Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They figured out pants for the Wing Diver! :woop:

Is it a thong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

The next edf isn't conning out for pc, is it?

If it is, it will probably be an honest go at a PC port after the fact. 4.1 was their very first PC port as it is, and 4.1 was already a re-release version.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm all for different takes on the timeless concept of killing giant insects with a variety of weapons, but i also remember insect armageddon.

Honestly, I preferred Insect Armageddon more than EDF 4 mainly because it was shorter and more story focused.

The main EDF games are fine for just messing around sandbox-style, but eventually all the missions just blur together after a time.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Vakal posted:

Honestly, I preferred Insect Armageddon more than EDF 4 mainly because it was shorter and more story focused.

The main EDF games are fine for just messing around sandbox-style, but eventually all the missions just blur together after a time.

I didn't know opinions could be this bad

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vakal posted:

I hope the sequel doesn't suffer from crashing halfway during missions like 4.1. Killed interest in such a great game when even simple farming weapon missions crap out.

Potato Salad posted:

The next edf isn't conning out for pc, is it?
They would have to get it to work for the consoles which will hopefully be optimized. Push out useless DLC in the meantime, and then get ported to PC.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 19, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

I didn't know opinions could be this bad

They are both good games. It's just that IA left me wishing that they would have put in more levels and an actual final boss fight, where as in EDF I made it to like mission 50, checked online to see that I was barely half done, and just got burnt out.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There is a final boss, it's the entire sky

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
IA is fine if you want a reasonably fun co-op shooter but it just wasn't the EDF we know and love.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Also the missions in IA were mercilessly long and varied. Normally this wouldn't be too bad, but

1) it's EDF, so your progress is still all or nothing. If you got 37 minutes into a 40 minute mission and wiped, that was it. No credits, no weapons, no nothing.
2) since they were so long, the missions had a wider variety of monsters, which necessarily locked you into a very small weapon selection since you HAD to use jack-of-all-trades equipment.

Basically if they could've done something to address these two points, I would've been a lot more okay with the gameplay itself being subpar compared to the normal EDF insanity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ia's air raider equivalent was hot garbage, there weren't enough enemies at a time, weapons were locked behind class level, with later levels requiring tons of grinding but with no short grinding maps available. then there was the ending. god, that loving ending.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

IA's fencer was superior to the fencer if you have arthritis

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, and i don't think ia had rapiers. i fuckin' love rapiers!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ia's air raider equivalent was hot garbage, there weren't enough enemies at a time, weapons were locked behind class level, with later levels requiring tons of grinding but with no short grinding maps available. then there was the ending. god, that loving ending.

the ending is great if you finish it on inferno though

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

That is a fair and correct point.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
So it looks like Iron Rain might be a new engine? That's what it feels like to me.

5 is maybe still using the same engine as 4.1 while Iron Rain is on a new one? Or maybe I'm off base.

Iron Rain feels really westernized though. I hope this isn't what we're getting instead of 5.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its unreal 4, which old edf is definitely not

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
For the first part of the Iron Rain trailer i thought we were getting EDF XCOM and got unreasonably excited.

Preemtively, I know global defense force tactics exists.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I want to customize my Balaam and have its feet shoot fire. None of this two seconds of ammo that added nothing to the game. Make him a Big O.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 20, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Iron Rain trailer looks really good.
The only QOL feature I need is either automatic resource gain or make the pick up radius HUGE.

The player shouldn't be actively punished for playing a slow class.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

The Iron Rain trailer looks really good.
The only QOL feature I need is either automatic resource gain or make the pick up radius HUGE.

The player shouldn't be actively punished for playing a slow class.

Or just take out weapon and armor drops altogether and come up with a better system.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Increase armor for every insect I kill. Give me a weapon for every ten.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Vakal posted:

Or just take out weapon and armor drops altogether and come up with a better system.

This. But preferably don't do it like IA did, either. Just something that would reduce the time consuming strategy of not killing a last enemy to pick things up, or having whoever is playing the Wing Diver be the cleaning maid for all the dropped loot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd be fine with just providing an option to automatically collect all the boxes at the end of a mission. if people want to do it the old, incredibly annoying way then let them.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Have an auto-gather at the end of the mission but make the ones you pick up yourself give bonus weapons/armour.

Basically I want a reason to pick them up but not a good enough reason to spend 5 minutes personally collecting them at the end while a solitary ant chases me around.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr Phillby posted:

Have an auto-gather at the end of the mission but make the ones you pick up yourself give bonus weapons/armour.

Basically I want a reason to pick them up but not a good enough reason to spend 5 minutes personally collecting them at the end while a solitary ant chases me around.

This is probably the most likely solution.
Not the best but people don't like BIG changes to established franchises.

For every 5 things I love about EDF, there is one that is so bad that I can't explain it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe they should just make the crates be raw materials that everyone earns both by picking it up and doing things that can go into you making or upgrading weapons? No wait, that's going to be stupid if they try that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's the fact you can get duplicates that's the real killer when it comes to the weapons drop system.

I unlocked 99% of the Ranger's weapons legit for example with my PC copy, just needed the tail end of Hardest only and the Inferno Only drops. Then I grabbed cheat engine for the very first time ever and used the (since forgotten/lost with windows crash antics) "Pick how many crates it thinks you picked up" table.

"Okay let's go loving nuts with like, 800 item boxes, in a level I know thanks to this spreadsheet should had a chance to drop new guns.... welp!"

Inferno's drop tables are also hot garbage for item drops compared to playing proper levels on Hard and Hardest. Hard mode you can't see anything lower than like, level 10 ever, Meanwhile Inferno is still dropping Normal mode guns at mission 65 or some poo poo, and hardest also starts out padding the drop tables that hard mode would never even look at.

To highlight this, I'm hardly an expert at this game. But when I was enjoying the mutliplayer diving into random rooms, there were several times where I managed to convinced people struggling with low level inferno to cut that poo poo out dying in Crimson forever only to finally win and get gently caress all, and come with me to hardest mode to murder a bunch of Deroys once and look at that everybody got a bunch of cool guns and vehicles they never had before.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 21, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Golden Darkness x200000000 for the Lysander Z only for the save bug to undo all my effort.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Crabtree posted:

Maybe they should just make the crates be raw materials that everyone earns both by picking it up and doing things that can go into you making or upgrading weapons? No wait, that's going to be stupid if they try that.
That's actually pretty much how it was handled in zangeki no reginleiv. Enemies dropped mana crystals which could be spent on health upgrades or unlocking new weapons from a tree. Of course the best thing about this system is that sometimes you just really had to focus on lopping off Giants' limbs because you needed more of the kind of XP that you can only get by chopping off limbs.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
Seeing as this hasn't been posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJhjTBujM4

Release date of Dec 7 2017 for PS4, doesn't specify region. But seeing as it's an English trailer one would hope we're getting it at the same time.

Maybe PC port for Q1 2018?

Also new Balam.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

5th EDF 5 PV, skip to 3 minutes if you just want to see the Barga.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOxT4ac8AqU

EDF Iron Rain gameplay demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulxzmshbiio

edit: Judging by the trailers and gameplay demo of Iron Rain I think it's based around a customisable exo-suit rather than classes.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 21, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, they seem to be going for something different from mainline edf's "add more bugs until the framerate is single digits" philosophy. i like that the nest was a ruined building, though!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
"add more bugs until the framerate is single digits" is why I love EDF. That EDF5 trailer is too good

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Hoping they take building destruction to Red Faction levels and make it the real Armageddon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Scalding Coffee posted:

Hoping they take building destruction to Red Faction levels and make it the real Armageddon.

Don't even bring this kind of nonsense here. You know they won't and it hurts so bad.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Kotaku put up an article about Iron Rain and it's incredibly unenlightening.

Kotaku posted:

There are still giant bugs, but Iron Rain has a sense of dread that much more palatable than in previous entries which instead revelled in the pure spectacle.

The game still lets players pick their class, and of course, there are still giant bugs. Yet, this plays as a different game from Earth Defense Force V thanks to a new reloading mechanic.

You reload in previous games, but it’s not a gameplay mechanic. This time, on the right of the sight reticle, there is a meter that keeps track of how many bullets are in your weapon’s chamber. After you fire them all, it goes to red, and you have to wait a few seconds for it to reload.

Traditionally in Earth Defense Force games, you are running-and-gunning the entire time. Throughout the maps there are crates with ammo and armour to restock. In Iron Rain, however, you have a limited number of shots for your primary and secondary weapon. You must be more careful with your firepower, changing how you approach the insect onslaught.

Since you can fire your weapon while it’s reloading, it becomes necessary to get away from the giant bugs, who seem more intent than ever on finding you and killing you. They are the most relentless bugs in any EDF game to date, willing to climb up and over buildings to hunt your rear end down.
I'm not sure what they're talking about here, either Iron Rain has limited ammo and the writer is bad at conveying that or Iron Rain's reloading is exactly like in 4.1 but they forgot how 4.1 actually worked?

At this point I'm still not sure what Iron Rain is, what differentiates it from regular EDF other than the different developer or why it's being shown off now with EDF5 right around the corner. Im always happy to see more EDF games, but this is just so weird I want to know more!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Five looks like a combination of a wacky future that accidentally lucked out in making really stupid 50 foot giant crane robot that blows for real construction, but is great for killing aliens; and possibly a more on the fly "realistic EDF" that was appropriated for war on the last minute? LIke, I've starting to see the new wing diver outfits and I'm liking how it looks more actual militarish and not straight out of 1980s anime as far as the straps around the shirt. Fencer's more blocky design is the only thing I have problems with. I'm going to miss the sleekness from 4-4.1 :(

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Iron rain is looking like the Starship Troopers game that everyone wanted in the early 2000's but never got.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 22, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Kotaku is garbage, so you get garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Scalding Coffee posted:

Kotaku is garbage, so you get garbage.
True dat. Frustrating when there are so few english language news sources on EDF though.