Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

psydude posted:

I'm just confused as to why they didn't just tase him.

They'd probably just oopsie-daisie their way into drawing from the wrong holster anyway. Giving cops less-lethal options tends to just further discourage proper de-escalation since "oh it's non-lethal" (until the victim dies from sudden cardiac arrest because they are 90 years old and got tazed by a cop who thought 20k volts was just as good as staying cool and talking the old nutter down)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Trump is about to speak at the UN.
https://apnews.com/478fc1b5b39e4952ad8c850bdbfed122

Current Events September '16: Watch Donald Trump start a loving war.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FAUXTON posted:

They'd probably just oopsie-daisie their way into drawing from the wrong holster anyway. Giving cops less-lethal options tends to just further discourage proper de-escalation since "oh it's non-lethal" (until the victim dies from sudden cardiac arrest because they are 90 years old and got tazed by a cop who thought 20k volts was just as good as staying cool and talking the old nutter down)

:allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FAUXTON posted:

Ahh, proper understanding of deescalation raises its ugly head again. "Let's not issue non-lethal methods because idiots will just lethally misuse them by accident." Police departments are the ones who are very very wrong in this case.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This speech is a bunch of rah rah America bullshit.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Rocket man
Iran
Syria

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

could be worse, he could literally start a war

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
He's close... called out Norks now Iranians

Camera keeps panning and zooming in on the Iranian delegate

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Back to the axis of evil are we?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

It's happened in Bucktown and Wicker Park recently in my brother's neighborhood.

Eh, speak for yourself. Bay View owns. I live on the east side here and have nothing bad to say about crime issues in my daily life; I'd drown myself before willingly living in a suburban hell like Brookfield.

i'm not sure if you mean Brookfield IL or Brookfield WI, but they're both extremely rear end so I guess it doesn't matter

i was in a wedding in Bay View this past weekend and I need to spend some more time there

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DUDE WE'RE GOING TO KILL KIDS WHO WEREN'T BORN BEFORE 9/11 :getin:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yes. Let's poke at Iran who recently reelected the most liberal government since the revolution. No way that could backfire like when the Bush administration did it 15 years ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes. Let's poke at Iran who recently reelected the most liberal government since the revolution. No way that could backfire like when the Bush administration did it 15 years ago.

Trump is an idiot? You don't say.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trump is an idiot? You don't say.
An idiot who wants to destroy any progress Obama made.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Soylent Pudding posted:

GATech police don't issue tazers to their officers last I heard.

Batons? Are batons that expensive in Georgia?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

Batons? Are batons that expensive in Georgia?

Why do you hate are troops HEROES!?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You don't even need batons when you're three on one with a little skinny kid with a holstered multitool. Just calmly walk up and put your hands on him.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Casimir Radon posted:

I mean let's not let our distaste for Trump cloud the fact that the Iranian government, "liberal" in comparison or not, is one of the most regressive and malicious actors in the Middle East.

Sure, the KSA is poo poo too, but let's not forget that Iran funneled the $200 odd billion we unfroze and funnelled a huge portion of it into Quds force and Hizballah operations in Syria, as well as brutal Shiite PMUs in Iraq and the Houthis in Yemen. Whose flag, for reference, literally says "God Is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I for one appreciate the Houthi's forthrightness

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean let's not let our distaste for Trump cloud the fact that the Iranian government, "liberal" in comparison or not, is one of the most regressive and malicious actors in the Middle East.

Sure, the KSA is poo poo too, but let's not forget that Iran funneled the $200 odd billion we unfroze and funnelled a huge portion of it into Quds force and Hizballah operations in Syria, as well as brutal Shiite PMUs in Iraq and the Houthis in Yemen. Whose flag, for reference, literally says "God Is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam"

That's too long of a slogan to put on a flag. Like, pick 2.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We totally deserve whatever happens to us via Iran since we've only been loving with them for 60 years

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

The Iron Rose posted:

They're spending as much as Saudi is in the exact same wars. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Middle East policy never changes

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

What Donnie wants to do is backslide again. Nothing is going to change if we keep giving the mullahs excuses to paint us as the bad guys while we suck off the loving Saudis.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

DoktorLoken posted:

Looking it up on a map, it also took place on the same block as Jeffrey Dahmer's murder dungeon.

I always wondered if the cop that one of his naked, bleeding, drugged victims managed to get to after managing to escape got nightmares. You know, for buying Dahmer's claim of a simple lover's quarrel and sending the dude back with Dahmer before going on with his day.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:lol:
https://twitter.com/Rxbun/status/909555170996039680

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Holy poo poo. That picture of him really makes me want to give him a wedgie. Like if he was ever my boss that would be the first thing I do.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Oh no, where will this douchebag learn to be a vampire now?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Sexual Lorax posted:

Oh no, where will this douchebag learn to be a vampire now?

That's the problem with kids today, they all want to waste their money on some "fancy" degree. Do you think Lestat need some liberal arts college to learn how to be a vampire? No, he pulled himself up by his gothic boot straps and attacked prostitutes and drunks in the French Quarter like the lord of darkness intended.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Never trust an 18 year old who wears a suit.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

DoktorLoken posted:

In a bit of local news there's this absolutely crazy footage of a shooting:

http://www.wisn.com/article/milwaukee-police-homicide-state-street/12261479

Just normal weekend things in my city...

woah sup mke goon

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dusted!

Also enjoy having that pop up every time an employer googles you... although I guess in a lot of cases that might be a plus.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don't even need batons when you're three on one with a little skinny kid with a holstered multitool. Just calmly walk up and put your hands on him.

Yes clearly it's just as simple as that. No person wanting to commit suicide by cop has ever hurt a cop before, and he couldn't have a gun or different knife hidden on him.

Calmly walking up and putting hands on him is retarded. They should have tased him. If they didn't have tasers, they could have kept backing up until someone could get behind him and tackle him, but if they had to use deadly force (If he suddenly charged with the knife, pulled out a gun) that person would be in the line of fire, so that's probably why they didn't do that. They had their weapons drawn because he wasn't listening to verbal commands and was continuing to approach them. For all they knew, he could have a knife anywhere, and could decide to pull it out and charge them at any time during the confrontation.

They did the best they could in a lovely situation. They're not superhuman. They are going through a body alarm reaction, and they may be experiencing perceptual distortions (tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, etc) due to the adrenaline and other chemicals being dumped into their system. The guy turned out to not have a big gently caress off knife on him, but he easily could have and hindsight is 20/20. They didn't know that at the time. All they knew was the guy was armed with at least one knife.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They're spending as much as Saudi is in the exact same wars. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Middle East policy never changes

Ironic isn't it that when the Shah ruled it was Shiite Iran vs. Sunni Sauds for biggest gorilla in the middle East and the U.S. had to pick a side then and couldn't get it right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yes clearly it's just as simple as that. No person wanting to commit suicide by cop has ever hurt a cop before, and he couldn't have a gun or different knife hidden on him.

Calmly walking up and putting hands on him is retarded. They should have tased him. If they didn't have tasers, they could have kept backing up until someone could get behind him and tackle him, but if they had to use deadly force (If he suddenly charged with the knife, pulled out a gun) that person would be in the line of fire, so that's probably why they didn't do that. They had their weapons drawn because he wasn't listening to verbal commands and was continuing to approach them. For all they knew, he could have a knife anywhere, and could decide to pull it out and charge them at any time during the confrontation.

They did the best they could in a lovely situation. They're not superhuman. They are going through a body alarm reaction, and they may be experiencing perceptual distortions (tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, etc) due to the adrenaline and other chemicals being dumped into their system. The guy turned out to not have a big gently caress off knife on him, but he easily could have and hindsight is 20/20. They didn't know that at the time. All they knew was the guy was armed with at least one knife.

This could literally be used as justification to kill any and every suspect ever encountered. Well done.

By the way: We should never take POWs either because they are all probably preparing to kill you instead.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
It was pretty obvious they were having mental issues. Don't shoot people having mental breakdowns.

poo poo, risk getting stabbed, that's why you're a drat cop, part of your job is to put your life on the line to protect citizenry and keep the peace.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Trump lawyer Michael Says Who Cohen was set to testify to Senate Intel behind closed doors, then he blabbed to the media before the interview, against the agreement with Senate Intel.

Senate Intel then cancelled and wants to reschedule to make the testimony public, possibly might issue out a subpoena.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/910178560534511617

The moral is: don't leak to the media if you're testifying to Congress. It's the job of Congress to leak to the media, not you :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
More roofers die per capita than cops so obviously we should let them start taking claw hammers to people who put them in dangerous situations

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Counterpoint: stop being a little bitch and go hands on

Personally I find it hard to elbow a motherfucker on the face when I'm holding a firearm but that's just me

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ironic isn't it that when the Shah ruled it was Shiite Iran vs. Sunni Sauds for biggest gorilla in the middle East and the U.S. had to pick a side then and couldn't get it right.

Well whatever side we picked...our influence was probably getting kicked out. That is what I find fascinating about the Iranian revolution. Student revolution in the US meant a borderline Dionysian orgy with liberal politics the day after. The students of Iran got together and choose fuckin' Islamic dictatorship lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

More roofers die per capita than cops so obviously we should let them start taking claw hammers to people who put them in dangerous situations

I support unions standing up to management so I'm ok with this but the whole "x profession is more dangerous than policing" is a bit of a logical fallacy as you're comparing workplace accidents to adversarial encounters.

• Locked thread