Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like Star Trek a lot (at least TNG and DS9) and Orville has to do more than just fuckin reference stuff from those shows, like have likeable characters and interesting plotlines which it certainly does not, and in fact I dislike it so much I am finding it hard to believe it can even get to that point. But whatever, if people like it that's fine, I just hope Discovery isn't dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mu Zeta posted:

It might be Awake. Jason Isaacs. It has the car crash, death, and two perspectives with the dream (or not dream) sequences being a different color theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNh0Z3t__2A
I really wanted to like that show but it turned me off hard when the conspiracy theory poo poo started up in the second(?) episode. Is it worth watching the rest? I was hoping it would just be a drama/mystery type of thing with an interesting framing device.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

I grew up with TNG. It was the first show I ever followed. I even bought a couple TNG novels and the Enterprise D Technical Manual.

The Orville makes me wish we had more Star Trek, but I don't mean Enterprise or the JJ Abrams films and certainly not ST Discovery.

Good news then, you got more coming!

and..... it probably will suck a fat one.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

misguided rage posted:

I really wanted to like that show but it turned me off hard when the conspiracy theory poo poo started up in the second(?) episode. Is it worth watching the rest? I was hoping it would just be a drama/mystery type of thing with an interesting framing device.

It's a really cool one-season show. Decent ending for something that didn't get renewed as well.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I like Star Trek a lot (at least TNG and DS9) and Orville has to do more than just fuckin reference stuff from those shows, like have likeable characters and interesting plotlines which it certainly does not, and in fact I dislike it so much I am finding it hard to believe it can even get to that point. But whatever, if people like it that's fine, I just hope Discovery isn't dogshit.

I really hope Discovery is good just to piss off all the trek fans

e: also orville is doing well in its first 2 eps because it was on after football. it will crater in its normal slot.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 19, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any UK crew watching Strike.

I started it, looks promising.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

There's a few books in the middle there that just DRAG, but if you power through it gets good again. The end was pretty good too.

When people talk about "nothing happening" in GRRM books, all I can think is "Clearly you've never read Crossroads of Twilight", book 10 of the Wheel of Time, in which literally nothing happens.

e: haha the very existence of this wiki page is great:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_shows_considered_the_worst

precision fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 19, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

misguided rage posted:

Well the conspiracy thing never went away and was the worst part of the show but I loved it regardless. I just thought it would have been better without the subplot.

As for ST:D, literally everything I hear about it since Fuller left the show has me convinced that it will be worse than ST:E by a long shot. I had such high hopes for it back when Fuller said he wanted to do an anthology series. Now they won't even let reviews out. When has that ever been done for a good show or movie?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I remember sitting and reading that page ages ago when I had downtime at work. I've always been entranced by this description Jeffrey Katzenberg gave of Siegfried and Roy's reaction to Father of the Pride:

quote:

"They laughed. A lot. They kept asking us to create more contradiction. Literally, one's blond and one's dark, and every aspect of their life is as black and white as that. They are always playful with one another, always playing tricks on one another. They encouraged us to have fun with that."

Amazing that it didn't work out. :v:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wandle Cax posted:

I really hope Discovery is good just to piss off all the trek fans

e: also orville is doing well in its first 2 eps because it was on after football. it will crater in its normal slot.

I'm definitely curious how much of it's success is the football thing and the fact it's the first of the fall shows. Obviously its scratching an itch Star Trek fans have but beyond that I'm curious to see if it has a lot of reach once there's tons of options.

Who knows, maybe there are way more Trek fans than realized?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

When people talk about "nothing happening" in GRRM books, all I can think is "Clearly you've never read Crossroads of Twilight", book 10 of the Wheel of Time, in which literally nothing happens.

e: haha the very existence of this wiki page is great:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_shows_considered_the_worst

Yeah, 8-10 are the worst from what I can remember. Like, I would never go read them again, but at the time I did, reading 1200 pages of bullshit was a thing I had time to do.

The reason Grum gets so much blah blah blah I've explained this before so let's not.

Hakkesshu posted:

Seth Macfarlane's entire purpose for being is references. I got just as sick of family guy as anyone, but the man knows how to make references.

That being said, after episode 2 I think I kind of like Orville, at least until it overstays its welcome like family guy. Fortunately there's a lot of Star Trek.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I used to enjoy watching both Survivor's Remorse and Ray Donovan but their current seasons suddenly don't do anything at all for me anymore. Anyone else watching these, is it me or the shows?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

The Orville ratings will be poo poo by the end of the season. You can quote me on that.

Yeah it's gonna be like AoS where they had an explosive series premiere in numbers and it trickled down by the end of the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Conservative View lady is leaving. I'm only mentioning it because her name is Jedediah. That's not even a boy's name that's a prospectors name.

Meaghehean McCain is rumored to be her replacement.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wow the Emmys were real bad this year

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you watch the Emmys and aren't paid to write about it, you deserve whatever you get.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's sad how quickly the Hollywood glitterati forgives piece of poo poo Sean Spicer because he does a 20 second bit on their handjob show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Of course Spicey is the kind of hack who wears a a notch lapel tux.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

precision posted:

American Vandal is on the level of like Nathan For You and Comrade Detective. It's so good and I'm only 3 episodes in.

I'm halfway through ep 2 and it's already one of my favorite shows. I love how they take such a serious tone over spray painted dicks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I liked the Handmaid's Tale but it was not the best show on TV this year

People's brains getting all twisted up by Trump

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
remember when everyone was saying handmaid's tale was like 'only two degrees off from being real life' and poo poo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

remember when everyone was saying handmaid's tale was like 'only two degrees off from being real life' and poo poo

Yeah remember when we thought a violently oppressive theocracy was the worst we'd end up with?

Someone needs to get a pilot for an adaptation of The Road together asap.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vegetable posted:

I liked the Handmaid's Tale but it was not the best show on TV this year

People's brains getting all twisted up by Trump

Curious which one of the nominees or shows you think were better? I didn't think any of the nominees were better, but I haven't watched BCS yet. We know that shows like The Leftovers and Halt & Catch Fire are not going to get a nod (which is sad). I can't think of anything that stands out enough for me to agree with you.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 19, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always find it funny that I pay attention to the hype around shows initially when they premiere or get a lot of attention, but then I tend to avoid them if I'm not watching so I always miss the point where opinion changes.

So I totally missed the part where Handmaid's Tale went from "OMG, THIS IS AMAZING!" to "eh, there's better and it could have ended better."

I'm also experiencing that right now as I binge Orphan Black which I remember having a TON of hype years ago but apparently I missed all the "its getting convoluted and weird and I quit the show" stuff I'm now experiencing first hand.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just read the book. Atwood's prose is amazing in that, and you lose it with a TV show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

I always find it funny that I pay attention to the hype around shows initially when they premiere or get a lot of attention, but then I tend to avoid them if I'm not watching so I always miss the point where opinion changes.

So I totally missed the part where Handmaid's Tale went from "OMG, THIS IS AMAZING!" to "eh, there's better and it could have ended better."

I'm also experiencing that right now as I binge Orphan Black which I remember having a TON of hype years ago but apparently I missed all the "its getting convoluted and weird and I quit the show" stuff I'm now experiencing first hand.

Same here. I just binged it last week, and walked away like this might be the best thing drama wise I've watched in 2017 outside of The Leftovers. I had no hype outside of my love for Moss and I read the book years ago.

That said I honestly believe there are currently no truly prestige dramas airing in 2017. Nothing that is up there with a Mad Men, The Wire, and so on. Maybe David Simon's new show will be, but I haven't watched it yet. I do label Master of None and Atlanta as prestige television, but they are not dramas.

Also to be clear I haven't watched BCS which I've heard great things about, but I have watched almost every other show that gets bounced around as the best of TV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Better Call Saul's definitely the currently airing show I'd risk putting in that platform. I'm hopeful for The Deuce and I haven't gotten around to The Leftovers or Handmaid's Tale. But yeah, for as much as I think there's a never ending supply of good-great TV out there for people these days BCS is the only one I can think of that really feels like "Must Watch" prestige drama along the lines of all those Mad Men/Sopranos/Breaking Bad/The Wire types.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Westworld was bangin and way better than Handmaid's Tale even if it isn't at must-see prestige level yet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BCS is way better than Breaking Bad and it annoys me that it gets so much less attention.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Westworld was bangin and way better than Handmaid's Tale even if it isn't at must-see prestige level yet

That is where I disagree. I liked Westworld, but it had ton more problems than Handmaid's Tale. It didn't even make my top 10 last year. I know its all subjective...

Still I am looking forward more to season 2 of WW than Handmaid's Tale. I feel like there is a good chance that many of my issues with WW can be fixed in season 2, while I could see the Handmaid's Tale getting worse as it leaves it's source material.

I actually thought Handmaid's Tale was a mini-series like 11/22/63, and was surprised when I found out it was coming back (which I did right after I watched the 8th episode).

FactsAreUseless posted:

BCS is way better than Breaking Bad and it annoys me that it gets so much less attention.

I am planning to correct this before the end of the year. I loved Breaking Bad, and keep hearing people say this.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 19, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Westworld had major characterization problems for me. It was pretty to look at but not much more.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It shocks me how few people are watching it given the obvious BrBa pedigree. It's got way more emotional impact than Breaking Bad did too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nate fisher posted:

That said I honestly believe there are currently no truly prestige dramas airing in 2017. Nothing that is up there with a Mad Men, The Wire, and so on. Maybe David Simon's new show will be, but I haven't watched it yet. I do label Master of None and Atlanta as prestige television, but they are not dramas.

What was Legion if not a prestige drama? Not to mention Patriot, Better Call Saul and hell, American Gods.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Curious which one of the nominees or shows you think were better? I didn't think any of the nominees were better, but I haven't watched BCS yet. We know that shows like The Leftovers and Halt & Catch Fire are not going to get a nod (which is sad). I can't think of anything that stands out enough for me to agree with you.

Westworld and Stranger things are better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Handmaid's Tale is really good, but I think its missteps ruin it more than a lot of the other nominated shows. Especially the whole "but what about the MAN??" episode, and the Feeling Good montage, and stuff like that (I think in general it disrespected its concept with too many MINOR VICTORY gently caress YEAH episode endings).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

What was Legion if not a prestige drama? Not to mention Patriot, Better Call Saul and hell, American Gods.

Hmmm Legion could be, I would consider it on the cusp. I should of mentioned it. I enjoyed American Gods, but I would put it on that level of Legion or Handmaid's Tale.

Halt & Catch Fire I would put up there too, but I know I am one of the few that would.

LionArcher posted:

Westworld and Stranger things are better

I disagree, but I will say I thought Stranger Things was better than WW.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 19, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's sad how quickly the Hollywood glitterati forgives piece of poo poo Sean Spicer because he does a 20 second bit on their handjob show.

Not everybody. There are still actors saying how terrible it was that he was there. Ron Perlman, Jason Isaacs and Brett Gelman all had some harsh words about him being there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah James Corden is unsurprisingly actively bad worthless trash.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Second episode of The Orville was much better than the pilot. It felt way more Star Trekesque than episode one, and I actually got some goosebumps while watching the credit sequence. It's so bizarre and wonderful to be watching something so close to an honest-to-goodness new Star Trek in 2017. I really do, deep down, want Discovery to succeed, but in my heart I know that if anything it'll tack closer to the Abrams films than TOS, TNG, or even DS9, which dosen't quite to it for me. Which is why I'm glad that The Orville exists, even though it's execution is flawed it still looks and feels like Star Trek.

Which can't honestly be said of the Abrams movies, with all of their dutch angles and shiny smooth surfaces and crazy stunts and effects. Trek is prosthetics and chintzy "futuristic" furniture—good-but not overwrought-production design—and practical, workhorse shooting styles and fight scenes. The drama in the show comes from the characters and story, not from the presentation. The Orville has all that, and I am glad to look past the casual dialog and occasional mediocre attempts at humor because it gets so much else right.

There's always a chance that Seth will reevaluate the need for "comedy" if he gets a second season and then we'll get the Trek show that Trekkies have been wanting since... well, TNG ended, I suppose. For now, though, The Orville will do.

You're saying it has that? From yours and everyone else's reaction who liked it, they seemed to just be responding positively to signifiers and odds and ends that tickles their nostalgia nerve endings.

e:

STAC Goat posted:

Better Call Saul's definitely the currently airing show I'd risk putting in that platform. I'm hopeful for The Deuce and I haven't gotten around to The Leftovers or Handmaid's Tale. But yeah, for as much as I think there's a never ending supply of good-great TV out there for people these days BCS is the only one I can think of that really feels like "Must Watch" prestige drama along the lines of all those Mad Men/Sopranos/Breaking Bad/The Wire types.

Patriot prob could be put up there, esp if the second season deepens things.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 19, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

You're saying it has that? From yours and everyone else's reaction who liked it, they seemed to just be responding positively to signifiers and odds and ends that tickles their nostalgia nerve endings.

Sorry, I shouldn't write posts half-asleep in bed, there was another sentence I meant to add to follow up on that.

The Orville's got a ways to go, character wise, but then again we're only two episodes in. There's some... decent enough drama involving a rookie officer in last week's episode, but nothing that hasn't been done before. There's potential for improvement, though I don't think we're gonna see any great dramatic turns out of MacFarlane or Grimes. The not-Vulcan, not-Klingon and Cassidy Yates characters are pretty compelling, though.

I will also say that The Orville does seem to have a lot more heart to it than any of MacFarlane's other shows. Which I guess isn't saying much. No one is a lovely to each other for the sake of comedy (even the interactions between MacFarlane and his ex wife are... mostly pleasant, considering).

Honestly, just give the first two episodes a try. They're pretty different, and by the end of the second you'll have decided if it's for you or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Better Call Saul is all the intensity and finesse in direction from Breaking Bad only it's applied to extremely complex character relationships and legal drama instead of crazy drug dealer power fantasies, which is why it's so effective. There was one episode in particular this last season, probably the best of the whole series, that was almost entirely in a court room and it was loving amazing.

• Locked thread