Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is that a legit holo just a reflex dot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

DJExile posted:

I don't see why not. Seems like it'd fit any standard hotshoe

Neat. I was worried it would be "smart" and try to communicate with the camera or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

it's... just a basic red dot. maybe i'm missing what specifically a holo sight is.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Enos Cabell posted:

This is probably better suited for the astrophotography thread, but I couldn't find it. I had a lot of fun shooting the eclipse, and got some pretty good photos with a cheap Nikon 55-300 telephoto on my D7k. I'd like to get a nicer 400 or 500mm lens, and since I'm not shooting wildlife or sports I don't need anything very fast. Any good deals out there for a sharp but slow telephoto?

Astrophotography is probably the most demanding workout you can give a lens. It needs to be sharp, absolutely no coma or field curvature, and the faster the better.

I'd look at the Nikkor 300 and 400mm f/4.5 EDIFs, or maybe the Pentax 645 and 67 EDIFs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Astrophotography is a rabbit hole. The amount of sperging that goes into it is incredible. Like, they even have charts for what maximum focal length is useful for a given sensor pixel density.

I've decided to not point my camera at a celestial object again without a telescope because the money required to pull it off with a photography lens would require a mortgage.

(and don't forget the tracking mount)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DJExile posted:

it's... just a basic red dot. maybe i'm missing what specifically a holo sight is.

That's what they are.. just never seen one for a camera before.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

The square optics mostly. You can also magnify a holo without the reticle magnifying, but that's not useful outside of firearm-oriented sights.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tater_salad posted:

They allow for 300mm street photos!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

tater_salad posted:

Cameras have had auxiliary direct optical viewfinders for over a hundred years.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

How well does the red dot sight work for just setting to center AF point and blasting away with telephoto lens?

And the question I came into the thread to ask:
It's time to move on from my MacBook Air. I've enjoyed owning a Mac but will be going back to Windows for work. I'm faced with a slew of hardware options now. Is there anything like a consensus pick for an SSD-equipped laptop with a good display for photo editing (wide color gamut especially) under $1,500?

I see the Lenovo Thinkpad w540 with the 3K screen option is supposed to be good. It has a drat x-rite color checker built into it, which kinda of gets the message across. But what about something lighter? I'm not looking for a workstation replacement, just something portable with a good screen.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

xzzy posted:

Astrophotography is a rabbit hole. The amount of sperging that goes into it is incredible. Like, they even have charts for what maximum focal length is useful for a given sensor pixel density.

I've decided to not point my camera at a celestial object again without a telescope because the money required to pull it off with a photography lens would require a mortgage.

(and don't forget the tracking mount)

Well, why wouldn't you have a precisely calculated cheat sheet to minmax the detail resolved by your lens/sensor combination?

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

DJExile posted:

oh no

what have I done

Can you please let me know if this would help framing the sky at night? I'm not talking about pinpointing exact stats, but rather not having to rely on a dark viewfinder or LCD to try and get the camera pointing in the right direction.

I've always thought someuing like a laser pointer would do the trick, but this looks like it could as well, even though it seems to be marketed towards action shots.

Cheers!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Shrinking Universe posted:

Can you please let me know if this would help framing the sky at night? I'm not talking about pinpointing exact stats, but rather not having to rely on a dark viewfinder or LCD to try and get the camera pointing in the right direction.

I've always thought someuing like a laser pointer would do the trick, but this looks like it could as well, even though it seems to be marketed towards action shots.

Cheers!

As the owner of two fine fuji cameras which come from the factory with optical direct viewfinders included (unlike those cheap bastards at oly) I can tell you that it will not help a bunch, if it's really dark out it's also gonna be really dark in the VF with like a dot in the center.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrinking Universe posted:

Cheers!

I mean... I guess it could? But like 8th said all you're gonna see is a bright rear end red crosshair against a dark sky. For $100 I don't know if that'd be worth it that much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only real options for seeing anything at night are to eliminate everything that glows so your eyes completely adjust, or use live view.

You can also do test shots and adjust based on what the camera records, but this is basically the same approach as live view.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

DJExile posted:

I mean... I guess it could? But like 8th said all you're gonna see is a bright rear end red crosshair against a dark sky. For $100 I don't know if that'd be worth it that much.

Yeah, you're right. I thought about it more and I figure it'd be good to see where the centre of your shot will be but because it doesn't account for focal length it's useless otherwise.

Thanks for the answers!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really know where else to ask this but I have a KIEV-60 where the screws holding the rear door hinge to the camera have completely stripped their threads. The camera had one screw in when I bought it and was being held closed with gaff tape which is a decent stop-gap but I'd like to just replace the screws or otherwise affix the door to the camera.

Part of me wants to do it right and tap the body with new tiny rear end threads and get matching screws, but then I'm worried that the body material seems to be pretty weak to begin with and that just using epoxy to bond the door hinge to the body is a better all-around solution.

Anyone have any experience fixing this type of problem? Where would I even get a tiny rear end thread cutter and matching screws?

I don't want to send this off to get repaired because it weighs a ton and unless someone knows a decent place in/near Toronto that can repair this kind of thing then a dollar store tube of epoxy looks to be in my future.

.... thoughts?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

I don't really know where else to ask this but I have a KIEV-60 where the screws holding the rear door hinge to the camera have completely stripped their threads. The camera had one screw in when I bought it and was being held closed with gaff tape which is a decent stop-gap but I'd like to just replace the screws or otherwise affix the door to the camera.

Part of me wants to do it right and tap the body with new tiny rear end threads and get matching screws, but then I'm worried that the body material seems to be pretty weak to begin with and that just using epoxy to bond the door hinge to the body is a better all-around solution.

Anyone have any experience fixing this type of problem? Where would I even get a tiny rear end thread cutter and matching screws?

I don't want to send this off to get repaired because it weighs a ton and unless someone knows a decent place in/near Toronto that can repair this kind of thing then a dollar store tube of epoxy looks to be in my future.

.... thoughts?

Personally I'd epoxy it because it's a Kiev who cares? But if you want to do it properly you need something like this http://a.co/fFFSivb and to be lucky enough that the dude that built your camera was sober enough to operate machinery that day.

java
May 7, 2005

Can anyone recommend a good telephoto lens for a Canon T6i? I've got somewhere between 400-600 bucks to spend. Something that I could take pictures of birds with from my porch would be ideal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Personally I'd epoxy it because it's a Kiev who cares? But if you want to do it properly you need something like this http://a.co/fFFSivb and to be lucky enough that the dude that built your camera was sober enough to operate machinery that day.

Ugh those look way too fiddly. I think it's epoxy time!

Thanks for tracking that down though, I had a hell of a time.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

Ugh those look way too fiddly. I think it's epoxy time!

Thanks for tracking that down though, I had a hell of a time.

Knowing weird broken camera stuff has some how become my full time job.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

java posted:

Can anyone recommend a good telephoto lens for a Canon T6i? I've got somewhere between 400-600 bucks to spend. Something that I could take pictures of birds with from my porch would be ideal.

How far away are the birds and what type of birds are they? For small birds like tits and finches you want gigantic lenses but for big birds like egrets you don't necessarily need a lot of reach (zooms work well for big birds but you almost always want more focal length for small birds)

The following lenses might be within your budget on the used market, depending on where you live, how lucky you are, their condition, how many others are for sale right now etc:

Primes

The Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L is spectacular though it is getting a bit old. This one on your crop camera gives you an equivalent of 640mm focal length.

The Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II is great and gives you a 320mm equivalent focal length. Half the focal length of the lens above so your subjects will fill a quarter as much of the frame

The Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS is amazing, has IS, is a lot newer than the 400 and works well with teleconverters so it is a much more versatile solution than either of the lenses above.

Zooms

The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS is very versatile, with IS and a huuuge zoom range, but it never had very good image quality. The II version of this lens offers greatly improved image quality but i doubt you will find it in your price range in the used market yet, except some banged up ones that require repairs

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is absolutely amazing. Razor sharp, versatile, great IS, works with teleconverters. Might be able to find this one within your budget. There is also a F2.8 version without IS, and F4 versions with and without IS.

I intentionally left out consumer zooms like 24-200, 70-300 and such.
Personally, if this lens was purely for birding, i'd get the 400 F5,6 or 300 F4. If you also do other stuff like portraits, bigger wildlife, etc, i'd go for the 70-200; I take about 80% of my photos with the 70-200.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 19, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've used the Canon 400 f/5.6 before. Super sharp lens but oh boy is it thirsty for light. The focal length requires really fast shutter speed to prevent motion blur on top of it only being open to 5.6. A tripod is a nearly mandatory recommendation from me for that lens.

I've tested that verses a 70-200 f/2.8L with a 2x teleconverter and I sold the 400 as a result. It was far more convenient to use the teleconverter and lens without sacrificing a noticeable amount of sharpness. Gone are the days of making a hilarious 800mm, though. I miss that.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I started photography with my dad's old Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex (Super, I think) and I'm getting nostalgic and want to hop on ebay and grab one since they look to be pretty cheap. But I'm wondering, if I have a hankering for retro, could I do better for the price?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
There's a whole load of options if you want retro film shooting funtimes. What is your budget and what formats are you interested in?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dupersaurus posted:

I started photography with my dad's old Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex (Super, I think) and I'm getting nostalgic and want to hop on ebay and grab one since they look to be pretty cheap. But I'm wondering, if I have a hankering for retro, could I do better for the price?

Nostalgia outweighs grungy old neckbeards sperging about "The Best" camera. I don't know enough about the Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex (or its upgrades) but if you have good memories of your dad's, just bid on eBay until you're satisfied. A quick bit of reading didn't tell me anything about batteries, but most old cameras either don't strictly need batteries (except to run the light meter, which you can get by without with some practice, and/or a free light meter app on a smartphone) or use readily-available batteries (SR44, for example), or can be adapted fairly easily to readily-available batteries from their weird toxic OEM batteries.

If you want to explore film photography - YES, DO THIS - then pretty much any 35mm SLR will do. I'm partial to Pentax and Minolta bodies from the 1980's but it really comes down to personal taste, which is driven entirely by subjective factors like "this looks cool" or "my uncle had one of these" or "I saw one of these in a movie". And then there's the wide, weird world of Former-Soviet-Union (FSM) camera gear, which combines retro with the Iron Curtain.

java
May 7, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

How far away are the birds and what type of birds are they? For small birds like tits and finches you want gigantic lenses but for big birds like egrets you don't necessarily need a lot of reach (zooms work well for big birds but you almost always want more focal length for small birds)

The birds are probably anywhere from 20 - 70 feet away, but very generally are small (robins, finches). Your post was super helpful, thank you so much!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

java posted:

The birds are probably anywhere from 20 - 70 feet away, but very generally are small (robins, finches). Your post was super helpful, thank you so much!

For typical backyard birds, you're shooting them at rest, too. The 400mm is a fantastic lens but for it's speed and lack of IS, neither of which should be that big of a setback.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

java posted:

I'd buy the 300 F4, and both the teleconverters so you have a 420mm F5,6 and a 600mm F8 lens. (The F8 variant will likely only autofocus on the center focus point or not at all on your camera, F8 autofocus is generally reserved for higher end cameras)

Also consider getting the Extension Tubes. These move the focal plane of your lens, allowing you to focus on things that are closer than normally. This means you will lose "inifinity" focus though, but on long tele lenses you will be able to focus to almost infinity anyways. I believe you won't actually lose infinity focus with a 600mm lens on a crop body (?)
Extension tubes are useful for when one of those small birds happen to land very close to you. The long tele lenses usually have a very long minimum focus distance, we are talking several meters away, so with an extension tube on it you will be able to focus much closer.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 19, 2017

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

If you want to explore film photography - YES, DO THIS - then pretty much any 35mm SLR will do. I'm partial to Pentax and Minolta bodies from the 1980's but it really comes down to personal taste, which is driven entirely by subjective factors like "this looks cool" or "my uncle had one of these" or "I saw one of these in a movie". And then there's the wide, weird world of Former-Soviet-Union (FSM) camera gear, which combines retro with the Iron Curtain.

Buy a lot of bad and weird cameras. Have fun shooting them despite their many flaws. You can buy pro-grade film cameras for the cost of a night out if you look around. I have a poo poo-ton of old Soviet cameras from the 50s, 60s and 70s and I paid almost nothing for most of them. Other than my medium format Arax which I bought new and the Spotmatic that I bought from a Dorkroomer, most of them cost me less than $50.

Buy old cameras because they look cool, because they evoke memories of old family holidays, because you like industrial design and precision engineering or just because they are rad things to have around. Buy old cameras is what I am saying.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This isn’t helping my dumb desire to buy a bunch of old cameras and try to make a diy darkroom uggggh

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I recently inherited 3 film cameras and oh god photography is just fun at that point. Each shot costing money is a good way to start to learn to take a single shot per motive which then in turn forces you to spend a lot of time setting up the shot which forces you to focus on the details and goes on from there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Kilometers Davis posted:

This isn’t helping my dumb desire to buy a bunch of old cameras and try to make a diy darkroom uggggh

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Each shot costing money is a good way to start to learn to take a single shot per motive which then in turn forces you to spend a lot of time setting up the shot which forces you to focus on the details and goes on from there.

And then you learn that famous Henri Cartier-Bresson with his "decisive moments" more like spent one roll of film per motive and just picked out the single good frame.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

[quote="“ExecuDork”" post="“476579803”"]
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!
[/quote]

Is it a reasonable thing to attempt? Someone should link me a proper diy and fuel my idiotic desires.

My girlfriend has actually been wanting to do this for a while so if I start going in that direction I’m 100% doomed

I love limiting art, paradox of choice etc, and embracing weird idiosyncrasies is def up my alley. I do it with music and always find success.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is it a reasonable thing to attempt? Someone should link me a proper diy and fuel my idiotic desires.

My girlfriend has actually been wanting to do this for a while so if I start going in that direction I’m 100% doomed

I love limiting art, paradox of choice etc, and embracing weird idiosyncrasies is def up my alley. I do it with music and always find success.

Wait, both you AND your S.O. want a darkroom? What are you waiting for? You have nothing to lose but all your money.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Imagine four minifridges full of film on the edge of a cliff... your bank balance works the same way.

(but yeah do it, film is fun and developing/printing B+W is easy as gently caress)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did a fair amount of darkroom work in school and it always gave me anxiety. It wasn't film rolls though, I was doing prepress work. I didn't like wondering if I was about to waste a giant sheet of film by leaving it in the developer too long or had the wrong temperature or whatever.

I suppose if I got to do the generating prints half of the process it wouldn't have been as bad as that's when you get to do the creative stuff. All you're wasting then is the paper and still have the original to fall back on.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
People who have never developed film before (or only did it long ago in some school darkroom) often seem to conflate Developing with Printing. Developing, taking light-sensitive film you've exposed in a camera and making it both no-longer light reactive ("fixing" it) and showing the image, is easy and can be done in a kitchen or bathroom - you'll need a reasonable supply of water, both to dilute the chemicals to their working concentrations (you buy the components as high-concentration solutions, kinda like orange juice in a can, just not frozen) and for some steps during the developing process. You could develop film in your backyard with a garden hose. Cleaner water is better, but pondwater would work (your pictures will be a bit funky, but whatever).

All you need to develop is a dark place just big enough to fit your hands, the developing tank, the film, and the rolls to put the film on that go into the tank. A windowless room that you can make completely dark will work, you only need the darkness for as much time as it takes to get the film onto the roll and into the tank, so like 15 minutes. A better option is a dark bag, which has sleeves for your arms and keeps light out that way.

A proper darkroom - red light, trays, clothespegs on strings, - is needed for Printing, the process of making prints from film negatives (or positives if you want to get really fancy). I've done a bit of developing, a few dozen rolls, but I've never printed. My "darkroom" is a pile of stuff that would fit in a desk drawer.

EDIT: Here's an Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Develop-Film/
One of the comments points out you don't need to do everything in complete darkness if you buy a proper dev tank and changing bag. Even the bag isn't super necessary, with a proper dev tank (which is opaque) the only step in darkness is film-on-roll-into-tank, all of the chemistry (pour in, pour out, pour in, pour out) happens in the light.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
What Execudork said. Developing is the "risky" bit, and it isn't risky. You have get the knack of loading your film onto the reels, and after that it's just following instructions.

Printing will soak up time. It involves chemistry (wear gloves) and paper and an enlarger (usually). You will mess up a lot. You will go through reams of paper. It will not be wasted. You will burn and dodge with your hands and tools and try to remember what you did later. You will be at home in safelight and learn patience. You'll try a lot of weird poo poo. I found it extremely cathartic.

I'd have a darkroom if I had a house. And time. And money.