Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't hate Too Human but it was obviously designed for four player co-op but they couldn't get it working and had to drop it down to two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is there a good, thorough LP of Eternal Darkness anywhere? I'd check to LP archive but I'm at work at the moment and the only one I remember was a kind of lighthearted, "let's all just have fun" kinda thread. (I *think* I drew fan art of a mad Maximilllian running around with his pants off for that too.)

I'd love to see a real in depth one that shows off the various paths and gods and everything though.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I would love to play eternal darkness and I might just emulate it to get it done with so tell me goons, it's never coming out for the switch is it. Dash my hopes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm pretty sure Too Human did well all things considered. What killed Silicon Knights was that X-Men game where you don't play as any of the iconic x-men. I can't imagine the licensing fees in a post Disney buyout.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Drunken Baker posted:

Is there a good, thorough LP of Eternal Darkness anywhere? I'd check to LP archive but I'm at work at the moment and the only one I remember was a kind of lighthearted, "let's all just have fun" kinda thread. (I *think* I drew fan art of a mad Maximilllian running around with his pants off for that too.)

I'd love to see a real in depth one that shows off the various paths and gods and everything though.

The one on lparchive seems ok, but it doesn't do all the gods, just the one that induces insanity. It's subtitle based and the subtitles don't seem too wacky or anything.

al-azad posted:

I'm pretty sure Too Human did well all things considered. What killed Silicon Knights was that X-Men game where you don't play as any of the iconic x-men. I can't imagine the licensing fees in a post Disney buyout.

That one also used the Unreal engine and as a result all the extant copies were destroyed and it was taken off the Xbox live store. It'd take a legal miracle to even get it to the point that Fox and Disney were able to argue about who has the rights to what.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are some other good cthulhu-style games that manage to be good the whole way through and not just be good for a memorable portion or two and then dive off the deep end into being a lovely FPS against annoying enemies

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bloodborne is obviously super Lovecraft inspired but it's also an action game where the most dangerous thing is you so

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meallan posted:

I would love to play eternal darkness and I might just emulate it to get it done with so tell me goons, it's never coming out for the switch is it. Dash my hopes.

It emulates fantastically, if that helps your decision at all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Bloodborne is obviously super Lovecraft inspired but it's also an action game where the most dangerous thing is you so

I think it works pretty well. Something can be action oriented and still horror or at least horror-esque and I'd say Bloodborne achieves that. Hell, most of the Souls style of games do that, just Bloodborne is the one that seems to be going specific for Lovecraft style of horror. I don't think any others did that except possibly Demon's Souls a little bit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I didn't think Bloodborne was as Lovecraft inspired as it was from say, Gothic fiction like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Dracula.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I was just trying to careful not to start an argument about wether horror-themed action games are horror games or not :v:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the spooky cathedral with all the squid guys scared me

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just started Alien: Isolation, and I'm in the medical wing in the first real "hide-and-sneak from the xenomorph" sequence (maybe it's random I don't know) and... I'm not really finding the game "scary". I know that's subjective, but the xenomorph is such a popular pop culture entity and it's so fully visible roaming around in the game that I don't really feel intimidated by it. It's more like a giant obstacle. It looks neat, I appreciate the effort that went into modeling and animating it, but it doesn't scare me. Maybe I need to turn all the lights off with those panels so it's harder to see the alien, maybe that'll make it spooky.

I do appreciate that there aren't really jump scares. I mean they're there, the alien will pop out of vents and instakill you but they really toned down the audio so it's not really heart attack inducing. Also the kills aren't all FNAF with an ear-splitting noise, the alien just grabs you and then fade to black.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Alien was less scary and just plain annoying to me

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The first movie was scary because we the audience didn't know what the gently caress the crew were up against (well, if you saw it for the first time and went in completely ignorant of all Alien media since then), and also because the audience didn't need to rewatch 20 minutes of the movie because Ripley died too early.

I'll reserve judgement on the game, I'm only 1/5th of the way through, but I don't know that it's fully clicking right now. From what I'm seeing now, the game could've used some tightening up and major trimming of fat. It's so big and hollow and empty, your character walks agonizingly slow unless you sprint, every objective is just "go to [location], okay great you're here now go to [where you just were]".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some other good cthulhu-style games that manage to be good the whole way through and not just be good for a memorable portion or two and then dive off the deep end into being a lovely FPS against annoying enemies

From a literary standpoint the best Lovecraftian game is Anchorhead, a text adventure self-published almost 20 years ago. You're investigating a mysterious New England town full of weirdos who may be tied to a cult to call a great old one. It's structured like Gabriel Knight where days pass as you complete puzzles leading to the final day where it's a race against time to stop the ritual. Being 20 years old it's difficult and a little obtuse but my rule of thumb with adventure games is enjoy the atmosphere (which is thick and well written) and keep a guide close by.

I also enjoyed Eldritch, one of those roguelites and a first person game. There's a focus on stealth and killing enemies spawns a new one somewhere else on the floor making combat a last resort option. First dungeon is kind of "meh" but then you face progressively neater enemies like a statue that smacks you when you're not looking at it and a legit creepy mummy thing that instantly beelines to your position when you're on the same floor.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't think Bloodborne was as Lovecraft inspired as it was from say, Gothic fiction like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Dracula.

It gets pretty Lovecraft when space aliens and moon gods start popping up

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

al-azad posted:

The problem wasn't that you weren't playing as one of the existing X-Men. The X-Men universe completely supports adding a new character. The real problem was that the game was a complete garbage heap.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

Anyone play Wailing Heights? Best I can explain it is that it looks like punk rock Universal monsters hang out in a cabaret. It's on sale.
Is that a horror game? Because that sounds awesome but not scary. I'd watch that as a movie. Like Nightbreed, but cooler.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yahtzee is apparently just a gross person, but if you want to give him some money anyway, I liked The Consuming Shadow for cthulhu type horror.

I really wish I could get Bloodborne on the PC, it looks like a more accessible Dark Souls, and I love where it goes when it gets weird.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Skyscraper posted:

Is that a horror game? Because that sounds awesome but not scary. I'd watch that as a movie. Like Nightbreed, but cooler.
Yahtzee is apparently just a gross person, but if you want to give him some money anyway, I liked The Consuming Shadow for cthulhu type horror.

I really wish I could get Bloodborne on the PC, it looks like a more accessible Dark Souls, and I love where it goes when it gets weird.

Is Yahtzee a gross person? I thought he was mostly just guilty of still producing content for The Escapist.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It starts off as Gothic, yeah, and then by the end of the game you're dealing with madness and Old Ones and brain eyes that let you "understand" the world just a little better.

al-azad posted:

I also enjoyed Eldritch, one of those roguelites and a first person game. There's a focus on stealth and killing enemies spawns a new one somewhere else on the floor making combat a last resort option. First dungeon is kind of "meh" but then you face progressively neater enemies like a statue that smacks you when you're not looking at it and a legit creepy mummy thing that instantly beelines to your position when you're on the same floor.

Oh man, Eldritch. That game is so good and way scarier than it has any right to be given what it looks like. You wouldn't think something that looks like this

would end up being scary but then it just ramps up with the types of enemies and the sound design is just really good and I always ended up feeling on edge while wandering around, fearing running into the shoggoth or into one of those mummies you mentioned.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Glagha posted:

Is Yahtzee a gross person? I thought he was mostly just guilty of still producing content for The Escapist.
I stopped listening at his overwatch review where he said the female characters were for the "genderspecials" in the audience.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

the female characters were for the "genderspecials" in the audience.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
He also uses the term "sexhavers" unironically.

I had a dream the other night about making a Stardew Valley game but it was you trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic setting but the end of the world came about because of a "Lovecraftian" tear in space.

If I had even a modicum of the talent and patience the SV dude has I'd do it too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He admitted a long time ago that he had to come to terms with the fact he found sex in general to be icky and had no interest

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yeah, well you see, the women weren't all shaped like he'd expect women to be so...
I was surprised it didn't cause more of a shitstorm, it made me quit him. I didn't think to ask for a refund on Consuming Shadow, I don't think refund boycotts are a thing.

Drunken Baker posted:

He also uses the term "sexhavers" unironically.

I had a dream the other night about making a Stardew Valley game but it was you trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic setting but the end of the world came about because of a "Lovecraftian" tear in space.

If I had even a modicum of the talent and patience the SV dude has I'd do it too.
Have you read The Shallows by John Langan?

EDIT:

DeathChicken posted:

He admitted a long time ago that he had to come to terms with the fact he found sex in general to be icky and had no interest
Well poo poo, there's nothing more Lovecraftian than that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Skyscraper posted:

EDIT:
Well poo poo, there's nothing more Lovecraftian than that.

yeah and it's recorded for posterity in here (spoilers for the last chzo mythos game) https://lparchive.org/The-Chzo-Mythos/Update%2033/

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah and it's recorded for posterity in here (spoilers for the last chzo mythos game) https://lparchive.org/The-Chzo-Mythos/Update%2033/

Ha, that is total Lovecraft.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Skyscraper posted:

Have you read The Shallows by John Langan?

I've read The Fisherman and was a huge fan of most of it. Just looked up the Shallows and it's a shame the book it's in is 25 quid. I might get the kindle version, but I hate reading on me phone. Just found another collection its featured in for 8 quid. Bought.

Sounds great!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DeathChicken posted:

It was even a plot point in one of his games

At this point in "gaming culture" Yahtzee's issues are almost quaint, and he tends to call himself out a lot. I'd take him over most edgelord streamers any day.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

It gets pretty Lovecraft when space aliens and moon gods start popping up

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It was even a plot point in one of his games

At this point in "gaming culture" Yahtzee's issues are almost quaint, and he tends to call himself out a lot. I'd take him over most edgelord streamers any day.

Yeah, I don't think Yahtzee is a bad person, he's just really weird about a lot of things and admits as much.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Oh, hey, that's out on Audible now apparently. I'd better pick that up.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

exquisite tea posted:

How far did you get into it? The first half is much more classic horror and the second half gets very lovecrafty, not coincidentally the first half of the game is much better

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I never finished BB, I think I stopped somewhere around the tree boss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tree boss? Uh, are you sure you're not getting confused with DS3...?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

A Jack Chick horror game would rule

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Tree boss? Uh, are you sure you're not getting confused with DS3...?

The dude made of corpses that looks like a tree.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

exquisite tea posted:

The dude made of corpses that looks like a tree.

where do you live where trees look like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I live in Hell, aka Donald Trump's America.