Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
To help you maybe start playing around while waiting on someone who knows what they're talking about - I think that is something to do with the tree LOD resolution. Say, you're using 1k tree billboards, and set DynDoLod to make 2K billboards, you might get something like that. Numbers are only for example. Just saying I think you simply have to be careful to get them to match.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

it might just resonate with me because my first character concept in skyrim was basically "no cat what are you doing", a max-weight tiger dude sneaking around in full plate and heavy weapons

Khajiit has no need for weapons:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Khajiit has no need for weapons:

Merrunz Dagon scourging Mundus, oil on canvas, 3e 45

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone have opinions on how safe it is to introduce Burma into my ongoing game? According to the documentation on Nexus it shouldn't be uninstalled, so I'm wondering what the chances are that I'm going to totally bork my save. I'm playing special edition.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Make a save called "Before Bruma Save". Install Bruma. Do not overwrite your "Before Burma Shave" from now on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
With mod organizer you can also create a new profile, copy mod and saves over, and turn on the profile specific saves (a couple checkboxes) and then install Bruma on the new profile. It should keep the saves and mod settings segregated, so you shouldn't be able to delete you old clean save.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
There's a mod for Burma? Why would someone add an Asian country to Skyrim?

But yes, Bruma should be pretty safe to add mid-game, it only alters Skyrim's stuff a bit.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Do not overwrite your "Before Burma Shave" from now on.

I saw that. :golfclap:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Installing that complete alchemy and cooking overhaul will definitely break existing saves, right? Ive gotten lucky so far with adding new mods mid game but that one seems like a big change.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69306/

Kly fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 15, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

There's a mod for Burma? Why would someone add an Asian country to Skyrim?

:doh:

Yeah, I plan on keeping a backup save at the very least. However I'd rather not install the mod, play for several hours and then have to revert to a previous save and lose whatever progress I've made in the mean time. I'm really just curious about people's experiences with the mod and saves, especially if you played through it and then continued on the same save afterwards.

Sky Shadowing posted:

But yes, Bruma should be pretty safe to add mid-game, it only alters Skyrim's stuff a bit.

Good to know! Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of stuff it's altering?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Anyone familiar with Legendary Cities?
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/47989/

or Expanded Towns and Cities?
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13608/

Wanted to add a bit more life to the world but I'm not sure if there are any extra performance hits involved, or compatibility issues I should be aware of. I run a script-light set of mods so I wouldn't expect problems, but I'm not sure.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

kedo posted:

Good to know! Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of stuff it's altering?

Strictly I think it only adds some objects to the Skyrim worldspace, a border door and such, a few new NPCs.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

Strictly I think it only adds some objects to the Skyrim worldspace, a border door and such, a few new NPCs.

Thanks much!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Anyone familiar with Legendary Cities?
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/47989/

or Expanded Towns and Cities?
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13608/

Wanted to add a bit more life to the world but I'm not sure if there are any extra performance hits involved, or compatibility issues I should be aware of. I run a script-light set of mods so I wouldn't expect problems, but I'm not sure.

I don't know Legendary Cities at all but Expanded Towns and Cities is one I use regularly to flesh out all the little villages. It shouldn't have a major effect on performance and it has compatibility patches for just about everything. It's also got a few different install options so if you want to use it with another city overhaul you usually can.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dawn of Skyrim - Directors Cut is another option. It's script-free, and is even compatible with ETaC.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is it possible to add Ordinator or SPERG SE in the middle of a playthrough? To do it safely would I need to remove all my perks first?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
In terms of cities/towns mods on classic, I usually run with JK's lite + it's version of Dawn of Skyrim for major cities and ETaC for smaller ones.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it possible to add Ordinator or SPERG SE in the middle of a playthrough? To do it safely would I need to remove all my perks first?

SPERG on Oldrim should technically update your existing character, assuming your perks are vanilla. Dunno about Ordinator, or either on Special Edition.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kiggles posted:

SPERG on Oldrim should technically update your existing character, assuming your perks are vanilla. Dunno about Ordinator, or either on Special Edition.

Turns out Ordinator refunds your perk points when you install it so it was so issue to install mid play. I was using vanilla perks.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

SPERG looks cool and i see it has compatibility patch for immersive armors but maybe not the most up to date version. Also nothing for immersive weapons. What kind of issues should i expect from new item mods and sperg?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Patches for SPERG and armors are primarily with respect to tempering bonuses unique to SPERG (meaning no worse than vanilla), and applying things like matching set bonuses at 3 piece instead of 4. Generally speaking - compatibility patches will be to address minor annoyances or inconsistencies. Usually nothing even as egregious as vanilla bugs. This is because SPERG generally keeps vanilla perks intact, so anything looking for a specific perk, or looking for a perk to behave a certain way, usually finds it. So compatibility patches generally aren't needed, and where they technically are, eh. It's generally not a big deal.

Ordinator by comparison does heavily modify vanilla perks, or completely replaces them. So, say for example a mod depends on rank 4 of Armsman for a certain feature to work - you can't actually activate that tier, and if you could, it would have to be modified from its vanilla value to work in the context of Ordinator. It's rarely if ever an issue, but because changes are so extensive, you're liable to need more compatibility patches compared to SPERG.

Worst case you have a mod that "needs" to change a single perk in a single tree. In these cases, you have to pick - either have a feature of the mod break, or allow it to completely replace one of the skill trees. In these cases you can usually find Ordinator patches, and get both. SPERG having sort of languished may be missing a compatibility option. Again, not usually as dire as it sounds, since anything that really REALLY needs unique perks to function is probably more extensive than a single perk, and is probably overhaul the entire tree anyway, in which case it would probably be an either/or situation whether you're dealing with either Ordinator OR SPERG.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I think I want to boot up Skyrim again soon. I've typically done a hardcore Requiem+Hunterborn+Frostfall setup, but that's usually very slow going, and I'd rather get to actually experience some of the game's content. Trouble is, from my first vanilla playthrough, I seem to remember Skyrim being filled of nothing but dungeons of Draugr. Are there any mods that add some variety to dungeons and their encounters?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Well, the ancient Nord ruins are filled with Draugr, but there is other stuff going on in caves, for example. Although thinking about it, from memory this adds "bandits" and "Falmer" to the list, lol.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skyrim Underground adds a nation-spanning underground tunnel network full of new enemies. It's not for low-level characters, though.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Two SKSE64 updates. Still alpha. 2.0.1 fixed cosave bug. 2.0.2 fixes scaleform ShowOnMap (I'm guessing features for UI on map?)

Looks like this thing is going to happen sooner than later.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Two SKSE64 updates. Still alpha. 2.0.1 fixed cosave bug. 2.0.2 fixes scaleform ShowOnMap (I'm guessing features for UI on map?)

Looks like this thing is going to happen sooner than later.

Man, between this and the rumored fix to the Windows 10 4GB bug coming with the next major Windows update, things are about to get really interesting.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

horse mans posted:

I think I want to boot up Skyrim again soon. I've typically done a hardcore Requiem+Hunterborn+Frostfall setup, but that's usually very slow going, and I'd rather get to actually experience some of the game's content. Trouble is, from my first vanilla playthrough, I seem to remember Skyrim being filled of nothing but dungeons of Draugr. Are there any mods that add some variety to dungeons and their encounters?

Not so much dungeons as new quest environments, but I hear very good things about the Vigilant quest expansion. I believe the developer is working on another quest, Glenmoril which is similarly Draugr distinct

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

wormil posted:

So it's the followers using up memory.

Your freezing issues are entirely on another level, but I wanted to touch on this point because you're absolutely correct that followers hit your resources (vram, etc) harder than you might think. If you ever see someone who's carefully posed 3497 followers from individual follower mods into a screenshot, the game probably crashed 300 times in the process. Also, you should probably block them.

Unlike the PC and all vanilla NPCs, which share a single set of body meshes and textures (whether the default the game comes with or a replacer you installed), which is nice and memory efficient, followers are usually standalone. Which means while they may use the same body mesh or texture set you already use, they don't share it. They're targeting their own, standalone version. Which means you're now loading twice the meshes/texture sets whenever you're in the same cell, and this is compounded by a lot of people thinking 8.8.8 uncompressed is the only format to save their 8K skin textures in.

there are a bunch of things you could do to reduce this load, from the easy to the absurd but since it only matters when you're in the same cell as a follower and they all have their own consequences, ehhhhhhhhhh just don't install 437 followers at once :shrug:

although again, your problems point to another root cause and not followers so this is sort of a tangential post at best!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Psion posted:

although again, your problems point to another root cause and not followers so this is sort of a tangential post at best!

Yeah I never did sort out the problem, although I did manage to get memory, gpu, and cpu usage down to a sane level. It still happens at random. Sometimes no problems, sometimes CTD, or freezes, or crashes to the main menu. It might happen after 5 minutes or after 2 hours or not at all. Indoors, outdoors. Happens with or without followers. It's about as random as you can imagine. At some point I will wipe and reinstall.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Man using the lastest SKSE64 alpha and extracting the Skyui 5.1 BSA and updating the ESP almost gets me a fully working skyui... except any time I open the main menu it crashes which makes it kinda pointless.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Man using the lastest SKSE64 alpha and extracting the Skyui 5.1 BSA and updating the ESP almost gets me a fully working skyui... except any time I open the main menu it crashes which makes it kinda pointless.

"There's a mod for that"
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12175/

At least, I think this will fix your problem. I think the Display menu or something else in there will still cause a crash, but you should be fine to avoid it well enough.

EDIT: but seriously, it's in alpha. Just deal without it for a little while longer.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

skywind has gone so far up its own rear end its starting to emerge from its mouth

https://www.reddit.com/r/skywind/comments/70utyj/skywind_needs_experienced_testers_volunteer_for/

quote:

Hello Men and Mer,

We are looking for QA testers to work on the Skywind project.
Please apply if you are interested; in your application, please note your experience in each of the following areas:

6+ months of QA experience in a formal software/games based QA environment
Knowledge using Papyrus (preferred not essential)
Experience using console commands
Knowledge level of the original Morrowind Game (preferred, not essential)
Must have Skyrim installed
Must be able to commit 2-4 hours every week

Please be honest with your answers, particularly about availability, we just want to know how you will fit into the team.

Go here and fill out the volunteer form: https://tesrenewal.com/forums/recruitment/read-first-how-to-apply-to-join-skywind-team

Thank you,

The Skywind Team

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just wanted Morrowind in Skyrim, and they've gone so insanely far past that into "our vision!" weirdness that I just can't care anymore.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

it's a loving mod for a video game why do you need professional qa experience

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Simsmagic posted:

it's a loving mod for a video game why do you need professional qa experience

They want to bring something to the table that Bethesda has never attempted HEYOO!

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: :drat:

Well you see modders are just as important and professional as game devs and

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 20, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

They want to bring something to the table that Bethesda has never attempted HEYOO!

:master:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

quote:

Must have Skyrim installed

drat. I was really looking forward to QA testing Skywind, but if it means I need to install Skyrim I guess that means I can't.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This poo poo is dead and never coming out lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

docbeard posted:

Man, between this and the rumored fix to the Windows 10 4GB bug coming with the next major Windows update, things are about to get really interesting.

I've never fully understood the 4GB thing. It just means better textures and shaders for vanilla, right? Can't SE already use 8GB+ of VRAM?