Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

No joke I would love to have you guys and any other of the posters here share their knowledge, wisdom, humor. We'll make it work.
:beerpal: "so there we were, next to the window, and"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GAIL posted:

:beerpal: "so there we were, next to the window, and"

"suddenly a baroque procession came around the corner, but then two of the confraternities started beating each other up with their flags and the priests jumped right into the fray!"

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I was in Berlin recently and visited the German Historical Museum there, and they had these two :krad: exhibits:

That's the commander's staff of Cardinal Ascanio Maria Sforza (1455-1505); it doubled as a mace and even had a stiletto hidden in it :black101: Sforza used it when he supported his brother, the duke of Milan, at his attempt to free Milan from French occupation. I don't think that he ever actually bashed any heads in with it, though.

And this is a woodcut print from 1520 that was spread as part of a pamphlet condemning indulgences. The devil sits on a letter of indulgence while grasping a money chest and a bishop's crozier in his hands; in his mouth you can see clergymen sitting around a table, while on his head people are walking into purgatory

genola
Apr 7, 2011
I'm Presbyterian, but I just came back from visiting Roman Catholic mass (Mission Dolores in San Francisco) for the second Sunday in a row today. From a Protestant perspective with regards to using Latin or no, I feel it's still extremely beautiful and reverent, and I love kneeling during the words of institution.

They had a sweet pipe organ too.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

System Metternich posted:

I was in Berlin recently and visited the German Historical Museum there, and they had these two :krad: exhibits:

That's the commander's staff of Cardinal Ascanio Maria Sforza (1455-1505); it doubled as a mace and even had a stiletto hidden in it :black101: Sforza used it when he supported his brother, the duke of Milan, at his attempt to free Milan from French occupation. I don't think that he ever actually bashed any heads in with it, though.

And this is a woodcut print from 1520 that was spread as part of a pamphlet condemning indulgences. The devil sits on a letter of indulgence while grasping a money chest and a bishop's crozier in his hands; in his mouth you can see clergymen sitting around a table, while on his head people are walking into purgatory

Is his foot in a ... a whatever-the-word-is for a bucket of holy water? With an aspergillum stuck in it? And little demons are flying people up to his head so they can walk into the fire? That's pretty awesome, even if I don't agree with the opposition to indulgences :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

Is his foot in a ... a whatever-the-word-is for a bucket of holy water?
aspersorium or situla

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAIL posted:

aspersorium

mods please rename ADTRW to this

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

mods please rename ADTRW to this

no...this thread :greenangel:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

genola posted:

I'm Presbyterian, but I just came back from visiting Roman Catholic mass (Mission Dolores in San Francisco) for the second Sunday in a row today. From a Protestant perspective with regards to using Latin or no, I feel it's still extremely beautiful and reverent, and I love kneeling during the words of institution.

That's how it starts. You'll be crossing the Tiber soon enough.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

genola posted:

I'm Presbyterian,

i'm sorry to hear that

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I've been contemplating the language used at the memorials of Joshua's last mortal meal. To answer you, Josef, I'm inclined to agree that the meaning is more important than the sound. It's about the Word and not the words. Before there was the term 'logos', there was the Logos. Before there was the dao we can talk about, there was just the eternal dao.

Now I can't change how someone else approaches and reacts to the Mass, the memorial of that Last Supper. It's unapologetically and unchangeably a subjective experience. In the story of the original Last Supper, even then not all twelve attendants came or left with uniformed spirits. Beauty, including the beauty of the Mass, is received by each person in grace. No one had to invent the joy of beauty, and no one can really fake a substitute for it, either.

But outside of the weekly, hour-long memorial to Jesus of Nazareth, I spend most of my time in the vernacular world. Here, I do have control over how I will use language. In my actual conversations like this one, It's up to me how to emphasize which things matter and how I will engage with whoever listens and wants to respond. And on the orders I've received from Christ Jesus through the Mass and through the canonical literature, I am to recognize in the other person the same likeness and spirit of God as Jesus proclaimed. My choice of words ought to reflect this intimate, God-made bond. It calls for a new and renewed language each time.

Senju Kannon posted:

hey guys! me and 13 orphans are trying to start a religion podcast where we answer questions about religion from people, as well as from the catholic answers forum (yes this is basically a religion based my brother my brother and me and while i am a little ashamed of this i am not ashamed enough). if any of you were wanting to help us achieve this, can you send us a question at smellsandbellspodcast@gmail.com? it would be very appreciated

Thirteen Orphans posted:

No joke I would love to have you guys and any other of the posters here share their knowledge, wisdom, humor. We'll make it work.

Way cool. I have podcast/radio experience from working at my college radio station. Whatever technical questions you got about editing audio, I'm happy to answer them. Check and compress your volume levels, friends.

My spiritual mentor suggested I read Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, and I wanna be like, "Bro, why couldn't he just make a podcast?"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks to quantum internet dynamics, there probably already exists one podcast about him, one about why he was a jerk, and one about why the people making the latter podcast are stupid jerks :science:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

That's how it starts. You'll be crossing the Tiber soon enough.
Hey.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

genola posted:

Hey welcome to the thread buddy. Mission Dolores is gorgeous, but were you in the old Mission chapel itself, or the monstrosity 1950s basilica next to it?

What do you call it?

Crossing the Bosphorus?

The Fourth Crusade?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wouldn't crossing the bosphorus be becoming Muslim now

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

istanbul is constantinople

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Come on now, let's not confuse The City of the World's Desire with a modern metropolis.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Just call it crossing the Danube

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

istanbul is constantinople

And it's nobody's business but the Turks.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
If you get baptized with the Russians, would it be crossing the Dnieper?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Come on now, let's not confuse The City of the World's Desire with a modern metropolis.
hey MATER VRBIVM is in big letters in the prague hauptbahnhoff, which owns

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Smoking Crow posted:

only until we sell the pope on declaring another crusade

genola
Apr 7, 2011

Worthleast posted:

Hey welcome to the thread buddy. Mission Dolores is gorgeous, but were you in the old Mission chapel itself, or the monstrosity 1950s basilica next to it?

I was in the monstrosity haha. Even so, still better looking than most contemporary churches (especially inside), and especially better looking than what my melted popsicle of a church looks like.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i'm sorry to hear that

Can robots have souls and if so, can they be saved?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

genola posted:

Can robots have souls and if so, can they be saved?

No idea, but if you subscribe to the notion of an age of innocence regarding human children, presumably something similar would apply to robots in terms of mental development and capacity.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Ensoulment!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I actually just had a discussion with a priest on Twitter about that the other day:

e: i have already plugged in my phone please do not tell me to plug in my phone

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 20, 2017

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I love that he bothered to answer it and gave a full answer.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tbf he had been tweeting about sex robots previously, it wasn't completely out of the blue

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I actually just had a discussion with a priest on Twitter about that the other day:

e: i have already plugged in my phone please do not tell me to plug in my phone

link to this in the thread title or in OP please

owns

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/deepcomrade/status/878608646749532160

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Sex with alien robots is not only permissible, it's inevitable. Love conquers all; resistance is futile.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love the reasoning where something you can't reproduce with is an "unworthy vessel" UNTIL they remember that old women and women with hysterectomies exist, whereupon they back out of the place their logic led them to with some thomistic handwaving. They loving fetishize physical reproduction and theology of the body is one of the reasons i left

(the reasoning behind it is backwards, did you know that? the ban on contraception came first because Paul VI couldn't bear the idea of the church looking like it had changed its mind on anything. the theology of the body is a post-hoc rationalization for that ban, projected onto a cosmic scale. which is why Pershing could tell it doesn't make any drat sense.)

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Mark Jordan's Rewritten Theology: Aquinas After His Readers is really good on the ways in which Thomism has become a buzzword for "whatever I imagine Thomas to have said." Thomas is a first-rate thinker who synthesized Catholic doctrine up to that point in fascinating, provocative, and not always workable ways: many professed Thomists engage with a version of him constructed out of excerpts and reconstruct even the Summa itself in the image of that reorganized and sanitized Thomas presented in seminary textbooks.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bel_Canto posted:

Thomas is a first-rate thinker who synthesized Catholic doctrine up to that point in fascinating, provocative, and not always workable ways.

And he recognized it. Aquinas is the great accumulator and synthesizer, but he never intended to be the last word. His Summa even starts by pointing out that it is for beginners, and we are supposed to go from there, not stop there.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My Religion 101 class is going to the cathedral of Copenhagen(the Church of Our Lady in the middle of town) for a field trip, and I have been charged with giving a 1-day presentation on Ase/Vane-tro to my class <3 I would straight up love going to school if I didn't have to take math to be allowed into higher education :qq:

genola
Apr 7, 2011
If robots can be saved, then surely, I, an emotionless Presbyterian, may also have that hope as well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
do robots have original sin

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

do robots have original sin

All software has bugs.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted: