Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I have a slushpile of movies I've been sitting on for months/years I want to get to, but having no plan and flying by the seat of my pants is absolutely the way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

I have a slushpile of movies I've been sitting on for months/years I want to get to, but having no plan and flying by the seat of my pants is absolutely the way to do it.

I have a whole calendar with movies assigned to each day, and it was such a lovely plan because I'm sitting down to watch movies and going to myself "well I'm more in the mood for the double feature I had planned for three days from now, oh well, gotta keep to the schedule!" Which is such a dumb way to do something that's supposed to be fun, so I'm taking control of my borderline OCD tendencies and I'm just gonna use the double features I already had planned but when I feel like it, not rigidly planned to the point that I end up sitting there watching something I'm not really in the mood to watch.

So far I'm happy with how many first-time viewings I'm doing, I have 4 down already and haven't hit a real stinker yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah just watch whatever.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

7.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

This was another movie that got watched a lot around my childhood home. Weird aside, while I never got along with my pops, he did let me watch a lot of these insanely violent and scary movies that I love now. So his poor parenting was my gain!

This is easily one of my top horror movies because they just went all the way with it. The very first encounter with Leatherface is so insane between the situation and the music. It really sets you up for what the movie is all about. Chop Top too is one of the better horror characters to be put on screen in my personal opinion. Dennis Hopper as well is great. Even if he personally didn't like the movie he elevates it by going full on over the top. There a few powerful and disturbing scenes but mostly its just dark fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The ending of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is really inspired.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

Oh poo poo I just remember I needed to post.

Put me down for 31 and uh I'll throw down a gauntlet challenge .. I'll do 31 years of horror challenge so I'll watch one movie from each year from this year so 2017 , 2016 , 2015 all the way back to 1986. Who wants to challenge me? First one to 31 from a film from each year wins. Starting October 1st of course.

This sounds fun and I'm gonna go look up years for my list to see how much it would mess up my plans.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
for the thread
1)Ghostwatch

I really enjoyed it. As far as spooky faux tv docs it's a farsite better than the UPN's Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County. It's done a lot more smoothly, what with the experts and investigation being part of the event rather than after the fact. I even thought it worked better than WNUF Halloween Special, since it took itself more seriously, even if it's less nostalgic for me personally. I'm sure I would have been totally freaked out had I watched it when it originally aired. Good stuff

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: out of 5

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The story tends to go that King was doing A LOT of cocaine during the production of this movie and even though I have no idea if that's actually true, it's very easy to believe it after watching.

While I can't provide any direct information, it was produced right at the height of King's substance abuse problems so it would be more of a surprise if he wasn't coked up and/or drunk 90% of the time.

Ambitious Spider posted:

for the thread
1)Ghostwatch

I really enjoyed it. As far as spooky faux tv docs it's a farsite better than the UPN's Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County. It's done a lot more smoothly, what with the experts and investigation being part of the event rather than after the fact. I even thought it worked better than WNUF Halloween Special, since it took itself more seriously, even if it's less nostalgic for me personally. I'm sure I would have been totally freaked out had I watched it when it originally aired. Good stuff

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: out of 5

My only problem with Ghostwatch is that they give the game away about five to ten minutes too early and just go full goofy at the very end. It's so close to perfectly done that I wish they had played it straight and gone with something really weird and offputting as the ending. Of course, given that this scarred a generation of children in the UK, it's probably for the best that they did things that way; there would still be viewers unable to sleep with the lights off if they had kept the tone up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

STAC Goat posted:

This sounds fun and I'm gonna go look up years for my list to see how much it would mess up my plans.

The 90s are rather brutally disappointing

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Are they though?

1999 was a straight beast for good movies, only 1995 is truly lean with The Prophecy being the best thing in it. Plus you got some all-timers in Ravenous, Dusk Till Dawn, ItMoM, Scream, Candyman, Tremors and Jacob's Ladder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The 90's aren't objectively as good as any other decade of horror, BUT I also was a teenager during the 90's and so I have a lot of nostalgia for some of those lesser movies.

Like, I could do a 90's week and watch stuff like Mimic, Scream 2, The Faculty, Species, Candyman 2, Lake Placid, Sleepy Hollow, Wishmaster, Cube, etc. and be perfectly happy even though none of those are really considered top-tier 90's horror. And then yea, each year for the most part had one or two that are true classics like Candyman or Scream.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
1)Ghostwatch
2)Willow Creek

It doesn't live up to Boggy Creek or Boggy Creek II, but still not a terrible Bigfoot flick. Not nearly as stupid as Lost Coast:The Bigfoot tapes which I watched last year.

:byobear::byobear:.5/5

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

1)Ghostwatch
2)Willow Creek

It doesn't live up to Boggy Creek or Boggy Creek II, but still not a terrible Bigfoot flick. Not nearly as stupid as Lost Coast:The Bigfoot tapes which I watched last year.

:byobear::byobear:.5/5

Lost Coast tapes is the one with bigfoot aliens right?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ambitious Spider posted:

2)Willow Creek

It doesn't live up to
(...) Boggy Creek II, but still not a terrible Bigfoot flick.

Whoa, you lost me there. You can't mean this Boggy Creek II

Can you?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat that Bigfoot costume is pretty bad, must have been very low budget.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

Lost Coast tapes is the one with bigfoot aliens right?

It's the one with Bigfoot guarding humans against the Devil? or Something. It was dumb

Franchescanado posted:

Whoa, you lost me there. You can't mean this Boggy Creek II

Can you?

I do. I thought it was charming and kind of atmospheric. I mean, it's not like a great movie, but it's fun. Haven't seen it in forever though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ambitious Spider posted:

I do. I thought it was charming and kind of atmospheric. I mean, it's not like a great movie, but it's fun. Haven't seen it in forever though.

It's one of the funniest episodes of MST3k. I couldn't imagine watching it normal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

I'm gonna try it but it looks like its going to be tough to find those 90s movies. And I dated my list of movies and its predictably heavy in the aughts. I did a quick look at some lists and all the movies of note or that catch my attention are ones I've already seen so it will be hard to meet my "first watch" criteria. And there's some pretty notable pre-87 movies I definitely want to get in.

2017: Get Out (DVD); Death Note (Netflix); Little Evil (Netflix)
2016: The Girl With All The Gifts (Amazon Prime); 31 (Amazon Prime); The Neon Demon (Amazon Prime); Shallows (Starz); Within (HBO Go); The Other Side of the Door (HBO Go); Conjuring 2 (HBO Go); Ouija: Origin of Evil (Max Go); The Eyes of My Mother (Netflix); Hush (Netflix); Beyond the Gates (Netflix); I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in The House (Netflix); The Void (Netflix)
2015: Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension (Amazon Prime); Hell House LLC (Amazon Prime); Green Room (Amazon Prime); The Boy (Showtime Anytime); Sinister 2 (HBO Go); Extraordinary Tales (Netflix); Creep (Netflix); We Are Still Here (Netflix); Hellions (Netflix);
2014: Godzilla [2014] (DVD); Let Us Prey (Showtime Anytime); WyrmWood (Netflix); At the Devil’s Door (Netflix);
2013: Green Inferno (HBO Go); Contracted (Netflix)
2012: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (DVD); Maniac (Showtime Anytime)
2011: Apollo 18 (DVD);
2010: Let Me In (DVD); Black Swan (DVD); Beyond The Black Rainbow (Amazon Prime);
2009: Dead Snow (Netflix); Halloween 2 (DVD)
2008: The Strangers (DVR); The Day The Earth Stood Still (Max Go);
2007:
2006: Pan’s Labryinth (DVD); Turistas (Starz); Fido (Max Go); Bug (Max Go); Them (Amazon);
2005: King Kong [2005] (DVD);
2004:
2003:
2002:
2001:
2000:
1999:
1998:
1997:
1996:
1995:
1994:
1993:
1992:
1991:
1990:
1989:
1988: Phantasm 2 (HBO Go);
1987:

Pre 1987: The Legend of Hell House [1973] (Netflix); Jaws [1975] (Starz); Cat People [1982] (Starz); Creature From The Black Lagoon [1954] (Starz); Suspiria [1977] (Amazon Prime); Martin [1978] (DVD); The Stone Tape [1972] (DVD); The Beyond [1981] (DVD); King Kong [1933] (DVD)

Still, think I'm going to make up a little calender of years and mark them off as I go and try and do this too. I was debating subscribing to Shudder so I figure I do that and just search for movies by year and go wildcard for those 90s. Seems doable and gives me more fun and ways to pick since I'm kind of an indecisive "analysis paralysis" kind of guy with this stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A good one for 1995 might be Castle Freak, a Stuart Gordon film that re-unites Combs and Crampton. It's not as good as his earlier stuff but still very much worth a watch. Of course I'm just guessing as to what you may or may not have seen before.

And a possibility for 1997 is The Night Flier, which last time I checked was available on youtube.

1993 has Cronos, Needful Things, and Warlock, and also the original Leprechaun

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

A good one for 1995 might be Castle Freak, a Stuart Gordon film that re-unites Combs and Crampton. It's not as good as his earlier stuff but still very much worth a watch. Of course I'm just guessing as to what you may or may not have seen before.

And a possibility for 1997 is The Night Flier, which last time I checked was available on youtube.

Do Cronos for 93. Love that movie. I've heard Warlock owns as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Cronos is the only '93 I haven't seen but definitely an option if I can find it availably. Night Flier I saw but its kind of on my iffy list since its been forever since I've seen it so I might count it as a "new" since i don't remember it very well. I'll make a note of Castle Freak and see if I can find it. Thanks.

The Warlock movies have always been a low key favorite of mine. Trashy and 90's as gently caress but fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
*cough*Dead Alive was '92*cough*

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 20, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Cronos is the only '93 I haven't seen but definitely an option if I can find it availably. Night Flier I saw but its kind of on my iffy list since its been forever since I've seen it so I might count it as a "new" since i don't remember it very well. I'll make a note of Castle Freak and see if I can find it. Thanks.

Cronos is on Filmstruck or a 3 buck rental through the googles

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
oh and The Church for your 1989 flick.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, do The Frighteners for '96 and a Peter Jackson double feature.

1990's gotta be Tremors

edit: And Cape Fear for '91.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've only got Shudder and Amazon Prime now / Youtube so I gotta go with whats available there. Vudu and other free streaming sites that don't have vicious malware.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

gently caress it, do The Frighteners for '96 and a Peter Jackson double feature.

1990's gotta be Tremors

edit: And Cape Fear for '91.

Fundamental problem with the 90s is that those being my formative years I've seen most all the ones of note. Cronos is definitely a notable exception. I'm also pretty weak on the Final Destination moves so I might be able to work them in.

We'll see.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

STAC Goat posted:

I'm gonna try it but it looks like its going to be tough to find those 90s movies. And I dated my list of movies and its predictably heavy in the aughts. I did a quick look at some lists and all the movies of note or that catch my attention are ones I've already seen so it will be hard to meet my "first watch" criteria. And there's some pretty notable pre-87 movies I definitely want to get in.

2017: Get Out (DVD); Death Note (Netflix); Little Evil (Netflix)
2016: The Girl With All The Gifts (Amazon Prime); 31 (Amazon Prime); The Neon Demon (Amazon Prime); Shallows (Starz); Within (HBO Go); The Other Side of the Door (HBO Go); Conjuring 2 (HBO Go); Ouija: Origin of Evil (Max Go); The Eyes of My Mother (Netflix); Hush (Netflix); Beyond the Gates (Netflix); I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in The House (Netflix); The Void (Netflix)
2015: Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension (Amazon Prime); Hell House LLC (Amazon Prime); Green Room (Amazon Prime); The Boy (Showtime Anytime); Sinister 2 (HBO Go); Extraordinary Tales (Netflix); Creep (Netflix); We Are Still Here (Netflix); Hellions (Netflix);
2014: Godzilla [2014] (DVD); Let Us Prey (Showtime Anytime); WyrmWood (Netflix); At the Devil’s Door (Netflix);
2013: Green Inferno (HBO Go); Contracted (Netflix)
2012: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (DVD); Maniac (Showtime Anytime)
2011: Apollo 18 (DVD);
2010: Let Me In (DVD); Black Swan (DVD); Beyond The Black Rainbow (Amazon Prime);
2009: Dead Snow (Netflix); Halloween 2 (DVD)
2008: The Strangers (DVR); The Day The Earth Stood Still (Max Go);
2007:
2006: Pan’s Labryinth (DVD); Turistas (Starz); Fido (Max Go); Bug (Max Go); Them (Amazon);
2005: King Kong [2005] (DVD);
2004:
2003:
2002:
2001:
2000:
1999:
1998:
1997:
1996:
1995:
1994:
1993:
1992:
1991:
1990:
1989:
1988: Phantasm 2 (HBO Go);
1987:

Pre 1987: The Legend of Hell House [1973] (Netflix); Jaws [1975] (Starz); Cat People [1982] (Starz); Creature From The Black Lagoon [1954] (Starz); Suspiria [1977] (Amazon Prime); Martin [1978] (DVD); The Stone Tape [1972] (DVD); The Beyond [1981] (DVD); King Kong [1933] (DVD)

Still, think I'm going to make up a little calender of years and mark them off as I go and try and do this too. I was debating subscribing to Shudder so I figure I do that and just search for movies by year and go wildcard for those 90s. Seems doable and gives me more fun and ways to pick since I'm kind of an indecisive "analysis paralysis" kind of guy with this stuff.

If you haven't seen it yet add Shin Godzilla to your list for 2016

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

There's a few goons, one who posts in the horror thread kinda regularly (I'm sorry I forget your name if you're in here), who hates giallo, but I don't know if they've elaborated why.

I think I've brought it up in the horror thread but it's me, the goon who hates giallo. The reason why is because the ones I've seen at least are almost incomprehensible. I like a solid 3 act arc. The giallo I've seen are pretty scattershot with their narrative. Take it with a grain of salt. I've just seen Suspiria, Cat O' Nine Tails, and Bay of Blood.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#2: Rabid

Cronenberg is one of the most interesting horror filmmakers I've watched. There's something about the way his 70's and 80's movies capture the ugliest aspects of a given time period, especially architecture and fashion. This visual ugliness gives his films a unique look, and build ugly worlds filled with ugly things, like in Rabid. Definitely one of his lower budget films, it's just rough enough around the edges where it adds to the atmosphere of the movie. Of course, Cronenberg focuses on the personal terror of our bodies acting against our will, and the horrors of science gone wrong. Something I wasn't expecting was apprehension of the larger picture, what happens when the government and military try, and fail, to deal with a catastrophe. Garbage trucks are hastily retrofitted to hold bodies, snipers sit on rooftops and attempt to kill those who turn, a mall Santa dies because a cop can't responsibly use his automatic weapon. The balance between the micro and macro horror is what really makes this movie click, along with the increasing scope of the threat and the unraveling of what's happening; it escalates from scary, mysterious one-on-one confrontations to terrifying, society-wide fear as the audience understands the full scope of the rabies and how it spreads. A worthy entry in Cronenberg's oeuvre.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Warlock was 1989. I know this for an incontrovertible fact because it was the first 15-rated movie I saw at the cinema, a few days before my 15th birthday.

Cronos would be a very good pick for 1993, as would Abel Ferrara's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Does anyone know how many years these horror challenges have been done?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I know I've participated for three years before this one, and the year I started it seemed like it wasn't a very established thing but definitely not the first year it had ever been done either.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I made a Letterboxd list that's mostly inventory sorted by director. Recommend double features or other movies that pair well with my base. It's very 80s biased but I haven't seen any of it so whatever.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I'm in, no set watchlist or anything and odds are I'll watch a lot more than just 31...

1. Pet-2016: 7/10 (Showtime)
Typical story about a creepy guy who becomes obsessed with chick and then kidnaps her, they throw in a twist that kinda sorta makes it a bit more interesting. Acting ain't bad besides Dominic Monhagan's weird American voice, no idea why they even had him do that.

FIRST TIMERS: Pet

SEEN IT BEFORE:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Pretty sure this is the 3rd year I've run it. It was done before me, but I started doing it because no one else made the thread, and I kept it up because I like making it. I just keep volunteering. This is my 4th year participating.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie #9: Baskin

I just complained about incomprehensible movie plots and then dove right into Baskin. The plot is goofy but the gore is genuinely unsettling because it looks so drat real. One big mark for this movie is it's cinematography. Holy poo poo this movie is well shot. Also the little dude is creepy as gently caress. You know what I'm talking about if you've seen it. All in all it is a very...uncomfortable movie. Solid enough.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

I think I've brought it up in the horror thread but it's me, the goon who hates giallo. The reason why is because the ones I've seen at least are almost incomprehensible. I like a solid 3 act arc. The giallo I've seen are pretty scattershot with their narrative. Take it with a grain of salt. I've just seen Suspiria, Cat O' Nine Tails, and Bay of Blood.

You should give Opera a chance. If you can handle some misogyny, The New York Ripper and Your Vice Is A Locked Room and I Have The Key are comprehensibly structured and don't really embrace the dreaminess of Suspiria or the scattered narrative of Bay of Blood

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Opera and Tenebre are really the only two Argento films that I'd say I would enjoy just on a narrative level alone. Like if you gave the scripts to some other random director I'd still probably like the movie. Overall I still prefer to watch Suspiria, Deep Red, or even Inferno instead though just because I think the visuals in those are on a completely different level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

You should give Opera a chance. If you can handle some misogyny, The New York Ripper and Your Vice Is A Locked Room and I Have The Key are comprehensibly structured and don't really embrace the dreaminess of Suspiria or the scattered narrative of Bay of Blood

You know what? In the spirit of watching more movies I will add whichever one of those 3 I find on Shudder/Amazon/Netflix. If I like it I'll add the other 2. Also good news, I found out Netflix has Ravenous so I can put it back on the list.

• Locked thread