Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ClassH posted:

Yea but those gods were important. Renard just seems like an escaped convict.

His mother ruled the afterlife. However much power Renard himself wielded ultimately wouldn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just finished rewatching "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" and was itching for more magic shows, so i tried this out. It's better than I initially expected. They explained why the characters look older (grad school) but making Quentin into a chosen one that important characters talk about at the start is pretty obnoxious. And Alice's actress isn't selling her character at all.

Oh well, I'll probably watch some episodes out of a dearth of other things to see.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ccs posted:

I just finished rewatching "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" and was itching for more magic shows, so i tried this out. It's better than I initially expected. They explained why the characters look older (grad school) but making Quentin into a chosen one that important characters talk about at the start is pretty obnoxious. And Alice's actress isn't selling her character at all.

Oh well, I'll probably watch some episodes out of a dearth of other things to see.

Having read the books, I felt the same. But keep watching, they deal with this nicely.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
They they even acknowledge the book and it's differences at some point.

Separate spoilers to elaborate above minor detail so don't look if you don't want to know:
They acknowledge the time loops and have a throwaway line or two about some of the characters having different names "from before" so it's all worked in there about why they're older I would presume.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ccs posted:

Alice is the MVP :colbert: But really it's Penny, Alice has massive tits.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like the change to Penny, he's more interesting and fun this way. Whereas I don't buy that someone Alice's age could still act like that. But whatever.

I'm still watching parts of episodes, though sometimes I get halfway through and stop and go back and read a section of the book instead. Try to see if I can close the discrepancy of their depictions in my head.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Alice is the MVP :colbert: But really it's Penny, Alice has massive tits.

Penny was the hairy chest MVP, Alice was the other chest MVP

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I never really thought about the term "sweater puppies" since like middle school, and she doesn't even look like that in most of her other roles, but goddamn Alice

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's a handsome woman.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I realized part of why my image of Alice is off is because I always pictured her with black hair. Yet when I looked the text up online there's a a passage about a "curtain of blonde hair". So I was wrong.

But now there's official illustrations of Alice before the TV show with black hair and apparently one of the book's editions says blonde, the other black. Confusing.

Anyway I still can't seem to get into the show. I keep watching it in 10-15 minute spurts and getting bored or annoyed with some aspect and switching off. Oh well. It seems like a well produced show but something doesn't click with me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When does this start back up? I need some more Margot in my goddamned life.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Wikis claim 2018, and I'm hoping at early since the last two seasons were Dec '15 and Jan '17.

I miss Margot too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She really became the mvp of this show for me.

Josh is also fun.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Felicia Day got cast for season 3. I forget the spoiler status of this thread so I'll put it in spoiler Poppy, but any time she is in a show she seems to play Felicia Day so the character probably wont matter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't understand how Felicia Day keeps getting acting jobs.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Because the show runners worked on Supernatural with her.

By the way I still watch this show, but it's bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

But it's not.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It's bad in a good way. Season 1 it took itself too seriously, but season 2 it seemed much more self aware, and is now an absolute blast to watch. Maybe some day I'd like to see a big budget adaptation of the book more closely following the plot of the books, but for now, I'm perfectly happy with this really weird and fun TV adaptation.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihonniboku posted:

It's bad in a good way. Season 1 it took itself too seriously, but season 2 it seemed much more self aware, and is now an absolute blast to watch. Maybe some day I'd like to see a big budget adaptation of the book more closely following the plot of the books, but for now, I'm perfectly happy with this really weird and fun TV adaptation.

it's great in a good way, you premium cable types have a coke and a smile and shut the gently caress up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the show's just good. Never understood why people would choose to mitigate their compliments in its case.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Season 3 trailer.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-magicians-season-three-trailer-reveals-a-high-seas-1820616141

Comes back January 10th.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

"Oh, I am ready to go FULL ON '07 Britney!"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

"Oh, I am ready to go FULL ON '07 Britney!"
This is '07 Britney so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elueA2rofoo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I think the VMA performance is more infamous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udDlSRgyxMc

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Can't wait - I like what they've done here and not ignoring some of the bigger plots of The Magician King and instead making it a consequence of the first two seasons.

Not a major spoiler that stopped magic in S2 vs books:

In the books, Julia and her friends get magic turned off because when they accidentally summoned Reynard, they summoned all the gods ("When you summon one god, you summon all the gods") and magic threatens to go out on earth because they're found out. Not a consequence of killing a god.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Season 2 is on Netflix.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So is Alice not a niffin anymore because magic disappeared?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ccs posted:

No, because of things they do in S2.

I am looking forward to S3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ccs posted:

Are spoilers necessary for story events that aired a year ago?

They reunited her with her soul. So yeah, Alice is no longer an all powerful niffin.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Season 3 is one week from today!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Pre-purchased on Google Play. Very excited for uncommonly attractive people making bad decisions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well so far this seems to have picked right back up where we left it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Pre-purchased on Google Play. Very excited for uncommonly attractive people making bad decisions.

I'd forgotten how insanely attractive each and every cast member is

speaking of which, have we seen the woman talking to fogg before or was she new?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm wondering if they tried a version of that scene without the subtitles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How long will this quest take?

... a season.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

muscles like this! posted:

I'm wondering if they tried a version of that scene without the subtitles.

That was a great scene.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

How long will this quest take?

... a season.

That was brilliant.

mastershakeman posted:

speaking of which, have we seen the woman talking to fogg before or was she new?

she new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

God I've missed this show

"I am the Cock"