Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, Villenue consistently impresses me with his films.

he's decided to take on Dune which is crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Excellent.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Villenue's Dune won't be as bugfuck insane as Jodorowsky's would have been, but it'll be a ride. :getin:

Also whatup Blade Runner fan goons.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lobok posted:

I really miss my local video store. So many older movies I'd love to watch but (Canadian) Netflix is woefully limited in that regard. I did try watching it years ago in school but I was so exhausted that night I ended up falling asleep.

Canadian Netflix isn't even worth the money as far as I'm concerned. It's Bargain DVD Bin Online, with cheap Chinese and British films/shows making up most of the content, with a few dashes of older, good movies and a new release people might actually want to watch every once in a while.

I was really angry when I found out that L.A. Confidential was on US Netflix. I think it might be cheaper to buy DVD's off eBay than $10 a month

Anyway, that short was fine, but not breathtaking. I really want to see what Villenue does.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Phi230 posted:

They've been playing hot potato with a Dune reboot for like a decade now. I'll believe it when I see it and I'll start caring about it when they give it back to Jodo :v

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ingmar terdman posted:

They've been playing hot potato with a Dune reboot for like a decade now. I'll believe it when I see it and I'll start caring about it when they give it back to Jodo :v

Who will fill Sting's codpiece?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just finished watching Blade Runner and even though there are 28 years separating them I feel like you could listen to the end credits of that movie back to back with any piece from Tron Legacy and it'd be a seamless transition.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Ersatz posted:

If that were true maybe it's a good thing? I've been worried that Harrison Ford wouldn't be passionate enough about the character to play Deckard again, and would instead just be playing himself ala the recent Star Wars.

Screaming at Ridley Scott involves a level of giving-a-poo poo that I wasn't sure Ford had left in him.

The Force Awakens was Harrison Fords best acting job in the past two decades...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phi230 posted:

So were the rumors that Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford got in screaming matches on set true for this film

if so very worried

It took multiple production disasters to result in Blade Runner being one of the best movies ever made, so maybe they're just trying to make lighting strike twice.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mr President posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that performance is all that great and not just riding the massive wave of nostalgia that came with VII.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Who will fill Sting's codpiece?

come on, ed sheeran, you can do it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just wanted to say, this thread title makes me giggle every time every time I see it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Just wanted to say, this thread title makes me giggle every time every time I see it.

It reminds me of that scene in Blazing Saddles when Bart is riding into town except this time it's "skinjob", since we all know what the person who'd use that word would call black people back then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that performance is all that great and not just riding the massive wave of nostalgia that came with VII.

To me it was more just Harrison Ford not giving a gently caress. I'm more optimistic than most about his performance in Blade Runner because all he's required to do is not give a gently caress.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Young Freud posted:

It reminds me of that scene in Blazing Saddles when Bart is riding into town except this time it's "skinjob", since we all know what the person who'd use that word would call black people back then.

RICK DECKARD'S A BONNGGGG

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Harrison Ford was awesome in VII and will be good in this too. Make the same tragic mistakes I did of watching Ender's Game or Cowboys and Aliens if you want to see Harrison Ford not giving a gently caress instead of playing a character that doesn't give a gently caress.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It is really hard not to love Dave Bautista. Apparently he cried when he learned he'd been chosen to play Drax, and then immediately signed up for a bunch of acting classes because he didn't want to disappoint people.

It was his kids. He didn't want to disappoint his kids. :unsmith:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

thanks mang

e:

Mordiceius posted:

It was his kids. He didn't want to disappoint his kids. :unsmith:

Skinjobs Wu-Tang do it for the children

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ersatz posted:

I've been worried that Harrison Ford wouldn't be passionate enough about the character to play Deckard again, and would instead just be playing himself ala the recent Star Wars.

lol Harrison Ford nailed it in TFA. You could literally tell he was having fun and putting in the effort. Dunno what you're smoking.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

BarronsArtGallery posted:

lol Harrison Ford nailed it in TFA. You could literally tell he was having fun and putting in the effort. Dunno what you're smoking.
Yep - I could tell that Harrison Ford was having fun, which is a problem when I'm supposed to be watching Han Solo go through some harrowing poo poo.

I mean, I like Harrison Ford a lot, but I'm a bit worried that he's turned into one of those actors who only "acts" through variations of his own personality.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Han Solo being a piece of poo poo, but a piece of poo poo who rises to the occasion because he loves the adoration that comes with heroism is OT as gently caress. Remember it's not until after he's captured and tortured by Vader (and then rescued) that he's all in and in those few years between ESB to Jedi is when he goes from piece of poo poo to gently caress yeah I'm a general and I'm taking this party to the loving moon of Endor. Then as we learn from TFA the minute there wasn't a glaringly black and white obvious big bad he went back to being a piece of poo poo. Ford was completely on point with how he played it in TFA. Of course the character's having fun, he's important again and basically has a fan club in Finn and Rey. And it's not like Ford was looking at the camera and winking during his brief scenes with Leia and Kylo Ren or anything.

TFA is uninteresting in some ways but I felt like keeping his character consistent was one of the best things in the movie. It would have been easy to make him like the EU version of the character where he's a great gallant wonderful teddy bear who just happened to fall on hard times once ever in his dealings with Jabba the Hutt, but they didn't and that's cool. I also liked how during his conversation with cast of The Raid on his freighter, it made me realized that, of course Jabba wants Han dead/out of action, because no one thinks he ACTUALLY had to dump his cargo to not get boarded, he just sold the poo poo to someone else and his cred was dead in that part of the galaxy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How do I get my hands on this Blade Runner themed whiskey/scotch?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

How do I get my hands on this Blade Runner themed whiskey/scotch?
Thanks for alerting me to this - looks like it's going to be a special edition of Johnnie Walker Black Label. Unless you're in a major city, your best bet would probably be a site like whiskeyexchange.com or masterofmalt.com.

For folks who aren't into whiskey: Black Label is a decent but (relatively) affordable blended scotch, with a smoky flavor.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I want to get this but god drat that's like triple the price of a bottle of Johnnie Walker and like, I mean like, I live in a major city but I can already get awesome alcohol in cool bottles because of that.

Edit: LMAO speaking of dropping some $$$ on Blade Runner drinking stuff -

https://www.firebox.com/Blade-Runner-Whiskey-Glasses/p4346?aff=512

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I want to get this but god drat that's like triple the price of a bottle of Johnnie Walker and like, I mean like, I live in a major city but I can already get awesome alcohol in cool bottles because of that.

Edit: LMAO speaking of dropping some $$$ on Blade Runner drinking stuff -

https://www.firebox.com/Blade-Runner-Whiskey-Glasses/p4346?aff=512
OK - that's tempting, but the price is obscene. Like, $140.00 for two tumblers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I noticed them listed for $90 on a different site but that's still, like, :laffo: When I first saw the price I thought they were the actual props or something.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kobbjpdUg

Nothing spoilery, but the most surprising thing is that Ford and Scott apparently no longer disagree about Deckard being a replicant?! :monocle:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm pretty sure I've seen those glasses for like $20 on prop maker forums.

Ersatz posted:

Thanks for alerting me to this - looks like it's going to be a special edition of Johnnie Walker Black Label. Unless you're in a major city, your best bet would probably be a site like whiskeyexchange.com or masterofmalt.com.

But what if I do live in a major city? I can't seem to find any information on how these are going to be distributed. Are they just going to be randomly on shelves and I just, like, call every fancy liquor store?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

But what if I do live in a major city? I can't seem to find any information on how these are going to be distributed. Are they just going to be randomly on shelves and I just, like, call every fancy liquor store?
In that case, it probably does make sense to call any of the liquor stores around you that carry limited scotch releases. Most don't. But in DC for example, there are a couple of stores with owners who pride themselves on their selection, and who work with distributors to ensure that they'll get a few bottles of the special stuff whenever they're released.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The clips makes me wonder if my early prediction was right that Deckard's connection to the plot is that he was in some way an early version of whatever Jared Leto is now creating.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a fanatic of the original, I've seen nothing so far that would make me loose too much faith. The 2.5h+ runtime is a tall order for today's audience, but if it's handled correctly then more to love, right?

Personally I suspect dune style gholas to be the twist, but I'm on board with whatever this team wants to give me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr President posted:

so his best since, like... Air Force One? not a really tall order.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Last Crusade was the beginning of the end. You can see him slipping in places, like in the banter with Elsa in Venice. Fugitive he's good in, but it establishes the template he's still using today. I don't consider him bad in Air Force One, but he's certainly not good.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
in Airforce One he's playing President Jack Ryan pretty much

seriously, compare the scene where he threatens the IRA moneyman in the bar with the standoff with Gary Oldman

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Because it wouldn't be a Warner Bros. genre production without an anime tie-in, Shinichiro Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame is making a Blade Runner anime short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsxBzfmwVY

drat, we only have 5 short years to get the mega pyramids up in Los Angeles.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Mantis42 posted:

drat, we only have 5 short years to get the mega pyramids up in Los Angeles.

However we are already living in a dystopian future.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I wish the website for this dumb whiskey said where it was being distributed so I know whether I should care about this or not

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I had not been paying much attention to all the news, even though Blade Runner is one of my all-time favorites.

But I saw the trailer for this twice in the theater recently, and I have no idea if the film is gonna be good or not, but drat Villeneuve and co. have really nailed the look. Just gorgeous.

And I don't know if the score during the trailer was recycled Vangelis but if not it sounded pretty on-point too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

I would like very much if you could possibly dig up where these prop maker forum posts about blade runner style tumblers were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I would like very much if you could possibly dig up where these prop maker forum posts about blade runner style tumblers were

From my understanding, those glasses are made by an Italian maker of crystalware, Arnolfo di Cambio, and the Cibi design predates the film by 9 years. Obviously, BR nerds have kept those tumblers alive in their catalog for decades now, but they probably would still be making them even if there wasn't a movie that featured them.

The only replica I've seen is a 3D printable version on Shapeways for $75 per tumbler made of white plastic, $220! if made from transparent acrylic. You're just better off buying the Cibi tumblers from a retailer.

BTW, I said that those tumblers are a design called Cibi, well, they offer a whole set of them for your bar.

From left to right: highball glass, double tumbler, tumbler, and vodka/shot glass. They offer them in version from $150-$200 a pair of glasses.

• Locked thread