Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What's good in the Twin Cities? Heading there in a few weeks for a long weekend and looking for eats, especially if there's a decent kbbq place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

angor posted:

Any good recommendations for Toronto? I'll be there for 10 days beginning of August.

When I go visit my in-laws in Toronto I always go to Ethiopiques Resaurant, Salad King, Hua Sang Cantonese Seafood Resaurant, and a bunch of random dim sum places up and down Spadina.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kalenden posted:

My companion and I are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part and will be visiting New York City soon. Commonly, we walk around the city the whole day and go for a very nice fine dining experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home or that are world-known to be superb. In London, for example, we had a world famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge ;-) ) and in the evening enjoyed a michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find in our own neighborhood, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. It was a great experience to do multiple diverse fine dining restaurants over several days and get to enjoy cuisines and styles we don't have back home (Belgium).
So, we enjoy unique/known places and fine-dining restaurants with tasting menu's. We enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, vegetarian, nordic, special, ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds, and generally go for those more unique experiences. Our budget allows for all possible options. What would you recommend for NYC?

If you can manage to get a reservation, Momofuku Ko is one of my favorite tasting menus in the city. Han Dynasty has a pretty good traditional chinese tasting menu. 11 Madision is great but pricey. The River Cafe in dumbo also good experience. You've cast a pretty wide net.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

If you can manage to get a reservation, Momofuku Ko is one of my favorite tasting menus in the city. Han Dynasty has a pretty good traditional chinese tasting menu. 11 Madision is great but pricey. The River Cafe in dumbo also good experience. You've cast a pretty wide net.

Wow, the River Cafe reopened? We went there on our honeymoon back in 2009, and it was such a beautiful place with a gorgeous view, but I thought it had closed (maybe after Hurricane Sandy). That makes me so happy to hear!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm traveling for work in early September to Springfield, Ohio. I don't have high hopes that there's great food there, but does anyone have any recommendations? Any cuisine, any price point, I just want something good.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

The Midniter posted:

I'm traveling for work in early September to Springfield, Ohio. I don't have high hopes that there's great food there, but does anyone have any recommendations? Any cuisine, any price point, I just want something good.

I've heard okay things about O'Connor's, but this was from college students so your mileage may vary.

I'd suggest looking into Yellow Springs if you want a decent meal out - it's a bit of a drive, but since it's kind of a touristy town/hippieville they've got a lot of pretty decent restaurants. I enjoyed stopping at the Sunrise Cafe and Williams when I was last in town.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I am en route to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto currently. Any standout places or just types of food I really should try?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Go to a Red Rock if there's one nearby where you are for some bomb rear end roast beef bowl

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I'll be in Montreal for about a week starting on Wednesday, what are the good places. I'm obviously going to be checking out the city-specific stuff like smoked meat and poutine, and doing tourist stuff. there isnt really a cuisine I don't like and I will be fat, stupid, poorly dressed and speaking english so I'd like to visit places where I might not stick out like a sore thumb.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Leraika posted:

I've heard okay things about O'Connor's, but this was from college students so your mileage may vary.

I'd suggest looking into Yellow Springs if you want a decent meal out - it's a bit of a drive, but since it's kind of a touristy town/hippieville they've got a lot of pretty decent restaurants. I enjoyed stopping at the Sunrise Cafe and Williams when I was last in town.

Going to second this. Yellow Springs is pretty nice. I haven't been there in awhile but I liked Ha Ha Pizza and Peach's Grill. A little outside of Yellow Springs is Young's Dairy. They have pretty good ice cream. I also really like their cheese curds.

Inside Springfield itself, it's mostly just chain restaurants. I really like Schuler's donuts. They're mostly famous for their politically incorrect sign:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/schuler-bakery-politically-incorrect-sign-prompts-reaction/NAMSoWTq6YGMRinVmTtDnK/

If you've got time to travel farther, Dayton is about 30 minutes away and Columbus is about 45 minutes.

Edit:

I forgot that there's Guerra's Krazy Taco that's supposed to have authentic Mexican tacos, I haven't been myself.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 2, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Someone recommend me a cocktail bar in Houston.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Xun posted:

Someone recommend me a cocktail bar in Houston.

Nightingale Room
Also right next to that is The Pastry War, an awesome mezcaleria.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Anyone have food/bar recommendations for DC? The more unusual / local the better (I can always Google fancy places). I am returning to The Gibson but literally don't know any more than that

Hauki
May 11, 2010

got off on a technicality posted:

Anyone have food/bar recommendations for DC? The more unusual / local the better (I can always Google fancy places). I am returning to The Gibson but literally don't know any more than that

I liked rasika, jaleo, kinda blanking right now. The last couple times I was there I got stuck eating hotel food.

Also I'm pretty sure there's a D.C. dining thread.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Compass Rose was absolutely amazing. It's got a little bit of like every cuisine out there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey my friend is going to be in Copenhagen for an eight hour layover about two weeks from now. Is there anything he should hit up in that time?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Steve Yun posted:

Hey my friend is going to be in Copenhagen for an eight hour layover about two weeks from now. Is there anything he should hit up in that time?

It has been almost 15 years, but http://laglace.dk was good the last time I was there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Also asking as I will be there Friday night through Sunday afternoon with no real plans. Bonus points for suggestions on where to go for a beer & good bar food Saturday night.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Not a DC native, but I think I asked the good bar food/beer question here a couple years back and got ChurchKey as a suggestion. I was not let down.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Second Churchkey, Old Ebbitt's is also fun and historic. I thought there was a DC thread? I don't see it on the front page, but I know there are a lot of DC area posters here.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dear UK food goons: I'm heading to Manchester for a long weekend in a month or so, and am wondering if there's anything folks would recommend up there? I'm definitely looking for a good sushi place, although I'm generally open to whatever's cool.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Thinking of a road trip next weekend to Indianapolis Cincinnati and Louisville. Any recs? We tend to prefer divy-er spots than hipster small plates places. Also doing some bourbon trail stuff so any recs in that area would be appreciated too.

edit: We decided to spend a night in Cincy instead of Indianapolis, because Jungle Jim's. So any food recs for Cincy/near Jungle Jim's (Fairfield) also appreciated!

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 28, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Thinking of a road trip next weekend to Indianapolis and Louisville. Any recs? We tend to prefer divy-er spots than hipster small plates places. Also doing some bourbon trail stuff so any recs in that area would be appreciated too.

Dunno about those two places but if you drive through Bloomington, Indiana on your way and you like pizza, you absolutely have to go to Mother Bear's Pizza.

There's a bunch of good food in Bloomington but that's the one I remember the most. But if you say Bloomington enough times in an SA thread Bloomingoons will come flooding in :v:

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I'm spending a week in Haarlem and Amsterdam. Is there anywhere particularly good that's not tremendously expensive?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I asked about Scandinavia a few weeks ago, but I was hoping some people could also recommend places to have quick lunch in Iceland. I realize that's not a city, but we're going to be travelling the Ring Road over the course of 9 days, and we haven't really figured out much in the way of mealtimes, lunch in particular. If there are good places to eat at along the way, it would be helpful.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How long from now are you going to Iceland? If it's more than 9 weeks from now, you can pay someone to bury some sharks along the way to ferment for you ahead of time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Doom Rooster posted:

How long from now are you going to Iceland? If it's more than 9 weeks from now, you can pay someone to bury some sharks along the way to ferment for you ahead of time.

Nah, it's 2 weeks from Iceland. And we're not looking for anything fancy; just somewhere that's better than the sandwiches we're tentatively planning to pack for several hours of travel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

I've always been curious, do they leave the fin sticking out to give hikers a scare?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Could use some recommendations for Orlando, FL specifically around International Drive

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you check out the Florida thread in LAN, the most recent pages have been pretty much nothing but Orlando rec’s for a dude who just moved there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032523

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thanks, but most of those seem to be a bit far from where I'm staying, and time for meals is short (2 hour slots for lunch/dinner, including travel time from the hotel on International Drive). I'll keep looking through the list, though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Could use some recommendations for Orlando, FL specifically around International Drive

Any types of food you are looking for? Do you have a car? I live in Orlando and can make a lot of solid recommendations but a lot of them would probably require a car or at least some Ubering.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm only going to be there for the weekend, any type of food is great but as mentioned above time is sort of an issue and because of that distance is too. I can uber if needed. I was thinking of Nile for starters since that's only ten minutes away by car and a lot of people seem to have loved it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I'm only going to be there for the weekend, any type of food is great but as mentioned above time is sort of an issue and because of that distance is too. I can uber if needed. I was thinking of Nile for starters since that's only ten minutes away by car and a lot of people seem to have loved it.

Nile is tasty. We did a goon meet there once maybe like 6 years ago. The tough thing about I-Drive in general is that is super drat touristy and like 99% of the things there are chains, some major ones some smaller ones. Depending on where you are on I-Drive as well, it can take a while to get up and down it. There are still decent places there that are chains, but they're not unique if that's what you're after. If you don't mind small chains, Brick House Tavern has some tasty food and decent beer. Yardhouse across the street from there is sort of the same vibe.

There are some good places over in the Dr. Phillips area which isn't terribly far. The Whiskey is a great little bar that has really good burgers. Flipper's Pizzeria is pretty solid as well. There's also a Brazillian place called SteakOnFire that makes awesome sandwiches.

It definitely hurts you being in that area and being time limited. Much of the cooler places to go are closer to downtown. There is an area there called Mills 50 and it's full of awesome new restaurants.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'll be visiting Pittsburgh for a physics conference in late October. I'll be staying at the Doubletree downtown ~4 days. I'll be flying in, probably no car. Any particular restaurant I should go out of my way for? I'm a vegetarian if that matters.

Bonus points for bars in the area (physics conferences double as an excuse to drink). Preferably something not boisterous.

Also, my friend will be coming from Japan, so are there places open at odd hours? I figure his clock will be all mixed up so I thought I'd ask for him.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
There was a place in Pittsburgh called Conflict Kitchen where they would only serve food from a country that the US was in conflict with. I think it's closed forever now :(

The only other thing I know about Pittsburgh is there's a bar called Hidden Harbor that does great tiki - https://twitter.com/HiddenHarborPGH

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

angor posted:

There was a place in Pittsburgh called Conflict Kitchen where they would only serve food from a country that the US was in conflict with. I think it's closed forever now :(
Hard to turn a profit when your one and only dish is "tablespoon of rice and some grass".

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hard to turn a profit when your one and only dish is "tablespoon of rice and some grass".

Hey, congratulations on writing the single stupidest thing I've read all week! :)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Since your time is short and you can't venture far, consider:

Nile
Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza (Sand Lake)
Bento (Sand Lake)
Bosphorous (Dr. Phillips)
Texas de Brazil (lunch on Fridays is half the price of dinner, although you'll probably want a nap afterwards)
Maggiano's (a chain, but solid Italian food every time)
Bartaco (I haven't been yet, but I've only heard good things)

If you can make it to Universal Citywalk (my wife and I call it "Shittywalk"), Cowfish and Toothsome Chocolate Emporium are both good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If you could eat anywhere in Portugal and someone else would pay for it, no matter what, where would you eat? Because that's the situation for my honeymoon in June, and goddamn if I don't want to eat at a Michelin starred restaurant at least once in my life. My fiancee is allergic to shellfish, but other than that, we'll try anything, especially if it's spicy.

E: also, if you know any places there with good traditional charcuterie, I'd love to hear about it.