Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Efficiency...pure efficiency. Only need one crane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

so much for realistic physics this time :/

e: drat, this is the release version? Uh oh indeed....

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 19, 2017

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

tuo posted:

Not to mention https://clips.twitch.tv/ChillySourAuberginePeteZarollTie :smith:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If I see a video showing that the bug where 2 cars spawn in the same grid box is still there I'm going to laugh my rear end off.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

I dunno, reports vary, some saying it is some saying it's an old build. Looks eerily familiar though

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lol its the same game

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I dunno, reports vary, some saying it is some saying it's an old build. Looks eerily familiar though

If this is the build going out to streamers and reviewers, it's the release build. Also that Gamersyde dude came across more AI fuckery than just Monaco. Seems like they struggle with even a slight kink as turn 1.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ArbitraryDistinctHerdPlanking

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So they made a "new" game in order to get out from under that investment scheme the first game was.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

So they made a "new" game in order to get out from under that investment scheme the first game was.

Didn't they start collecting money for PCars2 right after releasing PCars1 as a buggy beta?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Well glad I can save a little money

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tuo posted:

Didn't they start collecting money for PCars2 right after releasing PCars1 as a buggy beta?

They made it very clear that PCars 2 would not be an investment and any money you gave them would get you the game, and anything else was a donation.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

They made it very clear that PCars 2 would not be an investment and any money you gave them would get you the game, and anything else was a donation.

The moment they did it was still not the best. People where rather disappointed in PCars1, especially in missing features, and they asked for pledges for PCars2 already. I don't want to talk poo poo about them, don't get me wrong. Imo, they made a cool game with very much content, but didn't get it to the point of polish they liked it to be and how they advertised it. I still think PCars1 is a cool game, and I am glad I purchased it. I wouldn't have pre-ordered PCars2 else. It was just unfortunate of them. I am looking forward to have some fun in PCars2, and I am sure I will have it, lovely AI and physics and all, if it's PCars1, but slightly better with even more stuff, it's fine in my book. It could be much more, of course, and it would be awesome if they achieved it, but if they didn't, I don't care too much. I enjoy PCars1 for it's fidelity and wide variety of cars, tracks and especially conditions.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
PCars 2 is a content expansion and a legal wrangle to escape their PCars 1 obligations and anyone viewing it otherwise is kidding themselves.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I watched some vids of the newly scanned Nordschleife, and it looks promising. Especially the section around Kleiner Sprunghügel and Hohenrein into Hatzenbach seem to be a bit closer to how they appear to you when you drive there in contrast to R3E and PCars1.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

This is just like every iRacing session that I ever participated in, so if anything it is more realistic than ever. My wheel has been gathering dust lately and I was hoping of getting PCars 2 to get myself back into racing games again, especially if people end up playing online even a little.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tuo posted:

I watched some vids of the newly scanned Nordschleife, and it looks promising. Especially the section around Kleiner Sprunghügel and Hohenrein into Hatzenbach seem to be a bit closer to how they appear to you when you drive there in contrast to R3E and PCars1.

Every version of the Nordschleife is built on the same laser scan data, the track owners scanned it and sell it as part of the licence now. Also I just remembered that they announced PCars 2 about a month after PCars 1 came out.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

njsykora posted:

Every version of the Nordschleife is built on the same laser scan data, the track owners scanned it and sell it as part of the licence now. Also I just remembered that they announced PCars 2 about a month after PCars 1 came out.

Hard to believe, driving it in different sims. Especially since the PCars2 version looks quite different from the Pcars1 version, especially around Kleiner Sprunghügel, which for example imo is way off in R3E. SMS also said that PCars 1 used the laser scan data that is available, while PCars 2 uses a newly scanned model which was not scanned with a laser attached to a car, but with multiple drone laser scans.

https://www.gtplanet.net/new-tracks-in-project-cars-2-were-laser-scanned-with-drones/

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 19, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It sure is good they're spending vast amounts of money to model every single fleck of rock and tar on a sheet of asphalt, and paying someone's kid brother at minimum wage to come up with their tire model.

Really appreciate their choice of priorities.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xzzy posted:

It sure is good they're spending vast amounts of money to model every single fleck of rock and tar on a sheet of asphalt, and paying someone's kid brother at minimum wage to come up with their tire model.

Really appreciate their choice of priorities.

One pays off in promo vids, the other not so much.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am readying my pitch fork

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tuo posted:

Hard to believe, driving it in different sims. Especially since the PCars2 version looks quite different from the Pcars1 version, especially around Kleiner Sprunghügel, which for example imo is way off in R3E. SMS also said that PCars 1 used the laser scan data that is available, while PCars 2 uses a newly scanned model which was not scanned with a laser attached to a car, but with multiple drone laser scans.

https://www.gtplanet.net/new-tracks-in-project-cars-2-were-laser-scanned-with-drones/

You can't laser scan with a drone, or at least there's no point to. The laser for the scan needs to be relatively close to the surface if you're actually scanning the tarmac and not just taking measurements, and if you're getting that close with a drone you might as well just mount the scanner on a car. Also laser scanners are big heavy things, way more weight than any commercial drone is capable of carrying. That's why the Nords scan data is uniform, scanning a track that size is a very large and expensive undertaking, so now the scan data is pretty much available to any dev who wants the track in their game there's no real point in rescanning it unless you want to make WE SCANNED TRACKS WITH DRONES a marketing point.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

njsykora posted:

there's no real point in rescanning it unless you want to make WE SCANNED TRACKS WITH DRONES a marketing point.

PCars 3 marketing VP spotted

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best argument I can see for using drones is doing lidar scans of the surrounding environment to try and get centimeter perfect model of the trees along the side of the track that no one gives a poo poo about.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Goodness is it already Goons Hating on Project CARS season again?

It's a good racing game. Lots of stuff improved from the first one. I'm looking forward to seeing how the online stuff is this time around, I haven't had a chance to try that out in dev builds.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Kilmers Elbow posted:

What time's the AC update due?

It finally landed a couple of hours ago. I snatched it up immediately and started out with the Ferrari 1967 F1 at Nords special event. Managed gold on my 4th lap with a 7:01 - which the RSR app claimed was a world record, but I'm afraid it's not updating properly.

The car is glorious.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Steen71 posted:

It finally landed a couple of hours ago. I snatched it up immediately and started out with the Ferrari 1967 F1 at Nords special event. Managed gold on my 4th lap with a 7:01 - which the RSR app claimed was a world record, but I'm afraid it's not updating properly.

The car is glorious.

Awesome, downloading now :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well, I've got yakcity sax ready for making vids

https://clips.twitch.tv/ToughApatheticOysterTriHard

:stare:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Eyud posted:

Lots of stuff improved from the first one.

such a shame its still gonna be bad.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

OhsH posted:

such a shame its still gonna be bad.

Don't worry, all of those promised improvements and features will be added in the next version, believe me.

It's a shame the game is so drat pretty and I won't enjoy it due to all its other issues... At least they did something right.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW: any CrewChief users on here?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

tuo posted:

Yeah.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, I use it for everything, even for AMS instead of the game's own spotter.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I used to use Crew Chief for pCARS and yeah, it's great. Hope he updates it for 2.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

Hell yes I love it.
Although for some reason at the moment at the start of every session he tells me my engine is toast.
Great program though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harminoff posted:

I was excited for ovals

:chloe:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Welp, glad I got into iRacing instead of waiting for PCars2

Vando posted:

PCars 2 is a content expansion and a legal wrangle to escape their PCars 1 obligations and anyone viewing it otherwise is kidding themselves.

Every racing game, just like every sports game, is barely an incremental improvement over the same engine and some of the same assets as the last game. That's a given.

But yeah, this seems to be a pretty minor update.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm gonna give pCars2 a try at least, I don't care how realistic it is or whatever, I just never really got on board with how driving subjectively felt to me in pCars1. If this fixes that aspect for me I'll happily give them 50 bucks to hoon around in the rain from time to time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Welp, glad I got into iRacing instead of waiting for PCars2

Every racing game, just like every sports game, is barely an incremental improvement over the same engine and some of the same assets as the last game. That's a given.

But yeah, this seems to be a pretty minor update.

I feel like Forza, with the exception of 5 has always been enough of an improvement to justify buying. PCars 2 is stuff that was ready for PCars 1 but they decided to save it for 2 for no good reason.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm also an avid CrewChief user. Don't even know how I was able to race before. It helps so much having a spotter especially directly after start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like Forza, with the exception of 5 has always been enough of an improvement to justify buying. PCars 2 is stuff that was ready for PCars 1 but they decided to save it for 2 for no good reason.

The first Project Cars wasn't entirely ready for release to begin with, I don't think it would have been improved by trying to stick even more things into the game.