Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Assuming that nothing is not an option, pan drippings is the best answer, possibly with a decent Dijon mustard actually from France

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Discendo Vox posted:

thread question: what goes best or worst on a steak? Assume "nothing" is not an option. Feel free to vary by cut and quality.

Best, especially for making a lovely cut like Chuck steak good : Coarse salt, cracked pepper, little bit of celery seed and Lea & Perrin's.

Worst : Canned nacho cheese sauce.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Best: finely chopped onion sauteed in a pan until caramelized, then soy sauce dropped in and stirred into the onion until deep deep brown.

Worst: raw tomato

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can not eat raw tomatoes, at all. I gag on them for whatever reason. Sauce, sure, but raw? gently caress that.

Liquid Communism posted:

Worst : Canned nacho cheese sauce.

Is this story time?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

iospace posted:

I can not eat raw tomatoes, at all. I gag on them for whatever reason. Sauce, sure, but raw? gently caress that.

Same. It tastes like soapy dishwater to me. And the seeds and stuff around them is really gross. As a kid, I used to clean lettuce and stuff that got seed gunk on it. These days I'm too lazy, but it makes me feel gross.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

very sad!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

A lovely perfectly ripe tomato is a great thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A tomato still hot off the vine is so good.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
How has nobody yet posted the correct answer which is bone marrow compound butter

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

Same. It tastes like soapy dishwater to me. And the seeds and stuff around them is really gross. As a kid, I used to clean lettuce and stuff that got seed gunk on it. These days I'm too lazy, but it makes me feel gross.

it's cool that you not only never grew up enough to escape your irrational childhood food aversions, but also just eventually became too lazy to even remember to care about them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A fresh tomato with salt is like, the simplest most delicious thing you can eat. It's probably the single best aspect about being alive from August-Sept.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
My favourite sandwich ever is nothing but vine-ripened tomatoes and homemade mayonnaise, salt and pepper. I get made fun of for it but man it's absolutely fantastic.

It's a mid-west thing I was taught with garbage tomatoes and wonderbread, but it turns out with excellent ingredients it's a loving amazing combo. Mayonnaise is exactly enough fat to take it from vegetable-only to god-tier.

If you have good quality tomatoes, absolutely try one with whatever mayo you have around. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 20, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

A fresh tomato with salt is like, the simplest most delicious thing you can eat. It's probably the single best aspect about being alive from August-Sept.

My parents have been growing tomatoes all summer and one of the biggest lessons I've learnt is just how poo poo store-bought tomatoes are. I mean like jesus christ, I'd barely even count them as the same vegetable. :psyduck:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mindphlux posted:

it's cool that you not only never grew up enough to escape your irrational childhood food aversions, but also just eventually became too lazy to even remember to care about them

I always assumed that was a genetic thing like supertasters and cilantro, or certain folks and asparagus. Genetics have a large role in taste already.

FWIW my father also can't stand raw tomatoes, though it's possible many people including him are full of poo poo

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

exquisite tea posted:

Or with a bit of pepper over a thin cheese slice on a cracker

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Loutre posted:

My favourite sandwich ever is nothing but vine-ripened tomatoes and homemade mayonnaise, salt and pepper. I get made fun of for it but man it's absolutely fantastic.

It's a mid-west thing I was taught with garbage tomatoes and wonderbread, but it turns out with excellent ingredients it's a loving amazing combo. Mayonnaise is exactly enough fat to take it from vegetable-only to god-tier.

If you have good quality tomatoes, absolutely try one with whatever mayo you have around. I promise you won't be disappointed.

You forgot the couple slices of thick cut, peppered bacon .

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Big fan of balsamic tomatoes or cottage cheese on tomatoes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mindphlux posted:

gently caress did I ever do to you? I don't like the taste, don't attack me for it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

phlux gon' phlux

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

My parents have been growing tomatoes all summer and one of the biggest lessons I've learnt is just how poo poo store-bought tomatoes are. I mean like jesus christ, I'd barely even count them as the same vegetable. :psyduck:

Neither store bought, nor home grown tomatoes are vegetables. :gary:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress did I ever do to you? I don't like the taste, don't attack me for it.

You're eating tomatoes wrong.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Casu Marzu posted:

Neither store bought, nor home grown tomatoes are vegetables. :gary:

Vegetable is a culinary classification, not a botanical one, and many fruits are in fact also vegetables. :colbert:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also twigs and berries are sometimes meat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iospace posted:

Is this story time?

I worked at a Dairy Queen in high school, with a bunch of stoners.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Liquid Communism posted:

I worked at a Dairy Queen in high school, with a bunch of stoners.

Was it cool?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Was it cool?

It wasn't bad. We listened to a shitload of ska, since that was the loving stone age.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also twigs and berries are sometimes meat.

:gary:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

yeah unless the subject is botany tomatoes are vegetables, nerds

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have people ask if we have fresh fruit at work on rare occasions (read: not enough to carry it). My go-to response is "are cut up tomatoes ok?"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
GWS General Chat: You're eating tomatoes wrong.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Home grown tomatoes are so completely different than store bought that there really is no comparison. If you're gonna garden, that's the first thing you should be growing. I'm not sure what else there is that is so drastically different (and better) when homegrown.

I don't eat supermarket tomatoes anymore. If I can't have homegrown then my burg will be tomatoless, and I simply will not BLT.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I too always thought raw tomatoes were poo poo until I ate farmer's market/home grown tomatoes. BLTs with peppered bacon, thick slices of salted tomato, crunchy lettuce and a nice slather of mayo are god-tier food, and it's all because of the good tomato. Sop up that pool of tomato juice on your plate with your last bites

I still remove almost all poo poo tomatoes from sandwiches when eating out.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

yeah unless the subject is botany tomatoes are vegetables, nerds
:wrong: if it has seeds, it's a fruit

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Home grown tomatoes are so completely different than store bought that there really is no comparison. If you're gonna garden, that's the first thing you should be growing. I'm not sure what else there is that is so drastically different (and better) when homegrown.

I don't eat supermarket tomatoes anymore. If I can't have homegrown then my burg will be tomatoless, and I simply will not BLT.

peaches

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

I always assumed that was a genetic thing like supertasters and cilantro, or certain folks and asparagus. Genetics have a large role in taste already.
There's no evidence of a link between quote supertasters unquote and cilantro preference. There's some on the subject of genetic factors in cilantro flavour perception: here's a study saying a variation in OR6A2 contributes to cilantro acceptance; here's a different study that points to TRPA1, GNAT3, and TAS2R50.

And it's worth pointing out that the association is pretty loving weak. The lead author of the first study, Nicholas Eriksson, on the subject: `it didn\'t make a huge difference in cilantro preference from person to person'.

This is contrasted with the much better evidence (in terms of breadth of study, number of independent reproductions, effect size, and so on) that environmental factors affect flavour preferences. So while it wouldn't be correct to suggest that there's no genetic component to flavour preferences (and it would be astonishing if there wasn't), it would also be incorrect to suggest that genetic factors determine flavour preferences. If anything, the data which show a link at all suggest the opposite conclusion.

Elizabethan Error posted:

Green beans, cukes, and eggplant as well.

Strawberries are an accessory fruit---the things on the outside most people think of as seeds are in fact individual fruits, and the fleshy part is properly called the receptacle. The receptacle is also the edible part of figs and pineapples.

Apples and pears are also accessory fruit, with the core being the true fruit and the edible flesh surrounding the core being the hypanthium.

Here endeth the lesson.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Also, ground cherries are a form of sandwich.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ground cherry is my nickname for pr0k's Mom, btw

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

SubG posted:

Also, ground cherries are a form of sandwich.

Ground cherries are cool and good until you grow them and have to peel enough to eat and then they are less cool and good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Wtf is a ground cherry?

It's late and I'm in my phone; Chana masala post to come tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Elizabethan Error posted:

culinarily speaking, a tomato is a vegetable. squash is a vegetable. bananas are a fruit. idk if there's a botany thread, but ...you wouldn't put tomatoes in a fruit salad, and dollars to donuts they're one of first things to toss into a vegetable soup