Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought the art made it very clear. once tyrannus' magic water wears off completely, he will turn into aunt may. it is the fate of all subterranean roman emperors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, Aunt May is right upstairs and probably in trouble, so it really shouldn't be a big deal for Pete to get out of this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So Tyrannus doesn't like, have any powers. There's no reason Spider-man couldn't just barge into his room and web him to the wall and achieve the same results.

The Question IRL posted:

I remember an episode of teenage mutant ninja turtles where at one point one of the turtles pulls a giant plug out of the sewer to drain away water to take out a bad guy.

Yeah but that was a comedy show, primarily. Newspaper Spider-man is high drama.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Lurdiak posted:

So Tyrannus doesn't like, have any powers. There's no reason Spider-man couldn't just barge into his room and web him to the wall and achieve the same results.

Clown 9 didn't have any powers and he beat Spider-Man.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Clown 9 didn't have any powers and he beat Spider-Man.

Excuse me, Clown 9 had the power of being motherfucking Clown 9

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

What happened to the runoff Fountain of Youth water when the plug was in there? The pool would eventually fill if there's a constant stream, so it must go somewhere.
Obviously it has one of these

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Lurdiak posted:

He must have something going for him. He managed to scare off Mole Man and his dreaded whacking stick after all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

It's like Tyrannus is Peter.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
*In Gauntlet Dark Legacy voice*

Tyrannus is about to die.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dementia's already setting in, hence the expositioning

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

RIP Tyrannus

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The fountain drained really fast

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Nope, still hearing him as Zapp Brannigan, and it's still the best thing :allears:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

There's something off about Tyrannus' color there...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure the last emperor of Rome wouldn't worship Jupiter.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure the last emperor of Rome wouldn't worship Jupiter.

He absolutely worships Jupiter. It's the reason for him getting more stupider.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Today in "Facts That may Only Interest Me", let's talk briefly about Romulus Augustulus, the last Western Roman Emperor. Romulus was, like most of the emperors of the terminal phase of the Western Empire, merely a hand puppet for whichever general happened to have the most troops around Rome at the time. In Romulus' case, that was his father Orestes. Romulus himself was 15 years old when he became emperor and his reign only lasted ten months from 475 to 476 before his father got ganked at the Battle of Placentia by the forces of the German mercenary, Odoacer. Odoacer was pretty tired of the whole ruins of an empire thing and basically said "gently caress all this", mailed the imperial regalia to Constantinople as a way of saying "ain't no Empire in Rome now" and set himself up as the first King of Italy. Surprisingly, Odoacer didn't bother killing Romulus, just kicked him out of town and set him up with an allowance to go live quietly in Naples. After that, he's pretty much missing from history. The house in Naples he lived in was converted to a monastery in 488, so some people speculate that Romulus was dead by then, but there are other records that suggest that as late as 507 he was still receiving his allowance from Theoderic the Great, the guy who assassinated Odoacer at a banquet and took over Rome in 493.

So sure, I guess in 508 at the age of 48, Romulus decided that this aging thing sucked and went underground to find the Fountain of Youth after changing his name to Tyrannus for some reason. :agesilaus:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Turns out "Romulus" means pig fucker in Moloid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

He absolutely worships Jupiter. It's the reason for him getting more stupider.
Without Kala's diploma this statement is meaningless.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

jng2058 posted:

Today in "Facts That may Only Interest Me", let's talk briefly about Romulus Augustulus, the last Western Roman Emperor. Romulus was, like most of the emperors of the terminal phase of the Western Empire, merely a hand puppet for whichever general happened to have the most troops around Rome at the time. In Romulus' case, that was his father Orestes. Romulus himself was 15 years old when he became emperor and his reign only lasted ten months from 475 to 476 before his father got ganked at the Battle of Placentia by the forces of the German mercenary, Odoacer. Odoacer was pretty tired of the whole ruins of an empire thing and basically said "gently caress all this", mailed the imperial regalia to Constantinople as a way of saying "ain't no Empire in Rome now" and set himself up as the first King of Italy. Surprisingly, Odoacer didn't bother killing Romulus, just kicked him out of town and set him up with an allowance to go live quietly in Naples. After that, he's pretty much missing from history. The house in Naples he lived in was converted to a monastery in 488, so some people speculate that Romulus was dead by then, but there are other records that suggest that as late as 507 he was still receiving his allowance from Theoderic the Great, the guy who assassinated Odoacer at a banquet and took over Rome in 493.

So sure, I guess in 508 at the age of 48, Romulus decided that this aging thing sucked and went underground to find the Fountain of Youth after changing his name to Tyrannus for some reason. :agesilaus:

Or, in 488, to fund his expedition he sold his pad, and in 508 he just stopped having his mail forwarded.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Doing some ceremonial work for a year and then retiring to a castle in southern Italy at sixteen, plus a pension seems like a pretty sweet life plan.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So was this strip always this crazy, or did it start serious (by comic book standards)? And, if the latter, is there a point where you can say 'the ride started here'?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I don't know how long it's been in print, but if it existed back in the silver age, it certainly never left it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

SilverSupernova posted:

I don't know how long it's been in print, but if it existed back in the silver age, it certainly never left it.

1977, and it was pretty crazy back then too

That's actually one of the earliest strips, from January of that year. Forgive the goofy watermark.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nsm was never meant to be a joke. it'd be less funny if they were doing it on purpose I think

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lightning Lord posted:

That’s actually one of the earliest strips, from January of that year. Forgive the goofy watermark.

Somehow that speech to the UN doesn't seem all that crazy these days :sigh:

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 21, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Somehow that speech to the UN doesn't seem all that crazy these days :sigh:

Oh, the crazy part is Kissinger looking crestfallen instead of super eager to work with DOOM

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That art though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lightning Lord posted:

That's actually one of the earliest strips, from January of that year. Forgive the goofy watermark.

"Life is a joke!" has got to be a top contender for thread title.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The amazing recap day

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't believe spider-man didn't get owned by a pile of rubble he dropped on his own head

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can't believe spider-man didn't get owned by a pile of rubble he dropped on his own head

It's still too early for such claims.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe the cave-in is following him, waiting for its chance to strike

after getting home after all this nonsense, peter lies down in his bed with a tired sigh. he looks up at the ceiling... and it falls on him. rip

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The cave-in has detected its natural foe, the underground version of Spiderman(aka Tyrannus) & has allied with Aboveground Spiderman to take him down.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe the cave-in is following him, waiting for its chance to strike

after getting home after all this nonsense, peter lies down in his bed with a tired sigh. he looks up at the ceiling... and it falls on him. rip

i've had that happen to me and it is not a fun time

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Push El Burrito posted:

That art though.

Back when they had one of the best spider-man artists instead of the intern they pay in meth that they currently use

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Not going to lie, it is pretty nutty that John Romita was drawing a newspaper comic strip. I really do need to buy those collections of the first seven years or so of the strip.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Not going to lie, it is pretty nutty that John Romita was drawing a newspaper comic strip. I really do need to buy those collections of the first seven years or so of the strip.

Comic books and adventure strips used to share some of the same talent, like Mike Grell, Gil Kane and Gray Morrow did the Tarzan strip for years. You also have guys like Russ Manning who were primarily strip artists but did lots of comic books too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think it's easier to contextualize in a pre-digital era where periodicals, newspapers, and comics were dominant forms of mass media with comparably huge audiences and thus the capacity to share/utilize high level talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

comic strips don't have to have bad art. at times they've been pretty great looking even, like calvin & hobbes

• Locked thread