Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

There are very few situations where registry "clutter" causes any kind of issue and you're more likely than not deleting some program's config by running it. The registry is effectively a database and deleting things from it doesn't do much because poke it full of holes and fragment it. I've seen exactly one instance in my life where the registry ballooned due to software misbehaving and hit some size limit XP imposed so I had to mount it offline with a defrag/compactor tool. Similar deal with the filesystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I know I might be laughed at as a big idiot, but Malwarebytes found the Trojan in the setup file for 5.33 which I hadn't deleted, but is now deleted. It had already been updated to 5.34 before this information came to light, and I use the 64 bit version. I'm considering uninstalling it after this, but is there anything else I have to do? I'm not very good with computers, so I thought maybe you all could give me advice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Potato Salad posted:

ClamAV; I am not familiar with it

I haven't heard that name in forever. I used to use it to scan my email back in 1999 or so.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yeah really CCleaner was good only to delete files securely (it would do N rounds of writing random bytes to the drive) in my case. Good to know the C&C servers have been cut off early. Also there's no indication of some advanced/persistent rootkit right? Nothing like hiding in the firmware of my motherboard or something, I should just reinstall Windows after a low-level format as a precaution?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
CCleaner is typically used by people as a "second chance" to fix things mucked up by malware. I usually groan when I see it show up on the corporate network and during one of our sweeps, we only found older copies--and had them removed and the machines remediated.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Furism posted:

Yeah really CCleaner was good only to delete files securely (it would do N rounds of writing random bytes to the drive) in my case.

Haha, oh my.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

duz posted:

Haha, oh my.

Educate.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furism posted:

Educate.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sdelete

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Furism posted:

Educate.

On mechanical spinny platters a single pass of randomized data is enough (or two, knock yourself out). Even Peter Gutman said as much after every one misinterpreted his first paper on the topic

quote:

“In the time since this paper was published, some people have treated the 35-pass overwrite technique described in it more as a kind of voodoo incantation to banish evil spirits than the result of a technical analysis of drive encoding techniques… In fact performing the full 35-pass overwrite is pointless for any drive since it targets a blend of scenarios involving all types of (normally-used) encoding technology, which covers everything back to 30+-year-old MFM methods (if you don’t understand that statement, re-read the paper). If you’re using a drive which uses encoding technology X, you only need to perform the passes specific to X, and you never need to perform all 35 passes. For any modern PRML/EPRML drive, a few passes of random scrubbing is the best you can do. As the paper says, “A good scrubbing with random data will do about as well as can be expected“. This was true in 1996, and is still true now. “

For SSDs it's more complicated. You can tell the SSD to write random data over a file, but it's almost never going to pick the same locations in the flash memory since every write on modern drives randomizes (more or less) data locations. So when it goes to write the "random info" in the place of the file you want deleted, that junk data will most likely not take out the data you're looking to scrub.

Of course, the real answer is to use drive or file-system encryption.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 20, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
That's what I thought. I understand data sanitization and how it works for magnetic drives, and that a low-level format is probably good enough nowadays given the density of the drives. I wanted to check whether or not CCleaner was known to be bad at that to the point it's useless and where the "ah ah oh my" comment was coming from.

NIST says to sanitize with 3 passes (strike that, now it's just one?). That's what I do, even if it's overkill, because you can't go wrong with NIST recommendations. EC, AES256 and SHA-3 are also overkill, arguably. I thought we always go for overkill when it comes to IT security. So I don't understand the jest.

Thanks for the link to sdelete, seems like a much smaller footprint than CCleaner so I'll use that from now on.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The sysinternals suite needs to be known by more people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

*busts door open, panting* ms tools..... minimum feature set..... *collapses to the floor*

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
For SSDs, just delete the file normally, then do defrag C: /O, assuming it's the C drive. It's not perfect, but the alternative is secure erasing the entire drive.

Or just encrypt the drive and don't worry about it.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Double Punctuation posted:

For SSDs, just delete the file normally, then do defrag C: /O, assuming it's the C drive. It's not perfect, but the alternative is secure erasing the entire drive.

Or just encrypt the drive and don't worry about it.
OS-level Trim may or may not actually get rid of data on the drive. SSD's are weird. Intel has an app that'll wipe data, and I'm guessing the other big manufacturers do too, but yeah if you're worried about someone recovering deleted data, encrypt your junk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just run fstrim or whatever the windows equivalent is IMO.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought the point of TRIM was that it didn't touch the data on the blocks, and just marked them as free, which is why it was good for wear and performance. I'm a little out of it today, though.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I thought the point of TRIM was that it didn't touch the data on the blocks, and just marked them as free, which is why it was good for wear and performance. I'm a little out of it today, though.

That happens when you delete the file. Running fstrim or defrag /O tells the drive's firmware that the system isn't expecting much disk activity, so it should erase the sectors soon. It is a performance thing, but there's no other generic way to do it other than erasing the entire drive.

In other news, it's the gift that keeps on giving:

Here's the fake site making fun of them, with a screencap of that tweet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

You're right. A TRIM call just schedules cells for wiping. Also, apparently wiping isn't the same as zeroing, which is why zeroing a SSD will do nothing to fix performance. So uhh. Write zeroes to disk until full, then delete?

That said, as Double Punctuation said, fstrim or similar commands will start wiping your empty space immediately, as far as I know.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

holy poo poo equifax needs to be destroyed

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

That happens when you delete the file. Running fstrim or defrag /O tells the drive's firmware that the system isn't expecting much disk activity, so it should erase the sectors soon. It is a performance thing, but there's no other generic way to do it other than erasing the entire drive.

In other news, it's the gift that keeps on giving:

Here's the fake site making fun of them, with a screencap of that tweet.

Is everyone at Equifax drunk or high nowadays? I mean, I understand , I feel for them, but holy poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volguus posted:

I understand , I feel for them

Don't.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

He means the entry-level guys that had nothing to do with the hack and are looking for another job before they're inevitably laid off.

And yes, they are all drunk or high. Nobody's going to give a poo poo what Equifax says about them when they're applying for another job.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Equifax laying off anyone related to security would be a really bad look.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Subjunctive posted:

A bunch of Equifax execs who should have known about a breach selling off a bunch of Equifax stock immediately after the breach was discovered internally would be a really bad look too, and yet here we are

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, but they didn't think people would find out about that. They know people will report the layoffs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

Methinks we are well past the "really bad look" stage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Max Peck posted:

A bunch of Equifax execs who should have known about a breach selling off a bunch of Equifax stock immediately after the breach was discovered internally would be a really bad look too, and yet here we are

But it was a total coincidence!!!!!!!!!!! They had no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Until bankruptcy or fire sale to a competitor, we'll be in that stage. The actual risk is irrelevant to their stock price and business. They didn't really lose customer data, after all. The perception of their future commitment to security is what drives those things.

Of course, those markets aren't rational. I used to work for a high-profile consumer software company, 20 years ago, and when security bugs in our product made the news it would inevitably drive the stock up a bit. :shrug:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
But, what could bankrupt them (other than the US government going medieval on their asses, which I don't think it will)? Is not like the millions of creditors around the world will stop sending them money and data and paying them and whatnot.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Subjunctive posted:

I mean firing your CISO and poo poo is the standard course of action. That's pretty much their role from what I understand -- to be hired in order to be fired.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Volguus posted:

But, what could bankrupt them (other than the US government going medieval on their asses, which I don't think it will)? Is not like the millions of creditors around the world will stop sending them money and data and paying them and whatnot.

There are three other companies that do the exact same thing, except they didn't just reveal they are completely incompetent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dougdrums posted:

I mean firing your CISO and poo poo is the standard course of action. That's pretty much their role from what I understand -- to be hired in order to be fired.

Sure, but that's different from laying off security line staff, which is what I was responding to.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

There are three other companies that do the exact same thing, except they didn't just reveal they are completely incompetent.

There are 3 more (which are probably just as incompetent) that's true, but will the creditors really care? Is not like I chose Equifax and Transunion and whoever else to hold my data in the first place. Unless I'll hear big banks yelling form the top of their lungs that Equifax is cancer and they won't do business with them anymore, it's safe to assume they'll be fine money-wise and can continue doing drugs and drinking on the job.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volguus posted:

There are 3 more (which are probably just as incompetent) that's true, but will the creditors really care? Is not like I chose Equifax and Transunion and whoever else to hold my data in the first place. Unless I'll hear big banks yelling form the top of their lungs that Equifax is cancer and they won't do business with them anymore, it's safe to assume they'll be fine money-wise and can continue doing drugs and drinking on the job.

i need to apply with Equifax.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you're really worried about securely deleting data on an SSD then you should forget about filesystem-level writes and invest in a self-encrypting disk instead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the country’s top markets regulator, said on Wednesday hackers may have illegally profited by trading using insider information stolen from its corporate disclosure database.

:tif:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:piss:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Hacked by their own executives?????

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

anthonypants posted:

Hacked by their own executives?????

If the SEC had stocks, I bet people higher up would have sold theirs before this disclosure.

Who's gonna go at them? The SEC? :homebrew: