Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I have a real urge to watch John from Cincinnati. Has anyone seen it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

Curious which one of the nominees or shows you think were better? I didn't think any of the nominees were better, but I haven't watched BCS yet. We know that shows like The Leftovers and Halt & Catch Fire are not going to get a nod (which is sad). I can't think of anything that stands out enough for me to agree with you.

I think Patriot was overall a better show than Handmaid's Tale, but it's a real apples and oranges situation.

Escobarbarian posted:

For some reason I have a real urge to watch John from Cincinnati. Has anyone seen it?

I've seen it, and it's fantastic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is a lie, it was dreadful.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Sorry, I shouldn't write posts half-asleep in bed, there was another sentence I meant to add to follow up on that.

The Orville's got a ways to go, character wise, but then again we're only two episodes in. There's some... decent enough drama involving a rookie officer in last week's episode, but nothing that hasn't been done before. There's potential for improvement, though I don't think we're gonna see any great dramatic turns out of MacFarlane or Grimes. The not-Vulcan, not-Klingon and Cassidy Yates characters are pretty compelling, though.

I will also say that The Orville does seem to have a lot more heart to it than any of MacFarlane's other shows. Which I guess isn't saying much. No one is a lovely to each other for the sake of comedy (even the interactions between MacFarlane and his ex wife are... mostly pleasant, considering).

Honestly, just give the first two episodes a try. They're pretty different, and by the end of the second you'll have decided if it's for you or not.

Yeah I mean at this point, the show has at least 2 characters I like a lot, and we haven't really had much time to get to know the rest as well. It's no coincidence that currently my favorite character is the one who just got a whole episode focused on her. So we'll see, it definitely does need to do some work fleshing them out but I'm willing to give them time to do that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

I think Patriot was overall a better show than Handmaid's Tale, but it's a real apples and oranges situation.

I've seen it, and it's fantastic

Not seen Patriot, but I do have Amazon Prime. I will give it a spin now starting tonight (I need a new binge watch).

JFC can be frustrating by time you get done with it. Still many of the episodes are great, and a shame they didn't do a season 2. I can also see why someone would hate it.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 19, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
These responses have me very excited so far

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Escobarbarian posted:

I live in Cincinnati, just follow my posting

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Honestly, just give the first two episodes a try. They're pretty different, and by the end of the second you'll have decided if it's for you or not.

Alright, will report back

e:

Escobarbarian posted:

saw it, then the episodes ran out in HBO in demand or something and never bothered to catch up.

it was pretty alright, but hard to get invested knowing it ended early and the series plot never got its feet off the ground

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

it was pretty alright, but hard to get invested knowing it ended early and the series plot never got its feet off the ground

I see what you did there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like JfC after the first episode. Great set of characters and a killer cast, and I love the weird ethereal poo poo (it's why I wanted to watch it in the first place). Although I have heard the final episodes are sorta uninteresting.

Speaking of weird poo poo, is Carnivale good? Has it aged well, and does it only getting 2 out of 6 planned seasons matter so much?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first season is way too slow and while things pick up in the second season it definitely comes across as too little too late.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I really like JfC after the first episode. Great set of characters and a killer cast, and I love the weird ethereal poo poo (it's why I wanted to watch it in the first place). Although I have heard the final episodes are sorta uninteresting.

Speaking of weird poo poo, is Carnivale good? Has it aged well, and does it only getting 2 out of 6 planned seasons matter so much?

I loved what I watched of Carnivale, but never watched the last season due to knowing it was cut short.

There might be a theme there.

X-O posted:

I see what you did there.

:fingerguns at you:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Handmaid's Tale was good but had some major flaws, and Westworld was also good but had some major flaws. They're pretty different and I honestly couldn't say whether one was better than the other or whether one's flaws were worse than the other's.

Big Little Lies, however, was an amazing show with zero flaws, and deserved every award it won and also all the ones it didn't win.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I watched Carnivale as it originally aired. Season 1's pacing was too slow, and season 2 was almost too fast in comparison. I would imagine binge watching the show instead of week to week that pacing issues of season 1 might not be as noticeable.

That said I loved Carnivale, and was greatly disappointed that the story wasn't ever finished. Also the miner episode in season 1 was one of the most horrifying episodes of television I ever watched.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shageletic posted:

I loved what I watched of Carnivale, but never watched the last season due to knowing it was cut short.

There might be a theme there.

:fingerguns at you:

You really should watch the last season. It closes up most of the current storylines since Season 1/2 were essentially supposed to be the first arc of the series, and Knaupf actually later clarified on the future storylines that the finale would bring up as well as the direction of the series in general. It ends on a pretty drat satisfying note.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

nate fisher posted:

I watched Carnivale as it originally aired. Season 1's pacing was too slow, and season 2 was almost too fast in comparison. I would imagine binge watching the show instead of week to week that pacing issues of season 1 might not be as noticeable.

That said I loved Carnivale, and was greatly disappointed that the story wasn't ever finished. Also the miner episode in season 1 was one of the most horrifying episodes of television I ever watched.

That last shot of her in the window, before the miner's ghost pulls her back, and Samson's reaction :shudder:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

And the only episode of Black-ish I watched in the last 2 years was essentially a half hour commercial for Disney World, so the fact it was even nominated is hilarious.

I don't watch it either, but have you considered that maybe... other episodes are not a Disney World commercial?

It's a prime time show on ABC, those have had at least one episode-length Disney World commercial since the early 90's TGIF heyday.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Better Call Saul is all the intensity and finesse in direction from Breaking Bad only it's applied to extremely complex character relationships and legal drama instead of crazy drug dealer power fantasies, which is why it's so effective. There was one episode in particular this last season, probably the best of the whole series, that was almost entirely in a court room and it was loving amazing.

"Drug dealer power fantasies" lol do you people even listen to yourselves before searing up these hot takes.

Snak posted:

Also, I got run out of the trek thread because I'm too critical of trek

The hell you did, we criticize this poo poo all the time. You got "ran out" because you acted like you were on a whole other level than the rest of us and then got pathetically defensive when you were rightly called out for being a condescending dick. You can come back anytime you're ready to be just a slob like one of us.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I specifically left because a several people claimed that I didn't actually like trek, and that there was no reason for me to discuss it if I was only going to be negative. That's what happened. I never said I was above anyone. I got tired of people saying I didn't like trek.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

I specifically left because a several people claimed that I didn't actually like trek, and that there was no reason for me to discuss it if I was only going to be negative. That's what happened. I never said I was above anyone. I got tired of people saying I didn't like trek.

Didn't you go on a drunken rant one night about how the Borg turned Picard into a eunuch?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes, but wasn't being condescending to anyone. And I had a source for that. :colbert:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok I watched the first episode of Patriot tonight. I went in completely blind (there wasn’t a trailer), and told my wife it was about a Russian detective (sorry got it confused with another show). Well as soon we got to him playing a folk song in Amsterdam I knew the show was for us. It is now our new binge.

Also is the actual Russian detective show any good?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Ok I watched the first episode of Patriot tonight. I went in completely blind (there wasn’t a trailer), and told my wife it was about a Russian detective (sorry got it confused with another show). Well as soon we got to him playing a folk song in Amsterdam I knew the show was for us. It is now our new binge.

Yes, Comrad Detective is also amazing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

nate fisher posted:

If you mean Comrade Detective, yes, it is amazing. The short "interview" bits are not great, and then ending is a bit of a tonal shift, but it is fantastic overall.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The line between drama and comedy continues to be challenged. It's hard to see why Atlanta or Masters or None aren't considered drama. How would you even compare either to something like Brooklyn Nine-Nine? Just totally different shows in every respect.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I'm getting around to watching Riverdale because of all the gushing over it when it was airing, and... is there a point where it "gets good" or is it just not for me if I'm not into it from the jump? I'm 6 episodes in now and I kinda hate every character, it's like everyone is an rear end in a top hat with a humongous chip on their shoulder, driven by some compulsion to be complete petty bitches to one another.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Atlanta is totally a comedy.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

So I'm getting around to watching Riverdale because of all the gushing over it when it was airing, and... is there a point where it "gets good" or is it just not for me if I'm not into it from the jump? I'm 6 episodes in now and I kinda hate every character, it's like everyone is an rear end in a top hat with a humongous chip on their shoulder, driven by some compulsion to be complete petty bitches to one another.

You get that after six episodes? Bail, it's not your speed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Riverdale is most certainly not for everyone, but for me it's just the right kind of campy and dumb.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Riverdale is most certainly not for everyone, but for me it's just the right kind of campy and dumb.

yeah, I like that it pretty much goes all in. There's never a dull moment. I also like that it's not afraid to point out when the characters are dumb and selfish. It would be really easy for the show to pretend like "Archie did nothing wrong", when instead it constantly calls him out for being selfish, spineless, and naive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Riverdale was my kind of jam. I totally got a kick out of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

raditts posted:

I don't watch it either, but have you considered that maybe... other episodes are not a Disney World commercial?

It's a prime time show on ABC, those have had at least one episode-length Disney World commercial since the early 90's TGIF heyday.

I’ve seen other episodes and they were nothing special.

And I don’t really care if bullshit episode length adverts are a staple of how ABC does business, don’t reward it with award nominations like there aren’t at least a dozen or two shows more deserving than it.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Not everybody. There are still actors saying how terrible it was that he was there. Ron Perlman, Jason Isaacs and Brett Gelman all had some harsh words about him being there.

Ron and Jason remain awesome. Dunno who Brett is but props to him too.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

The line between drama and comedy continues to be challenged. It's hard to see why Atlanta or Masters or None aren't considered drama. How would you even compare either to something like Brooklyn Nine-Nine? Just totally different shows in every respect.

I almost think it's turned into 30min shows = comedy, 60min = Drama. Shameless is the only thing that I can think of that bucks this.

I agree with you though, "funny dramatic shows" should not be comedies, they are drama. See also: Girls, Insecure, Louie, or even more so Better Things. I really enjoy Better Things but think I might have chuckled 3 times in the entire first season.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Escobarbarian posted:

Yes and no. Concept is pretty convoluted (like dynastic family tree convoluted) but comes over piecemeal and it suffers from being incredibly slow and adds incredibly unsubtle from mid S1 onwards. Characters become really one dimensional over time which was a real shame when it started out so morally grey. As it's meant to look cheap and lovely and dirt poor it should hold up well in that respect. I agree, Babylon is a bitch of an episode raised up by a fantastic guest actor

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this means that The Orville will compete as a drama...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

tessiebee posted:

Ron and Jason remain awesome. Dunno who Brett is but props to him too.

Brett Gelman is the weird bearded guy from Eagleheart and several Adult Swim specials. (He actually cut ties with AS after they greenlit that show made by neo-Nazis.)

Chris Evans was also pissed off because of course Captain America would be pissed off.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If you want to know what Brett Gelman's brand of comedy is all about just youtube "iBrain".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

The pilot episode is enough to gauge whether you're into that show or not. If you're that far in and not digging it it's definitely not your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Danger 5 props are up for auction: https://www.ebay.com/usr/danger5official

The real Sensible Chuckle can be yours for only... $2049 and rising!

• Locked thread