Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Harlock posted:

Do I trust Bethesda and their optimization team or Square.

Where's the poison pill option.
Doom and Wolfenstein use Id Tech 666, which was built by loving wizards, so Skyrim won't really be a sign of whether or not Bethesda are really giving a crap about the Switch.

Speaking of third parties, the big Minecraft update won't be out on Switch today like it is on other platforms.

quote:

We’re working really hard with our partners at Nintendo to accomplish cross-device connectivity that is yet unprecedented in the history of gaming. This is very exciting work, but introduces lots of complexities to the development process. So, we’re continuing development work to bring Minecraft to Nintendo Switch and will release it once it’s ready.

EDIT:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Let's hope a loot box system :barf: never darkens any Nintendo game
You should probably avoid the Fire Emblem mobile game, then... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You gotta feel bad for the FFXV team. Terribly managed and pressured to make the best looking game, based on the franchise's prestige status. So they start the game on PS3, years later move it to PS4, and then they're nearly finished and then gotta work on optimising it for PS4 Pro. I'm gonna be eligible for AARP by the time FFXVI comes around.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nintendo is one of the few companies where their DLC isn't pure bullshit. Time and again the DLC packs released for Nintendo games add a hefty chunk of content and content that was clearly started on after the game released. Let's hope a loot box system :barf: never darkens any Nintendo game

Nintendo's DLC is really hit and miss. It can absolutely awful or really great depending on the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Doom and Wolfenstein use Id Tech 666, which was built by loving wizards, so Skyrim won't really be a sign of whether or not Bethesda are really giving a crap about the Switch.

Don't forget that the Fox Engine was obscene devil magic on just the 360/PS3.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

When Super Mario Odyssey releases the Switch will reach its next form and be Golden Frieza level (also Namco bring that new DBZ fighting game to the Switch please)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

You gotta feel bad for the FFXV team. Terribly managed and pressured to make the best looking game, based on the franchise's prestige status. So they start the game on PS3, years later move it to PS4, and then they're nearly finished and then gotta work on optimising it for PS4 Pro. I'm gonna be eligible for AARP by the time FFXVI comes around.

Don't forget that FFXV was originally announced in 2006 as FFXIII Versus

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Detective No. 27 posted:

FF15 is effectively a Games as Service now with how many updates and expansions it gets, so I guess they'll just keep working on it until it stops making any kind of money.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I completely ignored FF15 since its just on PS4

whats good about it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

eonwe posted:

whats good about it

Handsome boy road trip

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget that the Fox Engine was obscene devil magic on just the 360/PS3.

I'm sad Kojima had to leave it behind but based on what I've seen in Horizon, the beefed up Decima engine he'll be using will likely be just as good.

If Konami is serious about putting all their poo poo up again like Castlevania and ZOE, we really need those MGS games yesterday

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

eonwe posted:

whats good about it

If you've played Xenoblade then you've played what FF15 wanted to be.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Doctor Doctor give me the news,
I've got a bad case of when is star dew?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Louisgod posted:

poo poo, FF15 is that bad?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got FFXV and returned it a few days later

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Louisgod posted:

FF15 did some really great things with the combat and world travel that Xenoblade could learn from (in terms of teammate control and teamup attacks, or a car) but ultimately the world of XC is definitely more interesting than the prairies and diners of FF15

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I wanted to try out the latest Final Fantasy but did not buy it specifically because the main character looked like such an anime bitch with a 2000's emo haircut you can't get rid of.

Seriously, that's the only reason I didn't buy the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's also kind of admirable how far Square-Enix is willing to go to keep FF15 alive and continue improving it. Almost every month they release some kind of update to the game that adds some big feature (i.e. bestiary, chapter select, new combat mechanics) or put out a DLC expansion. I thought they would just drop it cold after launch but no, still going strong after all this time. Next month they're releasing a Monster Hunter-inspired 4-player online co-op mode with character creation and after that a VR-exclusive fishing game that links with the Monster Hunter mode.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Policenaut posted:

It's also kind of admirable how far Square-Enix is willing to go to keep FF15 alive and continue improving it. Almost every month they release some kind of update to the game that adds some big feature (i.e. bestiary, chapter select, new combat mechanics) or put out a DLC expansion. I thought they would just drop it cold after launch but no, still going strong after all this time. Next month they're releasing a Monster Hunter-inspired 4-player online co-op mode with character creation and after that a VR-exclusive fishing game that links with the Monster Hunter mode.

All things told, I enjoyed FF15 until I started playing the last third of the story. It was a chill game with cool bro time, and I got a ton of housework done while autopiloting places. I wish all that content had been in the game initially because I don't know if I care enough to go back for it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You're assuming FFXVI won't be a F2P mobile game. :barf:

Louisgod posted:

This is all that needs to be said. The first trailer for FF15 was "HEY gently caress XENOBLADE LOOK AT OUR COOL SCENERY AND BIG MONSTERS."

...and then Xenoblade Chronicles X turned out to be a bit of a tire fire and didn't live up to the hype of Xenoblade Chronicles, despite having goddamn mechs and other things that were so cool in concept. :sigh:

I'd probably jump on a XCX rerelease on the Switch before I'd get FF15 for it, provided the XCX remake ironed out at least some of the kinks in that game, like the dumb affection system being so loving grindy (and required for a couple main story missions) or (skell) combat being all over the place.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Policenaut posted:

Maybe one day the plot will make sense

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe one day the plot will make sense

Let's not ask miracles here.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're assuming FFXVI won't be a F2P mobile game. :barf:

It'll be a full blown console game. They need something to spin-off into F2P mobile games, a chibi phone demake, and a fresh new batch of characters to add into FF crossover spinoffs.

Which, while I don't play those F2P games, they at least fund the ever more expensive main console ventures, so I more or less tolerate them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

All things told, I enjoyed FF15 until I started playing the last third of the story. It was a chill game with cool bro time, and I got a ton of housework done while autopiloting places. I wish all that content had been in the game initially because I don't know if I care enough to go back for it.

FF15's last 3rd literally and figuratively railroads you to the end. The stealth action chapter was one of the worst parts of any game I played last year

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Literally like you're on a train?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah. You basically get to explore this wonderful world and then the story takes a loving dive, takes you to another continent where you literally spend the entire time riding a train until you reach the final area/boss

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 20, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
You can tell that the last area was supposed to be another open world but they were running out of time/budget to actually finish it.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Infinitum posted:

Blizzard need to get their poo poo in order and get Diablo 3 on this thing.

That said Blizzcon is coming up in Nov 3-4, so there might be a big reveal there and they flip a Switch and suddenly games.

Searching google for "diablo 3 switch" and the first result being someone asking for diablo 3 for switch with a rating of six thumbs down really makes me miss the lovely blizzard community

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

FF15's last 3rd literally and figuratively railroads you to the end. The stealth action chapter was one of the worst parts of any game I played last year

Yeah, unless its been significantly improved I kind of wish I had stayed in the open world and "100%"ed it without actually finishing the story. The only good part of the last third are those final outfits.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Tender Bender posted:

I hope the game ends with Mario possessing Bowser and forcing him to kill himself.

When you leave someone after possessing them they should explode into bloody chunks like in oddworld

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

well why not posted:

the real problem is Gamebryo being a pile of poo poo and their newer engine not being much better

Gamebryo is fine. Plenty of other games were made with it that look good and run well. Bethesda just sucked at using it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just realized I want streets of rage 2 on the Switch. It's the one thing that can make me turn my 3ds on at this point, as the 3D remake was flawless in every way

Streetsofragetwowhen

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah, it turns into a segue to CoD WWII by that point. Noctis is a Jewish name in FF-land.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nintendo is one of the few companies where their DLC isn't pure bullshit. Time and again the DLC packs released for Nintendo games add a hefty chunk of content and content that was clearly started on after the game released. Let's hope a loot box system :barf: never darkens any Nintendo game

They shuffle all their bullshit dlc into the fire emblem series

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
put XCOM 2 on Switch

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stan Taylor posted:

put XCOM 2 on Switch

What if I told you they already did?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Mario Rabbids is awesome.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
My belief is that the train portion of the game is intentionally painful and brilliantly thematic as such. But it could just as easily have been caused by a desperate production cut and run. The Venice City chapter certainly is.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Does Mario x Rabbids have ridiculous poo poo like "whoops you just missed two 90% shots in a row and now your team is gonna get hosed up thanks for playing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Frankston posted:

Does Mario x Rabbids have ridiculous poo poo like "whoops you just missed two 90% shots in a row and now your team is gonna get hosed up thanks for playing"

There's only 3 tiers of % chance to hit. 0%, 50%, and 100%. So the worst that can happen is you get unlucky and miss a few 50% shots in a row.

• Locked thread