Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Shima Honnou posted:

Red zone needs either beefed way the gently caress up or removed, there's whole videos out there of people actively seeking to die in red zone and it being too weak to hit them. As it is you can safely walk straight through one if you wanted.

It's a little more tenuous if you are driving something like a UAV through them, but in general I agree. Would like to see more of a messy line of guaranteed/dense bomb drops anchored somewhere in the red circle, similar to how crate drops always anchor to the playable circle. Something that would be more a realistic profile for bombs coming out of a bomber, and you could see the bombs in the distance and still get a chance to dodge left or right if you started running right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Actually being killed by the red zone would be incredibly tedious and the game already has an effective mechanism for getting players to move from fixed positions, the blue circle.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

qkkl posted:

What is it with game devs not making obvious quality-of-life improvements that would take 5 minutes to implement? My guess is it's there way of saying "this is OUR game, not yours, and we will do work on things WE choose."

Lots of other people already commented with the right answers, but I'll chime in as someone who does the art/QA for indie 3D games (not in Unreal like this game, but in Unity).

We've got a bug with our current game that is both months old and really annoying and also SEEMS simple enough to fix, but we can't loving reproduce it consistently so we haven't been able to fix it. I finally recorded a series of events that might give the devs some clue, but gently caress if I know. It has nothing to do with working on what we WANT, we just can't fix it yet because games are huge complex beasts and once we do fix it for all we know it'll introduce some other obtuse bug.

Shayl fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 19, 2017

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Someone post these AHK scripts so I can do stuff and win me some dinners

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i played like 350 games before i got hit by red, then it killed me inside of a building

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
The one time I've been killed by the red zone all it really did was put me and my friend out of our misery of being on the opposite end of the island and not finding a car.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I've been killed by the red twice.

The first time I was running through a field.

The second time I was in a house behind a closed door. The explosion right outside blew up the door and killed me.

Coincidentally both of these deaths were right after I started playing so for a while I thought the red zone was much more dangerous than it actually is.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Nobody likes the red zone, which I get in its current iteration. I don't think it needs to be removed entirely though. If the goal of the red is force players out of a spot on the map, a few tweaks would accomplish that.

The biggest reason the red doesn't achieve its goal is that it isn't threatening enough. Players simply don't respect it, and they don't need to either. Then when they do manage to die in the red, it feels bad because it's like rolling a 1 on a d20. There's an expectation that you'll survive through the red, and when you don't, it sucks. Very RNG.

Instead, the likelihood of dying while in the red should be ramped up considerably. Over the course of a red, it could do damage to 95% (or whatever) of the terrain. If you're outside during the red, you're almost certainly going to die. Increase the damage it does to houses too, so that hiding will probably, but not necessarily, keep you alive, but you'll need to heal. Now when the red appears players are going to know to get the hell out of dodge, because living through the red will be considered remarkably lucky.

You could offset all of that by giving the red a longer ramp up time so people can move, and probably toss in some additional warning sounds (e.g. air raid siren, distinct plane sound) that let the people in the red know they're the target.

I think a better solution would be to have the size of the explosions be much larger without each hit being as lethal, turn it into something that more consistently is able to actually hit players instead of being that ridiculous diceroll instakill. And have the rate of explosions ramp up, so people caught in the center have a reasonable chance of getting away while punishing people that linger or don't take cover.

underage at the vape shop posted:

i played like 350 games before i got hit by red, then it killed me inside of a building

I think they hosed something up a couple of patches ago because until then I hadn't seen red zone killing people through the roof of buildings, before that one would have to get you through a window/door.

hawowanlawow posted:

It's random and unlikely, that is what makes it funny interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjTKdQ5JPSU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
How do you even hear footsteps in all that audio mess? No wonder why I'm so bad at this game

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bhodi posted:

How do you even hear footsteps in all that audio mess? No wonder why I'm so bad at this game

Red Zones and Planes are more like opportunities to break for buildings unheard.

Because it's too loving smothering to hear anything else.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Bhodi posted:

Some people use the Loudness Equalisation setting in Windows which is like turning on that Batman sonar from TDK

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

qkkl posted:

What is it with game devs not making obvious quality-of-life improvements that would take 5 minutes to implement? My guess is it's there way of saying "this is OUR game, not yours, and we will do work on things WE choose."

"Five minutes to implement" or "just a few lines of code" is a sure sign of someone who has never programmed anything. Even if it is just a few lines of code, it's hours of testing. And it's never a few lines of code.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

"Five minutes to implement" or "just a few lines of code" is a sure sign of someone who has never programmed anything. Even if it is just a few lines of code, it's hours of testing. And it's never a few lines of code.

Uh you just go "Game.QualityOfLife = true", okay?

They're just doing it to personally spite players.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bhodi posted:

Pretty much what other people said. Turn loudness equalization on, be extra sharp during red zone/airplane if you're defending, take the opportunity to invade if you're attacking. Turn around a lot to get a directional sense from where the shooting is coming from.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
just got headshot in a single shot from 100 to dead while driving a car from a kar98 w/ level 2 helmet. wtf, gently caress this game sometimes

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hit in the face

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bhodi posted:

just got headshot in a single shot from 100 to dead while driving a car from a kar98 w/ level 2 helmet. wtf, gently caress this game sometimes

The only thing surviving a headshot from a Kar98 is a a level 3 helmet.

With full health.

That's why you see streamers get all giddy when they find it.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Make the red zone a deployed UAV that marks the map with player locations inside it's borders.

Or

Make the red zone damage over time players caught in it at a constant rate till they leave it's borders.

Now everyone hates the red zone and runs from it.

revolther
May 27, 2008

pocket pool posted:

Uh you just go "Game.QualityOfLife = true", okay?

They're just doing it to personally spite players.

Editing ini's is considered cheating now. :v:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Elentor posted:

Pretty much what other people said. Turn loudness equalization on, be extra sharp during red zone/airplane if you're defending, take the opportunity to invade if you're attacking. Turn around a lot to get a directional sense from where the shooting is coming from.

One thing that gets me a lot is figuring out which floor someone is on a building. The hospital is really bad for this, I've been killed by someone coming from the middle catwalk because I thought they were a floor above me and I was watching the stairs.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I feel like the redzones should either not exist or just outright kill anyone not in shelter. They are too random to be part of competitive game play.

Also I have said it before but the mini-14 should not come with a stock and then you have to find the wire stock to make it close to how it currently is. The wire stock is only used on a single weapon and it would be nice to change that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gently caress competitive gameplay

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in favor of either removing red zones entirely or buffing them. Right now they're just boring.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
the future of pubg streamers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i-4ZFl8P5U

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Expand redzones.
Minezones: permanent airdropped mines outside the final circle
Gas-zones: lose health at constant tick unless you have a gas mask, though that would be weird with the gas masks being cosmetic options
Firebombs: smoke reduces visibility, fire burns for some time
Redzone: buffed redzones
Fogzone: thick fog covers large area (way thicker than weather fog)
Blazezone: Hallucinogenic mist covers area 420 blaze it

Also add zones concurrent with some drops, enticing people to brave the zone for loot.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Black Griffon posted:

Expand redzones.
Gas-zones: lose health at constant tick unless you have a gas mask, though that would be weird with the gas masks being cosmetic options

Also add zones concurrent with some drops, enticing people to brave the zone for loot.

epilepsy-zone: constantly flashing lights to weed out the weak

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I certainly wish the map was more dynamic than...not at all. Destructible buildings would help certainly though overall, things that move would go a long way into it not feeling like, well, a flat game map. Maybe the banks of the river would overflow during the rain. Maybe water would pool in certain places, especially the underground bunkers. Maybe fires could break out. It'd be cool if it weren't just "foggy " or not, some areas that are more susceptible to fog could have it more often.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I certainly wish the map was more dynamic than...not at all. Destructible buildings would help certainly though overall, things that move would go a long way into it not feeling like, well, a flat game map. Maybe the banks of the river would overflow during the rain. Maybe water would pool in certain places, especially the underground bunkers. Maybe fires could break out. It'd be cool if it weren't just "foggy " or not, some areas that are more susceptible to fog could have it more often.

Weather condition and time changes. Like I said before, rip off BF1 and bring on the sandstorms and fog rolling in from a sunny day.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Doing true nighttime would require some equipment updates but it'd be cool for sure.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Stealthgerbil posted:

I feel like the redzones should either not exist or just outright kill anyone not in shelter. They are too random to be part of competitive game play.

Also I have said it before but the mini-14 should not come with a stock and then you have to find the wire stock to make it close to how it currently is. The wire stock is only used on a single weapon and it would be nice to change that.

This is one of the few games I've bought in the past decade that hasn't been heavily marketed as an e-sport straight from the beta. It's a real breath of fresh air, so:

hawowanlawow posted:

gently caress competitive gameplay

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Black Griffon posted:

Expand redzones.

Red Zone: Same as redzone but also plays this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1QcfQ7kos

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just want to suicide a UAZ through the side of a house.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
something that shows the direction to nearest enemy would be neat, i wonder how that'd affect gameplay. more shootouts i guess

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The red zone griping seems odd to me. I don't let it affect how I'm playing as far as fear of being hit by it, but I think it's great for attacking campers. I think it adds an interesting wrinkle to combat, without being obnoxiously dangerous. I don't want it to be more dangerous.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A friend had a good idea suggestion, mannequins.

Just like the guns and ammo, have 10-20 mannequins spawn all over the place.
Have them peeking out of windows or walking up and down windows every 30 seconds or so.
If you hit one, it announces where you are loudly.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That is not even remotely close to a good idea suggestion.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Banana peels that you can set on the ground as a slippery trap for other players!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
grenades that are red that seek out nearby enemies or blue grenades that aggressively track whoever has the most kills

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'd like to see a new map that's much flatter and without all the visual clutter. Something that's just you, the enemy, and the gun. Maybe not even guns; you could get rid of items entirely.

Also everyone looks like a fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
good idea suggestion

• Locked thread