Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love that the normal Pixel's blue color is lighter and named "kinda blue."

So, normal Pixel is priced the same as last year with a bump in base storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

So, normal Pixel is priced the same as last year with a bump in base storage.

You also get the squeezable frame and maybe waterproofing? Not sure if there is info about that out there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

do not visit r/randroid

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

You also get the squeezable frame and maybe waterproofing? Not sure if there is info about that out there.

Yeah, and whatever enhancements inherently come with the 2nd gen device.

I'm still hoping against hope that the glass top is different from this year. Already we can see that it's 2.5d, wrapping around the frame. Hopefully it's actually gorilla glass this year. Bonus if it's etched to not scratch or even made out of something else like ceramic. I really want to go back to a naked phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm so glad the base model is 64GB. 32 is too small for me but 128 is waaaaay too big, so I don't need the bigger model anymore, gently caress yeah.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't mean to defend reddit but many times there is alright discussion in Android news threads and it stretches outside of Pixel warrior slam dunks and weekly sd card interrogations and grip tapes.

Aside from that, I am excited for the new Pixel even if it costs more than my car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Of all the "toys" and "gadgets" I end up purchasing, the phone is the thing I can justify the price the best as I use it the most out of pretty much any possession I have.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
As someone still holding on to a Nexus 5 because the first pixel was so expensive, this is incredibly disheartening news. I would hold on to it longer if the speakers didn't stop working. Apparently it is too much to ask for stock or near stock android and a good camera for less then $600 these days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Solvency posted:

As someone still holding on to a Nexus 5 because the first pixel was so expensive, this is incredibly disheartening news. I would hold on to it longer if the speakers didn't stop working. Apparently it is too much to ask for stock or near stock android and a good camera for less then $600 these days.

As someone who bitched about the original Pixel pricing, no one thought they were going to be far off from the Pixel 1. I just had to use my Nexus 5 for a week, it's approaching 4 years old. Do yourself a favor and get a 4GB G5+. Sorry it's not stock android and sorry it's not got the best camera, but it is way better than a Nexus 5 and it costs $240 on Amazon. Ads easily removed. And as a bonus, you can afford to replace it more frequently than once every half-decade.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Of all the "toys" and "gadgets" I end up purchasing, the phone is the thing I can justify the price the best as I use it the most out of pretty much any possession I have.

Same, my phone is my main computer and totally worth a premium price to me.

Solvency posted:

The Pixels were never going to be a cheap Nexus style phone. They are premium and expensive. No one ever expected otherwise after the first Pixels were announced/leaked. Get a Moto G5+.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Internet Explorer posted:

As someone who bitched about the original Pixel pricing, no one thought they were going to be far off from the Pixel 1. I just had to use my Nexus 5 for a week, it's approaching 4 years old. Do yourself a favor and get a 4GB G5+. Sorry it's not stock android and sorry it's not got the best camera, but it is way better than a Nexus 5 and it costs $240 on Amazon. Ads easily removed. And as a bonus, you can afford to replace it more frequently than once every half-decade.

Yeah, I mostly like the G5+ but the reviews on this camera seem pretty bad, and I'd prefer USB-C charging. Is there any decent mid-tier?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I'm completely baffled by the people shocked at the Pixel 2 price I'm seeing in comments. Did you really expect it to be cheaper than the first Pixel?

Anyways, it's $649, so only $49 more than that $600 price point.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I can't wait to buy a $950 128GB Pixel 2 XL.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Solvency posted:

Yeah, I mostly like the G5+ but the reviews on this camera seem pretty bad, and I'd prefer USB-C charging. Is there any decent mid-tier?

Someone just posted about the Axon 7. Seems to be reviewing well and has USB-C.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Solvency posted:

Apparently it is too much to ask for stock or near stock android and a good camera for less then $600 these days.

When has that ever been a thing? If you think the camera on the Nexus 5 is good, just but a motto G and be blown away.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My old 5x has gained a new life as a casting device.

I watch so much stuff casted from my phone (netflix, progress, Eurosport mainly) and often hit issues where they'd be dropped if I did something a tad too intensive on it at the same time

It really nice to just be able to toss it aside and not have to worry about it for 4/5 hour broadcasts, and with the ridiculous boot times of Oreo, and surprisingly excellent battery life when zero apps are installed makes means it's no big deal turning it on and off when needed

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Solvency posted:

Refurb Pixel has been on sale for like $380 recently, if you're U.S. Keep an eye out and buy a Pixel 1 soon, especially once Pixel 2 is actually announced.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Pixel was $140 from verizon at bestbuy ~ black friday last year. Hoping for the same.

It was $240 and you got a $100 bestbuy gift card.

Price was not after credits so you could open a new verizon account, pay off the phone, and cancel service same day.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Solvency posted:

I quite like the LG G6. It has great cameras, USB C and nearly stock Android.

I got mine for $480 through Verizon.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Pixel was $140 from verizon at bestbuy ~ black friday last year. Hoping for the same.

It was $240 and you got a $100 bestbuy gift card.

Price was not after credits so you could open a new verizon account, pay off the phone, and cancel service same day.

I'd be surprised if there's any stock left by black Friday; in the UK they're basically sold out everywhere after a firesale in July.

E: unless you mean the Pixel 2 I guess

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
My 2017 Galaxy A5 just got Nougat, some observations:

1) Don't know if it has anything to do with Nougat, but the fingerprint reader is useful again. I've only had it for a month but the past 2 weeks it was brutal, I re-registered fingerprints but it was still taking 4-5 tries. Now it's been flawless the past 2 days.
2) New format for notifications is clearer, fits a little more detail.
3) All-caps headers. Ugh.

Other than not as expected not much change, but one regression has been scrolling - it's noticeably choppier now, in aspects like scrolling the app list and in apps like Twitter. Anyone else with an A5 on Nougat and notice this?

Edit: Ah just said screw it and did a factory reset, smoothness back to normal.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 20, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Congrats on your 2017 phone getting the 2016 OS.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Endless Mike posted:

Congrats on your 2017 phone getting the 2016 OS.

Well yes it is running Android

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

My 2017 Galaxy A5 just got Nougat, some observations:

1) Don't know if it has anything to do with Nougat, but the fingerprint reader is useful again. I've only had it for a month but the past 2 weeks it was brutal, I re-registered fingerprints but it was still taking 4-5 tries. Now it's been flawless the past 2 days.

ROFL congrats on upgrading your phone to the semi-functional status

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

2017 ... Nougat

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What security patch is that thing on?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

What security patch is that thing on?

Assuming you mean me - the Aug 1 2017 patch.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I think I missed up my pixel :(

Gotta constant "supplying power to usb device" notification and can't use the wall charger, connecting to my PC still charges (slowly)

I got caught in a pretty bad rain storm which had my phone pretty moist by the time I realized how drenched my pants were

Just in time for pixel 2

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Not sure how I feel about the 850 bux for the Pixel 2 XL, especially how that's gonna translate to Euro prices, with VAT and poo poo. That said, I stopped buying a new smartphone every year with the 5X, so it gets technically cheaper than before. Given that LG is involved, I sure hope there's going to be a wider availability.

Also, I like the red/orange power button on the white XL. Nice accent. Hope the front bezel is black for the stormtrooper look.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, I like the red/orange power button on the white XL. Nice accent. Hope the front bezel is black for the stormtrooper look.

Where are you seeing the coloured power buttons?

Also, that those renders don't show me the bezels on the front is aggravating my IBS. I want small bezels on the Pixel 2. Jesus Christ is there no one in this world who can help :(

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 20, 2017

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
After the iPhone X and the Pixel leaks failed to sway me I picked up the Note 8, which I know is about as shocking as most of you buying the Pixel 2 in a couple of weeks.

Anyways, so far there's a lot to like. Samsung fixed my one issue with the on screen navigation bar, as you're able to completely hide the on screen keys while still accessing them through force touch. The build quality is solid and the sharper angles make the device look and feel more premium in my (of course subjective) opinion.

The interface, while not much different from the S8 before it is still very slick. It will not convert any Pixel warriors, but if you already preferred Samsung's Android you'll be very happy. The infinity effects, the AOD, and the edge lighting combine to give the device a very distinctive look and feel that sets it apart from the rest of the Android pack. I did have to tweak the settings on the edge lighting to get the full potential though, as I found the default setting was neither practical nor was it the best it could look.

Performance is blazing fast, but we all know even a Pixel will slow down a bit over time so it's barely worth mentioning until a few months down the line.

There's a bunch of other stuff like split screen, the S pen, gestures, etc. that I can go into more detail if anyone is interested, or if you want to know what infinity effects are or how I configured edge lighting. Overall though, minor nitpicks aside I'm very impressed.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, my phone is my main computer and totally worth a premium price to me.

The Pixels were never going to be a cheap Nexus style phone. They are premium and expensive. No one ever expected otherwise after the first Pixels were announced/leaked. Get a Moto G5+.

Luxury gadget pricing SJWs gotta do what they gonna do.

Also, I don't know get why people saying how their post-2016 $600+ devices has "excellent performance" is somehow a plus when it should be the bare minimum standard.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Palladium posted:

Luxury gadget pricing SJWs gotta do what they gonna do.

What does this even mean

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Performance is blazing fast, but we all know even a Pixel will slow down a bit over time

No slowdown whatsoever at ten months here.

My wife, who is a much heavier phone user than I am with about twice as many apps mentioned the same thing. She came from iOS and said unprompted "Wow, there's a new Pixel coming out and I'm used to the iPhone suddenly going so much slower as soon as the next one gets announced but this is running as smooth as it did new."

I do believe Google did some work with regards to specifically this, the degradation of performance over the lifespan of the device, in Oreo but I have no specifics nor idea where I read it. It might've been in Amadeo's piece but I'm not going to go looking for it now.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, I've had no slowdown yet on my Pixel as well. I have not had to babysit anything.

The only thing I'd do when I get the Pixel 3 next year would be to buy a bigger storage space right at the start so I can pin more music. Canada data plans are terrible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Dumb question, but what does Android define as the five options on top when you pull down the panel from above (wifi, Bluetooth, etc)? I want to change some options, but I'm missing the core verbs to find out how, either in the phone or on the web.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 20, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Quick settings tiles?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Dumb question, but what does Android define as the five options on top when you pull down the panel from above (wifi, Bluetooth, etc)? I want to change some options, but I'm missing the core verbs to find out how.

On stock Android there's a pencil icon that will allow you to change those when the notification shade is pulled down all the way. If it's not there, look up "System UI Tuner" and that will explain how to enable that (I can't remember if you need the System UI Tuner turned on in order to edit those).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thanks, folks, but evidently I just needed to hit the three-dot button next to the panel and edit it that way, just like I've done before and never seemed to remember.

I do remember wondering what the hell that panel of go-to options is called the last time I did this. Still don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Today I learned that if you try to install an app on your phone through your desktop and your phone has wifi turned off, it'll download it anyway even if you have it set the play store to only use WiFi. :shepface:

I guess I didn't really need data for the next 2 weeks....