Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I'm looking for "crime", action or mystery films which have the same tone as recent indie films like Blue Ruin, Mud and I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. I really enjoyed the understated nature of them--not quite sure how else to describe it. I'm hoping someone who has seen either one or more of these films has similar thoughts and can help me connect the dots to other similar films. Not too worried whether they're indie or mainstream, but I think this aesthetic and script style tend to end up being made independently. Look forward to hearing thoughts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for "crime", action or mystery films which have the same tone as recent indie films like Blue Ruin, Mud and I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. I really enjoyed the understated nature of them--not quite sure how else to describe it. I'm hoping someone who has seen either one or more of these films has similar thoughts and can help me connect the dots to other similar films. Not too worried whether they're indie or mainstream, but I think this aesthetic and script style tend to end up being made independently. Look forward to hearing thoughts!

Killer Joe
Green Room
Kill List
Prisoners (2013)
Sicario

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Green Room is less restrained than Blue Ruin but they share a director and style. A Most Violent Year is understated almost to a fault but has an amazing lead performance by Oscar Isaac. A History of Violence. Zodiac. The Man Who Wasn't There. Memories of Murder.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

oceanside posted:

US: Fargo, Martha Marcy May Marlene, The Place Beyond The Pines, Killing Them Softly, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.

International (I hope you're open to these): Animal Kingdom, Gomorra, the Pusher trilogy, Man Bites Dog, A Prophet, Carlos.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Are there any notable internet-era conspiracy theory videos/feature docs that predate Loose Change from 2005. I'm trying to map out the internet conspiracy video aesthetic and that's sort of the game changer as far as I can tell. Anyone know of anything notable before then?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Are there any notable internet-era conspiracy theory videos/feature docs that predate Loose Change from 2005. I'm trying to map out the internet conspiracy video aesthetic and that's sort of the game changer as far as I can tell. Anyone know of anything notable before then?

I do not, but I'm very interested in the pre and post 9/11 shifts in conspiracy theorist demographics, areas of interest, and politics. If you are doing anything with that mapping do share.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

feedmyleg posted:

I do not, but I'm very interested in the pre and post 9/11 shifts in conspiracy theorist demographics, areas of interest, and politics. If you are doing anything with that mapping do share.

Will do. Currently it's trying to connect Loose Change to the current state of YouTube conspiracy video distribution and how it shaped the aesthetics and opened floodgates. Zeitgeist obviously is the other big one. What i've been able to find so far courtesy of a conspiracy theorist group I joined on Facebook is among others Infowars was producing feature length documentaries since the late 90's. There's also Freeman Fly. In particular the 90's film Waco: A New Revelation seems most closely connected to Loose Change in terms of format, and Alex Jones produced his first feature length 9/11 Was an Inside Job doc in 2002. It's not comprehensive but I'm more trying to get at the approach to conspiracy filmmaking than a complete history.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Maybe I should be asking this in about a year or so, but are there any very recent films or docs that capture the current American zeitgeist of anger, fear, and most especially, paranoia? There's probably a load of movies in development that deal with the Trump era in some form or fashion, and I can't wait to see them, but this climate of weirdness predates his election. Political paralysis, misinformation, mass murder, and tribalism have been on the rise for a while. I'm not necessarily looking for a political thriller, though that would be cool, but even something that just deals with these times thematically.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the purge 2 & 3
american horror story: cult

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Maybe I should be asking this in about a year or so, but are there any very recent films or docs that capture the current American zeitgeist of anger, fear, and most especially, paranoia? There's probably a load of movies in development that deal with the Trump era in some form or fashion, and I can't wait to see them, but this climate of weirdness predates his election. Political paralysis, misinformation, mass murder, and tribalism have been on the rise for a while. I'm not necessarily looking for a political thriller, though that would be cool, but even something that just deals with these times thematically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016:_Obama%27s_America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America:_Imagine_the_World_Without_Her
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary%27s_America:_The_Secret_History_of_the_Democratic_Party

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

:chloe:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz6u7xRznjY

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it's worth a watch. The whole thing's on youtube.

I know a 2.5 hour documentary is a huge time investment, and it sounds like I'm recommending Loose Change or something, but Adam Curtis is a respected filmmaker, and this was produced by the BBC, so it has a hint of legitimacy.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

What movies could I watch that deal with/involve characters that have Bipolar Disorder or something comparable?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corrosion posted:

What movies could I watch that deal with/involve characters that have Bipolar Disorder or something comparable?

Ingrid Goes West.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Here's a wiki list of films about bipolar disorder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_about_bipolar_disorder but I would take any screen depiction with a very large pinch of salt as films have generally never been great at depicting mental illness

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Purple Monkey posted:

Here's a wiki list of films about bipolar disorder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_about_bipolar_disorder but I would take any screen depiction with a very large pinch of salt as films have generally never been great at depicting mental illness

I have Bipolar Disorder Type II/Unlisted. My psychiatrist put me on the functional end, so I can at least say I have a good idea of tells about the condition... but is there a film or films on that list that you would say is worth seeing? Putting Ingrid Goes West on the top of the list, but I'm contrasting this with a depiction in another medium just for the sake of it. I never really saw anything that really put a mirror to my face about it, to your point.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I don't know if it's strictly bipolar disorder (or even if it's explicitly stated what she has) but I love Betty Blue, which is in that sort of wheelhouse

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Corrosion posted:

I have Bipolar Disorder Type II/Unlisted. My psychiatrist put me on the functional end, so I can at least say I have a good idea of tells about the condition... but is there a film or films on that list that you would say is worth seeing? Putting Ingrid Goes West on the top of the list, but I'm contrasting this with a depiction in another medium just for the sake of it. I never really saw anything that really put a mirror to my face about it, to your point.

I'm pretty sure Bradley Cooper's character in Silver Linings Playbook has bipolar disorder. It's a good movie. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Corrosion posted:

I remember thinking Prozac Nation was decent when I saw it 15 years ago, but even if I saw it yesterday I wouldn't be able to tell if the depiction of depression is accurate, it's based on an autobiography so I assume at least some of it is true to life.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

About a year ago, I made a post in this thread requesting recommendations for drama films about poor characters/poverty/etc.. I'd like to ask for more suggestions but for foreign/non-English language films on the subject.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

About a year ago, I made a post in this thread requesting recommendations for drama films about poor characters/poverty/etc.. I'd like to ask for more suggestions but for foreign/non-English language films on the subject.

The Bicycle Thief is like the ur-example of this. I think it's more commonly called Bicycle Thieves now, either way it's an Italian movie from the late 40's.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

The French film I Stand Alone isn't about poverty specifically, but it features a character who is constantly unemployed, living in unpleasant conditions, and searching for a job (and having to work increasingly menial and frustrating jobs). Unemployment/the general misery of his life is a big theme. Just a heads up it's quite a disturbing movie, but it might scratch the itch.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Oliver Reed posted:

2 days, 1 night is a French film with a pretty vulnerable performance from an impoverished, chronically depressed Marion Cotillard. Her job is in jeopardy and she has to visit all of her current coworkers, begging them to take a pay-cut so that she can stay on.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The Dardennes in general tend to focus on lower/working-class characters in their films.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Corrosion posted:

Not a movie, but I'd definitely check out Lady Dynamite or the last few years of Maria Bamford's standup.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good Korean movie recommendations? I just recently got into them and love them. So far I have seen The Handmaiden, I Saw The Devil, The Chaser, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Wailing, Train To Busan, The Piper, Roaring(?). Really enjoyed all of those except Roaring which I just dropped because it was way too much exposition. Only gave it a try cause it had the same actor from I saw the devil and chaser.

Mostly gone with horror/thriller genre so far but I don't mind suggestions of other genres.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Ulio posted:

Any good Korean movie recommendations? I just recently got into them and love them. So far I have seen The Handmaiden, I Saw The Devil, The Chaser, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Wailing, Train To Busan, The Piper, Roaring(?). Really enjoyed all of those except Roaring which I just dropped because it was way too much exposition. Only gave it a try cause it had the same actor from I saw the devil and chaser.

Mostly gone with horror/thriller genre so far but I don't mind suggestions of other genres.

memories of murder
oldboy
the host

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
The Yellow Sea
The Divine Move
The Man from Nowhere
The Good, the Bad, the Weird

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks I will check those out. I will watch Oldboy first since I've been interested in that for a while now.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you all for the assist on my last request for recommendations! Some great stuff came through as always.

This time I'm wondering if you can help me out with something I'm not quite sure how to describe...

I've recently re-watched Heat, Glengarry Glen Ross and The Godfather, which are some of my favourite films. I think the reason I like them so much is because they are so richly steeped in the lore of the worlds they take place in (e.g. California underworld, the mob, the sales world). Listening to directors' commentaries and reading around the films it's apparent that the directors and writers of these films went out of their ways to learn about these worlds in an attempt to create films which capture their deep texture and which are highly nuanced.

Can you think of any other films which fit this mould?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

oceanside posted:

Thank you all for the assist on my last request for recommendations! Some great stuff came through as always.

This time I'm wondering if you can help me out with something I'm not quite sure how to describe...

I've recently re-watched Heat, Glengarry Glen Ross and The Godfather, which are some of my favourite films. I think the reason I like them so much is because they are so richly steeped in the lore of the worlds they take place in (e.g. California underworld, the mob, the sales world). Listening to directors' commentaries and reading around the films it's apparent that the directors and writers of these films went out of their ways to learn about these worlds in an attempt to create films which capture their deep texture and which are highly nuanced.

Can you think of any other films which fit this mould?

Bring It On.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I'm looking for fun "documentary"/retelling of true facts types of movies. Stuff like The Big Short, Spotlight, Zodiak (2007) or Gold (2016). It might be a little bit of a broad request but throw some titles at me. It was fun googling those movies after I watched them to see what was true and what was changed for the sake of the film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FalloutGod posted:

I'm looking for fun "documentary"/retelling of true facts types of movies. Stuff like The Big Short, Spotlight, Zodiak (2007) or Gold (2016). It might be a little bit of a broad request but throw some titles at me. It was fun googling those movies after I watched them to see what was true and what was changed for the sake of the film.

All the President's Men is a precursor to the Zodiac/Spotlight style investigative journalism film. Also, if you're looking to do a lot of sifting through fact from fiction, JFK.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FalloutGod posted:

Exit Through the Gift Shop

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FalloutGod posted:

The Great Escape
In Cold Blood
The French Connection
Eight Men Out
Into The Wild
Moneyball
The Social Network

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

FalloutGod posted:

Bernie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've just watched a few good 60s espoinage/Eurospy movies that jumped on the wake of the early Bond movies, including Danger Diabolik and Deadlier Than the Male. Would love more sleazy, globetrotting spy movies/capers/thrillers from that era. The more swinging and sexy and fun the better.

I asked in the General thread as well and got a couple good reccos, but that thread movie fast and I want to make sure I get the cream of the crop.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

feedmyleg posted:

I've just watched a few good 60s espoinage/Eurospy movies that jumped on the wake of the early Bond movies, including Danger Diabolik and Deadlier Than the Male. Would love more sleazy, globetrotting spy movies/capers/thrillers from that era. The more swinging and sexy and fun the better.

I asked in the General thread as well and got a couple good reccos, but that thread movie fast and I want to make sure I get the cream of the crop.

See if you can find a subbed copy of Satanik. Also, The Million Eyes of Sumuru, Fathom, Gambit, Topkapi, Action Man(1967 French film), Seven Golden Men, Seven Golden Men Strike Again, How to Steal a Million

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lesser known 70s conspiracy thrillers? Something along the lines of The Parallax View, The Conversation, Three Days of the Condor, All the President's Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Executive Action. Costa Gravas' Z. Not exactly unknown, but Day of the Jackal prob counts too.

• Locked thread