Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twenty Four

Every time I see the topic "Post your projects" it makes me want to "Project my posts" and I want to have a projector aimed at the moon that just has a post of me saying "balls" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Twenty Four posted:

Every time I see the topic "Post your projects" it makes me want to "Project my posts" and I want to have a projector aimed at the moon that just has a post of me saying "balls" or something.

sounds like a worthy goal, friend

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Slugnoid

the ferrero rocher, once penetrated loses all sense of its natural buoyancy

VideoGames
Hello BYOB. I decided to come here and begin to read more jolly threads as I have slowly whittled through my bookmarks (I did not think that day would ever happen!) and I have been enthralled by all the wondrous projects and creativity here! This is a new boomark!

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Posting on BYOB has really given me a chance to exercise my creative writing muscle- something I never really get to do. Making short to medium sized bursts of wit that can get a chuckle or two is a nice self-esteem booster and makes me feel more motivated to try bigger things.

Ironically I made comments disparaging "fun" school work the other day, but for some reason when I got assigned this "write a featured magazine article" I got this funny idea based on actual things companies do to adapt to workplace diversity. Admittedly, I don't think it's my best work technically because I was a little lazy, but I thought it was funny and wouldn't mind getting feedback aside from... whatever grade I might get. So enjoy. Or not.

quote:

A New Kind of Employee: Integrating Mythical Creatures into the Workplace
By Starman Super DX

It’s been a long road for equality for all in America. The civil rights movement, the understanding of the LGBTQ community, and of course the ousting of any and all white supremacy groups. A through much strife it seemed like we were able to close the chapter on cultural misunderstandings in my country. Things however aren’t always so quiet. We all remember the events of ten years ago, when CERN’s particle accelerator opened up a portal storm bringing hundreds of thousands of mystical creatures and monsters into the world and the ensuing Ragnarök that took place afterwards that ultimately ended in a draw, a newer, more progressive world attempted to incorporate these new types of people.
So how is the workplace adapting? Some corporations have made open pleas to the Schwarzenegger administration to be more considerate of our fantastical brethren- including regular government stipends for things like brains and blood for the zombies and vampires. Others are attempting or have already reached hiring quotas, such as HotelMotel International, boasting “10% of their employees are either undead or from a different plane of existence of some kind.” Another, BigGrocery Inc. provided budgetary incentives to stores that were willing to hire and accommodate ghosts.
I sat down with Clark M. Michaelburger, head of UnnaccountableFinances LLC just what they were doing to deal with the sudden influx of diversity.
Change isn’t easy for companies, of course. How did your firm handle this more or less sudden integration?
Well a lot of it of course comes down to communication and keeping people informed. Keeping people out of loop really can mean the difference between life and death. Literally, I mean, if the Orks and Elves get their lunches at the same time? It’s a bloodbath.
Do you typically have goals in mind?
Of course. Coming in under budget for the month doesn’t just mean a pizza party or casual Fridays for the team- although letting the leprechauns dress in green once a week did seem to be a great motivator (laughs)- it means employee engagement goes up as well, and engaged employees are hard-working and efficient ones.
What did you do to try and keep up with the other, bigger corporations?
Well we believe that another key part of this adaptation was research. Researching the different backgrounds and cultures of these monst- (clears throat) fantastic beings, allowed us to get ahead of the game. For example for hiring centaurs we thought ahead and had stables put in. At least I’m not the one cleaning them, anyway.

Are there any other strategies that you’d like to discuss?
I’d be more than happy to. In fact, I’ve brought a recorded transcript with me involving a conflict between one of our HR Team Leaders, Scott Scottsman and a subordinate, if you don’t mind.
Please.
SS: “Gronk, do you know why I called you in here?”
G: “Gronk is most powerful Ork warlord!” (crashing sound)
SS:”Well, yes, that’s true. But I wanted to speak with you about something. Karen tells me you haven’t been returning her phone calls.”
SS: “Is there perhaps a reason for that? Is it the speech impediment?”
G: “…Gronk maybe… feel marginalized…”
SS: “Well we all do a little sometimes, but I can offer to send you to speech therapy on the company dime. In the meantime, why not just stick to email.”
G: *voice breaking* “Gronk truly feel not just cog in machine.”
So you see? Communication and transparency is just that simple, and all it takes is a little bit of reaching out on our part. With any luck now, Karen in HR won’t be getting her head decapitated and put on a pike tonight.

Clark also told me about their planned corporate mountain cabin retreat, a welcome event for the fairies and werewolves, their culture seminars involving employees from all walks of life (or unlife), and their new recently developed “Mythical Understanding” department put in charge of developing these events in order to bring the company together. We can all learn a lot from the methods used by Clark’s company, and realize that there are always compromises and accommodations that can be made for all peoples, and that all it takes is a little bit of understanding of the impossibly absurd backgrounds that they now come from.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I thought i was the only person to have my real name synonymous with my forums one

FluffieDuckie

VideoGames posted:

Hello BYOB. I decided to come here and begin to read more jolly threads as I have slowly whittled through my bookmarks (I did not think that day would ever happen!) and I have been enthralled by all the wondrous projects and creativity here! This is a new boomark!

howdy and welcome!

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

vanisher

VideoGames posted:

:peanut:

vanisher

Putty posted:

I thought i was the only person to have my real name synonymous with my forums one

Putty's IRL name is Spackle

Scaly Haylie

Starman Super DX posted:

Posting on BYOB has really given me a chance to exercise my creative writing muscle- something I never really get to do. Making short to medium sized bursts of wit that can get a chuckle or two is a nice self-esteem booster and makes me feel more motivated to try bigger things.

Ironically I made comments disparaging "fun" school work the other day, but for some reason when I got assigned this "write a featured magazine article" I got this funny idea based on actual things companies do to adapt to workplace diversity. Admittedly, I don't think it's my best work technically because I was a little lazy, but I thought it was funny and wouldn't mind getting feedback aside from... whatever grade I might get. So enjoy. Or not.

That is excellent

Guillermus

VideoGames posted:

Glad having you around!

This thread is really cool. It shows people's creativity without fear of being rejected because this is the chill zone. The videogames thread is another good one too.

Thanks Manifisto for the cheesy goondue!

Starman Super DX

Lizard Wizard posted:

That is excellent

well at least someone enjoyed it. my humorless prof gave me a .68 and misunderstood the meaning of "farce".

Tell me more!

cda

by Hand Knit

Starman Super DX posted:

What class is "write a featured magazine article" an assignment for, and did they give you instructions about what a featured magazine article is supposed to look like?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
cda inspired me to write more poetry so namaste

cda

by Hand Knit

AverySpecialfriend posted:

cda inspired me to write more poetry so namaste

poetry is good. I submitted a poem to a contest today. I'm gonna lose :evilbuddy:

----------------

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
But what if, u won instead

Starman Super DX

cda posted:

What class is "write a featured magazine article" an assignment for, and did they give you instructions about what a featured magazine article is supposed to look like?

External communications and I'm a corporate comm major-
most of the people in my class are.
as far as I can tell there was nothing saying I couldn't do something silly or absurd as long as I did research and based it in some kind of reality. the issue that I took with how she grades it is that the assignment was meant to start with a real magazine, and since I don't read magazines or really consume any print media I took a Time magazine since that was on top of the pile of my dad's in the bathroom.
and so, as per the assignment, I wrotw an article as though it were published in Time... as if those events actually took place.

this was apparently beyond her as she asked why Time would publish such a thing and that The Onion would have been better suited...
:bang:

and again, why assign something "creative" and not relegated to my major if you're not even going to go easy grading it?

Tell me more!

cda

by Hand Knit

Starman Super DX posted:

External communications and I'm a corporate comm major-
most of the people in my class are.
as far as I can tell there was nothing saying I couldn't do something silly or absurd as long as I did research and based it in some kind of reality. the issue that I took with how she grades it is that the assignment was meant to start with a real magazine, and since I don't read magazines or really consume any print media I took a Time magazine since that was on top of the pile of my dad's in the bathroom.
and so, as per the assignment, I wrotw an article as though it were published in Time... as if those events actually took place.

this was apparently beyond her as she asked why Time would publish such a thing and that The Onion would have been better suited...
:bang:

and again, why assign something "creative" and not relegated to my major if you're not even going to go easy grading it?

these people don't understand projects! Buy your prof an account and I will taolk to her.

----------------

Starman Super DX

cda posted:

these people don't understand projects! Buy your prof an account and I will taolk to her.

Of course only your grade is the one that really matters!

Well unless I continue to do poorly...

I like how she gave me a lovely grade on this but my reading questions I got an A+ which I half-assed and didn't even technically complete. Penn State has the worst loving professors.

Tell me more!

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Starman Super DX posted:

Of course only your grade is the one that really matters!

Well unless I continue to do poorly...

I like how she gave me a lovely grade on this but my reading questions I got an A+ which I half-assed and didn't even technically complete. Penn State has the worst loving professors.

It's extra frustrating when someone gives you a great review on work that you knowingly half-assed but then the same person pans your work when you go above and beyond. It always made me wonder why I bothered. Still, it's not a complete waste. BYOB appreciates you.

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

alnilam

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Still, it's not a complete waste. BYOB appreciates you.

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?
This is a good thread :3:

I've always been super technical (lol goon) with engineering and cars and stuff, but I just started getting into spanish guitar and I have fallen in love with it. You can display so much emotion through flamenco.

I hope to get good enough to play in front of people some day but I'm far from that right now. Still, it's one thing I can get better at without deadlines and just for my enjoyment and I really like that.

cda

by Hand Knit

Adiabatic posted:

This is a good thread :3:

I've always been super technical (lol goon) with engineering and cars and stuff, but I just started getting into spanish guitar and I have fallen in love with it. You can display so much emotion through flamenco.

I hope to get good enough to play in front of people some day but I'm far from that right now. Still, it's one thing I can get better at without deadlines and just for my enjoyment and I really like that.

You ever heard Pepe Habichuela? That guy is good.

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?
nope im totally gonna google his rear end though

WindmillSlayer

Alright guys, I'm starting a project. I've decided to roll a cigarette. Please join me as I walk through the process.

Here's my current idea on how to make this happen.

1. Leave bed.
2. Find rolling papers.
3. Find tobacco.

This is where the project really starts. I'll update this thread when I've finished the first three steps. Don't worry! I'll post pictures so you can follow along.

WindmillSlayer

I haven't completed step one yet. Sorry for updating so quickly but I seem to having some issues motivating myself. I've taken a picture anyway.

deep dish peat moss

Make sure you don't get out on the wrong side.

WindmillSlayer

Finally left bed. It wasn't easy but I realized that if I didn't leave bed I would eventually become uncomfortable due to desire for cigarettes.

Step two has been pretty easy. I was out of papers but when I was in bed delaying the inevitable I glanced out the window and I'm pretty sure there's something useable outside.

IT'S IN OUR SIGHTS CAPTAIN!

You can really see why someone would just dump this on the street. It's full of horrible misprints like this.

I ripped out a few rectangles from it, roughly 1" by 2 1/2" each. I'm not sure I'm gonna get the rolling part done in a single try.

HOT TIP FOR PROJECTS!! Clean up as you work. If you just leave stuff sitting around, your creativity will be stifled by the junk!

WindmillSlayer

Alright I'm updating you all as the glue sets.

The materials needed:

In progres:

Waiting for it to dry!!!

So I finished my project :) Gonna smoke it as soon as the glue finishes drying! Thanks for going with me on this adventure.

TIPS AND TRICKS: Do not lay the glue gun down on the tablecloth while it heats, the tablecloth ends up burning a little and the fumes from it are NOT pleasant. Huffing them showed no result in my state of mind.

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
hahaha jesus rofl

alnilam

lol

Manifisto

hahaha jesus rofl

A4 Steak Sauce
Once this drat fall virus passes, I am gonna start carving another nightstick. Last one was an experiment (:v: "Is sugar maple hard enough to make a decent club, if even a tool handle?" :black101: "If you let it fully dry out, yeah, but it's too light for anything.")

This time I got some stock from a mulberry tree we had to cut earlier this year. The wood seems sturdy, and the section I have is quite heavy to boot. Just have to see how well it takes to chisels, knives and my handy-dandy, cheap-rear end-substitute-for-a-dremel and figure if it can be stripped, shaped, sanded, and given a fancy grip and lanyard.

vanisher

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

hahaha jesus rofl

deep dish peat moss

good project, windmillslayer

DrowningInDreams

Dilettante lizard
1. A biographical novella, loosely based on two previous largely biographical novellas I've written

2. A series of five video games, nominally about:

2a. Shooting people who try to argue with you, on behalf of an evil empire

2b. Dragons arguing

2c. Swords

3d. Black powder war

3e. Claustrophobia. With a dragon.

“Torn between violence and disillusionment, I seem to myself a terrorist who, going out in the street to perpetrate some outrage, stops on the way to consult Ecclesiastes or Epictetus” - Emil Cioran

DrowningInDreams

Dilettante lizard
Also, I think someone hijacked my account based on the number of posts I apparently have but I don't really care.

“Torn between violence and disillusionment, I seem to myself a terrorist who, going out in the street to perpetrate some outrage, stops on the way to consult Ecclesiastes or Epictetus” - Emil Cioran

cda

by Hand Knit
A game where you're trapped in a ruin/cave/castle/treasure hoard with a dragon a la Bilbo in The Hobbit sounds like it could be awesome :vd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
Yeah and the dragon knows you're there but is also very moody so like sometimes it wants to be your friend but then sometimes it tries to kill you

The real maze to navigate isn't the treasure labyrinth but the dragon's emotions

• Locked thread