Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Neal Boortz, while never as popular nationally, also poo poo all over social justice. The way he even said those two words together was so full of contempt that I have yet to hear anyone else approach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is talk radio at least dying or dead? I hate that youtube has become a haven to these shits, but does anyone still listen to the old sewer pipe?

I can't imagine many pepes do.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lovechop posted:

i recommend seeing this through to the end just to see the completely hosed up world view of a sociopath fall to pieces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaRfhchKKGI

yuck

It's amazing, he literally can't motivate a single one of his beliefs.

EDIT: The guy inadvertently admits to having never had sex 46 minutes in, where does he keep finding these people

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 19, 2017

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://twitter.com/21logician/status/909813318105300998

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

business hammocks posted:

Is talk radio at least dying or dead? I hate that youtube has become a haven to these shits, but does anyone still listen to the old sewer pipe?

I mean the alt-right youtubers use the identical gimmicks, and sound exactly the same as talkback hosts from 30 years ago so the core concept isn't dead, just the delivery method?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I tried to look up demographics, but "talk radio" seems to lump sports and morning zoo stuff in with the politicos, so it's hard to tell.

Lovechop posted:

i recommend seeing this through to the end just to see the completely hosed up world view of a sociopath fall to pieces

yuck

I'm guessing there's a "how to put your interviewer on the defensive" guide that this guy is trying to follow? He's not very good at it though.

:eng101: "Hey, what's up?"
:hitler: "You don't have to yell, dude."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Talk radio won't die until all the boomers & gen xers die.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lovechop posted:

yuck

Halfway through after the guy started conceding a few points I thought he learned the error of his ways only for him to start arguing that women should be punished for not being on birth control.

Also, I make good money and $50 for ONE loving PILL is still absolutely insane.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Truckers, exurban and rural folk still do. Any place with a bad internet connection turn to the radio, which is filled with poo poo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Goon Danton posted:

I tried to look up demographics, but "talk radio" seems to lump sports and morning zoo stuff in with the politicos, so it's hard to tell.

I'm guessing there's a "how to put your interviewer on the defensive" guide that this guy is trying to follow? He's not very good at it though.

:eng101: "Hey, what's up?"
:hitler: "You don't have to yell, dude."

That was my thought. Dude started off hostile and clearly read some limp dicked "HOW TO AWESOME DEBATE SHITLIBS INTO REDPILL (*CHAN EDITION)" guide he found on some public google doc.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:ohdear:

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
I wish I had the time to create my own Descent of the Man-o-sphere type videos because I've recently been finding this Dr. Randomercam guy really insufferable. I think he's part of the Honey Badgers.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...qCeI-9fWXmXOtPw

I haven't as much since my wife took over driving the kids to school, but I did enjoy listening in on Michael Savage because he's so loving crazy and arrogant. I think right wing radio is more popular with older Christian adults and youtube is more for the younger agnostic/atheist kids.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 19, 2017

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Lovechop posted:

yuck

Not at the end yet, but this guy seems mostly young, misguided, ignorant and sad. Which is no excuse for spouting hateful bullshit, but really makes me wonder what the proportion of people who fall into right wing crap because of being ignorant rather than truly hateful. I feel mostly compassion for the former, but I kinda feel like maybe he's coming from a good place and can be saved?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Colonel J posted:

Not at the end yet, but this guy seems mostly young, misguided, ignorant and sad. Which is no excuse for spouting hateful bullshit, but really makes me wonder what the proportion of people who fall into right wing crap because of being ignorant rather than truly hateful. I feel mostly compassion for the former, but I kinda feel like maybe he's coming from a good place and can be saved?

Really that sounds like someone who came out of high school and never really experienced anything to challenge their views, or if they did just dismissed them as being some one time example.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Colonel J posted:

Basically all of them who enter the community through something like 4chan or social media. That's why it's so easy to redpill them- they are usually stupid as hell youngins with pent up sexual frustration. From redpill misogyny there's only a few stepping stones to full on recitation of the 14 words.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

JVNO posted:

Basically all of them who enter the community through something like 4chan or social media. That's why it's so easy to redpill them- they are usually stupid as hell youngins with pent up sexual frustration. From redpill misogyny there's only a few stepping stones to full on recitation of the 14 words.

Yeah, I'm at the birth control part now and this is much less funny than it was at the start. It makes me shudder how he just defaulted to calling poor women who accidentally become pregnant "stupid bitches".

edit : The "life's not fair!" thing is just so aggravating.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 19, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lovechop posted:

yuck

Has anyone made a compilation of these smoothbrains getting dunked on? I feel it could be v. funny, but without the soul-crushing of going through whole of these 'debate' videos.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NHBMaxmXh8

Having listened to this I still don't understand Allison's position that believing women are more likely to get raped than men leads to women having less fulfilled lives. What sort of life decisions are changed based on the likelihood of rape?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

What sort of life decisions are changed based on the likelihood of rape?

Is this a serious question?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

Is this a serious question?

Yes. Am I forgetting something obvious?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

Yes. Am I forgetting something obvious?

That people generally want to avoid being raped, it seems.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

That people generally want to avoid being raped, it seems.

I think you didn't understand my question.

She's saying that she would have lived her life differently had she believed she had an equal chance of getting rapped as men do instead of a greater chance and therefore its wrong to make women feel like victims. To me that argument doesn't hold water because I can't think of any life changing decisions that would change based on the odds of being raped (short of going down a dark alley by yourself and finding a suitcase full of money.)

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 20, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't perhaps think that the risk of sexual assault might sort of... add up and influence the sorts of things you feel able to do without fear?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Somfin posted:

I'm rereading it- my point, which I sort of wavered on, was that violence is a narrative element that, due to the nature of games, is really easy to put in place. It needs to be read in context, seen as an element of a larger text, and critiqued within the broader work. Criticising a game for containing violence is like criticising a sport for using a ball or criticising a book for having a male character, and leaving the criticism at that. Saying that the game is politically wrongthink because it has violence in it misses the fact that games have been using violence for over 55 years (Spacewar, motherfuckers!) and there's a lot of history and nuance to how a game uses violence, and what violence means in the text in question. DOOM's violence is about justice winning out over greed. Wolfeinstein's violence is about hope triumphing over tyranny. Undertale's violence is about video game violence itself and the nature of choice in constructed experiences, and the fact that it offers another choice is itself a political decision- rejection of violence, which is an act the player must perform every turn by consciously moving the clicker off "FIGHT" and onto "ACT," is presented as the superior choice. Overwatch's violence is about the joy of competition and the power of teamwork and about how little turret bastards are just the worst and suck and should be nerfed and I hate them.

That's not to say that violence is inherently okay, either. Because violence is easy and lethal violence is way easier than a lot of other means of conflict resolution (if you remove an element from the board rather than changing its nature, that's easier to design for than building a system to handle changed items, and brainwashing or conversion is its own fuckin' kettle of fish, man), a lot of games default to it or its inclusion to the detriment of their narratives. A lot of other games revel in explicit violence as a primary conceit to the exclusion of almost anything else. This may or may not be the point of the text and proper critique will involve flushing that out, rather than just looking at the violence's presence or absence and knocking a point off the overall score.

There's been a lot of games where the violence has been unsettling, for example. Bioshock Infinite comes to mind. But one must never assume that "this violence is unsettling" is the end of the goddamned conversation. If video games are to be treated as an art form, then their elements, and the effects those elements have on the audience, need to be assessed as being decisions made by a creator rather than mistakes. Bioshock Infinite's violence is unsettling because Booker DeWitt is a shithead who defaults to violence, and up until that is revealed, the game seems a lot more friendly, and the player is more able to project themselves into a player character who is secretly not the same as them. It is unsettling because players may have assumed things about their character which are now not true, and the sudden and vicious inclusion of a sequence of brutal violence is jarring until more of Booker's past is revealed and the earlier sequence snaps into place as a natural outgrowth of how Booker deals with basically everything in his life. Would the game have been better without violence? No. Bioshock Infinite is the experience that it is because it contains the violence that it does. Removing it would require a massive overhaul of the entire narrative, and in the end the game would not be the same game, and comparing the two would be like comparing Call of Duty Black Ops to What Remains of Edith Finch.

So, that's my point. Violence is a core narrative element in a lot of games, and calling for it to be removed is like calling for romance to be removed from all films.

You know, a post like this just reminds me of how limited games are on a fundamental level. It's not that violence is bad, it's that videogames don't really seem to have the capability of getting beyond it and offering engrossing mechanical hooks that don't revolve around violence in some way or another, and if the only viewpoint that they can offer for is a gun-sight then it will always have fairly limited value. Comparing it to romance in movies is more than a little ridiculous. For one I'm prepared to say that Romance is nowhere near as all-encompassing for movies as violence is for videogames, and Violence and Romance aren't somehow equals that can be swapped out for one another. Maybe this is me being sentimental but I think a Nicholas Sparks novel is more of a window into the human condition than something like Doom, that's not making GBS threads Doom I just think a myopic fixation on violence has intrinsically less to offer on an artistic level than a myopic fixation on human relationships. Effectively games are stuck with the one tool they try to use on so many different problems, and really, there's only so many things that tool can actually do. That's not even getting into the fact that games have typically not even been very thorough about their explorations of violence, despite the intense fixation on it. There are few games would try to examine or make a gameplay system out of something like Domestic abuse or institutionalized violence against minorities. I'm sure someones guffawing at the thought of making a game out of such things, but again its the kind of subject matter for which film, or novels work with comfortably while games just don't. Violence in games primarily defaults to extreme, aggressive empowerment instead.

This argument also strikes me as similar to when people dismiss, for example, Feminist critiques of popular culture by fixating on particular works they might enjoy and justifying why there's no particularly important female characters in Glengarry Glen Ross or The Thing. I'm sure there's lots of points that can be raised in those films favor and their exploration of aggressive masculinity in all-male environments, the kind of examination you give Bioshock Infinite here(though I think that it falls down a bit because Booker is repeatedly forced into situations where he has to respond violently or die and because Binfinite could have found other ways to maintain its themes and narrative without making the violence so omnipresent), but it doesn't really matter because the individual examples aren't that important (and there'll always be a way to justify them), its about the aggregate across the medium. Why are videogames so routinely violent? What are implications of that fixation on violence that seems to afflict an entire medium?

Maybe I'm too harsh to say that games are limited on a fundamental level, but I just think if I was interested in seeing games develop and mature as a medium a post like this is quite depressing because it edges too close to suggesting that games just can't not do violence, and I know that even critics who don't have hangups about violence for violence's sake are getting increasingly uneasy that the medium is so unwilling to explore what can be achieved mechanically or otherwise without bringing in a bunch of gunfights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc

Its not about violence being entirely removed, that's a strawman really. It's about, as the video says, slowing it the gently caress down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean there's a bunch of games that don't really focus on violence at all, it's just that the shootymans genre is appealing to nerds.

There are limitations to what you can do with the format of a game before it becomes simply a movie you have to click through, there's technological limitations which force you into some sort of challenge/puzzle element as the core of the game, though there are equally games that are just experiential and games that try the aforementioned clickthrough movie style, but I think the medium works best as something that requires you to think about stuff and input instructions based on your decisions, in some way. There's telltale which tries to make a story game based on that idea too, but the medium really does lend itself to puzzles and challenges more than anything else.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 20, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

I think you didn't understand my question.

She's saying that she would have lived her life differently had she believed she had an equal chance of getting rapped as men do instead of a greater chance and therefore its wrong to make women feel like victims. To me that argument doesn't hold water because I can't think of any life changing decisions that would change based on the odds of being raped (short of going home with the rapey looking guy/gal you would have normally avoided and she/he ends up being a awesome guy/gal and you marry him/her.)

Your lack empathy and the ability to see things from a woman's perspective is not a failing of the argument.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

khwarezm posted:

You know, a post like this just reminds me of how limited games are on a fundamental level. It's not that violence is bad, it's that videogames don't really seem to have the capability of getting beyond it and offering engrossing mechanical hooks that don't revolve around violence in some way or another, and if the only viewpoint that they can offer for is a gun-sight then it will always have fairly limited value. Comparing it to romance in movies is more than a little ridiculous. For one I'm prepared to say that Romance is nowhere near as all-encompassing for movies as violence is for videogames, and Violence and Romance aren't somehow equals that can be swapped out for one another. Maybe this is me being sentimental but I think a Nicholas Sparks novel is more of a window into the human condition than something like Doom, that's not making GBS threads Doom I just think a myopic fixation on violence has intrinsically less to offer on an artistic level than a myopic fixation on human relationships. Effectively games are stuck with the one tool they try to use on so many different problems, and really, there's only so many things that tool can actually do. That's not even getting into the fact that games have typically not even been very thorough about their explorations of violence, despite the intense fixation on it. There are few games would try to examine or make a gameplay system out of something like Domestic abuse or institutionalized violence against minorities. I'm sure someones guffawing at the thought of making a game out of such things, but again its the kind of subject matter for which film, or novels work with comfortably while games just don't. Violence in games primarily defaults to extreme, aggressive empowerment instead.

This argument also strikes me as similar to when people dismiss, for example, Feminist critiques of popular culture by fixating on particular works they might enjoy and justifying why there's no particularly important female characters in Glengarry Glen Ross or The Thing. I'm sure there's lots of points that can be raised in those films favor and their exploration of aggressive masculinity in all-male environments, the kind of examination you give Bioshock Infinite here(though I think that it falls down a bit because Booker is repeatedly forced into situations where he has to respond violently or die and because Binfinite could have found other ways to maintain its themes and narrative without making the violence so omnipresent), but it doesn't really matter because the individual examples aren't that important (and there'll always be a way to justify them), its about the aggregate across the medium. Why are videogames so routinely violent? What are implications of that fixation on violence that seems to afflict an entire medium?

Maybe I'm too harsh to say that games are limited on a fundamental level, but I just think if I was interested in seeing games develop and mature as a medium a post like this is quite depressing because it edges too close to suggesting that games just can't not do violence, and I know that even critics who don't have hangups about violence for violence's sake are getting increasingly uneasy that the medium is so unwilling to explore what can be achieved mechanically or otherwise without bringing in a bunch of gunfights:

Its not about violence being entirely removed, that's a strawman really. It's about, as the video says, slowing it the gently caress down.

this is true. though like owlfancier says, there are plenty of non violent or at least non gory games out there. i always loved the options in all the old bioware/obsidian/witcher RPGs. where you can talk your way out of situations and to calm things down if you are smart enough or pay attention to stuff. one of my favorite gaming expierences is playing knights of the old republic with my friend and playing as defense attorney for a republic agent and basicaly bullshitting the justice system into letting him go as for your other question. its because its easy to make and people will buy it. they like action and violence in safe simulated environment. and bioshock infinite is its own sad mess, probably because it got remade from the ground up like 5 loving times, sucks because 1 is my favorite.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Who What Now posted:

Your lack empathy and the ability to see things from a woman's perspective is not a failing of the argument.

this. my GF was raped by her ex, a few times, not to mention assulted and verbaly abused. she will never get any justice because of state law bullshit and she is still messed up from it badly as one would be. :(

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

khwarezm posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that things are as bleak as you suggest for games. Certainly mainstream games have a fixation on violence, no question, but the last few years have seen an explosion in indie games, particularly in the PC realm, and exploration of those nuances and more mature topics is part of what created the whole gamergate poo poo in the first place. And though it's definitely not an excuse for mainstream games, I'd note that if you look through lists of the top grossing films of the last few years and filter out films explicitly for children, you end up with lists that are almost exclusively "protagonist uses violence to solve problems", and while there's definitely a bigger wealth of films out there with other focuses, I think violence in games is more a reflection of culture generally than a reflection of video gaming culture specifically .

The games industry definitely has a long way to go, but I'd actually say it's moving in leaps and bounds in the right direction in its indie scene, and there have been many indie games in recent years which were extremely well received both critically and by the public which explored topics much further afield from violence, or explored violence in more interesting ways.

Incidentally, if you're interested in trying a game about institutionalised violence against minorities, I'd suggest Analog: A Hate Story by Christine Love. It's a science fiction allegory about the historical oppression of women told through fictional letters and diaries written by men and women in a society where women have no rights (it is super depressing, with good reason).

EDIT: I'm also not sure 100% how to articulate the other point I want to make, but it's something along the lines of that I think the way we uncritically accept the "gamer" definition of what a constitutes the "games industry" is harmful, because it reflexively downplays games which are popular with women. Hidden Object Games are popular with women, as one example, but because they're on mobile and aren't of significant interest to so-called hardcore gamers, they're often derided as "casual" or "not real games" or more commonly, just dismissed out of hand and entirely ignored. What I'm trying to get at here is that violence in games is more of a "young man" problem than it is a "games" problem, and games aimed at other demographics, like Hidden Object Games often have no violence at all, and we should be careful not to just look at the games men play and draw our entire analysis from that.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 20, 2017

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

OwlFancier posted:

You don't perhaps think that the risk of sexual assault might sort of... add up and influence the sorts of things you feel able to do without fear?

Are you saying women are more timid than men because they've been told they have a statistically greater chance of being raped? I had not considered that.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

Don't confuse a lack of awareness with a lack of empathy.

Please, enlighten me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. my GF was raped by her ex, a few times, not to mention assulted and verbaly abused. she will never get any justice because of state law bullshit and she is still messed up from it badly as one would be. :(

I'm sorry for what happened to your GF, but the way I understood their discussion was that it was regarding women who hadn't been raped. It's a whole different ballgame when dealing with PTSD.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 20, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fallenturtle posted:

Are you saying women are more timid than men because they've been told they have a statistically greater chance of being raped? I had not considered that.

Or it's because they actually do have a statistically better chance of being raped

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

fallenturtle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NHBMaxmXh8

Having listened to this I still don't understand Allison's position that believing women are more likely to get raped than men leads to women having less fulfilled lives. What sort of life decisions are changed based on the likelihood of rape?

It's always weird to see the MRAs complain about SJWs supposedly ignoring male-on-male rape that happens in prison. I mean, these are the same assholes that love to frame everything in alpha and beta terms. If a guy gets raped in prison, then obviously he was a cuck and deserved to do so. I'd personally love to see more attention being given towards the issue of prison rape, but these guys are not exactly the kinds of people I'd expect to lead the charge.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Or it's because they actually do have a statistically better chance of being raped

Right, her belief was that it was an equal chance between men and women and therefore women were being unjustly victimized which in turn lead to them living different lives, which Kevin didn't buy at all. I'm just curious to what sort of life changing decisions she had in mind.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

fallenturtle posted:

What sort of life decisions are changed based on the likelihood of rape?

I just walked to the store at 8:00 pm at night, in the dark, to get a soda

I brought a flashlight, because the worst thing I can imagine happening to me--a white male in the south--is that I get hit by a car.

Now, my decision to go get a soda wasn't a life changing decision, because statistically speaking I wasn't going to get raped.

Just like all the times I got TOTES WASTED BRAH at friends' houses, or even total strangers' parties. They weren't life changing decisions, for me, personally, because oh no somebody might draw a dick on my forehead. Knowing what I know about rape statistics, all these little moments--how much I drink at a party, what time I step outside or if I step outside at all, who I let give me a ride home or who I give a ride to--all of a sudden these unimportant footnotes in my day would have become potentially life changing decisions if I wasn't a big hairy dude. Hundreds to thousands of insignificant choices I make without giving them a second thought could suddenly become The Day My Life Was Ruined.

edit: I have worked three different jobs over the course of my life where I worked by myself overnight. Two of those jobs were explicitly and verbally given to me instead of a woman because the manager was afraid a female employee could be raped.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

Do you think perhaps there might be things that cause women to get that impression without resorting to statistics?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I just walked to the store at 8:00 pm at night, in the dark, to get a soda

I brought a flashlight, because the worst thing I can imagine happening to me--a white male in the south--is that I get hit by a car.

Now, my decision to go get a soda wasn't a life changing decision, because statistically speaking I wasn't going to get raped.

Just like all the times I got TOTES WASTED BRAH at friends' houses, or even total strangers' parties. They weren't life changing decisions, for me, personally, because oh no somebody might draw a dick on my forehead. Knowing what I know about rape statistics, all these little moments--how much I drink at a party, what time I step outside or if I step outside at all, who I let give me a ride home or who I give a ride to--all of a sudden these unimportant footnotes in my day would have become potentially life changing decisions if I wasn't a big hairy dude. Hundreds to thousands of insignificant choices I make without giving them a second thought could suddenly become The Day My Life Was Ruined.

edit: I have worked three different jobs over the course of my life where I worked by myself overnight. Two of those jobs were explicitly and verbally given to me instead of a woman because the manager was afraid a female employee could be raped.

I can see that, I wasn't really thinking about it from the perspective of being able to enjoy life more carelessly... then again while her take away from it was that if there was an equal chance of rape it would remove a burden from her decision making I would think it would be smarter for men to become more on guard.

edit: do you think the manager was justified in discriminating on that basis?

OwlFancier posted:

Do you think perhaps there might be things that cause women to get that impression without resorting to statistics?

Sure, but their conversation was based on statistics, which is why I said it that way.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, that chick is really dumb.

"I want to find solutions for actually stopping rapes from happening, not worrying about things like 'rape culture'. "

Because rape culture has nothing to do with anything, of course.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

fallenturtle posted:

edit: do you think the manager was justified in discriminating on that basis?

One of the managers, no. It was a security guard position, and at least two of the women applying were bigger and better built than I was, and both were already CLEET certified. One was an actual cop on the side, the other was ex military. I'm pretty confident that anybody trying to rape those women would have gotten their dicks snapped off. I don't know if the head of security genuinely feared for their safety, or if he was just a sexist rear end in a top hat. Either was likely, because that guy was a shitstain--all I know for sure is that he made it very clear he hired me because he didn't want to "put a woman in danger like that."

The other manager that verbalized their intentions about it, I think the justification was pretty clear. It was a midnight shift at a convenience store, and in less than a year I got robbed at knife point. The manager of that store--who was, herself, a woman--believed 100% that the store was more likely to be robbed if a woman was working that shift, or worse. I don't know the mind of a thief (or a rapist), so I don't know if "a woman is alone in the store" and "a rather large biker looking guy is alone in the store" makes a tremendous difference in whether or not you want to pull some poo poo, but when the manager said she feared for the safety of female employees on the night shift I believed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Adventure games, text and graphical, were a very popular genre in the 80s and 90s mostly focused on solving puzzles, experiencing a story and talking to characters that was usually non-violent. It basically launched gaming on the personal computer

• Locked thread