Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i just found out that our mongo data is converted from xmls (half-assedly, explaining schema inconsistencies), and when i asked about that to confirm the fact, the "lead database guy replied" THAT THEY ARE CONVERTING XML RESPONSES TO JSON SO THEY COULD BE STORES IN A DATABASE

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

python 3 doesn't work with visual studio out of the box lol

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

words can't explain in english the extent of ёбаный стыд this speaks of given that we are running postgre servers amongst other things

how do i pronounce that because this is now my catchphrase tia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FamDav posted:

https://instaud.io/1h2X

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

cool, edge and ie11 report the same version number thanks microsoft
thicrosoft

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HoboMan posted:

thicrosoft

they are the same browser tho

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
pro tip: never do anything with ip qos/dscp bits.

also dual ipv6/ipv4 sockets are right fuckers, especially when you're trying to do cross platform poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

thicrosoft

use feature detection not browser detection.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

akadajet posted:

no they definitely are not. we have ie11 issues that magically disappear in edge

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

akadajet posted:

Edge is specifically a new from the ground up rewrite which is why they also ship IE with Windows 10 for compatibility.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just do not understand time series data at all

i suppose it's unreasonable to expect that I'd have any understanding of it given my only exposure to time it is glaring at time series graphs. i've literally never read anything about it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

FamDav posted:

Yo, bunny steed!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i just do not understand time series data at all

i suppose it's unreasonable to expect that I'd have any understanding of it given my only exposure to time it is glaring at time series graphs. i've literally never read anything about it.

what's there to understand? it's data points indexed by time

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Russian cursing is very... modular

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

use feature detection not browser detection.

nope. just block anyone using ie or edge and tell the to use a real browser like chrome

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
chome is trash for ad lovers

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

feedmegin posted:

Edge is specifically a new from the ground up rewrite which is why they also ship IE with Windows 10 for compatibility.
and why it doesn't ship at all in windows 10 ltsb

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

chome is trash for ad lovers

i don't get any ads on my chrome. you're holding it wrong.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quick sanity check: is this the right way to multiply two Q16.16 fixed-point numbers together?

code:
//fixed_32 = uint32_t containing Q16.16 number
FIXED_32 FIXED_MUL(FIXED_32 a, FIXED_32 b)
{
	FIXED_32 result;
	uint64_t temp;

temp = (uint64_t)a * (uint64_t)b;
	result = temp >> 16;
	return result;
}

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
essentially if you straight multiply them together you get a 32.32 fixed-point number. so you can right-shift it to make it 48.16 (with the exact same value), then cut off the high bits to 16.16.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Arcsech posted:

pro tip: never do anything with ip qos/dscp bits.

also dual ipv6/ipv4 sockets are right fuckers, especially when you're trying to do cross platform poo poo.

qos is good though

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

feedmegin posted:

iirc edge is evergreen ie11 with the legacy compat poo poo removed from the rendering engine. they started with ie and just started ripping poo poo out

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

iirc edge is evergreen ie11 with the legacy compat poo poo removed from the rendering engine. they started with ie and just started ripping poo poo out

but if you rip poo poo out of ie there's nothing left

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

and now you see why no one likes ie 2.0

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i'm starting to feel really inadequate due to my lack of basic cs fundamentals. i'm self taught, with a degree in an unrelated subject, and i'm earning way more $$$ than i have any right to be (especially given my limited and scattered knowledge)

i'm scared that i'm falling on the bad side of dunning-kruger. is it imposter syndrome if you're actually an imposter?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

redleader posted:

i'm starting to feel really inadequate due to my lack of basic cs fundamentals. i'm self taught, with a degree in an unrelated subject, and i'm earning way more $$$ than i have any right to be (especially given my limited and scattered knowledge)

i'm scared that i'm falling on the bad side of dunning-kruger. is it imposter syndrome if you're actually an imposter?

the meritocracy is a lie and the calvinist work ethic was invented to spur people to work hard even though judgement day was coming literally tomorrow.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you don't owe your employer poo poo beyond what's in your job description. if you can do that, you're good & better if they're dumb and pay you too much

corporations are lovely "people" that it is always morally okay to cheat

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

ultravoices posted:

the meritocracy is a lie

[quote="“Powaqoatse”" post="“476578493”"]
corporations are lovely “people” that it is always morally okay to cheat
[/quote]

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

"„“

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

the myth of the Rockstar Programmer is also a big dumb stupid myth

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AggressivelyStupid posted:

what about Data Science Ninja

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

AggressivelyStupid posted:

it definitely comes up here regularly, but in my experience, a 10x programmer generally means that someone else will be cleaning up the code for at least 10x the time originally spent developing it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

redleader posted:

you could look into a weekend college program. this is basically the entire point of programs like that. my college had one alongside the traditional full-time day program that i was in, and all the weekend college students i had classes with were people who already working in the field they were getting the degree in

the downside is that it can take a lot longer than a full-time undergraduate day program; my school was 4 years for the undergrad day program, 10 for weekend. but if you already have a degree you might be able to find a school (even your old school?) that will waive a bunch of generals

and heck you might be able to convince your employer to pay for it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Leck posted:

it definitely comes up here regularly, but in my experience, a 10x programmer generally means that someone else will be cleaning up the code for at least 10x the time originally spent developing it

that was my experience with the "ninja data scientist" that "passed on" his legacy to me on the previous job. 1000s of lines long r scripts where 50 lines of code would repeat dozens of times, etc

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I do love commits with net -10KLOC sizes though.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
cjs: bringing speakers to work to plug into your computer should be a crime punishable by death

e:

going on minute 30 of hearing this on loop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm41dHucxmM

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 20, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What if the music is just faint enough that you can barely hear it? Like, faint enough that you keep checking the earphones you're not wearing, because you think it's coming from there.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

redleader posted:

if you want more of a formal cs background, just buy some textbooks and go through them (read AND do the exercises). you already have enough motivation and orientation from your job, you don't need to go back to school. alternatively, if you've gotten good at faking it, just keep that up and refine the skill and you'll be upper management in no time

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i once had that one coworker who would listen to hippie chant music. thankfully we had real offices and the dude was genuinely a good person and a good coworker so it wasnt a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

just managed to take 3000 line sql query no one ever wanted to look at that is central to how our poo poo works and make it go from 15 second run time to sub 1 second.
guess how? if you guessed removing code where it was filling a temp table with a full copy of one of the largest tables in our database you win

• Locked thread