Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So I managed to progress my game 20 years to 1319 last night. I took France, Portugal and now I have 85% threat, so I guess I'm chilling for a few decades. Made a bunch of vassal Kings and I'm hoping they go to town.

A few funny things I realized when I left Britannia: the Iberian muslims converted to Christianity. Armenia is still independent, but not miasphyte. Georgia is still independent. The seljuks have been reduced to a single kingdom. Yazidh, Sunni and Shia are all rocking a 30% moral authority, and the Kingdom of Jerusalem was founded by the Knights Templar 100 years ago.

Imperial rule is kind of garbage though because everyone keeps getting the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

really queer Christmas posted:

After the end is incredibly good, though it gets a lot better if you like in North America since you can play in "your own backyard" similar to the euros do. Though the new mechanics and new places are good even if you don't.

Yeah this is the reason I keep picking Quebecois characters even though they're way up on the edge of the map and are a pretty difficult start (I'm actually from Ontario but I find the Ursulines more interesting than the High Church). Did they ever fix the issue where Ursuline priestesses wouldn't appear in the religion tab? I haven't played AtE since several expansions ago.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh good, that's always fun. So I know the theory of rolling back a version, but how well does it work in practice, especially with mods?

perfectly fine, once you set a version to revert to, it won't change until you set a different version

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 17, 2017

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Today, after over 1000 hours of gameplay, I finally realized that you can search for specific traits in the Find Characters search bar by typing in their names, instead of scrolling through each character individually and checking for icons. I don't know whether I'm laughing or crying.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Catalina posted:

Today, after over 1000 hours of gameplay, I finally realized that you can search for specific traits in the Find Characters search bar by typing in their names, instead of scrolling through each character individually and checking for icons. I don't know whether I'm laughing or crying.

To be fair this wasn't a launch feature, it only was added like 6 dlcs ago.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently in the patch that accompanied Charlemagne? poo poo it's been 3 years

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

As long as the kid is of your dynasty, why worry? At least it isn't Baron Syphilis of Fucksburg's 18th bastard

Hello, new username.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this is the reason I keep picking Quebecois characters even though they're way up on the edge of the map and are a pretty difficult start (I'm actually from Ontario but I find the Ursulines more interesting than the High Church). Did they ever fix the issue where Ursuline priestesses wouldn't appear in the religion tab? I haven't played AtE since several expansions ago.
Yeah, ladypopes work now

Now, if only they could have societies, I wanna be a Scientician or maybe a Communist...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Having been reminded of its existence by previous posters, I've gotten into Elder Kings. This... will take some getting used to. Mostly because I want to play Khajiit and 16 years of regency every succession is going to hurt.

Also the Dragonborn was discovered to be some baron off in the isles north of Akavir.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 11, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I'm in a bit of a pickle in my Norway game. I'm trying to assemble the holy sites for reforming the germanic faith. I've captured one of the two holy sites I need, and the easiest one that I can see getting is the one in Sweden. However, I'm not sure how I can. I don't have subjugation available, and nobody in my diplo range has a claim to the county/duchy/kingdom. The kingdom seems incredibly stable, even after taking out the current king. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do at this point. I still need to raise my moral authority anyway so I'm not in a rush to do it. I'm just not really sure how to proceed besides just waiting and hoping things go lovely for sweden.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

So I'm in a bit of a pickle in my Norway game. I'm trying to assemble the holy sites for reforming the germanic faith. I've captured one of the two holy sites I need, and the easiest one that I can see getting is the one in Sweden. However, I'm not sure how I can. I don't have subjugation available, and nobody in my diplo range has a claim to the county/duchy/kingdom. The kingdom seems incredibly stable, even after taking out the current king. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do at this point. I still need to raise my moral authority anyway so I'm not in a rush to do it. I'm just not really sure how to proceed besides just waiting and hoping things go lovely for sweden.
You know you can still fabricate claims as a Norseman right? Just do it for the holy site counties. That, or wait; the next generation will have another subjugation CB and the one after that will have claims on the one they lost and be able to subjugate the third.

In any case, while that's happening, eye Zeeland like a loving hawk and burn down Ireland to raise MA. There's also a few isolated tribal places around the Baltic you can burn down. Conquests are also good; I love getting Man as a forward base for raiding and then that part of Italy on the islands that's independent.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I've had my chancellor sitting in Sweden for about half a decade with no claim triggering (he has around 25 diplo, so it's not like he sucks)

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What's in the next expansion? China?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CascadeBeta posted:

I've had my chancellor sitting in Sweden for about half a decade with no claim triggering (he has around 25 diplo, so it's not like he sucks)

He got bribed, switch him out a few times or put someone else in his place

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Christ. Is there a way to find out if he was besides claims not firing? I'm guessing he wouldn't have a modifier that states as such.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CascadeBeta posted:

Christ. Is there a way to find out if he was besides claims not firing? I'm guessing he wouldn't have a modifier that states as such.

No, just to be safe you can reset him every couple years or whatever. It's a bit of a pain but if a guy with that much dip hasn't gotten a claim yet then it's surely a bribe

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Good to know. I actually tried to grab Zeeland once before during a revolt, but he quashed the revolt real quick and sent me packing. The worst part as a Norse player right now is that it feels like I'm kind of just stuck. I don't make a lot of money so I need to do raiding, but in order to raid, I need to use my personal levies, and that saps my gold which I need to get from raiding. I don't think I've had more than 150 at one time in my coffers.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What? Use the marshals "raise raiders" option. Do you have enough land? You should also never forget the ABC (Always be Conquering), though now that defensive pagans can actually defend themselves its a bit trickier.

Are you burning poo poo down? That's the big difference in making pocket money and raking in the big bucks. And going all the way to Italy? The trip is long but burning down Venice and Rome alone should get you several hundred ducks a trip.

I swear, one of these days I'm going to finally do that tutorial LP I said I'd do...

edit: Also, I swear to gently caress, the goddamn muslims never, NEVER have liberation revolts. Meanwhile, the Norse can't take two counties in Ireland without getting slammed by the righteous Irish doomstacks.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 18, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What? Use the marshals "raise raiders" option. Do you have enough land? You should also never forget the ABC (Always be Conquering), though now that defensive pagans can actually defend themselves its a bit trickier.

My various Marshalls have triggered the raise raiders event twice in the time I've been playing, both for about 750 raiders. :shrug:

quote:

Are you burning poo poo down? That's the big difference in making pocket money and raking in the big bucks. And going all the way to Italy? The trip is long but burning down Venice and Rome alone should get you several hundred ducks a trip.

I have mostly been staying towards the north simply because I've had such low cash I can't afford to make long voyages.

quote:

I swear, one of these days I'm going to finally do that tutorial LP I said I'd do...

Hell, I'd participate in a tutorial megathread. I was just thinking about asking about interest in it earlier today.

Probably as Robert the Fox because that's someone I've actually had success with. :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Darth Windu posted:

What's in the next expansion? China?

Not as an on-the-map place, but yeah, China can gently caress with you and (apparently) be hosed with BY you.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Can't you conquer your fellow Norsemen as well? It's a pain but you'll eventually make it to the destination.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I have enough land that I'm hitting the vassal limit. I've conquered all of De Jure Norway and the southern kingdom (I forget what it's called and am not at my computer) through subjugation. I ended up granting the jarldom of Prussia independence because I was over my limit. I personally own 5 counties out of 7 total. My monthly income is a little over 2 gold right now.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

They're straight up implementing Ibn-Battuta's Legacy. Good mod, glad to see this.

Really hope they make North Africa viable next.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

My various Marshalls have triggered the raise raiders event twice in the time I've been playing, both for about 750 raiders. :shrug:

Each ruler can only get it every 10 years. They'll last forever though, so over time you can build up an enormous raiding force.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Can't you conquer your fellow Norsemen as well? It's a pain but you'll eventually make it to the destination.

You can do a conquest CB on any land or sea neighbour of a different religion. You need the Become King ambition to take over everyone in that kingdom's de-jour territory, but due to a bug I don't think has been fixed, that also uses your free subjugation CB.

CascadeBeta posted:

I have enough land that I'm hitting the vassal limit. I've conquered all of De Jure Norway and the southern kingdom (I forget what it's called and am not at my computer) through subjugation. I ended up granting the jarldom of Prussia independence because I was over my limit. I personally own 5 counties out of 7 total. My monthly income is a little over 2 gold right now.

Assuming you're still tribal your monthly income will probably always be garbage.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

That's enough for you to be able to hit Ireland with your levy and burn down the castles. It's enough, I think, to be able to burn down Venice too and some of the weaker one country British counties too; Kent and that area.

CascadeBeta posted:

I have mostly been staying towards the north simply because I've had such low cash I can't afford to make long voyages.
Take trading focus, debase like a mofo and pick the trading option. You need a bit of money to begin with but burning down a few temples should give you leeway to do it. I mean, heck, even just with a few town upgrades you shouldn't be losing that much money.

CascadeBeta posted:

Hell, I'd participate in a tutorial megathread. I was just thinking about asking about interest in it earlier today.

Probably as Robert the Fox because that's someone I've actually had success with. :v:
Yeah, and I did promise to show off how to do a Zun Empire run and uhhh, while pretty much that entire area will be changed with the next DLC, if I'd have done it when I wanted to it woulda been outdated already. (Because of Horse Lords)

Wait wait, 2 gold? Have you upgraded your towns at all?? This seems very suspicious tbh

Catalina
May 20, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

Yes. Pull up his character sheet and check how much money he has. The bribe amount is 50 gold, so if he suddenly has 50 gold more than he should, he's been bribed. This probably only works well if he's not a landowner, as a landowners may spend their income on demesne improvement.

CascadeBeta posted:

If you're playing Tribal Norse, the game is really meant for you to be raiding for income, rather than getting it from taxes.

I learned the basics here: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Raiding
And this video tutorial gets into more of the details, so that you can optimize it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49RSOybR7qA&t
Personally, I used about half of my own levies and/or my vassal levies and flagged them as raiders, because organize raid can be unreliable, and they can get pissy if, say, I'm driving my guys down to Constantinople and they feel like it's taking too long.
ETA: You can also see which counties will make the best economic targets by putting the map through the economy filter. The greener it is, the more economy it has. But sending a bunch of guys and burning down temples in a county isn't a bad option too, since it gives you like +1% religious authority each time you do and -1% to the religion you pillaged.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 19, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Can someone explain why these guys have such a huge army? And how are they paying for it? I looked up the mayor dude and he's still running a profit even with a 1000 soldier army in there. It's been there for years and I want it to go away.

I guess we could blame the wizard...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PureRok posted:

Can someone explain why these guys have such a huge army? And how are they paying for it? I looked up the mayor dude and he's still running a profit even with a 1000 soldier army in there. It's been there for years and I want it to go away.

Event troops, probably.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PureRok posted:

Conmacc has more troops than I'd expect, unless it's got a lot of territory. Other than that, the numbers looks pretty reasonable aside from the whopping 4,500 dudes from Gryffindor.

Must have been some kind of confusing confluence of events to make all those dudes from different realms all converge on one spot.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wizards count as a hundred dudes presumably

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've reached a peak in my Eire Irweddon Prydain game. Now that I've finally got an imperial title, I don't have to worry so hard about expanding on the island, and I can finally focus elsewhere. Only thing is, now that so many options are open to me, I don't really know which way to go next. Here's the map as it is:

My continental territory seems impressive, but that was just a bit of cleverness of marrying off an heir to the queen of France when it briefly broke away from the HRE. Somehow the duke of Poitou got really aggressive and conquered all this junk underneath me (he's even got a wee bit of Africa that you can barely see). Here's the direct vassals map:

The most obvious avenue for advancement is by fighting the HRE for de jure parts of France, but that'd be difficult and slow. My only ally's the king of Burgundy by this point, and after I made my heir the duke of Kent, he somehow went and made his heir a baron of some place in the HRE. Confusing. There's also still the Nadrid and the Abbasids for holy war, but they're both really tough. A couple crusades have already tried and failed against the Abbasids. I've also got a claim I can push for the kingdom of Sjaeland, but I'd like to have a more coherent plan than that to work with.

Also of note is the itty bitty de jure empire of Francia, which is probably the result of the HRE forming weird. I'm surprised that the duke of Brittany hasn't tried at least declaring himself a king to get more pull. The HRE's lousy with kings.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'd suggest a tributary war against the HRE, then drag them into wars in Hispania. Maybe the Baltic and Nordics?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm still not really sure how tributaries work, so I'm hesitant to get into them.

Also, I forgot to mention, but my ruler's a secret Fraticelli, and I've been leveling up through the Fraticelli Faithful, and I'm not sure how all that works either.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I hope with the optimisation work they got up to they at least break even with all the new counties they've added. I'm getting a Garamantes vibe off the map changes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm still not really sure how tributaries work, so I'm hesitant to get into them.

Also, I forgot to mention, but my ruler's a secret Fraticelli, and I've been leveling up through the Fraticelli Faithful, and I'm not sure how all that works either.
For the lifetime of your ruler, you basically have a state that gives you 40% of their income and you can force them into any of your wars and they can't say no.

This means you can force them into doing a bunch of the heavy lifting for you in wars, letting you then either join up with them or slam the Iberians from the other side.

And uhhh, if you're Frat you really wanna get Rome under control. Fab a claim, unveil and restore the fraticelli papacy.

Gray's; you now have your own personal crusades.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wasn't the thing about Zoroastrian incest in real life more like brothers/sisters would be MARRIED, but children would be produced through concubines rather than incest? Although I'm not sure if that really counts as them condemning incest so much as just being aware of the consequences of inbreeding.

quote:

In Videvdad 8.13, Ahura Mazdā gives rules for what kind of urine (maēsman) can be used to wash a “corpse-cutter,” the mortician: urine from animals is fine, but not that from people, except men and women in xᵛaētuuadaθa (incestual marriage). This injunction is reflected as late as in the Persian Rivāyats, where ḵᵛetyudaṯ is recommended to remove pollution (riman; tr. Dhabhar, pp. 292-93).

e: My focus studywise right now is all the non-standard Mazdaen religious movements. But sometimes the mainstream religion has its moments.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 20, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm assuming the after the end mod is also still fantastic? One I burn through playing all the ck2 and expansion stuff, then I'm going to start jumping to mods.

after the end has a few rough spots but it's completely amazing especially if you're a north american who doesn't know much about medieval european history and so a decent amount of the vanilla CK2 setting is opaque to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've got a save where the HRE keeps getting into a war with me with no declaration. No popup, no nothing, just all of a sudden a bunch of 10k stacks of soldiers who were wandering around my territory already go red, and there's nothing I can do. Why does this keep happening? It feels like some kind of bug.

It's extra annoying since I went through all the effort of waiting for the realm to prosper.

• Locked thread