Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Don Dongington posted:

I didn't see the original, and I never said we should ignore it; I was just drawing people's attention to that particular issue, but ok.

Idk maybe don't say wade past the dog whistling racism then.

Though I accept I might be oversensitive to people overlooking this coded language having been threatened to be bashed in supermarkets before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Chinese people have babies.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I suspect it's because a) doing business in China is hard and b) the more that a company is officially involved in the Chinese market, the more people will suspect the products might be made in China or subject to poor standards somewhere along the process like other Chinese baby formulas (whereas you have more confidence in something that your friend or relative bought in Australia and carried to you on a plane)

It's this.

I work at a university who have some courses conducted in China. We gave those students testamurs in English and Mandarin but the students kicked up a stink because they viewed having Chinese on their graduation documents as inferior because people might not think it is an Australian degree.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

open24hours posted:

Isn't the problem here simply that the manufacturers aren't producing enough to keep up with demand?
Because they can let a shortage happen, raise prices and slowly reintroduce more supply into the market. Just like what happened with eggs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Other things that were in the baby formula powder circles: certain brands of multi vitamins and supplement tablets, Minion-branded Tic Tacs.

Minions branded tic tac?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

rapeface posted:

Idk maybe don't say wade past the dog whistling racism then.

Though I accept I might be oversensitive to people overlooking this coded language having been threatened to be bashed in supermarkets before.

TBH I'm not really interested in being lectured about my lack of Supreme Ideological Purity by someone called "rapeface".

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

But yeah, the reason it's done is because there was a big issue a few years ago where some Chinese baby formula was found to contain a whole lot of heavy metals or something.
I also remember some reports about rice being padded out with plastic granules. Not sure exactly how big a thing that was, but yeah, a lot of Chinese don't have confidence in Chinese made products so buying stuff from Australia is big business.

Milky Moor posted:

Other things that were in the baby formula powder circles: certain brands of multi vitamins and supplement tablets, Minion-branded Tic Tacs.
If you ever go into a Chemist Warehouse in Melbourne CBD, you'll see a lot of people just filling the hell out of baskets with multi-vitamins, it's still a huge thing to do. I've also seen this with Cadbury chocolate????

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Don Dongington posted:

TBH I'm not really interested in being lectured about my lack of Supreme Ideological Purity by someone called "rapeface".

yeah sorry a username I don't even remember how I got ~10 years ago makes you unable to accept even the lightest criticism that telling people to wade past the racism can be insensitive

perhaps I should think carefully about how to deliver my message to be more palatable to your taste

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CrazyTolradi posted:

If you ever go into a Chemist Warehouse in Melbourne CBD, you'll see a lot of people just filling the hell out of baskets with multi-vitamins, it's still a huge thing to do. I've also seen this with Cadbury chocolate????

Updated 30 Sep 2008, 12:40pm

Cadbury says it has recalled its Chinese-made chocolates from Australia, Taiwan and Hong Kong after tests "cast doubt" on their safety.

At Cadbury's head office in Birmingham, company officials said the deadly chemical melamine was found in tests carried out on several of its products made at its Beijing plant.

"As a result of these tests... we have received results that cast doubt on the integrity of a range of our products manufactured in China," a statement said.

The chocolates being recalled are Cadbury Eclairs and bulk packets of Dairy Milk chocolate.

In Australia only eclairs have been recalled from the shelves.

It is the latest fallout from the toxic milk scandal, which has sickened some 53,000 Chinese babies.

Calls placed to the company's Asia headquarters in Singapore have not been returned.

In the statement, Cadbury said all of its Chinese suppliers have been cleared by the mainland government's testing regime.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

this formula craze would all go away if people realised that titty milk is the way to go.

also is there anywhere my girlfriend .. 's friend can sell her milk to bodybuilders, china, perverts, etc? we could go from free baby food to baby food profit

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol just lol if you haven't ingested a kilo of dairy milk in a sitting imo

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
All yes here.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Updated 30 Sep 2008, 12:40pm

Cadbury says it has recalled its Chinese-made chocolates from Australia, Taiwan and Hong Kong after tests "cast doubt" on their safety.

At Cadbury's head office in Birmingham, company officials said the deadly chemical melamine was found in tests carried out on several of its products made at its Beijing plant.

"As a result of these tests... we have received results that cast doubt on the integrity of a range of our products manufactured in China," a statement said.

The chocolates being recalled are Cadbury Eclairs and bulk packets of Dairy Milk chocolate.

In Australia only eclairs have been recalled from the shelves.

It is the latest fallout from the toxic milk scandal, which has sickened some 53,000 Chinese babies.

Calls placed to the company's Asia headquarters in Singapore have not been returned.

In the statement, Cadbury said all of its Chinese suppliers have been cleared by the mainland government's testing regime.
Thanks that brings it into context more, I was wondering if there was a similiar distrust of chocolate, turns out yes there is.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-20/heterosexual-white-men-are-not-included-in-anything-mla-says/8964916

quote:

An ACT Liberal politician has used a parliamentary debate on inclusion to lament the lack of government support for heterosexual, white men.
Mark Parton said white males, aged over 30, who held down a job were "not really included in anything".
"I always find it fascinating that we focus on all of these groups that we're not going to leave behind," he told the ACT Legislative Assembly.
"But if you are a heterosexual, employed, white male over the age of 30 you're not really included in anything."

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

He should be loving thankful he's not included in anything. It means he's not subjected to:
- drug testing for the dole
- basics card
- calls to ban his religious garments
- not being able to get married because of who he loves
- having his HECS debt increase exponentially
- not getting promotions because 'well he MIGHT want to have kids'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Minions branded tic tac?

Yeah. Not sure the exact reason but there were people buying heaps of them and reselling them to people in China. It happens every so often with certain things that get featured on some Chinese streams -- people just go out and buy the products en masse. I think the term is 'daigou'.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah. Not sure the exact reason but there were people buying heaps of them and reselling them to people in China. It happens every so often with certain things that get featured on some Chinese streams -- people just go out and buy the products en masse. I think the term is 'daigou'.

Yeah, it's like over in England when people go out and buy something because Kate Middleton wore it to a big event, or everyone in the US buying a book because Oprah told them to, except dialed up to a billion.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
An ACT Liberal politician has used a parliamentary debate on inclusion to lament the lack of government support for heterosexual, white men.

Mark Parton said white males, aged over 30, who held down a job were "not really included in anything".

"I always find it fascinating that we focus on all of these groups that we're not going to leave behind," he told the ACT Legislative Assembly.

Mr Parton pointed to high suicide rates among men, particularly in the 30-to-54 age group as the reason for his concerns.

"I know that those on the other side would say that heterosexual, employed, Anglo males have opportunities aplenty so we don't need to look after them, they'll be OK," he said.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Minions are really, really popular in China.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Kegslayer posted:

Minions are really, really popular in China.

As is Peppa Pig

BUT they are not popular because of the official shows or movies.

They are popular because of all the bootleg 2D cartoons using these characters and Disney characters which children watch via automatic playlists on Youtube and Youku.

Indeed, people think China doesn't go on youtube but it's the opposite, you can walk down to a local market and buy a VPN from some fat guy in a stall and get 1000GB of VPN data for 5 dollars.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Which is exactly what I did. The local VPN fat man was very friendly.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
They outlawed VPNs in China recently, didn't they?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Won't stop them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They also banned smoking indoors in China.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

If anything, smoking will increase air quality in Beijing.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Anidav posted:

I figured it'd be one of those things that makes it just difficult enough that it makes it not worth it (to sell).

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Chadzok posted:

this formula craze would all go away if people realised that titty milk is the way to go.

I think most people do realise this but it's not an option that everyone can successfully do.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I love Minions memes, maybe i'm Chinese?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Also babies ween themselves before they can go onto solids 100%, but sure continue to mommyshame like a champ.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And away we go:

Turnbull offers Queensland power station funding if it votes LNP in state poll

Malcolm Turnbull has added fuel to the electoral arms race for Queensland, hoping to woo the state with the promise of a new coal-fired power station – but only if it votes his way in the upcoming state election.

With speculation in Canberra mounting that the Labor premier will shortly call an election in Queensland, the prime minister will head to the state on Wednesday, missing his rival Bill Shorten by just hours.

The opposition leader just wrapped up a two-day visit to the sunshine state selling Labor’s $1bn tourism plan, flying out as Turnbull flies in.

But where the opposition leader sought to better promote one of the state’s best features – its endless sunshine – Turnbull is focused on energy, vowing north Queenslandwill receive a new power station under his government, if the LNP leader, Tim Nicholls, pulls off an election win.

“I’ve been talking to Tim Nicholls, who I hope will be the next premier of Queensland, about the potential for a new advanced high-efficient low-emission power station,” Turnbull told 4BC radio on Tuesday. “If Tim becomes premier, and the state decides to build one.

“Obviously there is a substantial amount of funds in our northern Australia infrastructure fund, that is available for infrastructure. A power station ticks that box. It is definitely infrastructure.

“It would be completely depend on an LNP state government, because Annastacia Palaszczuk, for reasons she could perhaps explain, is absolutely opposed to any further investment in coal-fired energy in Queensland, despite the fact Queensland has enormous coal resources it is exporting to the world.”

The NAIF, the jewel in Tony Abbott’s plan to see northern Australia become an “economic powerhouse”, is administered by an independent body which has access to $5bn in concessional loans.

The structure of the fund keeps the $5bn off the government’s books, with the government only accountable for monies lent. So far, the fund has approved no projects, prompting a rethink on how it is used.

The focus on Queensland by both federal leaders underscores the importance of the state where at least 11 federal electorates are considered to be in play.

Turnbull, making sure to mention it was his 11th visit to the state this year, plans on spending his time with some of his more popular MPs, including Brisbane’s Trevor Evans, who bucked the trend in the last election and increased the party’s margin, despite replacing a retiring member.

Shorten, who has made more than 15 visits to the state this year, headed north, where he discussed infrastructure, jobs and investment in new industries, concentrating on areas that continue to exceed the nation’s unemployment average as the resources slowdown continues to bite.

Pauline Hanson also took advantage of the break in Canberra proceedings to head straight to her home state, selling her message in the south-east before a $995 a-head fundraiser – which lands just under the state’s $1,000 donation disclosure law.

All eyes are on George Street, where Palaszczuk will make the decision on when to hold the election, widely tipped for either November or February.

But a boundary redistribution, an additional four seats, the introduction of compulsory preferential voting and the resurgence of One Nation have complicated matters. Neither major party is seen as guaranteed to win the now-necessary 47 seats needed for power in the unicameral parliament.

Queensland is considered the state to win at the next federal election. Both major parties are convinced a victory in the north will pave the way to Canberra.

AGL won't help us destroy the environment so the LNP will.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/CliveFrederickPalmer/videos/1648746031811594/

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The Chinese melamine incident really is a tragedy from all accounts, but especially from a cultural and economic perspective.

In the years since the scandal, the Chinese have been very very reluctant to trust locally made formula and have had to choose between imported formula at ridiculous prices, or "adjusting their lifestyle" to accomodate alternatives such as good ol' breast milk. Not being able to trust the actual food produced by your own country is a pretty big cultural issue that takes years if not decades to resolve, and does serious damage your local economy in the process. It's an indictment on the lack of a valid response from the government as well.

Compare it to the US and their car manufacturing industry. Early last century the Americans were quite happy to by an American car and assume it was top quality. That was until some bright sparks invented the idea of forced obsolescence, which gave US cars a reputation for being trash that falls apart just after the warranty expires. Toyota took over the market and hasn't let go since.

The difference is how sudden the impact of the melamine incident was, basically creating an economic shock. That's the real tragedy behind it all, the fact that local Chinese parents have to make major short term changes to their living arrangements or their kids suffer, and markets overseas with more reliable and trusted products have to meet the higher demand, causing the same major short term change onto parents in THOSE markets. It's problematic to just say "well Aussie babies deserve it first" but the main issue is the profiteering from a short term shock by people just buying up all supply, not just a gradual increase. It's also very annoying that the Chinese government hasn't been effective in neutralising either the economic shock or the reputation issues yet, and until they do we will see sustained activity from the formula peddlers not just in Australia but in other dairy exporting countries.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/910396426022031360

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've never seen a Nickel Mine thief become a meme before

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Clive is going to be a youtube celebrity.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Well their #1 account is a racist Swede so they're good at endorsing minorities

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Watch it get more viewers than outsiders

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, it's a definite problem, though from what I understand, but shortages are usually local at isolated times. My sister actually drove around to different shops checking for formula lol. Restricted purchases per person make sense, as does maybe some kind of export tax/restriction? I remember when I went to Guangzhou years ago that there was already a big sign about restrictions on how much you could take into the country per person.

Anyway, here's conversation with the news:

The Facebook comments were racist as gently caress, but most of the worst poo poo has been deleted and non shitheads actually spoke out against it: https://m.facebook.com/coles/posts/1586256288105047

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

7 news ran a similar story last night. Don't read the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1659089504103895&id=130736376939223

Anidav fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Anidav posted:

7 news ran a similar story last night. Don't read the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1659089504103895&id=130736376939223

Page was deleted, I think.

• Locked thread