Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

b/c of this thread i was trying to think of where i actually do see advertising

-on tv during live sporting events
-maybe if you count things like signs by the highway for restaurants and gas thats off the exit?

i mean no one reads print magazines or watches live tv or reads the newspaper or goes to retail stores or listens to the radio anymore and my state doesnt allow highway billboards so all the places i used to see ads are just gone

-going to the grocery store
-seeing other people's clothing/possessions
-looking at the products you own in your own home

people who say they "don't see ads" or "advertising doesn't work on them" are just generally oblivious, not some sort of willpower overlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jokes on you I don't go outside

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

Americans are really not good at understanding how to haggle

saw a guy at a Best Buy trying to get a ‘good guy discount’ on a phone like it was PC Richard & Son in the 90’s

pc richard and son will still haggle with you today in tyool 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

fixed pricing for all customers is pretty much an invention of the american advertising industry circa 1920

prior to that it was normal to haggle over any purchase, and for shopkeepers to arbitrarily raise or lower prices depending on how much they liked you

it was invented long ago for various purposes but what led to its omnipresence was big box stores

when you pay your sales guys $5 and hour and 0.01% commission, they are not going to fight for pennies or work a customer over to get the price up

the only places that still haggle over prices are places that have fat margins and pay salespeople well enough out of the margin to make some haggling worthwhile

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Conventional advertising is decaying. All those fancy campaign creatives and poo poo are gonna get replaced eventually by white kids doing stupid poo poo on social media and getting paid more money than you will ever see to have a given product in shot whilst doing so.

I think it's hilarious how much money companies spend on social media in particular. If you want 'engagement' hire a goddam comedian, not 10 'social media gurus' with <1000 followers between them.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
been going to hotels more frequently and christ i dont think i could ever get cable again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cable tv: pay 10 times the price of netflix for even worse content, but every 3 minutes we will make you watch some smarmy insipid propaganda for a product you never want

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

out of curiosity do advertising execs' spreadsheets take into account the people who become so infuriated by an ad playing dozens of times in the course of an episode of tv, or by the ad's message not agreeing with them, that they come to loathe the company and swear to never patronize them? or do they just reject reality completely

like, i will never purchase a lysol-brand product in my life thanks entirely to my disgust with their television advertising messages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ocrassus posted:

Conventional advertising is decaying. All those fancy campaign creatives and poo poo are gonna get replaced eventually by white kids doing stupid poo poo on social media and getting paid more money than you will ever see to have a given product in shot whilst doing so.

I think it's hilarious how much money companies spend on social media in particular. If you want 'engagement' hire a goddam comedian, not 10 'social media gurus' with <1000 followers between them.

this is already how advertising is. there haven't been creative ads for decades.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

out of curiosity do advertising execs' spreadsheets take into account the people who become so infuriated by an ad playing dozens of times in the course of an episode of tv, or by the ad's message not agreeing with them, that they come to loathe the company and swear to never patronize them? or do they just reject reality completely

like, i will never purchase a lysol-brand product in my life thanks entirely to my disgust with their television advertising messages

they don't care cause you aren't the target market. Toyota is another great example. they have the most bullshit patronizing ads in history but they're for their boomer target audience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

-going to the grocery store
-seeing other people's clothing/possessions
-looking at the products you own in your own home

people who say they "don't see ads" or "advertising doesn't work on them" are just generally oblivious, not some sort of willpower overlords

i thought about the grocery store but there i figure its advertising by necessity like they have to stock the shelves somehow so ofc if they can get paid to front certain brands theyll do so and if they didnt get paid well theyd still be fronting something

the other people thing well im a goon so usually in a given day im seeing like maybe one other persons clothing and possessions and they live in my house so idk that really counts because theyre also my possessions

i mean yeah youre right branding and signaling is embedded everywhere but i think thats kind of distinct from capital-a advertising maybe idk i could be wrong

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is my local news internet page

only 3% since install because another addon gets everything else

one weirde trick advertisers hate

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 20, 2017

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

435,014 DEAD ADS

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

i thought about the grocery store but there i figure its advertising by necessity like they have to stock the shelves somehow so ofc if they can get paid to front certain brands theyll do so and if they didnt get paid well theyd still be fronting something

the other people thing well im a goon so usually in a given day im seeing like maybe one other persons clothing and possessions and they live in my house so idk that really counts because theyre also my possessions

i mean yeah youre right branding and signaling is embedded everywhere but i think thats kind of distinct from capital-a advertising maybe idk i could be wrong

you're very wrong

advertising is everywhere unless you literally never leave your home and make everything you own from scratch

brands are passive advertising, and even then you still see ads but they may not be liminal to you but that doesn't mean you don't see them and they don't have an effect on you

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

435,014 DEAD ADS

WEBKIT IS A gently caress
BLOCK THEM ALL

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

you're very wrong

advertising is everywhere unless you literally never leave your home and make everything you own from scratch

brands are passive advertising, and even then you still see ads but they may not be liminal to you but that doesn't mean you don't see them and they don't have an effect on you

i didnt say they didnt have an effect on me i said i dont see them who cares if theyre effective? i just dont want to be bothered idc if im influenced

so i guess i was wrong in that i committed the sin of replying to stymie and paid the price

oh btw liminal means the opposite of what you think it does the definition is

quote:

The noun limen refers to the point at which a physiological or psychological effect begins to be produced, and liminal is the adjective used to describe things associated with that point, or threshold, as it is also called.

and therefore your statement "they may not be liminal to you but that doesn't mean you don't see them and they don't have an effect on you" is nonsense in that liminal literally means to have an effect :)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh sweet thanks for the dictionary definition of a word i didn't know we were in d&d

the point is you're seeing them and they're influencing you whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not

if you don't want to see them, then i suggest you buy some land in the middle of nowhere and start watching some primitive technology youtubes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

never look at the brand, always look at the price

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i only look at brands, because i trust and love brands

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the lysol cleaning wipe things own big time for cleaning the stove. hth op. ps Owned ad-avoiding scum

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i posted a thousand bucks worth of ads today for my show which i think is good. i hope ppl buy tix theyll like the show its cool

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

LastInLine posted:

and therefore your statement "they may not be liminal to you but that doesn't mean you don't see them and they don't have an effect on you" is nonsense in that liminal literally means to have an effect :)

ah yes, that's why subliminal means "no effect"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

For anyone curious about marketing and advertising, check out CBC's "Under the influence", a radio show looking at current trends and phenomenons in the biz. Really good, well made & easy to listen to. I've been binge-listening to it the past couple days, liking it so far.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

oh sweet thanks for the dictionary definition of a word i didn't know we were in d&d

we arent but when youre using the language completely incorrectly its unlikely well find any common ground in discussion. your sentence did literally mean the opposite of your intended meaning after all

Stymie posted:

the point is you're seeing them and they're influencing you whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not

if you don't want to see them, then i suggest you buy some land in the middle of nowhere and start watching some primitive technology youtubes

this is true but unfortunately entirely unrelated to my point i fully acknowledge that advertising exists and i am influenced by it

do you believe people hate ads because they dont want to be influenced or because they dont want to be bothered?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CommunistPancake posted:

ah yes, that's why subliminal means "no effect"

i cut that from mirriam-websters explanation but it was literally the next sentence

quote:

Likewise, the closely related word subliminal means "below a threshold"; it can describe something inadequate to produce a sensation or something operating below a threshold of consciousness. Because the sensory threshold is a transitional point where sensations are just beginning to be perceptible, liminal acquired two extended meanings. It can mean "barely perceptible" and is now often used to mean "transitional" or "intermediate," as in "the liminal zone between sleep and wakefulness."

obv. if he had written subliminal that would have been correct

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Ocrassus posted:

lol you are incredibly wrong. with all this politically correct climate, companies care a lot about brand safety . you can't control H4d3z666's tirade against latinos (a growing and important demographic ) and your product sure as hell doesn't wanna be sponsoring him.

influencers are a pain in the rear end to work with and many have non compete clauses so most companies can't work with them.

the way real effective advertising is done is based on a lot of complex data-generated insights from Kantar or Nielsen or something, tied to brand universal truths , killer creative and a correct and effective media campaign and complex roas estimates.

also for those who said they have never seen ads, you have. is just either word of mouth or earned media, and earned is taken into account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*guy who uses google's mobile ad platform claiming he never sees ads*

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

we arent but when youre using the language completely incorrectly its unlikely well find any common ground in discussion. your sentence did literally mean the opposite of your intended meaning after all

this is true but unfortunately entirely unrelated to my point i fully acknowledge that advertising exists and i am influenced by it

do you believe people hate ads because they dont want to be influenced or because they dont want to be bothered?

i believe that thinking and then furthermore stating you don't see ads is incredibly naive and displaying a general obliviousness, as aforementioned

i also think you stated as much because you were trying to display a level of unearned superiority because of your righteous lack of ad-seeing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mulligan posted:

the way real effective advertising is done is based on a lot of complex data-generated insights from Kantar or Nielsen or something*, tied to brand universal truths** , killer creative*** and a correct and effective media campaign† and complex roas estimates††.

* hand-waving and justification using numerology to meet the original assumptions of the client
** horrid, damaging cultural stereotypes that perpetuate the worst aspects of our culture
*** watered down garbo full of cliches, somehow costs more per second than a hollywood movie
† your lady poop yogurt ads end up on brietbart
†† again, numerology, this time to make sure the client doesn't dump you

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Online ad metrics do involve a lot of numbers you can misinterpret but the data you have is way better than offline stuff.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah but the fractional distribution network effect of online ads means that a good portion of your metrics is utterly worthless because the network that bought the extra inventory from somewhere else magically ended up in an indian clickfarm and not in front of suburban american moms age 30-49

it's just referral networks all the way down

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

yeah but the fractional distribution network effect of online ads means that a good portion of your metrics is utterly worthless because the network that bought the extra inventory from somewhere else magically ended up in an indian clickfarm and not in front of suburban american moms age 30-49

it's just referral networks all the way down

there is business in detecting/stifling this as well

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

*opens shoddily made french glass doors, creating a clanging echo throughout the loft* it's true! i work in advertising

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

qirex posted:

* hand-waving and justification using numerology to meet the original assumptions of the client
** horrid, damaging cultural stereotypes that perpetuate the worst aspects of our culture
*** watered down garbo full of cliches, somehow costs more per second than a hollywood movie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also lot of people in here who like to be hosed by ads and cummed in by them

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

i believe that thinking and then furthermore stating you don't see ads is incredibly naive and displaying a general obliviousness, as aforementioned

i also think you stated as much because you were trying to display a level of unearned superiority because of your righteous lack of ad-seeing

ah so youre just wrong gotcha

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

fuuuckkkk kellogs is killing it. this one was focus tested probably by tons of demos and an overall feel good rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Ocrassus posted:

its not dying its just for a certain age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aF2R1OhohI

• Locked thread