Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I got so incredibly excited for a second thinking I had missed something. And, well, I had, obviously, as I had no idea these existed, but then I laughed out loud to see A) console-only and B) the second game in the series is not for any of the same platforms as the first or third. ahahaha

Yeah, they're counter to the tabletop game in that they're literally just twinstick shooters with damage spongey foes. My favorite is Redeemer because they obviously wanted to do it as a Werewolf crossover but probably realized at some point they don't have the rights to that, so you're dealing with the... Pen... Genifex Corporation and nondescript werewolves that have some kind of corrupted counterparts...

They also have some silly bosses like a giant possessed teddy bear or a fomori (?) Santa Claus, I recall the scuttlebutt was that White Wolf was against that kind of goofiness, so the devs basically bargained them into allowing one such unserious boss fight per game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Clearly none of you remember the mega hit for everyone's favorite sidetalking game platform N-Gage, Rifts: Promise of Power.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not for the lack of trying. There have been at least five White Wolf video games (two Vampire games, three Hunter games) and a Werewolf one that was never finished. Palladium was trying to negotiate a movie production or cartoon for ages, and Siembieda would probably lose his poo poo at the idea of Rifts toys. A big issue with either is probably not being willing to just sell off all the rights, though, or give total creative control over to a third party. But there have always been attempts. Actually getting somebody to sign on to movie or the like these days requires a lot of "heat" or luck, though, and neither has had much "heat" since the nineties.

White Wolf would also have to address some of the really, really skeevy poo poo they have published to go mainstream as well. Secrets of the Black Hand, Freak Legion, or Subsidiaries are hard to explain to people not deep into the edgy goth-ish counterculture of the 90's, much less the deeply pedo-rapey parts of Exalted.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

whydirt posted:

Clearly none of you remember the mega hit for everyone's favorite sidetalking game platform N-Gage, Rifts: Promise of Power.

I actually picked up this game and an N-Gage (the N-Gage was rather cheap) as a joke. One, going by E-Bay listings, every copy of this game is already signed by Kevin Siembieda I swear. Two, it's one of the rarest N-Gage games as it came out only shortly before the system was canceled. Three... it's really, really tedious and grindy given you have to pay money for armor repairs constantly (the game even uses MDC/SDC). (It also has an early sidequest where a guy wants you to gather water samples for him so he can prove that D-Bees are caused by chemicals in the water supply and submit his research to the CS for publication. Yeah.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
NuWolf is apparently working on a Werewolf game, but seeing as how they announced it the day development started, and have promised an insanely quick release date basically no one is hopeful for it not being poo poo.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

White Wolf would also have to address some of the really, really skeevy poo poo they have published to go mainstream as well. Secrets of the Black Hand, Freak Legion, or Subsidiaries are hard to explain to people not deep into the edgy goth-ish counterculture of the 90's, much less the deeply pedo-rapey parts of Exalted.

Pretty sure that'd be inside baseball at best as far as the mainstream press is concerned. D&D hasn't ever really been excoriated for anything creepy in its closet in the mainstream (not counting the invented sins of the Satanic Panic). Nobody writes a review of Baldur's Gate EE and brings up all the awful poo poo around Drizzt, even though he shows up. It doesn't happen, at least that I'm aware of.

Not that the stewards of the present White Wolf particularly care, anyway.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

They already made a RIFTS movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgAeGUD2FU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I always regarded Megaforce as the official unofficial Rifts movie

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

gourdcaptain posted:

I actually picked up this game and an N-Gage (the N-Gage was rather cheap) as a joke. One, going by E-Bay listings, every copy of this game is already signed by Kevin Siembieda I swear. Two, it's one of the rarest N-Gage games as it came out only shortly before the system was canceled. Three... it's really, really tedious and grindy given you have to pay money for armor repairs constantly (the game even uses MDC/SDC). (It also has an early sidequest where a guy wants you to gather water samples for him so he can prove that D-Bees are caused by chemicals in the water supply and submit his research to the CS for publication. Yeah.)

...it's probably not, but that side quest sounds hilarious

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FMguru posted:

I always regarded Megaforce as the official unofficial Rifts movie

I saw both those movies in the theater and own them on VHS and DVD.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

LeSquide posted:

...it's probably not, but that side quest sounds hilarious

It was sadly very brief and 90% of the dialogue was the guy giving you the mission. Also, he does mention that he keeps sending his research to the CS and they haven't published any of it... which is probably because among other things, isn't literacy illegal/highly discouraged depending on the book in the CS? :P

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not for the lack of trying. There have been at least five White Wolf video games (two Vampire games, three Hunter games) and a Werewolf one that was never finished. Palladium was trying to negotiate a movie production or cartoon for ages, and Siembieda would probably lose his poo poo at the idea of Rifts toys. A big issue with either is probably not being willing to just sell off all the rights, though, or give total creative control over to a third party. But there have always been attempts. Actually getting somebody to sign on to movie or the like these days requires a lot of "heat" or luck, though, and neither has had much "heat" since the nineties.

Don't worry, this time they have Zak S onboard to write WW visual novels, so they're sure to find mainstream success now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gourdcaptain posted:

It was sadly very brief and 90% of the dialogue was the guy giving you the mission. Also, he does mention that he keeps sending his research to the CS and they haven't published any of it... which is probably because among other things, isn't literacy illegal/highly discouraged depending on the book in the CS? :P

Yeah, outside of a privileged upper class, and even then the reading list consists only of state-sanctioned books. Its implied at times that the upper class quietly flaunts these rules, but it's not consistent.

There are some major issues with this element of world building and running a highly sophisticated, modern military, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't remember anything really objectionable about Freak Legion, what am I forgetting?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Falstaff posted:

I don't remember anything really objectionable about Freak Legion, what am I forgetting?

Savage Genitalia, and the fact that the book explicitly calls it combining it with "inner volcano" for a "memorable night".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Aside from the gross powers, it's extremely painfully 90s. The intro comic is about a put-upon sap who becomes a fomor and kills his jerk boss, bitch wife, and bratty son, and that's immediately followed by every 90s teenager's favourite NIN quote. Being a fomor is compared to being raped, repeatedly. The book uses the word "rape" a lot.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 19, 2017

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

lol, yeah that would qualify. Thanks.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Halloween Jack posted:

every 90s teenager's favourite NIN quote

Which one are you referring to? I can remember several that were tossed around repeatedly in chapter headings back then.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The one that starts with "God is dead..."

The book has creepy stuff, and deadly serious stuff about how awful it is to be a fomor, and the rest is pure middle-school lunchroom humour.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Savage genitalia is the thing most people hear about from Freak Legion but truthfully not that many people ever even read it. I mean, there're the 'WW completionists', and then the smaller slice of the pie chart that is labeled 'people who actually want to play a formor' and the even smaller slice of 'GMs who think their exploding bile demon werewolf game mooks need 'depth'.

So I'm wagering Swedracula makes it a priority reissue.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Freak Legion also has a lot of misanthropy targeted at popular nerd strawfolks - you know that jock or frat boy or model that's more popular than you? Well, turns out they're subhuman mutants who made a deal with garbage devils and will eventually turn into cancerous bags of exploding pus!

Also hicks because yokels amirite. :pram:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty sure that'd be inside baseball at best as far as the mainstream press is concerned. D&D hasn't ever really been excoriated for anything creepy in its closet in the mainstream (not counting the invented sins of the Satanic Panic). Nobody writes a review of Baldur's Gate EE and brings up all the awful poo poo around Drizzt, even though he shows up. It doesn't happen, at least that I'm aware of.

Not that the stewards of the present White Wolf particularly care, anyway.

Yeah, the old stuff wouldn't become an issue until Swedracula dumped it on someone important's lap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I got so incredibly excited for a second thinking I had missed something. And, well, I had, obviously, as I had no idea these existed, but then I laughed out loud to see A) console-only and B) the second game in the series is not for any of the same platforms as the first or third. ahahaha

That Is So Tabletop(tm)

Dont worry, only one of them is good.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/cavaliers-of-mars-a-tabletop-roleplaying-game

Didn't see a kickstarter thread. They had me at "Mars has canals, therefore Mars must have Venice". Last tabletop kickstarter I backed was Blades in the Dark and that turned out real well. I've heard good things about Exalted 3E (relatively, for Exalted), but I know Scion had terrible mechanics--what else has Onyx Path or these specific designers done?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LogicNinja posted:

Didn't see a kickstarter thread.
It's here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777631

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LogicNinja posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/cavaliers-of-mars-a-tabletop-roleplaying-game

Didn't see a kickstarter thread. They had me at "Mars has canals, therefore Mars must have Venice". Last tabletop kickstarter I backed was Blades in the Dark and that turned out real well. I've heard good things about Exalted 3E (relatively, for Exalted), but I know Scion had terrible mechanics--what else has Onyx Path or these specific designers done?

I'm tentatively interested but I'd like to know more about the system. I like Rose Bailey as a designer but if it's significantly lower-crunch than Storyteller System games I'm not sure it'd really be my cup of tea.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Onyx Path also released this which is adorable...

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/204313/Pugmire-Core-Rulebook?term=Pugmire&test_epoch=0

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LogicNinja posted:

The Scion 2E mechanics, Storypath (which are fundamentally also the mechanics for Aeon Trinity 2E) are shaping up to be perhaps one of the better iterations on Storyteller/Storytelling. If you're familiar with the Chronicles of Darkness (new World of Darkness 2E), that's most of what they've been doing lately; pretty good improvements on nWoD1, though still some complaints to be had here and there.

Rose Bailey in particular, the owner/developer of Cavaliers of Mars, is also the lady who was in charge of Requiem 2E, had a hand in the core CoD rules in general, and I think is currently the line developer for the entire Chronicles at this point. She might have also taken over Changeling 2E? She's also got a Patreon where she's released a handful of smaller, focused games. I haven't actually looked at them, but you might drop some money her way for at least a month just to check them out. One of them is PWYW on DTRPG or directly downloadable for free from her Patreon.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm tentatively interested but I'd like to know more about the system. I like Rose Bailey as a designer but if it's significantly lower-crunch than Storyteller System games I'm not sure it'd really be my cup of tea.

The full, edited text is available to backers. I haven't dug into it, but at first blush it looks pretty light. The core mechanic is a multi-die-type system where you add do something for (Honor/Love/Self) with (Cunning/Force/Grace), and then add further bonuses from relevant Occupations and Backgrounds. You build your die pool, then you primarily are looking to take the highest die as the result. I personally don't like multi-die systems, especially ones that use all or most of the whole D&D range, but the basic approach is attractive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah I took a look at the free sample rules and it looks too light for me. Also I kind of dislike systems where attribute damage is a normal part of every combat, it's too easy for it to lead to death spirals.

(It almost put me off Fragged Empires till other stuff won me over, plus there taking attribute damage is at least a failure state and not a cost you pay to use your character's abilities.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://gregstolze.com/2017/09/the-next-iteration-of-reign/

REIGN 2e is going to happen. :toot:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Should I care about REIGN? What does it do well, i.e. as FATE is to making important things about the characters continually relevant to play, and PbtA is to keeping things exciting and driving the story forward, REIGN is to...?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

occamsnailfile posted:

Savage genitalia is the thing most people hear about from Freak Legion but truthfully not that many people ever even read it. I mean, there're the 'WW completionists', and then the smaller slice of the pie chart that is labeled 'people who actually want to play a formor' and the even smaller slice of 'GMs who think their exploding bile demon werewolf game mooks need 'depth'.

So I'm wagering Swedracula makes it a priority reissue.

"Possessed" was released later, and it was mostly the redeemable parts from Freak Legion expanded so that you could play possessed humans by any aspect of the triad (Fomor, Drones, Gorgons, and Kami) with suggestions that basically encouraged you to play it like Wraith, with each player Shadowguiding another player's possessing spirit.

I also really liked the suggestion that an all-Drone game could be each player running a weaver spirit who is trying to manipulate multiple drones.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kurieg posted:

Not really, after the release most of his stuff has just been normal 3.5-era grog poo poo. Like defending natural language, putting the onus on the DM to fix his bad wording, and releasing multiple new wizard suppliments including a divine wizard who gets all the cleric's poo poo 3 levels earlier because they're better at it due to their intellectual nature rather than relying on faith.
No he got a ton of flack for scoffing at GenCon's guest invites despite the fact that one of the most influential people in the industry were invited.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

It's been a long time since i read Freak Legion or played the Hunter console games, but my memory of the Hunter games was that their difficulty scaled such that they were insanely hard, but very fun with more than 1 player, but just kind of grindy and boring with 1. 2-3 people hit them sweet spot.

Also, I remember a trailer for a Werewolf game before they came out, but it never materialized. My memory is pretty light on Freak Legion, aside from it having some skeevy stuff about cancer and lesions in full 90s edgelord fashion. Having friends who had to deal with cancer in their family disabused me of the notion that this was remotely tasteful.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LogicNinja posted:

Should I care about REIGN? What does it do well, i.e. as FATE is to making important things about the characters continually relevant to play, and PbtA is to keeping things exciting and driving the story forward, REIGN is to...?

Being an actually well made and thought out crunchy fantasy game with an interesting setting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And letting you intertwine characters-as-adventurers with characters-as-leaders-in-society, which I think is not done enough.

Definitely wear a helmet, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Let's not forget the single best random character generator in the entire tabletop industry.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LogicNinja posted:

Reign is basically Greg Stolze's foray into making a fantasy RPG. Mechanically it uses the One-Roll Engine that he pioneered for Godlike with some adjustments such as the fact that there are no real superpowers and special dice such as those fixed permanently at 10 and those which you can set to whichever number you like are limited to a single one per pool.

In addition to the ground-level play Reign's other claim to fame is having a mechanical framework for conflicts between larger organizations called Companies. This can be local guilds jockying within a city, various minor nations squabbling for dominance, or the politics and wars between major powers depending on what you and your group decide you want the scale to be set at. Nations, kingdoms, etc. have stats, they have various actions which they can perform to strength their own stats or weaken those of their neighbors, all of which can of course be modified by actions players take on an individual level. This was expanded upon several times in supplements, one of which brought with it a system of advantages/disadvantages for Companies and one of which brought an optional system for playing out mass warfare in a bit more fine-grained detail.

Another interesting mechanical facet of Reign is that it has an extremely robust and well designed random character generation system that ensures that a randomly generated character and a point-built character wind up created on the same number of points. You can effortlessly hybridize the two methods, doing semi-fixed semi-random, rolling randomly then adjusting the results to your taste, adding a splash of random rolls to a mostly point-built character, etc.

Beyond that it's basically big book of Greg Stolze Being Greg Stolze. It alternates between setting chapters and crunch chapters, and the entire book is peppered with sidebars and sometimes entire pages of Stolze explaining his design decisions and elaborating on why he chose to do things the way he did while providing advice for people who'd like to hack the game or create their own setting. The chapter on magic and how to approach the design thereof for an RPG should be required reading for anyone stuck in the mindset of "well it's magic, therefore it has to do everything and it has to do it better." The setting's pretty neat and full of details that make dumb nerds lose their minds like the fact that people with white skin are a minority or the commonly held wisdom that riding astride horses makes men impotent which resulted in a hilariously stupid thread on RPGnet full of people complaining about this "sexist inclusion" to the game.

From a historical perspective, Reign is the game that Stolze used to pioneer the concept of RPG writers employing crowdfunding to self-publish. He used what he called the "ransom model" which was essentially Stolze telling people that he had 10,000 words of supplement in him and he wanted $1,000 through a service called Fundable which was like a proto-Kickstarter. If he got a thousand bucks then the supplement was published and released for free for everybody in perpetuity. If he didn't, well, then clearly interest wasn't there and he'd turn his attention towards other stuff. He successfully crowdfunded something like 11 or 12 supplements this way, which are now compiled into two larger anthologies, all of which are still freely available.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Someone made an online generator for REIGN if you want to try it out, too

http://rpgs.mapache.org/?q=reign/ore-character-generator

The setting of REIGN is also similar to Glorantha in that it's a well-realized world of fictional cultures over a lazy mash-up of current/historical Earth societies.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Heluso and Milonda is also like Glorantha in that it has one or two setting elements that make people go absolutely bug-poo poo crazy. In Glorantha's case it's the ducks. In Reign's case, well:

One of them is "It's a widely spread belief that riding a horse astride causes impotence in men so most cavalry soldiers are women"

The other is "Most humans are dark skinned except for the nomadic wastelands barbarians and the self-important boat-people."

The people that go crazy over this are exactly the sort of people I don't wanna game with, so like, good job making them easy to identify.

• Locked thread