Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

xzzy posted:

Guess the rest of the world hasn't heard the news yet because I downloaded everything in about 30 seconds.

Or maybe no one but us cares.

yeah first time my download linked from ipsw.me has not broken halfway through on the first try. early bird gets the worm I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I haven't kept up with any of the iOS11 changes and just jumped on the upgrade cold turkey. What am I in store for? Anything awful?

I'm a sadist at heart

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TraderStav posted:

I haven't kept up with any of the iOS11 changes and just jumped on the upgrade cold turkey. What am I in store for? Anything awful?

I'm a sadist at heart

It's fine and good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apple hasn't gone into specifics which of the USB-C power adapters they currently sell (29W, 61W, and 87W) will let you get the "50% charge in 30 minutes" that they quoted in the keynote. I'm sure we'll have solid numbers in a few days.

I imagine for an iPhone, the 29W will be more than sufficient since it can fast charge an iPad Pro 12.9".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In Chicago in meetings (usually in Seattle). Nothing yet. (OTA.)

[Edit] I'm on 10.3.3 but I may be opted into beta. Would I see major updates? (11?) or do I need to "opt out"?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 19, 2017

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i had 7.2GB free before installing 11. Now it claims I have 36GB free. What voodoo is apple doing here? Not that I'm complaining

e: this is on a 6s

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 19, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

emdash posted:

i had 7.2GB free before installing 11. Now it claims I have 36GB free. What voodoo is apple doing here? Not that I'm complaining

Quantum Spatial Folding.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's going to be nearly impossible to free up the 2 gigs for the update with my 16gb 6S+ and my apparently constant regardless of phone space eating bug.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
It just deletes apps temporarily to make space then reinstalls them for you.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You don’t need to. Same build number.

I did get new carrier settings on Verizon though.

For what it's worth I installed the GM version and I still got prompted to OTA.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I sure hope this update doesn't do my lil'iPad Mini 3 in. :ohdear:

Ars Technica's initial reviews of iOS11 on a 5S alleviate that concern, however.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Everything in iOS 11 has been really nice. The only complaints I've seen are that there are certain things it doesn't fix like Music/lockscreen glitches and missing 3D touch multitasking.

It makes everything so nice and smooth.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hnngh, the home button is back to being too quick to unlock and jump to home screen. I used to be able to disable "Rest finger to unlock" to get that first gen Touch ID feel; using the home button as a simple display toggle if I wanted to (e.g. scrubbing through podcasts/music, checking notifications.) Now it just ignores that setting and zips to the home screen with the slightest touch. I feel like this is a bug.

Also, having the same background image for lock screen and home screen is kinda pointless now that there's an ugly blurred/frosted panel animation transitioning between the two. I can't even tell what that's supposed to be since it unlocks so fast.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 19, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^ Feels right to me, it's like they sped up TouchID.

I love the Bounce effect for Live Photos, makes loopy loops so easy.

I got 2 more GB of free space according to Settings > General > About.

Killing background apps seems a LOT faster.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 19, 2017

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

No reason to buy it new when you can get them for less than $300 used now. If you're buying through Apple or a carrier, just get the 7 if you don't want the 8.

enojy posted:

Android and iOS are homogeneous enough these days that swapping back and forth between the two is relatively painless as long as you aren't my mom. Every Google app/service I can think of is available on iOS, but if you wanted to go whole hog and transition over to Apple services for cloud stuff, you'd enjoy somewhat better integration. That'd be the only hurdle I can think of, and it's not so much difficulty, just tedium.

Definitely consider a refurbished 6S instead of a new one. It's as good as new (new battery, shell, and anything else needing to be new) and provides the same 1-year warranty. Dunno if they come with the headphones, but the 6S was before the whole lol no headphone jack thing, so it's standard 3.5mm jack.

Unfortunately my freedom-hating country does not offer refurbished iphones, only ipads, ipods and macs :v: I guess buying refurbished from non-apple stores is not a god idea? Fwiw, I could buy a 128gb 6s, unlocked, from my provider for 620€.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

enojy posted:

Hnngh, the home button is back to being too quick to unlock and jump to home screen. I used to be able to disable "Rest finger to unlock" to get that first gen Touch ID feel; using the home button as a simple display toggle if I wanted to (e.g. scrubbing through podcasts/music, checking notifications.) Now it just ignores that setting and zips to the home screen with the slightest touch. I feel like this is a bug.

Also, having the same background image for lock screen and home screen is kinda pointless now that there's an ugly blurred/frosted panel animation transitioning between the two. I can't even tell what that's supposed to be since it unlocks so fast.

Go to General - Accessibility - Home Button - click "rest finger to open"

e: oops I get what you are saying now.

Over There fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 19, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Binary Badger posted:

^^ Feels right to me, it's like they sped up TouchID.

I love the Bounce effect for Live Photos, makes loopy loops so easy.

Oh yea, I imagine I'm an outlier in this behavior, since getting unlocked and to the home screen as fast as possible is a good thing. I just enjoyed dumbing it down for the 2nd gen Touch ID sensor, for the many times I just wanted to see the lock screen. I didn't mind it adding something like a 0.25-second delay to get to the home screen. I'll just have to get used to using the side button to toggle the display from here on out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This update reminded me I've been using the same wallpaper since iOS 8, the one with a closeup of part of the moon. Now I'm kind of thinking I shouldn't update it because I'm not sure how I could get it back.

I guess I could just google it if I ever wanted it again.

I am a very boring person.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
[quote="“Chikimiki”" post="“476554652”"]
Fwiw, I could buy a 128gb 6s, unlocked, from my provider for 620€.
[/quote]

Thats pretty close to 7 money though right? I’d rather have newer hardware, or else buy a used one for more like 300 euro.

Weedle posted:

Customizable Control Center so I can hide all the poo poo I never use.

If you haven’t used it, you’re gonna be disappointed:

Can only edit the single line of app shortcuts, cannot get rid of Apple Play toggle, Nightmode toggle etc.

And the music controls are baffling relegated to a tiny square that needs expanding.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

This update reminded me I've been using the same wallpaper since iOS 8, the one with a closeup of part of the moon. Now I'm kind of thinking I shouldn't update it because I'm not sure how I could get it back.

I guess I could just google it if I ever wanted it again.

I am a very boring person.

Can we do one of these post strings? It's been a long time. This has been my wallpaper and basic layout for years. I don't purge my inbox or texts if I read the preview. Usually texts from companies. Which are most of the texts I get :(

I don't pay attention to red numbers anymore.

also i don't use 90% of the apps on my phone. MusicID hasn't been opened in ages, nor has Sleep Cycle. Guess it's time to purge.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 19, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No because it will turn into a lot of people being mad about other people having numbers in red circles all over their screen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trigger loving warning / NSFL that poo poo :stonk:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Michael Scott posted:

Can we do one of these post strings? It's been a long time. This has been my wallpaper and basic layout for years. I don't purge my inbox or texts if I read the preview. Usually texts from companies. Which are most of the texts I get :(

I don't pay attention to red numbers anymore.

also i don't use 90% of the apps on my phone. MusicID hasn't been opened in ages, nor has Sleep Cycle. Guess it's time to purge.

Oh my god

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So fresh

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

what the gently caress is wrong with you

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

bend everything to the iron law of alphabetization. Well, kinda

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you don't arrange your apps by usage and reachability.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Use folders you goddamn monsters.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol if your unread mail number isn't in the five digit range

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that’s how I do it. Most used stuff at the bottom, less frequent as I climb the screen.

Also glad I did this because the little snapshot in the lower left that lets you save or edit when you take a screen shot is pretty neat.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
lol i just realized i changed the name of that one folder to "Entertainment" so that it should be moved to before "Extras". It's probably been like that for months. when you try to be ocd but actually just aren't observant :thunk:

and tu definitely comes before tw. wow, what a day for me

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 19, 2017

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I have fully rejected Android and have achieved peak non-customization enlightenment and have left the apps where they installed

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Noctone posted:

lol if your unread mail number isn't in the five digit range
i block gmail from showing numbers because it's always going to be huge

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also iOS 11 turned my phone into a mini oven. Guess it's digging away at my photos and poo poo, indexing the hell out of something.

So if you gonna update, have a power source nearby.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anyone tried iOS 11 on a 5s yet?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

So does the Bluetooth status bar icon no longer grey out when it’s on but not connected?

Weedle fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 19, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The home screen is for buttons. Folders go on screen 2.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Pivo posted:

The home screen is for buttons. Folders go on screen 2.

dare i ask what the other three screens are for?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

UGHGHHGHG

Co-worker just showed me Messages and Inbox home screens. What a pile of trash. What the gently caress Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

poo poo I never use like Shazam and Redlaser, and poo poo I shouldn't be caught using like Tinder because I'm not single and I don't gently caress around but hey, the app is there.

Last screen is for stuff Apple doesn't let me delete.