Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Zoran posted:

Baller is stupid.

Baller is pretty stupid. The explosion kill range is really, surprisingly high. I don't know about the costs relative to each other, but comparing it to splashdown, baller seems to be so much more useful. The fact that splash has a rnage indicator and baller doesn't is huge in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know how to escape post patch baller, the range seems ridiculous now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

In Training posted:

I don't know how to escape post patch baller, the range seems ridiculous now.

Be using a dualie and barrel roll. Otherwise, ???

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Baller pretty much has Splashdown range now, which makes it ridiculous. With the HP increase, your only choice is to run when you see one coming at you, and sometimes that's impossible, especially if you get cornered or the entire area isn't covered in your ink. The only way you can stop a Baller now is if the entire team is there to shoot at it.

The Aerospray RG's kit is also really good in Splat Zones. Sure the main gun kind of sucks for fighting, but it has fantastic turf coverage, and Sprinkler can put so much pressure on certain areas and the zone. And as established, the Baller is ridiculous. It's really just a strong support kit in general now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Inkpedia mentions that Baller is part of the Object Shredder effects but it doesn't have a handy chart for damage changes like it does for RM shield and ink armor. I hope whoever does the testing for that stuff compiles that info some day

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

The Inkpedia mentions that Baller is part of the Object Shredder effects but it doesn't have a handy chart for damage changes like it does for RM shield and ink armor. I hope whoever does the testing for that stuff compiles that info some day

I don't have the exact hits to destroy on hand, but the things to keep in mind are that the Baller has 400 HP (300 before 1.3.0, and can get up to 600 max with 57 points of Special Power Up) and Object Shredder is a 10% damage boost. Shooters (not Blasters), Dualies, and Splatlings have their damage reduced by 40% when shooting at the Baller after patch 1.2.0.

To give some perspective on the matter, the Splattershot would've taken 9 hits (8 with Object Shredder) to destroy it before 1.2.0, but now it would take it 20 hits to pull that off. 18 with Object Shredder.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't have the exact hits to destroy on hand, but the things to keep in mind are that the Baller has 400 HP (300 before 1.3.0, and can get up to 600 max with 57 points of Special Power Up) and Object Shredder is a 10% damage boost. Shooters (not Blasters), Dualies, and Splatlings have their damage reduced by 40% when shooting at the Baller after patch 1.2.0.

To give some perspective on the matter, the Splattershot would've taken 9 hits (8 with Object Shredder) to destroy it before 1.2.0, but now it would take it 20 hits to pull that off. 18 with Object Shredder.

Ty. So for tri-slosher that's 7 hits (criminy) and rapid Blaster is 4 direct hits, with Shredder. Neither of those are happening by yourself then. I need to learn to judge that distance better than and just run away

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well I had some time so I updated it anyway https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Object_Shredder#Data Interestingly, since the 1.2/1.3 patch the defensive strength is effectively equivalent to the Rainmaker Shield :staredog: It takes like 1 - 2 shots less across the board to destroy compared to the RM bubble. Thats pretty nuts.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

Well I had some time so I updated it anyway https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Object_Shredder#Data Interestingly, since the 1.2/1.3 patch the defensive strength is effectively equivalent to the Rainmaker Shield :staredog: It takes like 1 - 2 shots less across the board to destroy compared to the RM bubble. Thats pretty nuts.

:catstare: Okay, wow. That is really nuts.

So if you happen to see 2 Ballers coming at you, all you can do is just cry.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lakbay posted:

This post made me feel slightly better after people posting their triple S+ since I've been knocked from S to A in both RM and TC and my w/l ratio has been constantly hovering around 16/34 and I've kinda lost the will to play since I can't break this lose streak

S+ is basically "everyone who sunk 200 hours into Splatoon1" or is just plain good at shooters, So don't feel bad. I never could stay in S+ in S1 because the lag made my little mistakes huge ones vs the japanese.

Some point I need to actually get S+ in rainmaker, assuming I can. It's my weakest mode cause I tend to predict people's movement and that mode is chaos so welp.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

LethalGeek posted:

S+ is basically "everyone who sunk 200 hours into Splatoon1" or is just plain good at shooters, So don't feel bad. I never could stay in S+ in S1 because the lag made my little mistakes huge ones vs the japanese.

Some point I need to actually get S+ in rainmaker, assuming I can. It's my weakest mode cause I tend to predict people's movement and that mode is chaos so welp.

I'm too embarrassed to check but I've already sunk 200+ hours into Splatoon2 so...:negative:

It's more disheartening since this is the second time I've deranked from S to A

I'm that rando/pubbie people in here complain about that brute forced my way up the ranks through poopsocker playtime

It's me, your drooling idiot teammate that compels you to complain itt

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 19, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sometimes you gotta gut out learning a new weapon for different map/mode combos. I finally had to learn to use the splattershot Pro instead of running my rear end into the fray and dying all the time in Splat zones. At S+ ranks it switches from close range to long range as the majority of weapons on the board.

Doesn't hurt to play a little roller/brush or blaster or whatever you don't normally so you can have a better understanding of say how they have to move differently so you can better avoid or get the jump on them. Salmon run does wonders there I can even use the charger some now, not that I would in an actual game cause I'm not a dumbass.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I see a lot of people overstating how easy it can be to hit S+. I think people are just better than they give themselves credit for, but it's definitely not easy to get to S+, or even S rank for a lot of people. It's easier than in Splatoon 1, yes, but that doesn't make it easy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I refuse to believe I'm that good at video games.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The hidden ranks we all have also creates a bias. My games are battle to the death slugfests 90% of the time , someone else at S/S+ might be playing 200 points on that scale below me and have a totally different game.

I joined a friend who had played all of 10 games and holy poo poo even the other higher character level people in turf war for that game were moving in slow motion compared to what I'm used to. I got to run over EVERYONE by doing the most basic poo poo. Even at level 26 some of them were still playing close to the default hidden rank. Saw the same the first Splatfest were it went from me cackling like a madman to going to games where the average splat count was 3.5 for all players cause everyone knew to dodge, run, or give up if they didn't have an immediate advantage.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Rapid Blaster: what bonuses do you typically want with this gun? I can't tell if run speed should be good or not. Is there any point to powering up ink mines?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I use Run Speed, Ink Saver and Ink Resistance, because it's fire pattern makes it really hard to clear ink directly off your feet and escape and it's sub doesn't really have that utility either. I use Ink Saver/Ink Recovery on like everything though bc it feels universally useful and I haven't put much time into chunk grinding.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here are the special usage statistics for that period of time in League in Japan.

1. Baller: 20.4%
2. Splashdown: 17.2%
3. Sting Ray: 17.0%
4. Ink Armor: 12.2%
5. Inkjet: 11.5%
6. Ink Storm: 5.9%
7. Splat Bomb Launcher: 5.8%
8. Suction Bomb Launcher: 4.1%
9. Tenta Missiles: 3.8%
10. Bubble Blower: 1.8%
11. Curling Bomb Launcher: 0.3%

Compared to before patch 1.3.0:

1. Inkjet: 31.1%
2. Ink Armor: 30.3%
3. Sting Ray: 9.3%
4. Splat Bomb Launcher: 6.6%
5. Splashdown: 5.6%
6. Suction Bomb Launcher: 5.3%
7.Tenta Missiles: 3.5%
8. Ink Storm: 3.4%
9. Baller: 3.0%
10. Bubble Blower: 1.4%
11. Curling Bomb Launcher: 0.5%

Also, something to keep in mind is that this is all before the Splatling Deco got released, so only 1 weapon had access to the Bubble Blower.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 19, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is curling bomb launcher that low just because nobody uses Aerospray in league?

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

been using the sloshing machine recently and i really like it i gotta say

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

Is curling bomb launcher that low just because nobody uses Aerospray in league?

Aerospray MG is the only weapon with Curling Bomb Launcher, and yeah, that's not exactly a good kit the MG has. Curling Bomb Launcher can serve some usage in Splat Zones on certain maps, but it doesn't work too well with the Aerospray otherwise.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
DOn't know if it's new news or not, but the Nintendo Treehouse Tumblr put up Tenta Brella info.

Treehouse Tumblr posted:

• Stronger shot power; can splat opponents with just one shot at point-blank range
  • Shield is wider and has more resistance (hello, Tower Control!)
  • Shield launch moves slower, but is wider; effective for moving with teammates or blocking narrow paths
  • Tradeoff of slower firing rate, more ink consumption, and overall heavier behaviors
  • Equipped with the Squid Beakon sub, great for supporting teammate mobility, and the Bubble Blower special, letting you cause some mayhem yourself

Coming with Beakons and the Bubble Blower. I think I'll enjoy this, I always want more things with Beakons to play with.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh my god yes I'm going camping

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh thank god they're giving me an umbrella that can kill people. No more support brella for me

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Really liking how the new brella basically makes you a tank for your team. Will probably be super helpful with a coordinated team

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dr. VooDoo posted:

with a coordinated team

ruhroh!!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Do you think your teammates can shoot through it?

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
The pubs are really bad tonight. I just lost rank again in salmon runnings :(

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Since yesterday ive gotten 5 matches where someone disconnected on us early on. In A and A+ rank. how are these people getting this far if thier internet is this unstable?
im legit considering geting a tenacity headgear with how frequent this is, at least i might be able to do something during the onesided murderfest.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

that people...

...is me!!!!

(curse u optus)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Why are there still people on Profreshional that scatter in all directions during glowfly rounds. Why.
Glowfly rounds suck especially hard today because a scoped charger is even more worthless than a regular charger for them.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I had a glowfly round end with me trying to abuse the pillar to survive and somehow a chum jumped and nailed me

I think they're getting smarter

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

tap my mountain posted:

I had a glowfly round end with me trying to abuse the pillar to survive and somehow a chum jumped and nailed me

God I hope so. I want it to be like I'm playing DARK SOULS and have the Asylum Demon jump up and paste me all over the floor.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

tap my mountain posted:

Chums in Glowfly Rounds (and Smallfry in Griller rounds) will start jumping if you camp too long on a wall.

If it's a large enough wall in the glowfly round you should be able to throw bombs down as still stay on the wall, which can hopefully stop the chums from climbing.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
I guess I luck out big time in Glowfly waves, because as soon as Mr. Grizz says "The Salmonids are..." everyone starts spamming "This way!" while rushing for the egg basket.

tap my mountain posted:

I used to do this all the time without any issues, but I've recently noticed the salmonids will jump up and hit you now if you're climbing a wall. I don't know if it's a glitch where the swarm is causing the Salmonids to pile up on each other like World War Z, or the devs have patched in a new jumping attack to discourage players from hiding in walls. It still seems to work for Grillers, at least, although if you're not careful a slight feather touch will cause the Griller to spam a monstrously loud collision noise.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

pichupal posted:

quote:

Stronger shot power; can splat opponents with just one shot at point-blank range
Coming with Beakons and the Bubble Blower. I think I'll enjoy this, I always want more things with Beakons to play with.
Oh hell yes :getin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Cool, I won't need to ever with the Splat Brella again

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tengames posted:

Since yesterday ive gotten 5 matches where someone disconnected on us early on. In A and A+ rank. how are these people getting this far if thier internet is this unstable?

It's Nintendo's lovely infrastructure. I've never had as many connection issues with anything in my life as I have with this game.

Is there even a reason to have the Splat Brella anymore with this around?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

pichupal posted:

DOn't know if it's new news or not, but the Nintendo Treehouse Tumblr put up Tenta Brella info.

This looks sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

raditts posted:

It's Nintendo's lovely infrastructure. I've never had as many connection issues with anything in my life as I have with this game.

Is there even a reason to have the Splat Brella anymore with this around?

Sounds the Tenta Brella might be flagged as a heavy weapon, which would definitely be a big downside to using it.