Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Repost from my Z thread:

I bought a 91' Suzuki Carry 4wd (w/ diff lock)

And a 91 Hijet Climber (4wd with diff lock)

We are bringing them over to resell, both are going to get their beds sanded down to metal and bed liner sprayed on (got a friend who does it professionally, will do cheap sprays with no warranty and we do all the prep). They both had their tires replaced at the port. Going to get a good wash and interior cleaning. Alot of little fixes (stuff I can do for free or super cheap). I think my buddy and I are going to list them for 4,000 each and settle for 3,600-3,700. I might end up keeping one though because kei truck.

My coworkers husband works for a rural fire department and showed them to her husband, who showed the fire chief. They are very interested in looking at them as the chiefs current truck (F -350 with everything) has trouble going up some of the back roads and calls he gets (too big). Also he feels the ford truck would be better served for the working guys and not on little calls. Hopefully, this is something they are down for cause he said at 4,000 each they would likely get 3 or 4 (could save alot on shipping that way). Also, having a fire department as a customer is good word of mouth for advert. Might need to do some modifications on the drivers seat for QOL but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Rad as heck, should see about getting g the actual kei truck fire trucks that show up sometimes and really get the fire chief into it.

I've got nothing to show because hurricane Irma, but my kei vans survived perfectly at the places we stashed them. I have my 83 Acty and Rugger coming on the same ship, but to Jacksonville so hope that port is back to 100% operation in a month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Just wanted to verify that 25 yr. Old trucks are exempt from the 25% chicken tax, and I should file the 2.5% instead.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

savesthedayrocks posted:

Keep that shift knob when you deliver to the fire dept to watch their faces.

I say swap it out for one that lights up/is an actual dildo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Just wanted to verify that 25 yr. Old trucks are exempt from the 25% chicken tax, and I should file the 2.5% instead.

Isn't this chicken tax thing for manufacturers and has nothing to do with private individuals? I've never even seen anything relating to the chicken tax unless I was reading about the hilarious steps Ford would take to bring over Transits or why the Subaru Brat had jump seats.

From absolutely everything I've ever seen there is zero federal anything to do with vehicles over 25 years old besides having the importation done properly. Then depending on what state you are in doing their 'give me a title' dance to whatever their standards are. The Federal angle begins and ends at the port, once you have the vehicle itself that's on you and the state. Since your trucks are over 25 years old they are exempt from the other rules and regulations that states would impose on newer than 25 year kei trucks so out goes the 'mini truck' laws that vary by state. Especially since you imported them as real-deal motor vehicles and not weird industrial equipment like the newer kei trucks that get imported for yard work.

Anyway my Hijet is safe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Anyway my Hijet is safe.

I'm told you can put an NA Miata through a set of French doors if you take the mirrors off first. That should give people who haven't seen these vans in person a reasonable scale.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ya that's the crowd I was thinking, also same width, bigger bed. Better bed load rating(650-750 lbs) and usually better tongje weight rating (~1200 lbs). Just have to figure out how to get into that crowds channels to sell.

Word of mouth with farmers. You could also try working with some big equipment dealers that don't carry a similar product (CNHi, MF, CLAAS, etc). The deere guys buy theirs because they go in to the deere dealership and hey that thing is useful.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Isn't this chicken tax thing for manufacturers and has nothing to do with private individuals? I've never even seen anything relating to the chicken tax unless I was reading about the hilarious steps Ford would take to bring over Transits or why the Subaru Brat had jump seats.

From absolutely everything I've ever seen there is zero federal anything to do with vehicles over 25 years old besides having the importation done properly. Then depending on what state you are in doing their 'give me a title' dance to whatever their standards are. The Federal angle begins and ends at the port, once you have the vehicle itself that's on you and the state. Since your trucks are over 25 years old they are exempt from the other rules and regulations that states would impose on newer than 25 year kei trucks so out goes the 'mini truck' laws that vary by state. Especially since you imported them as real-deal motor vehicles and not weird industrial equipment like the newer kei trucks that get imported for yard work.

Anyway my Hijet is safe.

Glad the hijet is safe. I talked to Yoshi, he said it is very rare that a border patrol agent will classify the kei truck as a truck (subject to 25%) but it could still be possible (his words 98/100 they wont). Will just have to see how it turns out, I know that if we do get hit with the 25% it will make selling these kei trucks not worth the time as the margins will be microscopic.

Kaker, I looked a '93 (March build month) Supercharged Sambar with 4wd and a crystalline roof, would have brought it over for sale but the interior was a train wreck and that corrosion word showed up on the translation but not on the damage diagram. RIP

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Glad the hijet is safe. I talked to Yoshi, he said it is very rare that a border patrol agent will classify the kei truck as a truck (subject to 25%) but it could still be possible (his words 98/100 they wont). Will just have to see how it turns out, I know that if we do get hit with the 25% it will make selling these kei trucks not worth the time as the margins will be microscopic.

Kaker, I looked a '93 (March build month) Supercharged Sambar with 4wd and a crystalline roof, would have brought it over for sale but the interior was a train wreck and that corrosion word showed up on the translation but not on the damage diagram. RIP

Huh, weird about the truck tax thing. You'll probably be fine.
And yeah what's up with the Japanese cars all seemingly having beat to poo poo interiors sometimes? In specific ways too, like the butt bolster on the seats is always crushed and worn away down to the foam. I've never seen that on any US car, even imports, even if the car has 200k miles on it.

Since I am on a buying freeze because I have no room look at these two beauties up for auction that someone who isn't me should buy:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-4YhnUfa6E0OSTz.htm
1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Turbo Diesel. 5 speed manual, AC, 3.5 overall condition and interior grade B. This thing is rad as gently caress, it's gold, has cool rear end graphics and rocking interior. The Prado shares platform with the 4Runner and Lexus GX SUVS (although not within this generation, but in general with the GX). It seems to me that Prados are the least appreciated Landcruisers even by the typical re-sellers but I'd have to assume this one is going to go for the higher end of what a Prado typically goes for.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-3gVfiPzIhH08wmQ.htm
1980 Subaru Sambar kei truck, 4WD with 4 speed manual. 3 overall condition, interior grade C. I wonder where these things have been this whole time but I appreciate when they come up. I have no idea what this would sell for but I can't imagine much. Just look at it!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I keep forgetting they did a kei version of the Pajero. :3:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Is it just me or does that Subaru look way newer than a 1980, I mean if you told me it was a 99 from the outside I would believe you

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
What's the gross weight on these trucks? I can't imagine it being much more than a few hundred kilos, since even with 64 hp they would probably struggle to haul much.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Left Ventricle posted:

What's the gross weight on these trucks? I can't imagine it being much more than a few hundred kilos, since even with 64 hp they would probably struggle to haul much.

My Acty's sticker says 200kg, but I imagine that's because the 'Street' is the passenger-oriented version that's more comfortable, more sound dampening and all that jazz.

The Hijet, despite being less powerful and older says 350kg. It just weighs less and maybe the gearing?

Every kei truck I've ever seen has said '350kg' on the rear end, but that doesn't mean people don't load the things down to the bump-stops and drag all sorts of poo poo around. They aren't powerful but they are quite torquey and do not weigh much themselves. My Acty has a 8500 redline but all the power is between 4-5k. to give you and idea of where they put the gearing. Not sure where the Hijet is at with that because it doesn't have an RPM gauge :v:
Plus, the rear wheels are driven.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I suspect it's a legislative requirement to get the kei class plates. Or Japanese standards calculate allowance for passengers differently.

The official imports we got were plated at 500+kg.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

Also peep this :fap:

A 1981 Toyota Lite Ace coming up for auction soon, picture is ridiculous and tiny

This Lite Ace I bid on, I was outbid by $200 bucks. It's still in Japan, but on sale at a dealer lot.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/on-K9QrGbWgxOIky.htm

They have it listed for (the equivalent of) $11k, they bought it for $3700. Those motherfuckers :argh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-4YhnUfa6E0OSTz.htm
1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Turbo Diesel. 5 speed manual, AC, 3.5 overall condition and interior grade B. This thing is rad as gently caress, it's gold, has cool rear end graphics and rocking interior. The Prado shares platform with the 4Runner and Lexus GX SUVS (although not within this generation, but in general with the GX). It seems to me that Prados are the least appreciated Landcruisers even by the typical re-sellers but I'd have to assume this one is going to go for the higher end of what a Prado typically goes for.

This one sold for $3,940. Nice.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't seem to link the pictures but can someone put a diahatsu naked in a flat rate box for me tia.

Also I found an Isuzu branded Hillman minx.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/on-K9QsNzbFTCP8w.htm

:fap:

1987 Suzuki Alto Works RS/R, twin-cam, turbo charged, inter-cooled all wheel drive. I know I've posted some of these before but this is the best one (imho) to get as it's the AWD version. It's on a lot so the price is $6207.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is amazing.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

it's a mate's car. We had some fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Does anyone have a recommendation for a customs broker? Likely trying to move a over-25 year car from Livorno to Detroit if possible but Northeast if not.

Figured this might be a good place to ask.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a customs broker? Likely trying to move a over-25 year car from Livorno to Detroit if possible but Northeast if not.

Per Japan Car Direct's recommendation we used GWL World logistics, a guy by the name of Henry, henry@great-world.com. Process was painless and direct with no extra bits or anything, totally professional and tells you exactly when and what to do when it needs to be done. Going to use him again with my other two vehicles because I can't be arsed to try to tackle the import poo poo on my own.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

https://wittymelon.wordpress.com/portfolio/diy-how-to-import-a-jdm-kei-class-mini-truck-into-the-u-s/

Substitute car for truck, the process is same as long as you are under the 2,500$ informal import.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
How bad of an idea is importing an old Toyota Century? Please tell me it's a terrible idea because I have been looking at pictures the last two weeks and it has completely colonized my brain. I'll never pass California emissions, right?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

TadBradley posted:

How bad of an idea is importing an old Toyota Century? Please tell me it's a terrible idea because I have been looking at pictures the last two weeks and it has completely colonized my brain. I'll never pass California emissions, right?

Depends on how well tuned your 1UZ swap is

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can always call my old man. He's been a broker for 30 years and has legally cleared almost all manner of things. His info is in the OP.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TadBradley posted:

Which version? First gen was a V8, 2nd and 3rd were 5l V12s... I doubt any will pass smog but they're loving sweeeeeeet.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

TadBradley posted:

No, you won't. People living in California don't get to do this stuff legally unless they're rich.

It doesn't matter if you sniff right at the tailpipe, the car needs to be certified in the FTP drive cycle by a testing lab.

You could swap in a USDM engine of some kind and go to the referee, keep in mind it needs to be a direct swap: same pre-cat exhaust headers, same fuel system (whether it has a return, EVAP etc) as the donor vehicle, anything that can be said to be involved in emissions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

https://wittymelon.wordpress.com/portfolio/diy-how-to-import-a-jdm-kei-class-mini-truck-into-the-u-s/

Substitute car for truck, the process is same as long as you are under the 2,500$ informal import.

Yeah that ain't gonna work.

Thanks for the recs gents, much appreciated.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
My wife has her eye on a 2-door turbo diesel Pajero. These guys up in Christiansburg, VA have some nice looking ones.

http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Mitsubishi/1989-Mitsubishi-Pajero-8b37886f0a0e08f724ef03cd19740e54.htm

How do these prices line up with auctions and handling the import process through a broker/yourself?

Thoughts, recommendations?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

My wife has her eye on a 2-door turbo diesel Pajero. These guys up in Christiansburg, VA have some nice looking ones.

http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Mitsubishi/1989-Mitsubishi-Pajero-8b37886f0a0e08f724ef03cd19740e54.htm

How do these prices line up with auctions and handling the import process through a broker/yourself?

Thoughts, recommendations?

If a two-door, manual transmission turbo diesel w/ 4x4 Pajero is what she's after then you don't have many options normally. Over the last three months three 3.5 rated diesel Pajeros have sold at auction with prices that I can see.

Sold at $1,750
https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-2QdXyIddLDZRgvK.htm

Sold at $1,490
https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-31VdHIrGaIk1JH9.htm

Sold at $1,520
https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-w7gVZLRqEeKWO.htm

For these ones at auction the quality should be similar to the one at Duncan's Imports. Prices are right around at $1500 which is pretty nice. Include a minimum of $2000 to get it to your house (depending on where you are, assuming south of VA based on them being 'up'. The main difference though is the inter-cooler option. The VA one is inter-cooled, only the last one I've shown at auction is inter-cooled. I don't know if that's important to you (I'd want it inter-cooled too for more reasons than just a sweet functional scoop). The other two are turbo but not inter-cooled.

Outside of auctions there are a few on dealer lots in Japan. Depending on how they feel about it normally you can get a broker (in my case the 83 Acty I bought and have on the way was from a lot) to work with them to sell it to you 'wholesale' which sidesteps the normal fees the dealer would add to the price for registration and things within Japan itself. Not all dealers want to so it's up in the air if any of these are available to a US buyer. Prices are always higher when on lots but the upside is that you can normally expect that they will pass the Japanese shaken (with exceptions of course) meaning they should be in excellent shape.

$6,875, non inter-cooled. Looks in excellent shape.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/on-K9PYTKpUBwy8U.htm

$3,553, non inter-cooled, has a torn driver's seat though

If you were cool with a 4-door one there are more options and the prices tend to be lower, probably due to how many more of them there are. Taking everything else into account I don't think the one at Duncan's is a bad buy at all IF your wife wants a Mitsubishi Pajero intercooled turbo diesel 5 speed manual, two door, 4x4. It's one of those things where if she really wants one of those then you kind of have to decide if you want to pay what people are asking because you don't have many outlets. If she wants a small SUV there are more options outside of Pajeros (like the turbo diesel Rugger I snagged at auction). If she's willing to wait then you can reasonably expect to snag one at auction for fairly cheap as shown. The other thing is if the one in VA already has a VA title. Title transfers are easier than getting a title on a vehicle in the first place.

IN CLOSING the one in VA is a good buy if that's what she wants. I'd ask them about if it comes with a VA title and if all the options on the Pajero work. When I was talking with them a year ago about buying one of their Jimnys (which are overpriced imho and stored outside [!]) they had to test if the A/C worked because they weren't sure. I'd ask them about the tires and maybe the timing belt as well, since those are things that (in my experience with US-based import dealers) get overlooked or ignored normally.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 24, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why not look for a euro one? It'll have the steering wheel on the left, even.

And you could get the later body style within the 25 year rule, too.

The UK probably isn't as good an option as Japan for a RHD one, but they are available here in flavours from slightly sheddy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-SHOGUN-MK-1-SWB-F-REG-IN-BLUE-/322761172877
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-pajero-/172881311103?hash=item284087757
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-Pajero-/272853706343

To the very nice:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Field-Gear-2-5-TD-3dr-Shogun-SWB-/162493547017

Or wait another five years and do this poo poo properly:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-R-Reg-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Evolution-3-5-V6-Shogun-Evo-Dakar-Homologation-/311963078532

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

Why not look for a euro one? It'll have the steering wheel on the left, even.

And you could get the later body style within the 25 year rule, too.

The UK probably isn't as good an option as Japan for a RHD one, but they are available here in flavours from slightly sheddy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-SHOGUN-MK-1-SWB-F-REG-IN-BLUE-/322761172877
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-pajero-/172881311103?hash=item284087757
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-Pajero-/272853706343

To the very nice:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Field-Gear-2-5-TD-3dr-Shogun-SWB-/162493547017

Or wait another five years and do this poo poo properly:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-R-Reg-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Evolution-3-5-V6-Shogun-Evo-Dakar-Homologation-/311963078532

That very nice UK one is indeed, very nice.

I think I saw this in 80s Future Action Movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wow.

What would something like this one have run after import and shipping costs?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Wow.

What would something like this one have run after import and shipping costs?

rule of thumb is 2500 - 3000 to get it stateside

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rule of thumb is 2500 - 3000 to get it stateside

Holy cow this almost seems like it’s too good to be true.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

It isn't, that's why Lord and I keep buying stuff. The real hard part is getting over the 'woah so hard to buy something in another country' bit, the being without your money for a month or more without the thing you bought, and finding a thing to buy in the first place.

Let's look at the Diahatsu Rugger I bought, similar to a Pajero in size. Also happens to be a two door turbo diesel with a 5 speed manual transmission and 4 wheel drive and a 4 rating at auction compact SUV.

I paid $2,241 at auction for it but with Japan Car Direct fees, export fees + taxes, ocean transport + insurance, inland transport (lots of times the vehicle isn't where the port is within Japan) and the initial inspection cost it ends up at $4,717 for it to be at Jacksonville port, USA. A difference of $2,476 on top of the initial $2,241 price for the Rugger itself. Not bad at all considering the boat has to go from Japan, over the Pacific, through the Panama Canal and across the Gulf and into the Atlantic to get there. The Rugger is a 'full' car as well, a kei car would be a little less to transport.

To compare the ocean freight costs to the Acty that is coming on the exact same ship

The Acty costs $795 for ocean transport, compared to $1,116 for the Rugger. Size matters.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

It's not, the hardest part for personal cars is finding a good example of what you want. I have been looking for a really clean 2 seater 300zx TT for four months and they just don't come up often or are in poo poo condition.

For cars to resell it's finding a good example and then lots of trial and error to not overpay but still win the bid, cause u can eat all your profit in a car by overbidding pretty easy.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
ARe y’all flipping or keeping or what? I mean for $3500-5k I do t see why I don’t need a diesel 4x4 in my life. But also I’m in TN any experience getting them from port to final destination? Also I would really love to find a niche flipping some and making a little bit of $

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

ARe y’all flipping or keeping or what? I mean for $3500-5k I do t see why I don’t need a diesel 4x4 in my life. But also I’m in TN any experience getting them from port to final destination? Also I would really love to find a niche flipping some and making a little bit of $

I am doing both, started looking for a personal car. Got a couple of other people interested we all went in on two kei trucks to see if we can't flip and make some profit on. I live 1 HR from Tacoma the cheapest and one of the largest ports in the country so no advice on Port to door.

If anyone does decide they want cheap shipping/road trip my garage is open to AI if they decide to ship to the west coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

What about bad condition / non running cars? Say I was looking for a straight chassis to build a track toy (89-91 civic for example). Any deals there? How much worse is it to import a car that isn't drive on / drive off? Ohio is a wasteland of overpriced rust buckets or mad tyte jdm brah just needs a distributor 250k miles garbage.

Not for resale fixer uppers worth the effort?