Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Snuffman posted:

I'm not sure that message on the fetch screen is right, maybe its a bug or not working as intended. :shrug:

My iPhone is not plugged into power and I turned the wifi off. Sent myself an email from my PC and it appeared on my iPhone the same time it appeared in my inbox.

EDIT: Okay, definitely don't need to be plugged in but you do need to be on wifi. Still, that's a huge improvement.

Tried using it at work and for the afternoon it never fetched until I opened the app. Seems the message about it being on power and on wifi is accurate, because I was on the work wifi while I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Craptacular! posted:

It feels that way because the app sizes are gone.

Pages and Numbers are both above 400MB to download which is just crazy given how limited they are.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I love the new scrolling behavior in Safari

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

bronin posted:

I think they did this so the phone can wait for the double click to go to recent apps which is much more smooth and consistent now. I think they did this because they took away our 3D Touch app switching gesture.

Ok if others noticed it too then I’m good. Just thought that was the most noticeable thing but no one else had posted about it.

So I thought this Files app meant like we can have local files. Is it basically just a central place for all of your cloud services?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress there is so much white space at the top of every native app.

This is all bad visual changes with no cool or good actual features.

This is bad.

Very bad.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
This is apple maps bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Messages one is definitely the worst IMO. It's just SO pointless.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rick Sanchez posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/bJxcF

EDIT: wow, trying to post a pic from your phone through Awful is...*buuuurp*...dogshit now

Uh get on my level scrub

(then you just Paste)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CancerStick posted:

Does anybody else have a 6 and how does iOS 11 run on it for you. Does it run like dog poo poo for you as well?

Using a 6 right now, feels fine to me. I factory reset before installing the iOS 11 GM.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pivo posted:

Uh get on my level scrub

(then you just Paste)

What is this on?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Over There posted:

What is this on?

Workflow

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/workflow/id915249334?mt=8

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Over There posted:

What is this on?

Workflow, I hadn't tried it out before I saw this post. Five minutes later I had this workflow set up, too.

It's not as powerful as Tasker on Android but it's way more capable than I thought something like that would be on iOS.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Cool, good to know

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple actually acquired Workflow so they can pretend it's not an Apple product all they want, but I'm guessing if they actually spend time & money on it, it's gonna be a blessed app and able to do system level stuff other apps can't ... Tim willing.

But it is surprisingly powerful out of the box.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Anything else you use it for to get a couple of ideas?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

They have a gallery of workflows ... Some cool things are share location (Maps -> Current Location -> URL to clipboard), 'Brush teeth timer' (start 2 min timer), 'Watch IG Fullscreen' (copy a video link, download it, and watch it in landscape). I don't really use any of those, I only use the Upload last to imgur because it's a pain in the dick to do it normally, but if there's something you'd like to automate, Workflow can probably help. You can add your Workflows as widgets on your left-of-home screen :P Surprised there are power users in this thread that have not heard of it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The best one is the one that saves a YT video to your Camera roll :cool:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh sweet. Using work flow, here is my atrocity.

I wish there was a quicker way to organize.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hot take: I think I like the smaller now playing card more.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I was playing around with the flower wallpapers and maybe you guys would like them as well. I've been using these on the lock screen with the official ones on the home screen. I didn't put a lot of time in so they're not super polished, but I could fix them up a little if you guys are interested.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Over There posted:

Oh sweet. Using work flow, here is my atrocity.

stock reddit app is garbage, if you like to browse your home page for pictures, look at Monochrome, it's really good for that. if you like to comment, get Narwhal, the whole gesture based UX is really neat and it just makes reading long comment threads easy. there is really no reason to be using their reddit app, it's awful.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Pivo posted:

stock reddit app is garbage, if you like to browse your home page for pictures, look at Monochrome, it's really good for that. if you like to comment, get Narwhal, the whole gesture based UX is really neat and it just makes reading long comment threads easy. there is really no reason to be using their reddit app, it's awful.

This joke is completely unnecessary but I couldn't help making it

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Any bugs /issues with 11 I should know about before I upgrade?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm getting lots of crashes in Mail.app

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It seems to have trouble correctly displaying audio output devices. No issues with actual playback, but it appears to be random whether the music widget displays “iPhone” or the actual output device whenever I look at it, and the playback screen in Music.app shows the name of the output device at the bottom of the screen like 5% of the time. Not a critical bug by any means, but one of those things that’s so visible and consistent that I have to wonder how it made it out the door.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dugong posted:

Any bugs /issues with 11 I should know about before I upgrade?

My brothers and I are all finding it's nuking our (already aged) batteries. We're all on 6+/6S+.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Not pause, play podcast at normal volume and still hear notification without being disruptive.

Plus google maps isn’t Waze, even though they own it.
Apple Maps does this which is why I don't use it since I end up having to rewind constantly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Apple Maps always pauses my podcasts when it talks to me :confused:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I’d be fine looking at reddit in safari but every time I load the bookmark it nags me to use their stupid app. :argh:

Why bother with a perfectly usable mobile site and then poo poo on people for using it?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

Why bother with a perfectly usable mobile site and then poo poo on people for using it?

i guess you're not up to date? reddit is a massive corporation that behaves like an incestuous silicon valley startup and they do things because $$ and marketing, not to make your experience better

that's why if you still like the community, it's best to use a third party app. praise of the official app is nonexistant. they literally bought out and then killed the good 3rd party (alien blue). they're just not behaving like a good corporate citizen. whatever.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

i mean they went from having like 20 employees under Conde Nast (which already makes them pretty loving Big Corporate) to having hundreds, if not thousands at his point... and nothing to show for it. they stopped open sourcing the platform, they pander to media, they fired that chick who ran all the AMAs, reddit is cancer, don't use their official app

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I stopped using the official Reddit app because instead of displaying GIFVs it displays a grainy downsampled five-frame version that looks horrible. Narwhal is better.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

gifv is just imgur's way of describing an mp4, behind the scenes it's all mp4 (probably h264), it's stupid that they couldn't figure that out

but to be honest i don't think you can embed mp4/'gifv' on SA either, it loads the gif version ... all of you idiots (and i love you) who loaded my gif downloaded like 20 megs, some of you over cellular ...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Dave posted:

Hot take: I think I like the smaller now playing card more.

It's trash and having the lock screen be the album art is a million times better and was a Steve-approved feature of the original iPhone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It's trash and having the lock screen be the album art is a million times better and was a Steve-approved feature of the original iPhone.

The original iPhone didn’t have a list of notifications on its lock screen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pivo posted:

gifv is just imgur's way of describing an mp4, behind the scenes it's all mp4 (probably h264), it's stupid that they couldn't figure that out

but to be honest i don't think you can embed mp4/'gifv' on SA either, it loads the gif version ... all of you idiots (and i love you) who loaded my gif downloaded like 20 megs, some of you over cellular ...

No, SA uses gifv. The main issue with gifv here is that preview doesn't work. You paste an url, in the preview screen you get an url, and when you hit post it shows up in the thread as a gifv.

:iiam:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

No, SA uses gifv. The main issue with gifv here is that preview doesn't work. You paste an url, in the preview screen you get an url, and when you hit post it shows up in the thread as a gifv.

:iiam:

So here we go

https://i.imgur.com/FY1AbSo.gifv

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You're right! If you post the URL WITHOUT enclosing it in [img] or [timg] it DOES render as an inline video player, grabbing the MP4 contained content.

wat.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

... but Olivia Wilde was really good in Tron Legacy (I mean, she was good despite the movie being a bit weak, with an awesome soundtrack)

I wonder why Olivia Wilde isn't more popular, she seems like she's cool enough OUTSIDE of Hollywood that she doesn't need the approval of Hollywood ... she just does what she likes

anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
So, Apple isn't doing the thing with the AppStore anymore where it pulls the latest app version compatible with your iOS. It's refusing to let me download an app cause it requires iOS 11. But what about their last update, Apple? That's good enough for me and will surely work on this iOS!

Edit:

The only reason I'm getting this, I think, is because this device is compatible with iOS 11. If I had a 5c or whatever on iOS 10 still, it would work.

decypher fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 20, 2017