Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/910591867103805440

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/910593351233134593

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

https://twitter.com/derekbodnernba/status/910555003324166145

The fact they they are talking seems like good news

Colangelo also mentioned that there was "no setback" but that (and I'm interpreting here) they won't actually clear Embiid for 5x5 until the preseason.

Bubble wrapping this guy hard.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The new 3 alphas

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dejan Bimble posted:

Basically any trade has to be Ryno and some other stuff, because they don't have many legal to trade contracts on the roster at this moment.

I have read that they were refusing to trade Ariza, unfortunately I can't remember where and whether or not it was a remotely reliable source and not Burt Steele

It's possible they find a third team to take on Ryno. Could be part of the reason it's taken so long is because they're playing chicken with the one or two teams that will take on his contract.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

I'm assuming its something like "Extension now for a team-friendly deal. If you want a max let's see how you hold up this year" which is probably pretty reasonable.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I haven't seen much discussion of what a Houston NyNik trade looks like.

The Knicks could trade Courtney Lee and Carmelo for Eric Gordon, Ryno, and Shawn Long.
They Could trade Melo for Ryno and 3 of Houstons 1.3m guys.

Basically any trade has to be Ryno and some other stuff, because they don't have many legal to trade contracts on the roster at this moment. There's roughly .01% chance that Ariza is traded, because he unlocks their preferred style of play, and lets Melo be a nominal 3, which is important to him. When's the free agency trade thaw, like 3 months into the season?

I think Ryno has always been the trade piece by New York seems less than thrilled about that.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

euphronius posted:

Are there any rumors about how much they might offer?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Embiid contract will be interesting. I'm thinking 4 years $50-60 million?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Embiid's not taking Plumlee money. If they try and lowball him the contract would need to be way shorter.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The final year will also have to be a player option if they want him to take less money.

This will be a very interesting deal. I wonder how far apart they'll be on the initial offer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I still cannot believe Plumlee got that money in a market with no center spots available

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
If I'm Embiid then $80m/4yr would be what I'd take right now. Maybe something like 72m/4yr with a player option. Even if he has another season like last year where he only plays around 1000 minutes, next summer there will still be a team out there that will offer him 50m. Someone would roll the dice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What's the cap inflation equivalent to the deal Curry took? 4x80 sounds right around that ballpark, if he signs now. Though even that might be high. He has another season where he can't stay on the court I don't think any team would give him close to starter money.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Niwrad posted:

The Embiid contract will be interesting. I'm thinking 4 years $50-60 million?

I think Embiid's agent would probably spit on that offer if they're at all confident that he's healthy enough to play over half a season

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think Embiid's agent would probably spit on that offer if they're at all confident that he's healthy enough to play over half a season

The guy has played 31 games in 3 seasons and is not even cleared to play right now. They obviously have more info on his health situation than we do but I'd take $50-$60 million guaranteed in a heartbeat if I was him.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Niwrad posted:

The guy has played 31 games in 3 seasons and is not even cleared to play right now. They obviously have more info on his health situation than we do but I'd take $50-$60 million guaranteed in a heartbeat if I was him.

If the offer is 4/50 million then there is no way that all of that money is guaranteed. I think whatever contract they offer him will be heavy on incentives.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Niwrad posted:

I think at this point Embiid has bought into the hype so he will probably not be sensible.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think at this point Embiid has bought into the hype so he will probably not be sensible.

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
look how much money Nerlens Noel cost himself this offseason and now imagine he has an entire grocery store yell TRUST THE PROCESS at him every time he goes to buy toilet paper

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao at Embid not getting a max deal.

The Nets, the Magic and probably the Bulls would all throw a max at Embid in RFA

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Lmao at Embid not getting a max deal.

The Nets, the Magic and probably the Bulls would all throw a max at Embid in RFA

If he plays 82 games next season, sure.

If he plays 25 then a max contract, even a mini one, would be an albatross around the necks of those teams. You want to get fired as a GM fast, give 4 years x 150 million (the new mini-MLE) to a guy who doesn't get on the court.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you are a bad team anyway then who cares.

Those teams are 3-4 years away from having to pay anyone serious money. It's not likely to be an albatross

Unless you want to gamble on a group of free agents teaming up or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also 4/150 is the max for a second contract guy.

The rookie max is going to closer to 4/110

For non bird rights players.

Or rather 25% of the cap compared to 30% of the cap

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

If he plays 82 games next season, sure.

If he plays 25 then a max contract, even a mini one, would be an albatross around the necks of those teams. You want to get fired as a GM fast, give 4 years x 150 million (the new mini-MLE) to a guy who doesn't get on the court.

The Grizzles GM is still hanging around

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
who could have foreseen chandler parsons not panning out except anyone who looked at the MRIs of his knee and realized it was a pixel-perfect reproduction of a plate of scrambled eggs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Also 4/150 is the max for a second contract guy.

The rookie max is going to closer to 4/110

For non bird rights players.

Or rather 25% of the cap compared to 30% of the cap

Yeah I was thinking of the 5 year max, but still 25% of the cap is 25 million. Over 4 years with max raises it comes out to something like 115, with that final year being about 30 million. That is still going to be a lot of money if he really cannot stay on the floor.

That money is fine if the guy is a starter, but getting nothing for him will hurt a team. Look at what LA paid to get rid of Mozgov.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

Markieff Morris’s offseason has taken an unexpected and untimely turn.

The starting power forward for the Washington Wizards, currently on trial in Phoenix facing felony assault charges along with his twin brother, Boston Celtics forward Marcus Morris, and three other men, will soon leave the court room for an operating table.

Morris, 28, will undergo sports hernia surgery Friday in St. Louis, according to several people with knowledge of the situation. While the timeline for his return to basketball activities is undetermined until surgery is complete, it should be expected that Morris will miss at least Wizards training camp, which begins Tuesday in Richmond.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think the Sixers need to give him a lot. If he pans out and plays great next year, a rookie max isn't that big of a deal for a team that doesn't have any big contracts. If he doesn't, you're not on the hook for 75 more million.

I really hope he stays healthy and is as great as it looks like he can be. But the odds are not terribly high that a guy with a bunch of bad injuries to vital parts of the body at a young age is magically going to overcome them later on in his career.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiids cap hold is 18 mill next year so I'd assume their first offer started right around their (they want cap space next year) and then max raises to get true AAV over 20

I think 4 years 80 mill is reasonable for both sides

4 year player option most likely so they can readjust after three years .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I interpret colangelos comment to imply that embiid is not asking for a max.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

The new 3 alphas

I appreciate that this photo of Doug Collins is him slowly dying while watching Northwestern sweat it out against probably Rutgers.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Niwrad posted:

He's gonna break and not be fixable, and that is a nice chunk of change to limp off into the sunset with.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

No shut up embiid is playing all 82 baby

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

No shut up embiid is playing all 98 baby

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/910595132663111680

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I think this is my favorite dunk of the summer.

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/910258705060548608

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Phone posting but it looks like he doesn't touch the rim, ergo not a dunk

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Phone posting but it looks like he doesn't touch the rim, ergo not a dunk

He definitely gets a lil grab on it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Larry Sanders is blowing doja out of a baby bottle on periscope

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Markieff Morris got a sports hernia carting the huge wheelbarrow full of gold coins he and his brother are paying the two guys that are taking the fall for beating that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

I haven't seen much discussion of what a Houston NyNik trade looks like.

how

• Locked thread