Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know what I really want? A second season of Drifters. That's what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

YA fantasy is popular

One YA fantasy is apparently more popular than the other, though.

Wark Say posted:

Could do with less of that awful humour, though. Especially those interminable gay jokes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Could do with less of that awful humour, though. Especially those interminable gay jokes.
While the Three Walking Gay Stereotypes for characters do bog the show down, the scenes where St. Germaine is portrayed seriously are rad. More Sugita is always appreciated, though the main trio (Yuuichi Nakamura as Toyo, Naoya motherfucking Uchida as Nobunaga and Mitsuki Saiga as Yoichi) are stellar.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Wark Say posted:

well its in production so grats

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Isekai Shokudou finale was pretty great, it's been so nice to spend some time each week with this hungry bunch

Man, I really could go for a bowl of pork soup and a croquette right now

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i guess you could say it's jarring but that just sounds like the author wants to explore their world, which contains more than just cute things

I can post some examples of how jarring it is because some of it reads like a completely different series

Two of these are from the same chapter and none of these are part of some sort of dream sequence, movie or other world.

I'm not saying the series is bad, but I do question some of the author's (and editor's) decisions.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Knorth posted:

Isekai Shokudou finale was pretty great, it's been so nice to spend some time each week with this hungry bunch

Man, I really could go for a bowl of pork soup and a croquette right now

God, this was a nice show to watch after having a long day of work and school. You'd think I could watch more exciting anime that's better animated, but I just love this boring, but warm slice of life story full of DnDs and foods.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xelkelvos posted:

I can post some examples of how jarring it is because some of it reads like a completely different series

Two of these are from the same chapter and none of these are part of some sort of dream sequence, movie or other world.

I'm not saying the series is bad, but I do question some of the author's (and editor's) decisions.

I kind of like that it reads like a microcosm of the real world, not confined to a narrative or mood.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wanted to find that chapter because it still feels like a bad example (the first two pages are in line, the third looks like an end of chapter card) but from skimming it seems like the snakes bring in some serious stuff when they're given focus. admittedly that was like 50/60 chapters in, so i think I'm not going to understand unless i bother to read the whole thing. :shrug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The ANN early review of that Jaden Smith anime is impressively savage - especially since the reviewer was clearly trying to be as charitable as he could.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

So 70/30 odds in favor of it being really good, then?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's Mike Toole, the only good writer there, so no it's probably just bad. but you may derive enjoyment from it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
mike toole is cool, but im still gonna watch it, sorry mike

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Please report back when you're done

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i will do it.

i don't expect it to be good, but i will do my service for this community.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The way New Game just keeps adding a ton of scenes and details to make transitioning between the different scenes depicted in the manga flow way more naturally makes it one of the best adaptations ever. It owns.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The way New Game just keeps adding a ton of scenes and details to make transitioning between the different scenes depicted in the manga flow way more naturally makes it one of the best adaptations ever. It owns.

I've seen a couple people comparing the difference between S1 and 2 to the jump K-On took. I don't know if it's quite THAT good, but it's making a drat solid argument. First show I've watched this year to make me contemplate booting MaiDragon off of my AOTY throne.

...I oughtta look up who directed the adaptation. Might be worth following.

Edit: Yoshiyuki Fujiwara, per wikipedia. They've done some storyboarding and episode directing here and there, but only a few full-time Directing gigs. Hope they get a lot more, I loved their work here.

Edit Again: Oh, and the writer's credited as the screenwriter for The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya, too. Neat.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 19, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

these terrible forums archived my thread, but the second yamato movie has been subbed

way better than the first 2202 one

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Davincie posted:

way better than the first 2202 one

Tell me more about anime from the future.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Does the tan lady smooch the alien lady?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

Tell me more about anime from the future.

Watch Yamato 2199 and then ask again

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXEm5aaWHgI

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I never knew I wanted calm, serious-sounding Mamoru Miyano in my life as much as I do right now. :swoon:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Fastest Finger Farts was a fun sports anime about hyper nerds. It wasn't particularly special but the main girl had a wonderful voice affectation and there was a weird rear end fun villainy character and gosh everyone was such a dork. In a season with zero bike anime, this was acceptable and I would watch more.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

kater posted:

Fastest Finger Farts was a fun sports anime about hyper nerds. It wasn't particularly special but the main girl had a wonderful voice affectation and there was a weird rear end fun villainy character and gosh everyone was such a dork. In a season with zero bike anime, this was acceptable and I would watch more.

I was suprised that 7O3X was not bad! It made me wish there were arcades with quiz games around. It was a serious sports anime but it was still enjoyable.

Also liked the advertisement for an actual quiz bowl. That was a nice touch.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Will I be fooled into trying to watch logh again just because they made everyone incredibly pretty

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

Will I be fooled into trying to watch logh again just because they made everyone incredibly pretty
Yes you will. Husbando central, here we go!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the old series was already pretty boy central, just the pretty boys of the 80s-90s artstyle

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hell, they made the spaceships pretty this time!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to see the Knights of the Rose's Commander, Walter von Schönkopf, carve a bloody path into my heart once more. :syoon:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I don't mind most of the pretty boys yet I liked Yang's original look more than this new design, to be honest. Either way, I'm still optistimic and wondering how much of the story will be the same and what, if anything, changes significantly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first time I ever heard of LoGH was because of a fangirl gushing over the dudes in uniform, in the early 90's.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
TBH Yang's design change was the one I minded the least

I'm not big on the character designs (that style is one of the biggest reasons I've never tried out Kuroko no Basket) but the one I actually dislike is Kircheis, something about his height+hairstyle+eyes combo makes him real weird and bad to me compared to the cute+friendly original

As for Reinhard it should be a crime to cut those long flowing locks :colbert:

E: One thing I specifically don't like about the style is how the default looks are so fuckin serious and angry-looking, like drat that poster is just two mad dudes. Yang's real disappointed in me and I dunno what's going on behind me to the right but Reinhard is definitely going to gently caress it up

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 20, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like that they kept Yang Wen-Li's friendly eyes, even if he basically looks like pretty-boy #300 voiced by Kenichi Suzumura. I kinda want them to cast Maaya Sakamoto as Frederica Greenhill. :3:

Kircheis kinda looks like rear end, though. Which saddens me because Kircheis had those big eyes full of life that made you sympathize with the guy, despite him being as much of an ace as his boyhood pal.

Insurrectionist posted:

As for Reinhard it should be a crime to cut those long flowing locks :colbert:

E: One thing I specifically don't like about the style is how the default looks are so fuckin serious and angry-looking, like drat that poster is just two mad dudes. Yang's real disappointed in me and I dunno what's going on behind me to the right but Reinhard is definitely going to gently caress it up
Fair points, but do remember: Reinhard's leonine mane of hair takes time to grow. One of the things I often found funny about the older series is that I thought that the longer hair would've made him look more feminine. Instead it almost always made him look way more badass. :black101:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm looking forward to gradually growing luscious locks in HD then and the show better not disappoint on that front

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is probably one of my favorite anime and the second anime I ever watched and sought out on my own and I'm def excited and thankful for this new anime, but yeah the designs are a bummer.

Kircheis is definitely my biggest issue too. He wasn't like, typical bishonen, but still attractive in his dorky, nice way in the OVA but he kinda looks like a complete prick in the anime

vs

How is Reinhard supposed to idly play with Kircheis' hair like he does in the OVA if it this greasy mop?? I wonder if it's just Kircheis or if they're just excising all curly or voluminous hair. Like I wanna see Dusty and Julian now. I feel confident Ruental and Mittermeyer will look fine

and yeah long hair'd Reinhard is the hottest anime man and def got me on the Huh, Looking Feminine Is Way Cooler, I Wanna Look Like That tip

But I'm super excited for a new Galactic Heroes for others to see, I'm really hopeful. I wish Production I.G. wasn't making it cause I'm absolutely dying for Season 4 of Haikyuu

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 21, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is probably my favorite anime and the second anime I ever watched and sought out on my own and I'm def excited and thankful for this new anime, but yeah the designs are a bummer.

Kircheis is definitely my biggest issue too. He wasn't like, typical bishonen, but still attractive in his dorky, nice way in the OVA but he kinda looks like a complete prick in the anime

vs

How is Reinhard supposed to idly play with Kircheis' hair like he does in the OVA if it this greasy mop?? I wonder if it's just Kircheis or if they're just excising all curly or voluminous hair. Like I wanna see Dusty and Julian now. I feel confident Ruental and Mittermeyer will look fine

and yeah long hair'd Reinhard is the hottest anime man and def got me on the Huh, Looking Feminine Is Way Cooler, I Wanna Look Like That tip

the old kircheis looks like he's an off model version of someone else

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I especially don't like the new hair. It's too... defined? I don't know how to explain it, but the change in hair style from old to new is my biggest issue, alongside worrying about the vocal performances, new yang looking too young and not yangy enough and kircheis' eyes being so rough rather than earnest puppy style. Those are Reuental eyes, not Kircheis.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 21, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Moltrey posted:

But I'm super excited for a new Galactic Heroes for others to see, I'm really hopeful. I wish Production I.G. wasn't making it cause I'm absolutely dying for Season 4 of Haikyuu
Same, I could watch that show forever.

I have never seen LotGH though, so I am excited to get the chance without having to marathon the old series. Is this retelling the same story? I'd never heard of this before the trailer was posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've seen other people say it's supposed to be a straight second adaptation of the books, but I can't find a source of that? I have no idea how many episode numbers there are either, so I assuming it's doing like the old OVA and doing 26 24m episodes to cover the first season/first two books, but this is total speculation.

The old anime is still 100000% watchable today for anyone who's interested, I watched it when I was 15 - 16, like getting ready to get my learner's permit in 10 minutes watching it on my phone, so like, anyone can do it, even tho the episode count is daunting.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 21, 2017

• Locked thread