Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
That must be it because I've got really high soul memory. Oh well, guess I'll go back to defending the Belfries. That was really fun anyway :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you need to grind rat and bell, I think there's a respawnjng invader in the Grave and Sol, respectively.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.
Vaguely related, if I want to farm a certain kind of enemy, but I've wiped them out at this bonfire level, can I join the covenant in Majula to make them respawn and never not despawn, then talk to the cat to leave the covenant when I'm done?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yep.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It boggles the mind just how much hidden treasure is in each area and yet the critical path for most levels is very straightforward and can be done in minutes. I have yet to explore the poison tunnels in Harvest Valley.

If there where to be another Souls I'd want it to be like the Lost Crown Trilogy times four, and minus the optional poo poo parts. To my mind for the best experience you're better off skipping the Ancient Dragon, since he drops nothing unique, and everything to do with Cave of the Dead, Iron Passage, and the Frigid Outskirts.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Also, how often do y'all get to do PVP with the rat covenant? I got to invade a shitload as a Bellbro but I switched to the rats and didn't get any invades the whole time I was hanging out in Doors of Pharros yesterday :(

Rat Covenant doesn't get all that many takers, because most people hate getting summoned to a RatBro world, and the Doors of Pharros is an optional area. I usually just sat there while reading a book or doing something else and would spring into action if I heard the summon sound.

The problem is that there are many RatBros that are basically just dickheads that will gank you the moment you appear - which is super easy to do. It's still a bit strange though because if you do get summoned to a RatBro world there's no real risk to you... even if you die you don't lose anything. All the risk is on the RatBro themselves. Oh well...

That said, some of the most fun I had was as a RatBro, setting up a fun house of horrors and tormenting people at every turn, but not actually exploiting the most dickish things you can do so they actually have a chance. I used things like toxic cloud, camoflage, homing soul arrow etc to land the occasional cheap shot, but would run away afterwards so they could recover and continue on. I'd then have a final showdown on the narrow bridge leading to the exit if all else failed.

I've actually got some amazing videos of that which I'd happily share but I don't know how to edit them to blank out the names of the players that are invading...

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Soul Reaver posted:

That said, some of the most fun I had was as a RatBro, setting up a fun house of horrors and tormenting people at every turn, but not actually exploiting the most dickish things you can do so they actually have a chance. I used things like toxic cloud, camoflage, homing soul arrow etc to land the occasional cheap shot, but would run away afterwards so they could recover and continue on. I'd then have a final showdown on the narrow bridge leading to the exit if all else failed.

I've actually got some amazing videos of that which I'd happily share but I don't know how to edit them to blank out the names of the players that are invading...
Did the exact same thing in Vanilla DS2 but that was seriously some of the most fun/laughs I've had in any game, ever.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Picked this up after taking a break for a bit.

I just have the Miracle and Pyromancy achievements (and the 100% one) left to do, but I'm farming the Giant Lord before moving onto NG++.

Gonna plow through the third playthrough.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

That said, some of the most fun I had was as a RatBro...

:justpost:

Player names aren't really private info since you can match with them publicly. I wouldn't feel any compunction about posting unredacted player names.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

double post but holy gently caress I forgot how annoying Shrine of Amana is. From, please refrain from making another level with hard-to-see instant death dropoffs, six billion casters with homing spells, and water that slows your movement all at once. I just gotta get the last bonfire and then I'm done with this place.

On a brighter note, I found the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword in Tseldora, soooo I might use a soul vessel to respec enough Dex to use it in NG+. I've never used a BK weapon in these games for any significant amount of time, so I'm interested.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Noob here again, found the Bell covenant last night. Any tips for not sucking at PvP? I'm using powerstanced magic/fire longswords mixed up with sorcery / dark sorcery.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Dodge well? There's no real trick as far as I know, it's a combination of intense Souls combat and lag making that combat harder to time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

kilinrax posted:

Noob here again, found the Bell covenant last night. Any tips for not sucking at PvP? I'm using powerstanced magic/fire longswords mixed up with sorcery / dark sorcery.
- Practice
- Forward + R1 does an arm shove that seems useless until you realize that it knocks people's shields away, opening them up for a devastating normal R1 punishment attack. You will get so many shield-hiding cowards that way.
- Powerstance moves are usually not a good idea in PvP because they cost too much stamina and leave you unable to roll. You might be better served with an "easier" PvP setup to get into the groove, for example just get a Rapier upgraded alongside, buff it with the element of your choice (probably Dark Weapon), then poke away. Use the Leo Ring. I've had a disgusting amount of success just using this...granted, with an Ice Rapier, but it'll work with a normal one too, trust me. Other options: a spear, katanas (sigh), anything with a little range and reasonable speed, basically.
- Practice
- Once you "get" the flow of PvP, you can use whatever the hell you want.
- If you want to try for parries, don't use anything but the Buckler or Target Shield. It's both simpler than you think and more difficult than you think. At first, only use it as an "I'm going to lose anyway" measure. Don't forget to wait with the Riposte until they've finished sitting down.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Be sure to use a lot of gestures and woodcarvings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pvp is about using the pig shield, and apotheosis is when you parry with it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm usual terrible with PvP, but in my last run I spent far too long farming Heidi knights so I could get their armor and weapons, and all of a sudden I was just owning people left and right. I managed to get 4 or 5 kills in a row when going through Belfry Luna trying to get to the Gargoyles. I like to think that people just saw a Heidi Knight with a white spear and some primal fear robbed them of their ability to play.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Digirat posted:

Pvp is about using the pig shield, and apotheosis is when you parry with it.

I'd never considered this but I am now going to keep the PORCINE SHIELD ready to go for invasions.

Gerblyn posted:

I'm usual terrible with PvP, but in my last run I spent far too long farming Heidi knights so I could get their armor and weapons, and all of a sudden I was just owning people left and right. I managed to get 4 or 5 kills in a row when going through Belfry Luna trying to get to the Gargoyles. I like to think that people just saw a Heidi Knight with a white spear and some primal fear robbed them of their ability to play.

Ahaha this rules, and it would probably have the same effect on me if I had to PVP against a Heide Knight with a spear. gently caress those guys.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best thing to do in pvp is dance around at the edge of someone's range and then step forward and punish when they whiff

also, do anything and everything in your power to win. ignore anyone who ever tells you not to use something because of it being good, or "boring"(ie: my weapon doesn't work against it and that makes me mad)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've found having a good poise and just face tanking through someone is a pretty effective PVP strategy. Most people are used to having their attacks stagger an opponent, so it catches people off guard when they don't interrupt your attack

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My strategy is having a curved greatsword in the right hand and a rapier in the left. Big, heavy sweeping attacks that can be cancelled and switched up with a rapier stab. Also, offhand rapier gets a parry.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Got the Forlorn to show up twice today, just to die BOTH times due to getting knocked off the Black Gulch in one combo and then by offscreen spiders in Tseldora. gently caress my life. At least I'm preeeetty sure they'll try again at those locations, so at least I know it's...possible?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

:justpost:

Player names aren't really private info since you can match with them publicly. I wouldn't feel any compunction about posting unredacted player names.

Ok, happy to share.

Here are my two best RatBro videos. The 'Failure' one is actually the better one.

I'm sad to say they both end a little anticlimatically. I did have one 'perfect' run, which ended with a fight on the last bridge, the opponent knocked off with a sliver of health left. I heard them drink estus, and that sealed their fate as I did a plunging attack that killed them (and ALMOST killed me). Had they not drunk the estus at that time I would have let them go through the funhouse again. :P I wasn't recording videos though when that happened - it was that run that actually inspired me to record them, but I never had such a perfect run again unfortunately.

Failure:
(I died due to stupidity, but a great run)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEywfWmMSmg

Success:
(They died due to my stupidity, but a good run)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMXdTR0s9eU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

Ok, happy to share.

Here are my two best RatBro videos. The 'Failure' one is actually the better one.

I'm sad to say they both end a little anticlimatically. I did have one 'perfect' run, which ended with a fight on the last bridge, the opponent knocked off with a sliver of health left. I heard them drink estus, and that sealed their fate as I did a plunging attack that killed them (and ALMOST killed me). Had they not drunk the estus at that time I would have let them go through the funhouse again. :P I wasn't recording videos though when that happened - it was that run that actually inspired me to record them, but I never had such a perfect run again unfortunately.

Failure:
(I died due to stupidity, but a great run)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEywfWmMSmg

Success:
(They died due to my stupidity, but a good run)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMXdTR0s9eU

Awesome. Yeah, the end of the second run was great for you but he was a bit dumb just turning his back on an invader to fight a mob!

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Found Lost Sinner last night. That hurt, even compared to all the DS3 bosses. Even Nameless.

Does anyone know where's a good place to co-op to regain my humanity at SM 1.5M ish? Possibly related :-/

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Awesome. Yeah, the end of the second run was great for you but he was a bit dumb just turning his back on an invader to fight a mob!

I didn't actually mean to kill him though. I tended to make it a point to just hurt or torment the grey spirits when they're otherwise engaged - killing them while they're fighting the mobs is a cheap shot. I only fought to the death when it was down to just me holding the final bridge.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

kilinrax posted:

Found Lost Sinner last night. That hurt, even compared to all the DS3 bosses. Even Nameless.

Does anyone know where's a good place to co-op to regain my humanity at SM 1.5M ish? Possibly related :-/

Quick question, is the room totally dark? If so, explore around the outside of the boss building!

Soul Reaver posted:

I didn't actually mean to kill him though. I tended to make it a point to just hurt or torment the grey spirits when they're otherwise engaged - killing them while they're fighting the mobs is a cheap shot. I only fought to the death when it was down to just me holding the final bridge.

Oh okay gotcha. I thought you just wanted to finish him off at that point and took advantage of the lapse :D

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The first time I fought lost sinner it was with my torch and one handing a battle axe. It was rough but was drat cool to be honest.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

kilinrax posted:

Consider using the ring of binding if you can't get any soapstone hits & are running low on effigies.

What part of lost sinner is giving you trouble? Are there any particular attacks you struggle to dodge?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I have discovered through brief experimentation that the Ivory King fight sucks rear end if you don't get more Eleum Knights.

However, those Chaos knights are fun as hell to parry, so my single marathon attempt wasn't a total waste!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Lost Sinner really wants either a 100% block shield or proper Adaptability.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
95% physical block is perfectly fine if the stability and elemental resists are good. Watchdragon Parma supremacy.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I really gotta edit together a Powerstanced Mace Champion video. This build loving shreds bosses. I also had a ton of trouble with Lost Sinner on my first playthrough, but I just walked in and annihilated her this time, which fits the pattern of nearly all the bosses I've done this time. I'm at 40 STR, nearly 40 END, and 40 ADP at this point, so I just dodge super well and do massive damage with the powerstance moveset. The only thing that fucks me sometimes is stamina management because the powerstance moves use a crapload of stamina, but as long as I'm careful not to get greedy for damage then that doesn't happen too much.

This game is raining Slabs on me. I definitely don't remember getting this many when I played the base game, and only one of the 4 I've gotten so far is from the DLC.
And speaking of the DLC, gently caress these goddamn hedgehogs in Eleum Loyce. You can't even attack the fuckers with a short-range weapon without getting poked, and their actual attacks do absurd damage for what a puny enemy they are.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 21, 2017

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Playing through this for the first time. Beat the Sinner boss last night. It took me a dozen deaths before I gave up trying to dodge the thrust attack and just shield tanked it.

Healing is so goddamn slow in this game. Does the cast speed stat affect how fast I can chug and get back to moving?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

The Missing Link posted:

Healing is so goddamn slow in this game. Does the cast speed stat affect how fast I can chug and get back to moving?

Kind of - Estus chugging speed is based on Agility which can be raised a little by Attunement (which also raises cast speed) and moreso by raising Adaptability.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Estus speed and shield raise speed are both related to your agility.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

The Missing Link posted:

Playing through this for the first time. Beat the Sinner boss last night. It took me a dozen deaths before I gave up trying to dodge the thrust attack and just shield tanked it.

You can sip faster by increasing agility (which is derived from adaptability and, to a smaller degree, from attunement). It will always be slower than in ds1 or ds3, though.

Gotta roll to the side if you want to avoid the sinner's thrusts. If you dodge forwards or backwards, the hitbox stays active long enough it'll probably clip you.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Gotta roll to the side if you want to avoid the sinner's thrusts. If you dodge forwards or backwards, the hitbox stays active long enough it'll probably clip you.

UNLESS you have really good Agility. Then you can I-frame right through it no problem.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

What part of lost sinner is giving you trouble? Are there any particular attacks you struggle to dodge?

I just get smashed within two hits. The room was dark, so I was reduced to blocking, casting Dark Hail and then eating a hit whenever I tried to shug.

Quick question, is the room totally dark? If so, explore around the outside of the boss building!

Thanks for that tip, I got it!

That said - I'm really not enjoying this fight. In fact I went back to DS3 SL1, and I'm finding the Dancer is a more fun time (I still haven't beat her, but I've got her down to ~25%, which is more than I can say for Sinner).

Which makes me think my DS2 build just sucks. Which makes sense, it's a bit all over the place. Thoughts on a respec? http://soulsplanner.com/darksouls2/346

Str/Dex is because I was using powerstanced Longswords until recently, and I tried the Roaring Halberd, hence the high Vit.

I feel like I should consider taking my damage stats down to minimum and pumping Vigor so I don't get 2-hit and Endurance so I don't get guard broken. But this also feels like a fight that's just a bad matchup for a caster.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

It seems like your stats are hella spread out. STR/DEX/INT/FTH is a looot of stuff to keep up with, plus ADP tax and everything. Respec doesn't sound like a bad idea, honestly. Focus on a couple of main stats rather than being a jack of all trades, which rarely works out in Souls. My first run was a lot of fun using Drangleic Sword in a quality build, and if you wanted to add INT or FTH to that then that would be more focused than trying to do both IMO.

To make you jealous, I'll be sure to share that video I mentioned earlier of me smashing the Sinner with my powerstanced maces :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lost Sinner is one of the least bullshit bosses in DS2 honestly (at least until NG+), you just need to learn her timings and when it's safe to sip. Roll, don't block, she hits too hard unless you have a really good shield. You could respec for a bit more INT&FTH but you can for sure beat her with that build. Best way to deal with her as a caster is probably playing keepaway and spamming Dark Orb, you get more casts than Hail and a lot of the orbs in Hail will probably miss her anyway.