Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly, with a heavy alchemy build, armor levels basically become meaningless as one of your skills provides a percentage based protection against enemy attacks depending on which blade oil you're using. And as far as I know, the additional bonuses given by gear beyond armor rating stay the same in NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Honestly, with a heavy alchemy build, armor levels basically become meaningless as one of your skills provides a percentage based protection against enemy attacks depending on which blade oil you're using. And as far as I know, the additional bonuses given by gear beyond armor rating stay the same in NG+

if you use Mastercraft Ursine gear and that perk maxed out, you can get 95% DR against monsters.
Damage you take is reduced first, then applied to Quen.

I had to reset and remove that perk, because my Quen was lasting for like thirty hits when I bothered to cast it, on the highest difficulty, even against boss monsters. Pretty broken stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The best part is that as long as you sustain Quen you won't lose Aerondight stacks so beefing it up will give you a mighty godsword in record time as long as you're facing swarms of things.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
CDPR posted via Facebook that they're hiring gameplay designers for Cyperpunk 2077. Super stoked for them to create another game that devours hundreds of hours of my life and ruins other games for me!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I know this guy is just a dumb YouTube guy but he seems relatively good and non-fedora by the standards of games commentators and this has me sweating a bit

https://youtu.be/wBuoexbVEFE

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I know this guy is just a dumb YouTube guy but he seems relatively good and non-fedora by the standards of games commentators and this has me sweating a bit

https://youtu.be/wBuoexbVEFE

That sounds like every single other game developer. As an outsider, it looks like you can't work in game development without poo poo pay and terrible crunch periods. Also, surely it can't be a surprise that something's going wrong given how long it has been since new Cyberpunk info?
Just don't develop blind faith in a developer and start getting hyped ahead of time :shrug:.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GrossMurpel posted:

That sounds like every single other game developer. As an outsider, it looks like you can't work in game development without poo poo pay and terrible crunch periods. Also, surely it can't be a surprise that something's going wrong given how long it has been since new Cyberpunk info?
Just don't develop blind faith in a developer and start getting hyped ahead of time :shrug:.

This isn't "a developer." It's CDPR. Everything will be fine and Cyberpunk will be GOTY 2023.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

When has a top tier developer that probably makes more money now from their distribution platform ever not finished a game?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

This isn't "a developer." It's CDPR. Everything will be fine and Cyberpunk will be GOTY 2023.

Yeah exactly what I mean. Don't do this.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

When has a top tier developer that probably makes more money now from their distribution platform ever not finished a game?

No one's talking about the game getting cancelled, but being released does not automatically guarantee quality.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Capitalism is bad and dehumanising, pictures at 11.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I should have learned from Mass Effect: Andromeda. Don't do this to me again videogames.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

chaosapiant posted:

It will be GOTY 2077. It's right in the title.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I kinda skimmed the video but the takeaway for me is that CDPR is a lovely place to work, which is a bummer, but the leap from that to "the game will be lovely" is a little much.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Cyberpunk is going to be a letdown, purely because its following in the footsteps of The Witcher 3.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I get the impression most AAA studios are lovely places to work.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
They are, unless you somehow like working 60-80 hours a week.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Smol posted:

They are, unless you somehow like working 60-80 hours a week.

But they have ball pits and plastic slides!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If your thought process when hearing about poor working conditions is worrying about the quality of the game that will be put out, you should reevaluate your priorities.

I love The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, but I'd gladly take a worse/smaller game if it meant there wasn't a human cost to it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If your thought process when hearing about poor working conditions is worrying about the quality of the game that will be put out, you should reevaluate your priorities.

I love The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, but I'd gladly take a worse/smaller game if it meant there wasn't a human cost to it.

die for ur art bitch

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Let me get in on this, gotta look good for the thread too.
I'd gladly never play a single video game again if it meant that all the devs with bad working condition get good jobs in the IT industry instead. You people and your self-centeredness disgust me.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Well I mean yes but the two aren't mutually exclusive and really I think making a better working environment would directly improve the quality of the game.

I mean the guy's basic point is that they have some genuinely cool and excellent staff but management are awful, corrupt, and don't know what they're doing which puts huge pressure on everyone (for example by failing to hire experienced leads and demanding ridiculous hours, obviously being compounded because this leads to high staff turnover.

CDPR mass strike, form a workers co-op design studio. Makes the absolute best games as a result imho.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I've been playing through with the DLC, when is a good time to start Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine? I have just finished the Battle of Kher Moren and killed two of the crones

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I've been playing through with the DLC, when is a good time to start Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine? I have just finished the Battle of Kher Moren and killed two of the crones

finish the main game, you're pretty close and you'll want to be level 32 or so to start HoS

beating the main game only locks you out of quests with the major characters which you've already progressed past anyway

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, complete main game then complete Heart of Stone then complete Blood and Wine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would say maybe consider playing a bit of B&W to unlock the gameplay features in it, but otherwise vanilla ->hos -> b&w is indeed canon.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Well I mean yes but the two aren't mutually exclusive and really I think making a better working environment would directly improve the quality of the game.

I didn't really mean to imply they were, but some posters were basically getting mad about that stuff because it might impact Cyberpunk's quality, which is really quite an odd perspective to take.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GrossMurpel posted:

Let me get in on this, gotta look good for the thread too.
I'd gladly never play a single video game again if it meant that all the devs with bad working condition get good jobs in the IT industry instead. You people and your self-centeredness disgust me.

I will stab myself in the face if it means gamedevs don't need to cry any more (not deep, 2 or 3 stitches max)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean the guy's basic point is that they have some genuinely cool and excellent staff but management are awful, corrupt, and don't know what they're doing which puts huge pressure on everyone (for example by failing to hire experienced leads and demanding ridiculous hours, obviously being compounded because this leads to high staff turnover.

CDPR mass strike, form a workers co-op design studio. Makes the absolute best games as a result imho.

I just don't understand how capitalism keeps failing to create companies that release extremely high quality products for reasonable prices on a tight schedule while simultaneously compensating all their employees well and not overworking them. It seems like a no-brainer!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

I just don't understand how capitalism keeps failing to create companies that release extremely high quality products for reasonable prices on a tight schedule while simultaneously compensating all their employees well and not overworking them. It seems like a no-brainer!

It's because companies in a capitalist economy exist solely to create wealth for their owners, by making a profit.

So I finally took the time to check that list on gwentcards.com, and it turns out the two cards I'm missing in the base game are cards you get from playing NPCs. Which means I have to go through every shopkeeper, innkeeper and craftsman to find them. :suicide:

Also that guide says one of the Monster leader cards are given at the start of the game, but I only have one and that one isn't it. What gives?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

It's because companies in a capitalist economy exist solely to create wealth for their owners, by making a profit.

So I finally took the time to check that list on gwentcards.com, and it turns out the two cards I'm missing in the base game are cards you get from playing NPCs. Which means I have to go through every shopkeeper, innkeeper and craftsman to find them. :suicide:

Also that guide says one of the Monster leader cards are given at the start of the game, but I only have one and that one isn't it. What gives?

Should be able to figure out which area those cards are in, narrow it down from there.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Should be able to figure out which area those cards are in, narrow it down from there.

There's cards which are completely random, aren't there? I'm assuming the problem is that he has to find which merchants he hasn't won random cards from so far.
I had the same problem when I was missing Villentretenmerth, wasn't fun checking every drat village for people I hadn't played yet.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

my friend's birthday is coming up

he's never played the witcher and thinks i'm full of poo poo about how good it is but he's a total loving nerd for the elder scrolls

should i just get him 3 + expansions or include 1/2 in there as well? my goal is for him to watch that 10th anniversary video and get hosed up

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

jerry seinfel posted:

he's never played the witcher and thinks i'm full of poo poo about how good it is but he's a total loving nerd for the elder scrolls

should i just get him 3 + expansions or include 1/2 in there as well? my goal is for him to watch that 10th anniversary video and get hosed up

All of them, but get him to play 3 and the expansions first.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

jerry seinfel posted:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

All of them, but get him to play 3 and the expansions first.

yeah agreed, you can probably pick up 1 & 2 on sale for cheap and he can play them if he gets hooked on 3

but start with 3, CDPR did a good job of designing it to assume you're entirely new to the setting

just warn him beforehand that W3 will ruin the fun of every Bethesda game for him, then laugh and say I told you so when he finishes W3 and agrees with you

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Playing Hearts of Stone after finishing the main quest can gently caress up continuity because Redanian soldiers feature heavily and if you assassinated Radovid and vanquished Redania all of a sudden they're back without a word to say about it. It confused me the first time I played it until I realised post-game play resets the world to it's state right before you finish off some of the final quests.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not necessarily. It's still post game but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of time between defeating the Hunt in Skellige the fall of Novigrad to the black ones. At one point in HOS Geralt can even mention that Radovid is dead, but the war is still raging along the frontline

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Arcsquad12 posted:

At one point in HOS Geralt can even mention that Radovid is dead, but the war is still raging along the frontline
Ahh really? I was listening out for a mention of this but never picked it up. When does he mention Radovid's dead?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fuckpot posted:

Ahh really? I was listening out for a mention of this but never picked it up. When does he mention Radovid's dead?

It's later in the main quest after you visit Shani again following dead man's party.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Playing 1/2 after playing 3 is really rough. 1 plays like poo poo on a controller, which is a gamebreaker for me. And in 2, I'm struggling to get out of the first tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

There's cards which are completely random, aren't there? I'm assuming the problem is that he has to find which merchants he hasn't won random cards from so far.
I had the same problem when I was missing Villentretenmerth, wasn't fun checking every drat village for people I hadn't played yet.

Yeah, this is the problem. Though I've forgotten how the Gwent book works, maybe it shows you in what areas there are merchants you haven't played?