Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LOL my work-issued ipad air 2 will be getting the update

edit: just checked, it's actually an OG air

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

so do windows pcs

if new versions of windows are slower, which is rare, its due to added features. in ios they just make the existing features slower.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Binary Badger posted:

EXCUSE ME BUT I THINK YOU MEANT TO SAY "GRAPHIC NOVELS"
:goonsay:
theres a kate beaton collection there which goes a long way to redeeming it

which is immediately undone by the full set of scott pilgrim

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

LOL my work-issued ipad air 2 will be getting the update

edit: just checked, it's actually an OG air

actually now i'm curious how ios11 on it will compare to my nexus 5x with android 8.0. the nexus has twice the ram and a faster/more-core cpu but with 8.0 a few UI elements have started laggin' a bit

props to apple for somehow beating android to having a real, visible, first-party file manager app. android has one but it's just a helper that can be called when an app wants to let the user supply an arbitrary file

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lutha Mahtin posted:

android has one but it's just a helper that can be called when an app wants to let the user supply an arbitrary file
there's a file browser in settings, i think it was added in 7.0. you can also get to it from downloads

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
do iphones 8/ecks ship with ios11 pre-installed this time?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

holy crap how am i excited for an OS release. i thought all OS was POS???? but all these ipad enhancements will seriously improve my flows for the dumb forms and things i have to do all the time at work. for example it's so tedious r.n. to do my boilerplate documentation: fill out forms in pages/numbers, then export export export to an icloud folder, then go to mail and import import import to send them off

butt dickus posted:

there's a file browser in settings, i think it was added in 7.0. you can also get to it from downloads

yeah i guess i meant to say that it's not a real front and center "this is an actual app you might find useful" the way the ios Files app looks. the android one is just there for file-picking and light filesystem janitoring

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i'm gonna update my 5s because it looks like the new version will make it harder for me to crash my car for once

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

in ios they just make the existing features slower.

at least it doesn't become harder to use too

like basic settings in windows 10

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios is worse to use with every release. aside from win 8, windows is better w/ each release.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shaggar posted:

ios is worse to use with every release. aside from win 8, windows is better w/ each release.

yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion man

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
oh so now we are suddenly going to stop pretending that the concept of files confuses people. got it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Wheany posted:

oh so now we are suddenly going to stop pretending that the concept of files confuses people. got it.

Apple invented it so it must be great

ufarn
May 30, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

at least it doesn't become harder to use too

like basic settings in windows 10
or ios 7

the last couple of updates have felt like an incremental patching of that mess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wheany posted:

it does tho. like for real there's a generation of people who will answer the question "where did you save the file" with "in word"

i guess technically it's the concept of a filesystem that confuses them, but they confused af

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

looks like the update is out if you are in a hurry for some reason.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to wait for the first point release or more likely a few days from now when the red badge on the settings app enrages me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Crying havoc and letting slip the dice of war across the Rubicon.

:ohdear:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

quoting shaggar defending windows vista and ME

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

it does tho. like for real there's a generation of people who will answer the question "where did you save the file" with "in word"

i guess technically it's the concept of a filesystem that confuses them, but they confused af

the concept of files is a relic from the days when computers were primitive. people don't want files. they want their documents and their music and their pictures. the fact that these are implemented in hierarchical file systems is not something normal users should care about, just like they don't care that their email is on an imap server or in gmail or whatever, it's just emails in your mail client.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shifty Pony posted:

looks like the update is out if you are in a hurry for some reason.
good to know but work wifi is too slow. i do want to do the update so I can do the accelerated setup on my 8 on Friday tho

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
just installed it, stuff looks different, still cant go in to Phone settings with airplane mode enabled >:(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

the concept of files is a relic from the days when computers were primitive. people don't want files. they want their documents and their music and their pictures. the fact that these are implemented in hierarchical file systems is not something normal users should care about, just like they don't care that their email is on an imap server or in gmail or whatever, it's just emails in your mail client.

:agreed: i've said as much here before.

apple on the other hand has decided that people want to janitor files on their telephone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

quoting shaggar defending windows vista and ME

vista was fine. I never used me.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

The Management posted:

once you get past the amorphous blob of "my music" or "my documents" or "my pictures" you need to organize them somehow.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ultravoices posted:

once you get past the amorphous blob of "my music" or "my documents" or "my pictures" you need to organize them somehow.

But this is a presentation/content separation thing, isn't it? The user doesn't gain anything by having to manage the content so why force them to if it isn't strictly necessary?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
wait so is the ios relic browser good or bad?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Posting on the page corresponding to the size of video memory (in KB) in some of the higher-end Macintosh LC machines.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ultravoices posted:

sure. but mapping your music to a tree hierarchy hardly makes sense. there are multiple sorting dimensions. what you really want is proper metadata and views into that database along various axes. sticking artist/album/01-title.mp3 into your file system is just one way of shoehorning that metadata in with only one sorting axis.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
too bad we can only have one or the other

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

But this is a presentation/content separation thing, isn't it? The user doesn't gain anything by having to manage the content so why force them to if it isn't strictly necessary?

because some people are probably going to organize things in a way that is meaningful to them?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
iOS 11 seems good on my 10.5 iPad Pro

thx craig

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

sure. but mapping your music to a tree hierarchy hardly makes sense. there are multiple sorting dimensions. what you really want is proper metadata and views into that database along various axes. sticking artist/album/01-title.mp3 into your file system is just one way of shoehorning that metadata in with only one sorting axis.

tbh i'd take artist/album/01-title.mp3 over whatever the gently caress iTunes/Music.app is doing

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Schadenboner posted:

They shouldn't have to but the option would be available to them if they want to.

Apple did good in forcing developers out of their lovely habits, and can now make the option available to pro users without having to worry about developers using the file system as a lovely crutch.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Management posted:

mp3 genre tags sucks

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

The Management posted:

if the categories that the device is going to choose for you are meaningful and needs suiting, sure.

i'm going to bet that a user can do a better job deciding which photos are part of "boston vacation" than the device can tho.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

lol the google apps just ignore all this multi-tasking stuff

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
obscuring file location/naming/folder hierarchy was a good decision that was made by the teams who designed the iphone and ipad because those devices do not need robust storage maintenance

the fact that they're shoehorning it into ios 11 in the face of all evidence to the contrary is further proof that tim is terrified of samsung and other android manufacturers

the actual ridiculous-looking act of manipulating files on ios 11 is just the terrible cherry on top of the terrible batch of ideas he's had since the start of his tenure

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ios 11 is certainly snappier and quick loading on my 7 plus

but jesus gently caress the larger icons and the disgusting inbox/messages home screens are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

they should be stored in a tree hierarchy by album and then metadata can be indexed as well with the view being a combination of the two. the hierarchy gives you identifying information for the track which can be used to lookup metadata if it is missing.

• Locked thread