Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

no poo poo this happened to me. I killed the dragon by shooting him with a bow while he flew back and forth over this land bridge

Points for doing this at least, I had no idea you could take him out that way. I didn't think he could even be damaged during his bombing runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
All things considered, I've got the Profaned Capital and then Lothric Castle onward and I'm done with main game, been running what is now 30/30 quality, will soon be 40/40. Having access to the larger variety of weapons for various situations has been great. What hasn't been great was Irithyll Prison because gently caress this stealth bullshit. At least this big-rear end Great Machete is letting me two-shot the jailers once I finally get in a position where I can rush one without losing half my health and mysteriously getting grabbed and instakilled from a low poke that comes out almost instantly. But yeah, between Murakumo, Glaive, Follower Javelin, Washing Pole and Great Machete I've had a pretty good array of reasonably strong weapons that have seen me through tough times. I don't get why people denounce Quality builds as useless and bad. That and I couldn't for the life of me imagine a file where you literally never stop two-handing. The option of a shield or torch is just too convenient to pass up.

That being said, at some point I might try another setup at some point after I do my first run, maybe Dex/Pyro or seeing just how busted Anri's Luck Sword is and slapping some Faith on top of it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unknown Quantity posted:

I don't get why people denounce Quality builds as useless and bad.

Because you get the ability to respec fairly early in the game (and can do it infinitely with the exploit) and Quality build often means "pay 10 more stat points for less damage with the same weapons."

I mean I started out the same way because it was cool to be able to just pick up a weapon and use it effectively no matter what it was, but now that I have a better idea how the system works and less need to experiment I usually go pure dexterity.

e: also because Quality was better when I did my first playthrough

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 19, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hey man I said it was so dickish that it's hilarious I didn't say that was a bad thing

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Unknown Quantity posted:

All things considered, I've got the Profaned Capital and then Lothric Castle onward and I'm done with main game, been running what is now 30/30 quality, will soon be 40/40. Having access to the larger variety of weapons for various situations has been great. What hasn't been great was Irithyll Prison because gently caress this stealth bullshit. At least this big-rear end Great Machete is letting me two-shot the jailers once I finally get in a position where I can rush one without losing half my health and mysteriously getting grabbed and instakilled from a low poke that comes out almost instantly. But yeah, between Murakumo, Glaive, Follower Javelin, Washing Pole and Great Machete I've had a pretty good array of reasonably strong weapons that have seen me through tough times. I don't get why people denounce Quality builds as useless and bad. That and I couldn't for the life of me imagine a file where you literally never stop two-handing. The option of a shield or torch is just too convenient to pass up.

That being said, at some point I might try another setup at some point after I do my first run, maybe Dex/Pyro or seeing just how busted Anri's Luck Sword is and slapping some Faith on top of it.

I don't think I've ever heard Quality denounced as bad. People even complain how there's so many weapons for it and used to complain that it was the only viable way to be pure melee, until other physical builds got buffed by their infusions no longer being poo poo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Freaking Crumbum posted:

come at me bro. the levels in dark souls are just battles of attrition to try and wear you down and ensure you're fighting the boss at less than optimal strength.
but the enemies are fun to fight, is the thing with that.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

this becomes immensely obvious if you start purposely playing the game by dashing from bonfire to bonfire and realize that 90% of the frustration with the game disappears.
but dark souls isn't frustrating in the first place.

enemies aren't tough enough once you're familiar with them to make it unreasonable to beat the area boss unless you super gently caress up. unless you are getting slammed by enemies repeatedly(in which case, get good) fighting enemies on your way to the boss isn't going to make the boss fight much harder.
dark souls should have refightable bosses and a boss rush mode but "bosses are the only good part of dark souls" is not really the reason why. you should probably play monster hunter because once you get past the earlygame in that series it's all lengthy boss fights with dark souls adjacent combat

e: jailer brand attack is definitely not instant, those guys don't have any attack that does actual HP damage instead of drain which comes out fast and you can easily never get hit by them if you just swing at them as they approach you. you don't need to stealth around them at all, just hit them and roll away if they get close and start an attack

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
it pretty much depends on what weapons you want to use if quality is better or dex or str builds. id say quality is still better than dex since you get so much more utility over dex doing it. very few weapons are actually good going into 60 dex sadly wheres much more many benefit from quality builds. also quality lets you use big rear end shields to cheese some bosses.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

enemies aren't tough enough once you're familiar with them to make it unreasonable to beat the area boss unless you super gently caress up. unless you are getting slammed by enemies repeatedly(in which case, get good) fighting enemies on your way to the boss isn't going to make the boss fight much harder.
dark souls should have refightable bosses and a boss rush mode but "bosses are the only good part of dark souls" is not really the reason why. you should probably play monster hunter because once you get past the earlygame in that series it's all lengthy boss fights with dark souls adjacent combat

e: jailer brand attack is definitely not instant, those guys don't have any attack that does actual HP damage instead of drain which comes out fast and you can easily never get hit by them if you just swing at them as they approach you. you don't need to stealth around them at all, just hit them and roll away if they get close and start an attack

They've got a bullshit grab attack that's just as bad as all the other souls grabs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not fast. actually just press r1

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Iretep posted:

it pretty much depends on what weapons you want to use if quality is better or dex or str builds. id say quality is still better than dex since you get so much more utility over dex doing it. very few weapons are actually good going into 60 dex sadly wheres much more many benefit from quality builds. also quality lets you use big rear end shields to cheese some bosses.

a "Full Dex" build will be pretty strong anyway, since you're stopping at 40 dex anyway, and will get a bunch of extra levels to spend on fashion, vigor or something like luck to boost your damage further.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

IronicDongz posted:

agree to disagree.

the enemies aren't fun to fight in as much as they're not the real challenge that bars you from completing the level and moving on to the next area. to me, saying the enemies in the souls games are fun to fight is like saying the enemies in any random mega man game are fun to fight - they're not, they're just an arbitrary obstacle that attempts to wear you down before you fight the zone boss.

i'm clearly not as good at video games as you are, but dark souls is frustrating as gently caress until you've got a strong knowledge of how each area is laid out, what enemies can do which things and where they're placed, what moves the boss can use in what sequence and where the boss' weak points are; there's tons of stuff you have to learn while you play the game, but if dying multiple times to arbitrary bullshit simply because you didn't know it existed until it splattered you doesn't frustrate you, then you are a better person than i.

edit: if the regular monsters were supposed to be interesting to fight, they should really have implemented a way for the monsters in a given zone to be randomized every time you refresh the bonfire. not like a rogue-like potentially infinite number of monster arrangements, but maybe 3 or 4 different positions for each monster, so that actually playing the level continues to be an interesting challenge, and not just an exercise in boredom once you hit NG+. demons did that with world tendency which i liked (i know few other people did) and DS2 at least attempted to mix up some encounters on successive NG play throughs. DS3 just having static enemy placement makes everything except for the boss a boring chore after you've done it once.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 20, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Have you considered learning from your prior experiences, and applying them to future areas? Seriously, if you take new areas slowly and carefully, you really shouldn't be dying that often.

E: I'm and angry dude, and there are frustrating areas, but any deaths you take are usually your own fault.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Freaking Crumbum posted:

agree to disagree.

the enemies aren't fun to fight in as much as they're not the real challenge that bars you from completing the level and moving on to the next area. to me, saying the enemies in the souls games are fun to fight is like saying the enemies in any random mega man game are fun to fight - they're not, they're just an arbitrary obstacle that attempts to wear you down before you fight the zone boss.
bwuh

the enemies in megaman games ARE fun to fight. going thru the levels filled with enemies and platform hazards is like

is like at least half the appeal of megaman games period

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Holy loving poo poo I am tired of trying to beat the Abyss watchers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My advice: Get right up in his gob and roll forward. The roll will take you past him without dropping your lockon, which puts you in the perfect position to get a backstab. Chain backstabbing the Abyss Watchers to death feels very good and I highly recommend it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dislike button posted:

As soon as you see the second Watcher get up, back off and wait until the third spawns. The third one will start fighting the other two, sol long as you give them space.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dislike button posted:

if you burn an ember you can summon the londor pale shade right by the last bonfire before abyss watchers and between him and the abyss watchers fighting themselves, he can pretty much solo the fight for you.

also you get a unique gesture if you summon him.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The best I've done playing the last 3 nights is to get the 2nd phase down to around 70% health

CJacobs posted:

My advice: Get right up in his gob and roll forward. The roll will take you past him without dropping your lockon, which puts you in the perfect position to get a backstab. Chain backstabbing the Abyss Watchers to death feels very good and I highly recommend it.

This is basically my go to souls strategy but its not been working great for me so far. The backstab window in DS3 feels very small compared to what it was in Bloodborne at least. I'm using a dark battle axe +4 if that matters.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you burn an ember you can summon the londor pale shade right by the last bonfire before abyss watchers and between him and the abyss watchers fighting themselves, he can pretty much solo the fight for you.

also you get a unique gesture if you summon him.

OK I just did this and beat it first attempt. Thanks!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkQFATD_SPQ

So I was going to type up a really long and angry rant about how badly-designed the crow enemies are and how they fly in the face of literally everything souls is about, and aren't even appropriate for the engine, but then this happened to me. I then went back after getting the bonfire and tried to replicate it with every other crow in that entire town area by backing them against a wall and simply poking them until they did their evasive leap back. In every single instance, they leapt through the wall and through the world. That says a lot more about them than I can ever possibly do here.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Unknown Quantity posted:

So I was going to type up a really long and angry rant about how badly-designed the crow enemies are and how they fly in the face of literally everything souls is about, and aren't even appropriate for the engine, but then this happened to me. I then went back after getting the bonfire and tried to replicate it with every other crow in that entire town area by backing them against a wall and simply poking them until they did their evasive leap back. In every single instance, they leapt through the wall and through the world. That says a lot more about them than I can ever possibly do here.

I originally really liked them, but I agree with you. They're not really good for the combat in souls and are just annoying as hell. I find AoA to be kind of weak because of how much it abuses insanely long combos as a difficulty tool. Also who ever had fun going down the Great Hollow that they felt they needed to do that but with explosive arrow snipers?

Vikings are just a really dumb thing that doesn't feel like it makes sense and is completely out of nowhere for Dark Souls, too. I mean, I understand the lore that the painting is a place for things that have lost their purpose, and the vikings got owned by maybe Midir or some other Abyss Dragon and just kind of wandered into it. But still.

I like the Followers though, the way they fight in a squad with ranged support, mid-range fire-breathers and guys with heavy shields in front, with their sargeants with Sabres is pretty awesome. It really fits that they would go in and murder everything after the Abyss Watchers took care of the big monsters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unknown Quantity posted:

the funny thing here is that you're using a gigantic polearm, which tells me more about why they're likely so frustrating to you and not to me than anything you actually said here

like many, many enemies in the game, they appear to have been designed and playtested on the assumption that you're using a straight sword

Maleh-Vor posted:

I find AoA to be kind of weak because of how much it abuses insanely long combos as a difficulty tool.

See apart from, like, Blackflame Friede I don't see this at all. Ringed City does this constantly (Ringed Knights have a bunch of combos when ignited that I don't think are even possible to fully dodge through unless you simply get out of range of them) but I don't remember any other major instances of this in AoA.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 20, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the funny thing here is that you're using a gigantic polearm, which tells me more about why they're likely so frustrating to you and not to me than anything you actually said here

like many, many enemies in the game, they appear to have been designed and playtested on the assumption that you're using a straight sword
java script:void(0);

See apart from, like, Blackflame Friede I don't see this at all. Ringed City does this constantly (Ringed Knights have a bunch of combos when ignited that I don't think are even possible to fully dodge through unless you simply get out of range of them) but I don't remember any other major instances of this in AoA.

I agree Ringed Knights do this a lot, too. I guess it's really just Blackflame Freide and Crow Knights. Millwood Knights don't really have really long combos. I never found Crow Knights very difficult, but I did get randomly oneshot by one of the claw ones doing their Berserker Barrage.

I found AoA a lot easier, especially the bosses once I switched from a great-weapon to a Millwood Axe, though, then went right back to halberds and great-weapons in TRC.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they're actually much fuckin worse if you're fighting them with a chaos weapon which is fast but weak and has low damage, and does next to no damage through their fire defense which is quite high for some reason

like a chaos thrall axe. they outspeed you, outrange you, you can barely stagger them, and you do like 50 damage a hit or something

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Prior to using the halberd, I was trying the Washing Pole and, later (because they have too much HP when I only have +6 weapons available) the Great Machete. It was capable of stunlocking them, up until they decided to use either their leap attack or the rapier super combo and just completely ignored hitstun altogether, at which point I said "gently caress it, I'm keeping them at arm's length." But this kind of highlights an issue that I had with Bloodborne that I feel is something people just make the worst argument of: "It's okay if they can take you from full to zero in a single combo because you can stunlock them too."

It also doesn't help that Vega over here can just use the Flying Barcelona Attack or Izuna Drop you, bypassing your shield, and even if you have a greatshield with enough stability and the stamina to tank the attacks, you only get one swing back in return at best and you've almost assuredly taken a bleed proc as well. Suddenly with the DLC, anything that isn't a spellcaster oneshotting everything the second it enters range or an extremely mobile stunlocking machine is now at a massive disadvantage, and worse yet, these enemies are fast enough to keep up with you and can leap up to strike you while you move to other areas, so "just run past them" isn't as simple either, especially with the rapier ones who can just throw a spread of knives at you.

All in all, these enemies are absurdly powerful and ludicrously tanky compared to literally everything else in that area, and unlike a Black Knight or Winged Knight, you never really get that feeling of what you did wrong. I know I'm not incredibly optimized, but when I have a greataxe with like 500 AR thanks to its self-buff and I get a riposte off, it's very disheartening for me to see said riposte barely chip off a third of their health. If it was a backstab and the riposte did closer to half, fair point, but the single strongest blow I can deal? gently caress, man.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

wait, you actually use shields for protection and not just for their passive bonuses :confused:

also i'd say it's less "you can stunlock them too" and more "you can dodge roll through all their poo poo and then stab them, and their HP isn't tuned so high that you have to do this more than twice, maybe 3 times if you screw something up"

compared to Ringed City where the every enemy takes like 10-16 hits from a straight sword to kill (probably somewhat less for a big weapon), or turns invulnerable and heals itself if you don't kill it in one combo, or can't be engaged in melee at all, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 20, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the turtle guys don't turn invulnerable, if you hit them a few times(a couple times with a big weapon) you flip them over and they're stuck on their backs unable to do anything and they take huge damage in that state

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

the turtle guys don't turn invulnerable, if you hit them a few times(a couple times with a big weapon) you flip them over and they're stuck on their backs unable to do anything and they take huge damage in that state

holy poo poo this is lifechanging

i mean i already beat both DLC but that'll be good to know next time i get the itch

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Unknown Quantity posted:

Prior to using the halberd, I was trying the Washing Pole and, later (because they have too much HP when I only have +6 weapons available) the Great Machete. It was capable of stunlocking them, up until they decided to use either their leap attack or the rapier super combo and just completely ignored hitstun altogether, at which point I said "gently caress it, I'm keeping them at arm's length." But this kind of highlights an issue that I had with Bloodborne that I feel is something people just make the worst argument of: "It's okay if they can take you from full to zero in a single combo because you can stunlock them too."

It also doesn't help that Vega over here can just use the Flying Barcelona Attack or Izuna Drop you, bypassing your shield, and even if you have a greatshield with enough stability and the stamina to tank the attacks, you only get one swing back in return at best and you've almost assuredly taken a bleed proc as well. Suddenly with the DLC, anything that isn't a spellcaster oneshotting everything the second it enters range or an extremely mobile stunlocking machine is now at a massive disadvantage, and worse yet, these enemies are fast enough to keep up with you and can leap up to strike you while you move to other areas, so "just run past them" isn't as simple either, especially with the rapier ones who can just throw a spread of knives at you.

All in all, these enemies are absurdly powerful and ludicrously tanky compared to literally everything else in that area, and unlike a Black Knight or Winged Knight, you never really get that feeling of what you did wrong. I know I'm not incredibly optimized, but when I have a greataxe with like 500 AR thanks to its self-buff and I get a riposte off, it's very disheartening for me to see said riposte barely chip off a third of their health. If it was a backstab and the riposte did closer to half, fair point, but the single strongest blow I can deal? gently caress, man.

are you playing on a cycle past NG? i found the health scaling of all the DLC monsters to go off the rails even on NG+, not even including cycles beyond that.

also a very important lesson i learned in demons (which has stayed true for the entire dark souls trilogy): find the clever rat ring, take the strongest bow your stats can use, and bring multiple types of damage arrows. pretty much every monster in all four games becomes chump mode if you resort to ranged damage. bring some throwing knives and firebombs too since they stopped penalizing your for inventory item weight after demons. if you can really squeeze it in, even a pyro hand with minimal stat investment and GCFO can take a decent chunk out of most enemies (obviously not the crows, but in general).

like in your scene above, when i was up on the rafters, a combination of poison arrows and lightning pots made short work of those two hoppy fuckers.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

are you playing on a cycle past NG? i found the health scaling of all the DLC monsters to go off the rails even on NG+, not even including cycles beyond that.

like in your scene above, when i was up on the rafters, a combination of poison arrows and lightning pots made short work of those two hoppy fuckers.

I'm still on NG. Also, I was trying to throw javelins and use arrows on them, but the problem is that from the windows they never stayed within range because they were constantly aggro'd and thus constantly underneath me. Once on the rafters, the rapier guy could throw his knives at me and the claw guy could leap up and smack me. I'd actually used up all of my kukris and firebombs on the birds in the town proper because I wanted to get at the crystal lizard, got a lucky break and kicked him off the bridge, then accidentally lost lock and hit the rapier guy so I then had to throw things down at both of them, with my kukri killing the second one. Me chugging an estus at 80% health and dropping down was me giving up and resigning to likely getting obliterated.

And then they both fell through the world. Then I got toxic'd and had to just deal with it. Killing Vilhelm with only two estus to my name, then zero because fuuuuck and then going up to the attic and seeing the bonfire behind a locked door was just the icing on the poo poo cake. At this point I'm just going to grab someone to blast through the remainder of the place, killing and looting everything and hopefully annihilating Friede.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The crow knights really aren't unreasonably hard for endgame enemies. Fighting two at once is big trouble but one at a time isn't that bad. Their combos are easy to circle around and if you smack them in the face hard enough while they're attacking they open up for riposte. They're also Rapport vulnerable. And there's only like five of them in the whole game and you only have to deal with two. I would rather fight a lot of them than Ledo or something.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Unknown Quantity posted:

I'm still on NG. Also, I was trying to throw javelins and use arrows on them, but the problem is that from the windows they never stayed within range because they were constantly aggro'd and thus constantly underneath me. Once on the rafters, the rapier guy could throw his knives at me and the claw guy could leap up and smack me. I'd actually used up all of my kukris and firebombs on the birds in the town proper because I wanted to get at the crystal lizard, got a lucky break and kicked him off the bridge, then accidentally lost lock and hit the rapier guy so I then had to throw things down at both of them, with my kukri killing the second one. Me chugging an estus at 80% health and dropping down was me giving up and resigning to likely getting obliterated.

And then they both fell through the world. Then I got toxic'd and had to just deal with it. Killing Vilhelm with only two estus to my name, then zero because fuuuuck and then going up to the attic and seeing the bonfire behind a locked door was just the icing on the poo poo cake. At this point I'm just going to grab someone to blast through the remainder of the place, killing and looting everything and hopefully annihilating Friede.

fwiw the nice thing about bows is that they're very usable from outside / beyond lock-on range. lock-on with bows is nice because your character can actually shoot at an almost perpendicular angle to the ground if you're locked-on and sufficiently above an enemy, but free-aim mode is really where most of the bow shenanigans become possible. since arrows deal damage (even if a pitiful amount) for a very long range, arrows with status damage like poison are even better, because the poison build-up is a flat amount and not based on the actual damage of the arrows.

for example, in the demon fire lake area of the main game, you can literally stand an inch outside the damage beam of that giant lightning worm and ping him with a bow for like 50 damage an arrow and it'll take almost a whole quiver but you can do it with free-aim and there isn't poo poo he can do to you at all. there's a bunch of encounters across all three games where ranged damage just breaks the AI script and bow free-aim is what makes it possible.

i wouldn't really count the follower javelin in the same category because it's only useful as a lock-on weapon but it has a different throwing arc than the bomb pots and doesn't deal splash damage. the nice thing about the elemental bomb pots is they fly in kind of a parabola and they also have a small splash radius so it makes it easier to actually catch a monster in the blast.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
I'm enjoying The Ringed City way more than AoA so far, just got to the bonfire past the giant dude summoning all the ethereal archers. Loved the Demon Princes boss fight, didn't mind the angels once I found their bodies, plus they don't respawn. Seriously so much better than the painted world bit with all the wolves and milwood knights, that bit is just so god awful.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, going for a STR/FTH build on a new character was a great idea

pretty much everything has melted to Greataxe use, hell, Yhorm went down ridiculously fast with it as the drat thing managed to bonk him for 154 damage if I missed his arms.

the only things left, probably, are to make a true INT build and at last try to beat the game with the Brigand Twindaggers :shepface:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record you can also just kick the turtle guys and they'll flip over every time no matter what.

edit: IMO Dark Souls 3 as a whole is "what if you had to fight Bloodborne-speed enemies as a Dark Souls main character" and the game is very much weaker for it. If enemies moved just a bit slower, reacted just a bit slower, the game would be much better overall.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I wouldn't enjoy doing AoA with a +6 weapon very much.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Maleh-Vor posted:

I wouldn't enjoy doing AoA with a +6 weapon very much.

If I make it all the way to Friede I can get enough chunks to +8 something at least! And if I can survive to second phase I can use the free slab to turn a twinkling weapon to +5. Sadly unless I try to rush my way through and to Oceiros and the peak I can't +5 or even +4 any unique weapons. Still, I'm running Quality, so that means I could bone out and try fighting Friede with either the Black Knight Sword or Black Knight Greatsword!...neither of which sounds like an especially good idea, but it's something!

Also tl;dr I'm doing this early because I wanted access to ringed city for splitleaf greatsword early. It's getting less and less "early" as time goes on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I wouldn't play either of the DLC til the postgame. AoA is ostensibly balanced for level 70 but frankly I think that's bullshit. The enemies have lower HP totals than Ringed City enemies but they still feel like they were designed for people who've already seen everything the base game has to offer, and Friede is hands-down the hardest boss in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
For the crow knights in AOA, Iron Flesh pyromancy makes them pretty easy at least on NG (cast it and mash R1 until they die, maybe drink an estus), and almost every class can use it at base stats. Not the most exciting way to fight them but if you just wanna get thru try it out.