Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Toys R Us sold video games?

video games are toys so yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I've never been more saddened or aware of how nerd culture is inherently tied into consumerism and retail therapy.

There's not even any people in that comic it's just about the magic of purchasing things, down to fetishizing every detail of the buying experience.

I mean, I get it, but I'm upset that I get it.

I mean, you're not wrong, but there's nothing wrong with looking fondly back on a good memory. I remember when I got my Sega as a kid -- I had the worst flu of my life, couldn't keep anything down, and my parents took pity on ke and let me open my birthday/Christmas gift a few days early; a Sega Genesis with Sonic 2. I was so thrilled I managed to forget my flu, and to this day Sonic 2 gives me the hugest feeling of joy and warmth because my parents wanted to make me feel better. Is it shallow to be so happy over a toy? Maybe, but I'm still happy about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never been more saddened or aware of how nerd culture is inherently tied into consumerism and retail therapy.

There's not even any people in that comic it's just about the magic of purchasing things, down to fetishizing every detail of the buying experience.

Did you not get toys as a kid or something?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Our parents never grew up with video games like we did, so when you managed to convince them to drop $50 on one back in 1991, it was a big loving deal. In today’s money that Sonic the Hedgehog cartridge costs $90.
http://www.in2013dollars.com/1991-dollars-in-2017?amount=50

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I don't know about you guys but my only memories of ToysRUs contain thoughts of "Why is this place so loving expensive compared to ANY other store?" When I heard they were going bankrupt my first reaction was "Yeah, that makes sense."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

QuoProQuid posted:

Toys R Us sold video games?

"SEGA is a toy because they sell them at the toy stores" -Nintendo Power's readers' letters

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

Did you not get toys as a kid or something?

Did you never stop getting them?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

There actually are people in that comic, and that's what makes it sweet rather than just commodity fetishism. The exact same comic with some gross adult nerd buying a Funko Pop for himself, by himself, would be more along the lines of what you're describing, "about the magic of purchasing things."

There's two things to keep in mind, here: first, in 1992, the internet hadn't yet made the awareness of the existence of every single possible thing at all times a happening thing, yet. When a kid went into a mall, or a toy store, or whatever, that was very likely the first time they were learning that this or that neat thing existed. The experience of walking into a store full of things just for you was pregnant with possibility and wonder.

The second thing is that the game's being bought for the kid. The pat on the head at the end. I get that you're critical of consumerism and buying plastic nerd poo poo for its own sake, and that's a great way to be, but if you were to reframe this comic as, say, the anticipation and eventual receipt of a sheet of freshly-baked cookies, I don't think you'd have as much of an issue with it. Getting a gift when you're a kid is a pretty magical thing.

e: fanart tax (Cook, Serve, Delicious)

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 12:30 on Sep 20, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah this kind of feels like getting mad at someone for having fond memories of a really good Christmas present they got

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zelder posted:

Yeah this kind of feels like getting mad at someone for having fond memories of a really good Christmas present they got

Yeah, I scrimped and saved to buy my uncle's used gameboy off him (He was only a couple years older than me, so money was a big deal to both of us) when he got a gamegear instead, and the one time a year when my mom would take me to the store for my birthday and let me pick -one- new gameboy game was absolutely loving magical.

I loved playing final fantasy with the sitter, so when I saw Final Fantasy Adventure, I got it without thought. What I got was a Zelda-like, but that was awesome too, Zelda owned. I got Final Fantasy Legend 2 for the same reason. Got a dragon warrior clone, but dragon warrior also owned, so when I saw Final Fantasy Legend 3, I got that too.

Looking back on it, my record for picking great gameboy games was essentially perfect. Those three and link's awakening being the standouts. I still have that brick gameboy and all the games, too.

Basically what I'm saying is don't poo poo on someone's memories.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Slime posted:

video games are toys so yes

Toys'Я'Art?

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Sep 20, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zelder posted:

Please do not have good memories of buying things you pathetic dork and stop laughing at those asinine Wendy's tweets. Consumerism is bad and we will all die crushed under a wave of our shoddily made, overpriced garbage.

/s

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RareAcumen posted:

Please do not have good memories of buying things you pathetic dork and stop laughing at those asinine Wendy's tweets. Consumerism is bad and we will all die crushed under a wave of our shoddily made, overpriced garbage.

/s

This, but unironically.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lotta people ITT just watched They Live and now think they are clever

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Holy poo poo y'all are some joyless husks. There's a big difference between childlike joy at getting something you've wanted and mindlessly regurgitating the Arby's ad campaign. Do you like, go to toy stores and tell children not to be slaves to capitalism before slapping the teddy bear out of their hands?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Glagha posted:

Holy poo poo y'all are some joyless husks. There's a big difference between childlike joy at getting something you've wanted and mindlessly regurgitating the Arby's ad campaign. Do you like, go to toy stores and tell children not to be slaves to capitalism before slapping the teddy bear out of their hands?

No, they just jerk off to the fantasy like normal people.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Whining about people buying things like a bunch of goddamn college communists.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Glagha posted:

We have been talking about adults. People who make nostalgic comics about Toys R' Us are not actual children.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Glagha posted:

Materialistic children grow up to be materialistic adults. :siren:DONALD TRUMP:siren: is a perfect example. Parents ought to strive to prevent this from happening.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shut the gently caress up this is stupid conversation that isn't interesting for the majority of posters. There's plenty of threads for gourmet hot takes right here in PYF even.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a sensible idea to put Paladinus and Bravestofthelamps on ignore, because they are both awful people, and awful posters.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

STEVEN SEAGAL IS: HARD TO DRAW

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCe_8uCD1xE

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/910534028482060288

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Of course loving 8ch would have a bizarro version of /pol/.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnWuEfnTlpE

E:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nobody has actually gone to Arby's in this thread though right?

I know we're goons but we should still have some standards.

I mean why is there bacon in the milkshake

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We don't have Arby's here but those sandwiches look okay

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

I hadn't noticed that, that's absurd.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

We don't have Arby's here but those sandwiches look okay

food artists can do some magical poo poo, if they weren't paid by the company it'd almost be a fanart in and of itself

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When did Arby's become the new Waffle House?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Stopped by there once way back on a road trip a little after ten at night since nothing else was open and everyone was hungry. I'd put it on par with Pizza Hut, overpriced and left my stomach upset but at least I wasn't hungry?

All that and more over here.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/Anaugi3/status/910377298641276928

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Should've had 3 lenses

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah it's decent for fast food. Better than Hardees in any case.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The experience of nostalgia is profound and human, the particulars of it don't really matter. We all have fond memories of things that are fundamentally dumb.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Heath posted:

The experience of nostalgia is profound and human, the particulars of it don't really matter. We all have fond memories of things that are fundamentally dumb.

Yeah, we all paid ten bucks for em too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

click(!!!!!!!!) for big!!!!!!

• Locked thread