Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Except opioid addicts (i.e. white people) are recognized as needing treatment, it's the crack addicts (i.e. black people) that should be permanently incarcerated/left to die in the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Except opioid addicts (i.e. white people) are recognized as needing treatment, it's the crack addicts (i.e. black people) that should be permanently incarcerated/left to die in the streets.

> points to piles of hot takes about how the government shouldn't pay for/use Narcan.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Titus Sardonicus posted:

This comic is titled "What If We Talked About White Poverty the Way We Talk We Talk About Black Poverty?"

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The older strips of BC were more edgy (admittedly, for the timeframe) and included a fair amount of social commentary. Of course, I'm talking about early to mid 60s. Long before he started putting young earth creationism into his comic strip about cavemen and dinosaurs.

And let's not forget how he managed to later wedge in a native American and an Italian stereotype. And showed the Italian to be Christian and worshipping the cross.

I guess the strip had been going on so long that it wasn't BC anymore...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Is this really how they see pragmatism, not as a focus on feasible ways to achieve change espoused by people who fundamentally agree with them, but as a dishonest effort to preserve the status quo espoused by people who are philosophical enemies? It would explain a lot. :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

e: I'm really tired and not expressing myself well and am in no shape to enter a debate or discussion rn

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 20, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Abyssal Squid posted:

I mean you're fine there, but it's super creepy when people use the exact same arguments that were used to justify war crimes during the Bush years. I don't personally think the post hoping Garrison suffers ironic punishment was over the line, but there should be a line somewhere and it's not a waste of resources to remind people of that.

"I don't personally care, but I'm *concerned* that other people might be upset." This is one step away from the puppetmaster defense.

Democrazy posted:

Of course Tinsley would worship a guy whose comic is more bland that Heathcliff.

Actually, Wizard of Id may have invented the snarky "look at the reader" response to a punchline that Tinsley uses so often. ("Invented" is probably too strong a word, but Id relies heavily on it.)

I'm starting to really hate Stiglich. He's just so bland and uncreative.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

loquacius posted:

e: I'm really tired and not expressing myself well and am in no shape to enter a debate or discussion rn

Same here, man. Tired and leftist.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Shangri-Law School posted:

Is this really how they see pragmatism, not as a focus on feasible ways to achieve change espoused by people who fundamentally agree with them, but as a dishonest effort to preserve the status quo espoused by people who are philosophical enemies? It would explain a lot. :(

Yep. I've been trying to organize my thoughts about how the far left seems to view outcomes as independent from process, and how "you can't get from here to there" is treated as a failure of imagination at best, and counterrevolutionary at worst, but sometimes there simply is no process that will achieve a certain outcome. For a hopefully uncontroversial example, there is no way to get North Korea to give up their nukes or their missiles now, because to do so would be to sign their own death warrant. Negotiations, sanctions, coercion nuclear war, Kim Jong Un isn't going to just roll over and die without putting up a fight.

A lot of people apparently liked this cartoon (I tried pulling it directly from twitter but there's no text hooks on the tweet and that account has a zillion posts so I'm not going to infinite scroll a goddamn month and a half back):

"Look how much simpler (and therefore better) it is when you just say what you want, and ignore the steps necessary for making that work!"

Like don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of public libraries, but subsidizing book consumption would be way simpler to implement than running public libraries. Both plans would require funding, but that's about all a well-designed subsidy would need. With libraries you need to build physical facilities, you need to decide where to build those physical facilities, you need to staff them, you need to decide what books to buy and how many, you need to decide when to remove books from circulation, and so on. That cartoon's probably the clearest example I've seen of "My ideas are better than yours because I'm counting on Implementation Fairies to make everything work" on the left. On the right, of course, we have Donald Trump promising endless winning and better health care, and of course Ronald Reagan's famous rebuttal to Jimmy Carter's health care proposal, "There you go again. :)"

(Here's some things that are great about public libraries: they're a public space, which is something American society desperately needs. They're a quiet public space. They're free to use, so you can explore lots of books with minimal investment. They're free to use, so children have access to books. Librarians are less mercenary than publishers so they're more likely to promote books on merit rather than profit. Librarians can help patrons research and guide them to books they might be interested in. Note how none of these things is "library systems are easy to set up and maintain.")

Jurgan posted:

"I don't personally care, but I'm *concerned* that other people might be upset." This is one step away from the puppetmaster defense.

I originally responded to someone who was yelling at someone else for thinking "you should be beaten until you suffer brain damage" was over the line, so it's not like I'm not bringing up hypothetical people out of nowhere.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

I don't want to get into the endless leftist vs. centrist argument, but I think you're misreading the comic a bit, at least the way I interpreted it it's not so much criticizing "pragmatism" as a concept, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the very selective application of the "but how will we pay for this policy?" angle of attack.

If your interpretation is correct, I'm still with Lubchansky though.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Abyssal Squid posted:

Yep. I've been trying to organize my thoughts about how the far left seems to view outcomes as independent from process, and how "you can't get from here to there" is treated as a failure of imagination at best, and counterrevolutionary at worst, but sometimes there simply is no process that will achieve a certain outcome. For a hopefully uncontroversial example, there is no way to get North Korea to give up their nukes or their missiles now, because to do so would be to sign their own death warrant. Negotiations, sanctions, coercion nuclear war, Kim Jong Un isn't going to just roll over and die without putting up a fight.

A lot of people apparently liked this cartoon (I tried pulling it directly from twitter but there's no text hooks on the tweet and that account has a zillion posts so I'm not going to infinite scroll a goddamn month and a half back):

"Look how much simpler (and therefore better) it is when you just say what you want, and ignore the steps necessary for making that work!"

Like don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of public libraries, but subsidizing book consumption would be way simpler to implement than running public libraries. Both plans would require funding, but that's about all a well-designed subsidy would need. With libraries you need to build physical facilities, you need to decide where to build those physical facilities, you need to staff them, you need to decide what books to buy and how many, you need to decide when to remove books from circulation, and so on. That cartoon's probably the clearest example I've seen of "My ideas are better than yours because I'm counting on Implementation Fairies to make everything work" on the left. On the right, of course, we have Donald Trump promising endless winning and better health care, and of course Ronald Reagan's famous rebuttal to Jimmy Carter's health care proposal, "There you go again. :)"

(Here's some things that are great about public libraries: they're a public space, which is something American society desperately needs. They're a quiet public space. They're free to use, so you can explore lots of books with minimal investment. They're free to use, so children have access to books. Librarians are less mercenary than publishers so they're more likely to promote books on merit rather than profit. Librarians can help patrons research and guide them to books they might be interested in. Note how none of these things is "library systems are easy to set up and maintain.")

I originally responded to someone who was yelling at someone else for thinking "you should be beaten until you suffer brain damage" was over the line, so it's not like I'm not bringing up hypothetical people out of nowhere.

Hey just replying to your post to let you know that you're a dipshit

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm sort of wondering why someone who obviously knows nothing about libraries and how they serve the public felt the need to give his opinion on the subject but hey - neoliberals.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

and yet

and yet

somehow we have libraries :wth:

The moral of that story, and of Lubchansky's cartoon, is that sometimes policies which actually dare to promise something real and tangible and usable and helpful to a lot of people really do include foolproof and feasible plans for implementation, and you'd know it if you bothered asking rather than delivering a one-liner about magic unicorn lollipop rainbow magic and incinerating them with your forehead laser

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Abyssal Squid posted:

You're taking a joke on Twitter and using it to build a strawman while simultaneously understanding why libraries are much more valuable than whatever tax break system you're thinking of.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Libraries are of course good, but it'd have been better to give tax credits to companies for making a lot of books because building libraries is hard" is what I would describe as a "galaxy-brain take"

and also, ironically, a failure of imagination at best and counterrevolutionary at worst

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

There's nothing wrong with promising sweeping reform that poses risk of being gunked up in process, there's also nothing wrong with being curious about process mechanisms.

There's something wrong with treating every question pertaining to the latter as an anti-sweeping reform conspiracy, and there's something wrong with being so hung-up on specifics that you fail to make a "this thing is good" case to voters.

I am happy with the Medicare-4-All bill, and I am annoyed with some of its I'm Being an Online Twitter Lefty Today proponents boiling its implementation down to "one neat trick for sexy abs" promises. (I mean, loving LOL at Ryan Cooper being all "no worries, folks, we'll just do jobs programs for people who lost theirs" when THAT WAS THE SAME loving THING YOU SAVAGED CLINTON FOR W/R/T THE COAL INDUSTRY.) But ultimately I'm the former the most. Yay Medicare-4-All, people should run on Medicare-4-All.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's not as if the left is bereft of implementation ideas, it's that you can't get a self-styled pragmatist to read a white paper seriously because of these knee-jerk reactions. I mean how many times have you heard some boomer telling you "that'll never work" in reference to progressive policy du jour?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Holy poo poo lol

Healthcare is not some magically fairy you Neoliberal shills, there's like 50 other countries with much better systems you can basically carbon copy

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

tyblazitar posted:

I don't want to get into the endless leftist vs. centrist argument, but I think you're misreading the comic a bit, at least the way I interpreted it it's not so much criticizing "pragmatism" as a concept, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the very selective application of the "but how will we pay for this policy?" angle of attack.

If your interpretation is correct, I'm still with Lubchansky though.

I may be misinterpreting him, but Lubchansky explicitly associating both with "pragmatism" is why I read it like that.

D.N. Nation posted:

There's nothing wrong with promising sweeping reform that poses risk of being gunked up in process, there's also nothing wrong with being curious about process mechanisms.

There's something wrong with treating every question pertaining to the latter as an anti-sweeping reform conspiracy, and there's something wrong with being so hung-up on specifics that you fail to make a "this thing is good" case to voters.

I am happy with the Medicare-4-All bill, and I am annoyed with some of its I'm Being an Online Twitter Lefty Today proponents boiling its implementation down to "one neat trick for sexy abs" promises. (I mean, loving LOL at Ryan Cooper being all "no worries, folks, we'll just do jobs programs for people who lost theirs" when THAT WAS THE SAME loving THING YOU SAVAGED CLINTON FOR W/R/T THE COAL INDUSTRY.) But ultimately I'm the former the most. Yay Medicare-4-All, people should run on Medicare-4-All.

Pretty much this.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There's a weird idea that more complicated ideas are actually better. Like it's ACTUALLY cheaper and more efficient to make a rube goldberg machine that subtly lowers the price of books than to just build a free books building. Of course that's not actually provable in any concrete way but if you look at these statistics you can see-

It keeps these programs safely enshrouded in political fog. It sounds complicated, so most people will be indifferent or vaguely supportive if the outcomes sound good. It also makes it easier to reduce things to political tribalism. Like how the policies of the ACA were wildly popular, but Obamacare was reviled.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Holy poo poo lol

Healthcare is not some magically fairy you Neoliberal shills, there's like 50 other countries with much better systems you can basically carbon copy

drat shots fired. Suck it neoliberals.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Also military spending in the US is to the nth power of insane, and the fact that no Democratic legislature of any clout spends the bulk of their time decrying it is a real bummer. On the subject of pipe dreams and such, defund the Pentagon entirely for one year and use the money to solve US poverty entirely, FFS.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I may be misinterpreting him, but Lubchansky explicitly associating both with "pragmatism" is why I read it like that.

Something I said in the post I edited out earlier is that people who are obsessed with calling everything magic unicorn magic fairy dust magic magic magic, regardless of its actual implementation details, like to describe themselves as "pragmatic" a lot, and to describe the act of shooting down every worthwhile proposal that actually helps people as "mature"

Begemot posted:

There's a weird idea that more complicated ideas are actually better. Like it's ACTUALLY cheaper and more efficient to make a rube goldberg machine that subtly lowers the price of books than to just build a free books building. Of course that's not actually provable in any concrete way but if you look at these statistics you can see-

It keeps these programs safely enshrouded in political fog. It sounds complicated, so most people will be indifferent or vaguely supportive if the outcomes sound good. It also makes it easier to reduce things to political tribalism. Like how the policies of the ACA were wildly popular, but Obamacare was reviled.

I've noticed this as well, and have been tempted to point out that this perception is the exact opposite of accepted engineering principles -- that the more moving parts something has, the more ways exist for it to potentially break and fail -- but was worried that analogy would be a little too :goonsay:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The pragmatist character in that cartoon does not represent the healthy vetting and skepticism that any new legislation should be subject to. It represents a population of pundits and voters that have been successfully inoculated against progressive policies while simultaneously numbed to expensive conservative policies.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

loquacius posted:

Something I said in the post I edited out earlier is that people who are obsessed with calling everything magic unicorn magic fairy dust magic magic magic, regardless of its actual implementation details, like to describe themselves as "pragmatic" a lot, and to describe the act of shooting down every worthwhile proposal that actually helps people as "mature"

I mean Bernie Sanders single payer plan had a well thought out and thorough plan to pay for itself.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

DariusLikewise posted:

Holy poo poo lol

And Lower Costs while we're at it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Despera posted:

I mean Bernie Sanders single payer plan had a well thought out and thorough plan to pay for itself.

And yet the Internet is still full of individuals, punditry, op-eds, and thinkpieces calling it unicorn fairy farts or whatever. Hence the "pragmatic" guy from the Lubchansky cartoon. It doesn't even matter what a progressive policy's implementation plan is; the conventional wisdom is that it necessarily has none. That's what we've been conditioned to believe.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

The pragmatist character in that cartoon does not represent the healthy vetting and skepticism that any new legislation should be subject to. It represents a population of pundits and voters that have been successfully inoculated against progressive policies while simultaneously numbed to expensive conservative policies.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

loquacius posted:

And yet the Internet is still full of individuals, punditry, op-eds, and thinkpieces calling it unicorn fairy farts or whatever. Hence the "pragmatic" guy from the Lubchansky cartoon. It doesn't even matter what a progressive policy's implementation plan is; the conventional wisdom is that it necessarily has none. That's what we've been conditioned to believe.

I was being sarcastic. Lol if you believe that poo poo. It had zero ways to pay for itself other than a drop in administrative costs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Why do all these comics over-label everything

Now let me drastically misinterpret this simple comic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Despera posted:

I was being sarcastic. Lol if you believe that poo poo. It had zero ways to pay for itself other than a drop in administrative costs.

It literally included a wealth tax, which is an idea that has never been tried before in this country.

Here, read the actual plan if you'd like, Literally The Pragmatist Character From That Lubchansky Comic Come To Life. :)

e:
https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

D.N. Nation posted:

Also military spending in the US is to the nth power of insane, and the fact that no Democratic legislature of any clout spends the bulk of their time decrying it is a real bummer. On the subject of pipe dreams and such, defund the Pentagon entirely for one year and use the money to solve US poverty entirely, FFS.

Hold on a minute.

*clears throat*

Why do you have freedom?

:fsmug:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

loquacius posted:

It literally included a wealth tax, which is an idea that has never been tried before in this country.

Here, read the actual plan if you'd like, Literally The Pragmatist Character From That Lubchansky Comic Come To Life. :)

e:
https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Dude that has as much detail as trump sending a post it note to congress saying "Wall". Yeah half a trillion miraculously saved by administrative costs. 50% income tax would go over well. Were you the intern who spent an hour writing that poo poo?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Despera posted:

Dude that has as much detail as trump sending a post it note to congress saying "Wall". Yeah half a trillion miraculously saved by administrative costs. 50% income tax would go over well. Were you the intern who spent an hour writing that poo poo?

loquacius posted:

It doesn't even matter what a progressive policy's implementation plan is; the conventional wisdom is that it necessarily has none. That's what we've been conditioned to believe.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I mean how does a country with 3.5 trillion/year in federal tax revenue and some of the lowest individual tax rates with loopholes for the rich manage to fund healthcare, it will be forever a mystery.:confused::confused::confused:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Details dont matter on a humor website message board but everyone losing their employer given health insurance might cause real world problems.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man conservative comic artists must think their audience is composed of utter morons

Now let me drastically misinterpret this blindingly obvious comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Why dont we just seize the means of production and enter full communism? Work out the details later.

• Locked thread