Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, there's no way that Snoke is anything other than a new character.

Though I guess they could go the Darth Krayt route and make him an Old Republic Jedi who got twisted by [whatever]. Even if they do though, I'd still be surprised if he was a named character from any of the previous material, EU or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
"Outside the known galaxy is an unexplored infinity, Palpatine explained, one closed off by a labyrinth of solar storms, rogue magnetospheres, black holes, gravity wells, and things far stranger. Any who tried to conquer that maze did not survive. The ships were obliterated, or returned to the galaxy devoid of travelers.

Communications from those explorers were incomprehensible, either shot through with such static as to make the content useless, or filled with enough inane babble to serve as a perfectly clear sign that the explorer had gone utterly mad out there in isolation."

"The Emperor was convinced that something waited for him out there — some origin of the Force, some dark presence formed of malevolent substance. He said he could feel the waves of it radiating out now that the way was clear. The Emperor called it a signal — conveniently one that only he could hear. Even his greatest enforcer, Vader, seemed oblivious to it, and Vader also claimed mastery over the dark Force, did he not? Rax believed Palpatine had gone mad."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I might not have been the biggest fan of Wendig's prose, but I did think that was a pretty effective bit of writing. Star Wars needs to be weirder, and horror playing on the vastness and strangeness of space always gets me.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lake Jucas posted:

Snoke is probably a new character, but if he isn't new he's definitely not Plagueis. If anything, he'd be The Son from the Clone Wars' Mortis Arc.

How pissed are people going to be if it's revealed he's a failed Palpatine clone?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Dark side via Event Horizon is something I can dig.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

How pissed are people going to be if it's revealed he's a failed Palpatine clone?

It would not surprise me in the least if they pulled that. It worked for Dark Empire, but then again I enjoyed Dark Empire.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Dark side via Event Horizon is something I can dig.

Luke Skywalker: But with the blast shield down, I can't even see! How am I supposed to fight?
Ben Kenobi: Where we're going, we don't need eyes.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Canemacar posted:

Luke Skywalker: But with the blast shield down, I can't even see! How am I supposed to fight?
Ben Kenobi: Where we're going, we don't need eyes.

:golfclap:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Red posted:

don't be silly, then he'd be named sheeev

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cptn_dr posted:

I might not have been the biggest fan of Wendig's prose, but I did think that was a pretty effective bit of writing. Star Wars needs to be weirder, and horror playing on the vastness and strangeness of space always gets me.

agreed.

Milky Moor posted:

"Outside the known galaxy is an unexplored infinity, Palpatine explained, one closed off by a labyrinth of solar storms, rogue magnetospheres, black holes, gravity wells, and things far stranger. Any who tried to conquer that maze did not survive. The ships were obliterated, or returned to the galaxy devoid of travelers.

Communications from those explorers were incomprehensible, either shot through with such static as to make the content useless, or filled with enough inane babble to serve as a perfectly clear sign that the explorer had gone utterly mad out there in isolation."

"The Emperor was convinced that something waited for him out there — some origin of the Force, some dark presence formed of malevolent substance. He said he could feel the waves of it radiating out now that the way was clear. The Emperor called it a signal — conveniently one that only he could hear. Even his greatest enforcer, Vader, seemed oblivious to it, and Vader also claimed mastery over the dark Force, did he not? Rax believed Palpatine had gone mad."

so basicaly its gonna be, the original sith(maybe sith empire) is waiting in the unknown regions/dark space/reapers. sounds ok enough to me.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Snoke is totally Ezra.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was reading about the "Alden Ehrenreich needs acting lessons!" brouhaha around the Han Solo movie and thought it seemed a bit weird for it to happen so late into the production.

They're meant to be about three-quarters done, right? Was he acting badly the whole way through and nobody realised it until now? Or is it more likely (given the conflict between Lucasfilm and the directors which are apparently what prompted them to leave) a case of him acting the way Miller and Lord wanted but not the way Lucasfilm wanted?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe they should have just made a Lando movie since Donald Glover is as good as they are ever going to find.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The acting lessons were probably for Emily Clarke.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was reading about the "Alden Ehrenreich needs acting lessons!" brouhaha around the Han Solo movie and thought it seemed a bit weird for it to happen so late into the production.

They're meant to be about three-quarters done, right? Was he acting badly the whole way through and nobody realised it until now? Or is it more likely (given the conflict between Lucasfilm and the directors which are apparently what prompted them to leave) a case of him acting the way Miller and Lord wanted but not the way Lucasfilm wanted?

Everything I read was that he wasn't acting the way Miller and Lord wanted. Apparently it was a step taken to try to ease tensions between Lord & Miller and Ehrenreich/Kasdan. Scuttlebutt is Lucasfilm tried to do everything they could to make the Lord & Miller situation work and they eventually had to pull the plug on them when it was clear the duo was mismanaging the whole thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that Miller and Lord were going for a sort of Ace Ventura-style thing whereas Kasdan (and Lucasfilm, I imagine) wanted a different tone.

It's fast becoming one of those movies where the story around it is almost more interesting than the movie itself probably will be. :v:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Scuttlebutt was that Ehrenreich wasn't exactly comfortable with the zany acting style, so an acting coach was brought in to try and help him make the Lord and Miller approach work. It didn't really help, which just added to the list of things angering Kasdan and Kennedy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm basically picturing Ehrenreich as literally his character from Hail Caesar right now

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

Scuttlebutt was that Ehrenreich wasn't exactly comfortable with the zany acting style, so an acting coach was brought in to try and help him make the Lord and Miller approach work. It didn't really help, which just added to the list of things angering Kasdan and Kennedy.

I see. So that's what's now given rise to the "EHRENREICH CAN'T ACT AND NEEDS ACTING COACHES!!!" internet narrative?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yes, the first articles which came out about the acting coach were about that very thing. The internet picked up on one aspect of it and ran with it, even though that wasn't exactly the point being made.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

I'm basically picturing Ehrenreich as literally his character from Hail Caesar right now

Would that be a bad thing?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Skoll posted:

Would that be a bad thing?

Not at all

Aren't Michael K Williams and Thandie Newton in that? Those three actors are basically the only reason I wanted to see it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Not at all

Aren't Michael K Williams and Thandie Newton in that? Those three actors are basically the only reason I wanted to see it

Michael K Williams was dropped from the movie after Ron Howard took over. He wasn't available for reshoots so they deleted the scenes he'd already done from the final version.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

rip omar :(

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I've said it before and I'll say it again: There is no way Snoke is a new (as in unconnected to something) character or someone from the EU. He will be like Phasma (new but really a stormtrooper) or Rey (new but really a pre training luke),

I WILL DIE ON THIS drat HILL.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He'll be like Kylo. New but really Jacen Solo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He'll be one of Palpatine's vast army of illegitimate children.

Just you wait; in the climactic fight scene in Episode IX he'll whip off his robe to reveal that he has lightsaber knees.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Snoke is Lobot

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Snoke is Willrow Hood, cept he tripped during the evacuation of Cloud City and hosed up his face.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Skoll posted:

Snoke is Willrow Hood, cept he tripped during the evacuation of Cloud City and hosed up his face.

His ice cream stand was the foundation of the First Order!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish there was some way to objectively measure how often fan theories turn out to be correct without going insane, or having idiots explain that once X comes out they'll be vindicated.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish there was some way to objectively measure how often fan theories turn out to be correct without going insane, or having idiots explain that once X comes out they'll be vindicated.

The last season of Game of Thrones was apparently taken from fanfiction, I've heard from several nerds who swear the books are high art.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

I suspect even if there was there would be only one check in the "was right" box, the time they got a fan to tell them how to end Lost.

504 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 19, 2017

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Was rereading some of the older Brian Daley books and I forgot how much fun they were.

quote:

Chewbacca was in the portion of the spa reserved for its more hirsute clientele. Following the light-strip directory system helpfully placed along the floors, Han found his friend's treatment room. Checking the room's monitoring screen, he saw the Wookiee floating in a zero-gee field, arms and legs splayed. He was near the end of his session; every individual hair had been given a light mutual-repulsion charge to separate it while dirt, particulate matter, and old oils were removed. Now new oils and conditioners were being gently applied. Chewbacca wore a toothy grin, luxuriating in the treatment as he floated like a tremendous stuffed toy, his billowing pelt making him seem twice his normal girth.

Turning from the screen, Han noticed two very appealing young human females who were also waiting. One, a tall blond in an expensive jumpsuit, spoke into the ear of her companion, a shorter girl with ringlets of brown hair. The second girl wore a sportier outfit of shorts and singlet; she eyed Han speculatively. "Are you here to meet Captain Chewbacca, sir?"

Mystified, Han repeated, "Captain ..."

"Chewbacca. We saw him walking across campus and we had to stop him and talk. We're both taking courses in nonhuman ethnology, and we couldn't pass up the chance. We've studied the Wookiee language tapes a little, so we understood a bit. Captain Chewbacca told us his copilot would be coming by to meet him. He invited us to go with you on a groundcoach ride."

Han smiled in spite of himself. "Fine with me. I'm Captain Chewbacca's first mate, Han Solo."

He had just established that the brunette's name was Viurre and her blond girlfriend's Kiili when Chewbacca emerged from the treatment room. The Wookiee, settling his admiral's hat on his head at a rakish angle, wore a beatific grin; his shaggy coat, now glistening and lustrous, floated lightly on stray air currents.

Han sketched a sarcastic salute. "Captain Chewbacca, sir, I've got the whole crew standing by for orders."

The Wookiee wuffed in confusion, then, remembering his assumed role, rumbled a vague reply that none of them understood. The girls promptly forgot Han and closed in on the Wookiee, complimenting him on his appearance. "I believe you ordered a groundcoach, Skipper?" hinted Han.

His partner awooed confirmation, and they all set off. "What have you found to be the essential differences in the life-experience on Wookiee worlds?" Viurre asked Han earnestly.

"The tables are higher off the floor," the pilot replied without expression.

When they arrived at the carport, Han goggled and shouted, "Tell me this is the wrong slip!" Kiili and Viurre "oohed" in delight, while Chewbacca beamed fondly at the vehicle he had selected.

It was over eight meters long, wide and low to the ground. The groundcoach's sides, rear deck, and hood were paneled in dazzling scarlet greel wood that had been lacquered and polished and lacquered over and over until its metallic gleam seemed to go on forever through the fine grain. The coach's trim, bumpers, door hinges, latches, and handles were of silver alloy. It boasted an outlandish crystal hood ornament-frolicking nymphs in a swirl of gauzy, windblown veil-dresses.

The driver's seat was open to the weather, but just behind it and a luggage well was an enclosed passenger cab, also paneled in greel wood, complete with elaborate, hanging road lamps, tasseled bunting, and running boards and handrails on either side for footmen. Astern the cab was another luggage well between a pair of ludicrous meter-high tail fins bejeweled with all manner of signaling and warning lights. From the coach's primary and secondary antenna whips fluttered two pennants, several streamers, and the furry tail of some small, luckless animal.

"Too austere," Han muttered sarcastically, but he couldn't resist popping the coach's hood. A massive, fiendishly complicated engine squatted there. But Chewbacca quickly silenced Han's denunciations and amazed the two girls by throwing open the cover of the midship luggage well. It contained, due to his thoughtful arrangement, a heroic picnic lunch.

"Captain Chewbacca and I have to go track down a pal," he told Kiili and Viurre brusquely. Then to himself he added, I knew this would happen; I never should have told Chewie. So why did I?

Kiili, twirling blond hair around one finger, smiled. "First Mate Solo, what should we talk to the captain about?"

"Anything. He just likes to listen to people talk." Han gunned the engine and expertly pulled the powerful coach out of its parking slip. "Tell him how he's ruining a great afternoon," Han encouraged her, then smiled. "Or sing some off-color ditties, if you know any."

Kiili eyed the contented Wookiee uncertainly. "He likes those?"

Han smiled engagingly. "No. I do."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

I still love that the diehard rumor mongers took the fact that "Luke's severed hand tumbling through space is the opening shot of Episode VII" was not in the film as IRREFUTABLE PROOF that that scene was in the film originally, but because it leaked out, it was removed.

Its absence was confirmation of its existence to them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

I still love that the diehard rumor mongers took the fact that "Luke's severed hand tumbling through space is the opening shot of Episode VII" was not in the film as IRREFUTABLE PROOF that that scene was in the film originally, but because it leaked out, it was removed.

Is Donald loving Rumsfeld a Star Wars fan? That's my new fan theory.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

Really? That's a thing?

The nerds didn't think the hand would fall to Bespin?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

504 posted:

Really? That's a thing?

It was supposed to be his fake hand that got lost sometime after ROTJ.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

It was supposed to be his fake hand that got lost sometime after ROTJ.

nerds are the worst.. Christ I saw Empire at the movies when it was first released and grew up as an absolute fan but I never got this stupid even when I was 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

504 posted:

Really? That's a thing?

That's a good question....for another time.