interesting. I'm still not at all sold on that touchscreen. Wish we had a review from someone who's driven it a couple hundred miles too... I'm curious about the suspension.

Exterior looks sharp. I still see "expensive Mazda 3," but I really liked the Mazda 3 so the resemblance is not a problem.

Make the cars Elon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

call to action posted:

I've never heard of a 2017.5 (how do they different from 2017)

McStephenson posted:

I think they did some small things to the car in May or June or so

This is some Germanesque engineering. :psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, I think all manufacturers are guilty of it to some extent.

For instance, Honda switched the design of the camshaft on my CL350 halfway through the 1970 model year and didn't document it anywhere. One of them gives better torque but blows up above 10,000 RPM, the other one gives better power but only at high speeds. So you just have to pop open the engine and find out what you got!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazda has done mid-year changes, usually toward the end of a model run with somewhat cosmetic changes.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ola posted:

I was just thinking about how cool something like this would be the other day and I'm glad someone is actually doing it, wish they had some more specs available though.

EDIT: Ah this is what I was looking for, the electric motor has 100HP more than the diesel it's replacing and more than 3x the torque, that's nuts.

quote:

Lithium Storage GmbH and Kuhn Schweiz AG disassembled the Komatsu 605-7 and replaced the diesel engine with a synchronous electric motor capable of 590kW (800hp) of continuous power and up to 9,500 Nm torque.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Platystemon posted:

This is some Germanesque engineering. :psyduck:

It's pretty normal, you do an early line changeover and then just run 2017.5s for like 16 mos or whatever.

• Locked thread