Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/05/rogers-unveils-new-unlimited-cost-cell-phone-plan/

E: for sort of telecom content, I recently caved to the devil and signed up with bell Fibe. After getting my bill explained over the phone and in an email breaking down charges I was slapped with a 55 dollar "DSL activation fee". Naturally it was impossible for them to reverse this charge aid said if I paid it they would credit me on my next bill. So they did the only reasonable thing and credited me for 50 bucks.

They just couldn't resist the chance to remind me of their complete content for every single one of their customers.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh gently caress off don't defend this poo poo. This is dangerous and likely illegal, and completely unnecessary. A phones OS version has literally nothing to do with whether or not it should be able to call 911 in an actual emergency. I work in infosec too so probably understand more than you the importance of updating operating systems.

Hi I work in telecom law and I'm not sure about "illegal" or "completely unnecessary", honestly:

1) Rogers is doing Unspecified Network Upgrades, quite possibly because the CRTC recently directed them to do so as part of preparing for upgrades to the 911 system, but maybe for unrelated reasons. I haven't dug into the technical weeds of the next-gen 911 system enough to guess what the details of those upgrades might be.

2) Reminder that 911, in particular, is complex for wireless devices than landlines because of the location issues (among other things), and both hardware designers and OS designers need to be cognizant of that. I remember an early HTC Android device that needed a special patch to be able to use 911 in Canada (or maybe that was just with Rogers specifically again?), for example.

3) That said, I'm not prepared to argue that Rogers necessarily has to do this upgrade in a way that breaks functionality for Samsung devices running old Android versions - none of us have enough information to determine this. But it is entirely plausible that they have more of a reason for this than "gently caress you, that's why", because actually, yeah, a wireless phone's OS has kind of a lot to do with whether it is able to use 911 services.

Is there any particular reason these people can't upgrade? Surely Rogers is meeting any obligation they might have if they provide the software update that lets these devices go on as normal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dallan Invictus posted:

Hi I work in telecom law and I'm not sure about "illegal" or "completely unnecessary", honestly:

1) Rogers is doing Unspecified Network Upgrades, quite possibly because the CRTC recently directed them to do so as part of preparing for upgrades to the 911 system, but maybe for unrelated reasons. I haven't dug into the technical weeds of the next-gen 911 system enough to guess what the details of those upgrades might be.

2) Reminder that 911, in particular, is complex for wireless devices than landlines because of the location issues (among other things), and both hardware designers and OS designers need to be cognizant of that. I remember an early HTC Android device that needed a special patch to be able to use 911 in Canada (or maybe that was just with Rogers specifically again?), for example.

3) That said, I'm not prepared to argue that Rogers necessarily has to do this upgrade in a way that breaks functionality for Samsung devices running old Android versions - none of us have enough information to determine this. But it is entirely plausible that they have more of a reason for this than "gently caress you, that's why", because actually, yeah, a wireless phone's OS has kind of a lot to do with whether it is able to use 911 services.

Is there any particular reason these people can't upgrade? Surely Rogers is meeting any obligation they might have if they provide the software update that lets these devices go on as normal.

If my mom has an S6, for example, that she keeps for emergencies only and doesn't know how to upgrade it or doesn't have wifi at home, has a life-threatening emergency and has to call 911 immediately only to find that her phone isn't permitted to, that's so many kinds of hosed up and 100% I would expect Rogers to be legally liable.

And that's just one tiny example.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If my mom has an S6, for example, that she keeps for emergencies only and doesn't know how to upgrade it

And keeps it charged and turned on in case of emergency, and pays for ongoing service but somehow ignores the messages from Rogers (the only messages the phone ever receives since she's using it for emergencies only) advising her to do so and how, not to mention the phone's alerts when an upgrade is available,

quote:

or doesn't have wifi at home

And doesn't do the upgrade for free OTA using cell data, and doesn't have a dutiful child to help handle technical issues for her instead of using her as ammunition for arguments with strangers on the Internet,

quote:

and has to call 911 immediately only to find that her phone isn't permitted to, that's so many kinds of hosed up and 100% I would expect Rogers to be legally liable.

I encourage you to read up on the duty to mitigate. When this happened in 2010 with the HTC Dream, Rogers warned all their customers to work around the bug, gave them instructions as to how, and stopped selling the devices until the upgrade was available. If they had not done so, they would have been liable. Since they did, the first question a court would ask someone who sued them is "why didn't you solve the problem by doing this, as the person you are now suing advised you to do, and why should we punish them for you not doing so?"

quote:

And that's just one tiny example.

They're providing the service as they are required to, they are upgrading the service as they are legally required to, and it turns out that because of some obscure wrinkle in how things work on their end and how it interacts with Samsung's notoriously poo poo hardware, those upgrades would mean the service doesn't work for certain people using an old OS version on a few devices that have access to newer software. How on earth is the best solution not "get the people affected to upgrade their software"? Especially since users should be doing so anyway?

If there was no fix available then sure, Rogers would need to do more both legally and morally, and they should ideally use backend solutions that don't permanently break functionality for people who need it. But that isn't even happening here, there is an easy solution readily available to keep that functionality. Is this really a hill to die on? There are so many better reasons to hate Rogers, why concoct elaborate straw men when you don't need to?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 31, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

And keeps it charged and turned on in case of emergency, and pays for ongoing service

You don't need any paid service to call 911

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Pivo posted:

You don't need any paid service to call 911

Yes, but if you're not a Rogers customer the issue shouldn't affect you? At least judging by everything we know so far.

Perhaps if you're closest to a Rogers tower when your emergency happens, but in that case if the call is refused couldn't the phone fail gracefully, fall back to another provider's tower and retry?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
It's so weird to see someone defend this. It's not a strawman, it's not some concocted elaborate hate mechanism. If someone gets hurt because they cannot call 911, are you going to say "well you should have upgraded your phone OS :smug::smug::smug:"

You're dying on the hill, not us.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

A building burned down here which maybe (?) could have been saved if we had 911. Guy from Newfoundland was on the premises, couldn't get through to 911, assumed his phone was hosed up so he drove to the fire hall to let them know. No one was hurt though, so there hasn't really been any pressure on implementing 911 service.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The carriers do tend to do their due diligence on stuff like this. Letters mailed to customers, discounted/free upgrades to (other crappy but working) phones, etc.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Explanation is not defense, and all I'm saying here is that doing this may have been more necessary than you think for several reasons, particularly because for smartphones details of OS and hardware are actually critically important to the thing's ability to, yaknow, be a phone, including making emergency calls - but I can't know for sure if it is because we're all just going on the secondhand summary of a leaked document that leaves out any details on what's prompting this.

What are you suggesting they have done instead, as people who don't make the phones and don't make the software either? You work in infosec, have you never gone forward with a breaking change in critical services? If you have, why did you do it?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Explanation is not defense

It's SA, these guys won't ever get that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dallan Invictus posted:

Explanation is not defense, and all I'm saying here is that doing this may have been more necessary than you think for several reasons, particularly because for smartphones details of OS and hardware are actually critically important to the thing's ability to, yaknow, be a phone, including making emergency calls - but I can't know for sure if it is because we're all just going on the secondhand summary of a leaked document that leaves out any details on what's prompting this.

You're going beyond explaining, you do appear to be defending, and have gone on a lot more than I have about "the secondhand summary of a leaked document that leaves out any details on what's prompting this". So let's both maybe step back until we see concrete info about this action.

Zigmidge posted:

It's SA, these guys won't ever get that.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to something you weren't taking part in.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I was enjoying actually learning a little bit about behind the scenes from him. The rest of you chucklefucks I guess are contributing by giving him reply fodder.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I was enjoying actually learning a little bit about behind the scenes from him.

Meh, I don't have any behind-the-scenes info here either, mostly public info that 90+% of people wouldn't go anywhere near if they weren't being paid.

CLAM DOWN posted:

So let's both maybe step back until we see concrete info about this action.

This is usually a good idea, yes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What are some reputable sites I could order in a Xioami or other Chinese phones from that carriers dont have?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Aliexpress, banggood, gearbest

If you want western sites, ebay

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Is there a reason you want a Xiaomi phone?

http://thehackernews.com/2016/09/xiaomi-android-backdoor.html

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

codo27 posted:

What are some reputable sites I could order in a Xioami or other Chinese phones from that carriers dont have?

DX.com is reputable and has a wide gamut of Chinese market phones.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

codo27 posted:

Newegg has a bunch. https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=xiaomi&Submit=ENE

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Just got one of those targeted upgrades from Koodo, 5gb/unlimited nationwide for $50 to switch from Public Mobile. Only thing that's making me consider it is the upgraded phone. Dunno though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why not just buy a phone somewhere else? Wow mobile has an offer where you can scam the iPhones for cheap, we're talking iPhone SE/6? for $270 all said and done after the shenanigans

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

Why not just buy a phone somewhere else? Wow mobile has an offer where you can scam the iPhones for cheap, we're talking iPhone SE/6? for $270 all said and done after the shenanigans

Can you elaborate?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wow-mobile-koodo-iphone-se-32gb-120-upfront-240-small-tab-new-activation-100gc-50-phone-trade-credit-2115910/

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm looking to pick up a pixel XL. I've got a retailer selling it for 749.99 new (128gb). Anyone aware of any better deals out there?

Incidentally I have a nice new oneplus 3 still under full replacement warranty if anyone doesn't care about major updates.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Public Mobile is bringing back the 12GB/90 day promo - at a higher cost though ($141 instead of $120).

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-province-wide-talk-global-text-4gb-45-more-2127890/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
:argh: Prices

Anyone need a referral for PM let me know ;)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

So glad me and the wife got in on that at $120. Never going to see a deal like that again in my lifetime

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

w00tmonger posted:

So glad me and the wife got in on that at $120. Never going to see a deal like that again in my lifetime

Reminder that we pay approximately the highest cell phone rates in the world and that data consumption will only rise. We'll see better in another five years. Perhaps Shaw will even have a worthwhile network by then...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
What we actually need are a bunch of MVNOs that aren't hot garbage such as the PM brand. Trade offs are fine, spotty coverage or 3G cellular not so much.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I finally got a modern smart phone and was hoping the original deal would come back one sweet day.

Now it seems certain it never will. :mad:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

shadow puppet of a posted:

I finally got a modern smart phone and was hoping the original deal would come back one sweet day.

Now it seems certain it never will. :mad:

I'd still do the new pm deal honestly, not o a contract s o I don't see why you couldn't do around later

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

w00tmonger posted:

It's like night and day how I used to use my cell phone before that plan and how I use it now. Not having to give a drat about data anymore has made my phone a thousand times more useful and enjoyable. Well, that and my new phone's better battery life.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Yeah gonna jump on that plan because right now I'm paying PM $120 for 6gb over 90 days. An extra $21 spread over 90 days for double the data is a no brainer. That said, if anyone needs a referral...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

It's like night and day how I used to use my cell phone before that plan and how I use it now. Not having to give a drat about data anymore has made my phone a thousand times more useful and enjoyable. Well, that and my new phone's better battery life.

I got my girlfriend on that plan. She went from paying Rogers over $150 per month to $120 every 3, insane what people will put up with. I'm still on that crazy Koodo SK plan and I'm not switching until data usage threatens to become a factor again.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

El Mido posted:

Yeah gonna jump on that plan because right now I'm paying PM $120 for 6gb over 90 days. An extra $21 spread over 90 days for double the data is a no brainer. That said, if anyone needs a referral...

shoot me a message jm20@cogeco.ca

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

im still on koodo skmb 57 bux post-tax per month but i have like 70 bucks positive balance on my tab and i'm gonna use that to buy an iphone x on oct 27 and i'm guessing they are going to call me and ask me to change my plan so this post has no point i don't want to change my plan so wish me luck

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One entirely unanticipated perk about Public Mobile (who I switched to back in July) is that they don't seem to charge PST to BC customers.

Means an extra couple bucks per line saved by having moved to PM 4GB for 37-38 from Koodo 5GB for 48-50

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That doesn't seem right, unless they've changed the laws I thought only basic cable and landlines were PST exempt in BC.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I had to guess, I'd say it's point of presence rather than "exempt" - company registered in ON, QC, or AB with no physical locations in BC so no requirement to register for and charge PST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If they are selling a service in BC that is to be used in BC they should still have to charge PST no?