Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Solo kid being named Ben has always (meaning less than 2 years) hinted at Luke's heavy involvement in his life from the beginning. He's been under a lot of pressure his whole life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

Boba Fett? He hardly qualifies. You're applying decades worth of fan service to him.

Qualifies for what? Do you have dementia?

You were trying to make a point that Pulpatine had a "notably undignified" death. I don't know what fan service has to do with anything. Did fans demand Boba Fett stumble into Goatse.cx?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

Qualifies for what? Do you have dementia?

You were trying to make a point that Pulpatine had a "notably undignified" death. I don't know what fan service has to do with anything. Did fans demand Boba Fett stumble into Goatse.cx?

Boba Fett never amounted to anything therefore he's not part of this conversation.

Pulpatine

Goate.Cx

Are you attempting some lame attempt at humor?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When I was a kid I thought Yoda was a human being and that's just what a human being would look like if they were so good with the Force that they lived to be 900 years old. I also thought the Emperor since we get to see him in person Return of the Jedi was like a few hundred years old.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

When I was a kid I thought Yoda was a human being and that's just what a human being would look like if they were so good with the Force that they lived to be 900 years old. I also thought the Emperor since we get to see him in person Return of the Jedi was like a few hundred years old.

Accreate.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Anyone else annoyed that Han and Leia named their son after:

a) someone Leia never met
b) someone Han only knew for like a hour.

Might as well have named him after Lobot.
At least they didn't name him Anakin, whose storyline was abruptly given to Jacen midway through the NJO series and he was killed off, much to a few authors' irritation

Although that may have been for the best

Yet here we are with yet another Anakin-In-Name-Only who is going around killing Jedi, so...

Ergh

No wonder the comics are currently in the middle of fleshing out the OT

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Did anyone else notice that Rogue One stole its ending from Spaceballs?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

Boba Fett never amounted to anything therefore he's not part of this conversation.

Pulpatine

Goate.Cx

Are you attempting some lame attempt at humor?

Ok I see what you are saying. Emperor Palpateens death was notable for being undignified as long as other deaths in the same movie aren't noted at all.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Davros1 posted:

Anyone else annoyed that Han and Leia named their son after:

a) someone Leia never met
b) someone Han only knew for like a hour.

Might as well have named him after Lobot.

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope" - someone who had never met Obi-Wan?

I mean there's a plot hole there due to the first film being written before things like "Obi-Wan had spend Luke and Leia's entire life on Tatooine," but evidently at some point he met Leia or something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Palpatine was in the middle of literally toasting the movie's main hero and Jesus character, and got interrupted when the single most impressive supervillain ever had a faceturn and Gorilla Pressed him down a bottomless pit in a storm of lightning. Undignified my rear end.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
Much love, SMG, but calling Palpatine "cool" is a sign you've officially lost touch with what "cool" is.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
On the other hand, Sheev "I am the Senate" Palpatine is easily the most well-known and loved character in all of star wars

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hodgepodge posted:

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope" - someone who had never met Obi-Wan?

I mean there's a plot hole there due to the first film being written before things like "Obi-Wan had spend Luke and Leia's entire life on Tatooine," but evidently at some point he met Leia or something.

I always thought Bail raised Leia on bedtime stories about how badass his old friend Jedi Obi-Wan was.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It is well established that Sheev is cool.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

I always thought Bail raised Leia on bedtime stories about how badass his old friend Jedi Obi-Wan was.

That's how it seemed. The message she sent wasn't like someone addressing someone they knew, only someone they knew of.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Especially given that she leads with "years ago you served my father in the clone wars and he begs you to help him again". That always made me assume that not only had Leia not ever met him, Bail hadn't actually seen him in person since that last scene of RotS

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Star Wars radio drama (posted in this thread) and Rogue One are of various levels of canon and relevance to a movie made in 1977, but the former has a few scenes in the royal court of Alderaan where Bail is telling Leia to find and recruit Kenobi, a Jedi he used to know. Obviously, it doesn't add much to what is shown in Leia's video in the movie, but it seems like she doesn't know him personally, just has been briefed on him.

On the other hand, when Luke busts her out of jail, he says he came with *Ben* Kenobi, and she yells "BEN KENOBI?!" and is totally with it. I always thought that was a bit of a mistake in writing, but thinking about it now, my head canon says that she is reacting in a "what the gently caress have you guys done, you brought the wrong Kenobi"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FunkyAl posted:

Did anyone else notice that Rogue One stole its ending from Spaceballs?

Suck! Suck! Suck!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've seen this floating around, but if it's real, he's since deleted the tweet.

edit: Since then, he's taken a more cautious approach.

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/s...ber-mark-hamill

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Would make sense; that's when the first full trailer premiered for TFA, along with tickets going on sale.

Incidentally, a goon from this thread alerted me when tickets went up a little early and I got mine before all the ticketing websites went to poo poo and all. If the same happens this year, I'll be rewarding whoever makes sure I get get tickets with some kind of forums upgrade. Because Star Wars is very important to me.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I am already pumped for that MNF GDT. Will it give us as much gold as last time?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

RedSpider posted:

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren was almost as cringe-worthy and awkward as Hayden Christensen's performance as Anakin in the prequels.
Yeah, but INTENTIONALLY.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe Lucas wrote a love story between an uplifted slave and a Queen of paradise and their interactions were accidentally awkward.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe Lucas wrote a love story between an uplifted slave and a Queen of paradise and their interactions were accidentally awkward.

For realz. I just can't buy that a mal-adjusted goon would grow up to be a Galactic rear end in a top hat who tortures his daughter and cuts off his sons hand. Anakin should have been more like Issac Hayes in shaft imho.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He didn't know she was his daughter when he Abu ghraibed her.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

euphronius posted:

He didn't know she was his daughter when he Abu ghraibed her.

My bad. I guess he just dismembered his son and then tried to force him to be Sheevs new boy-toy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

Much love, SMG, but calling Palpatine "cool" is a sign you've officially lost touch with what "cool" is.

wtf, Palpatine owns.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Paul Saltines all day e'rry day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
P-Spliffy will take you to the dank side.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I believe in Sheev.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There's a lot of stupidity in this thread but thinking Sheev "The Senate" Palpatine isn't a cool dude might just take the cake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My name is Sheev Palpatine, and I am the Senate, and a bona fide sith. ... And this right here, this is Darth Vader, and he's 7 foot tall, and you can't teach that!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

My name is Sheev Palpatine, and I am the Senate, and a bona fide sith. ... And this right here, this is Darth Vader, and he's 7 foot tall, and you can't teach that!

BADA BOOM, REALEST SITH IN THE ROOM! HOW YOU DOIN?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Boba Fett and his girlfriend Carmella.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Palpatine is really good in Return of the Jedi. Absolutely iconic performance.

It's really the perfect voice anything, like say, reading What Happened in, for example.

You abdicated your responsibility as a citizen at the worst possible time!
\

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Boba Fett is James Ellsworth in this scenario.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

:golfclap:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gonz posted:

Boba Fett is James Ellsworth in this scenario.

That was the idea. :hfive:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

That was the idea. :hfive:

Apologies. I've been drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sheev is your grandpa and grandpas aint cool this just goes to prove we got a bunch of old people in this thread

• Locked thread