Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tokimeki Crush no Keith Courage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Chiki Chiki Densetsu no Daibouken Monogatari

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Is this not the same collection available on the 3DS in Japan?

This one also has the NES versions and online multiplayer, and is on systems that aren't region-locked.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I really want these headphones to exist, but their Kickstarter doesn't look like it's going to hit the goal, or even come close.

They would go so well with my Vans NES shoes, too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TVs Ian posted:

Nerd.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ill buy em if the cans mold is sourced from that one handed snes control.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TVs Ian posted:

I really want these headphones to exist, but their Kickstarter doesn't look like it's going to hit the goal, or even come close.

That's weird, it looks like the right intersection of useless gadget and tacky retro-themed tat that should bring in big crowdfund dollars.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

BattleMaster posted:

That's weird, it looks like the right intersection of useless gadget and tacky retro-themed tat that should bring in big crowdfund dollars.

I know, you'd figure with the SNES Classic out next week, it'd get some attention.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

In a matter of days, this will arrive in my mailbox:

http://www.vectrexmulti.com/

I will have to determine whether I want to buy original overlays, make my own overlays, or pay someone to reproduce them.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just pulled this baby out of the electronics recycling at work:

Ordered up a scart to BNC plugs adapter from Retrogamingcables.co.uk, can't wait to try it out!

I tested it with an old laptop and S-video, so I know it works.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

TVs Ian posted:

BattleMaster posted:

I thought the same, but then I saw they're asking for $100k

That's just too much drat money for something that only the nerdiest of nerds would wear in public

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have 5 tattoos and 3 of them are visible on any given day. The two that are most prominent are a Colorado flag on my left forearm and a super famicom controller on my right forearm. The other visible one is a diagram of an engine rotor from a wankel rotary engine on my right calf. I've had the controller on my arm for about a year. I get more comments on that one (and they are all positive) than I have ever received about all of my others combined over the past 10 years I've had tattoos. I get a comment on it from random people usually every day. People think the design of that controller is cool. I don't think those headphones look as nerdy as lots of people here think they do. I'm not interested in giving them money, but I do think they are pretty cool.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Those are pretty cool headphones, but yeah asking for almost a hundred grand is kinda pushing it.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

evobatman posted:

Ordered up a scart to BNC plugs adapter from Retrogamingcables.co.uk, can't wait to try it out!

Hell yeah

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Received my N64 today pretty psyched! It came with Goldeneye, Rogue Squadron and Pokemon Stadium plus transfer pack, I'm not a Pokemon guy so that will probably get sold.
Tested it all out on my 14" CRT just waiting on a composite lead and upscale so I can rig it to my HDTV.

Does anyone know what sort of discount the everdrive goes for on Black Friday??? I'm trying to decide if I wanna order one now or wait until then

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Received my N64 today pretty psyched! It came with Goldeneye, Rogue Squadron and Pokemon Stadium plus transfer pack, I'm not a Pokemon guy so that will probably get sold.
Tested it all out on my 14" CRT just waiting on a composite lead and upscale so I can rig it to my HDTV.

Does anyone know what sort of discount the everdrive goes for on Black Friday??? I'm trying to decide if I wanna order one now or wait until then

I'm pretty sure it was 10% off last year.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

I'm pretty sure it was 10% off last year.

So not actually a huge amount then, think I'll go ahead and order, it comes to about £85 which is considerably less than what actual carts for all the games I want would cost.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
They were 20% off for black Friday.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Not really retro but I just bought a PS3, can’t wait to dive into the library. Staying a generation behind is the way to go.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Not really retro but I just bought a PS3, can’t wait to dive into the library. Staying a generation behind is the way to go.

Just got mine last year, love it. I highly recommend the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, the Yakuza games, Catherine, Binary Domain, and both Hot Shots Gold games. Staying a generation behind is the true way of the thrifty retro gamer.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

TVs Ian posted:

I need new bluetooth headphones for my desk, but my big head doesn't fare comfortably with on-ear headphones. If these were over-ear I'd bite.

evobatman posted:

What monster would recycle that? People....

Gaz2k21 posted:

Goldeneye and Rogue Squadron are definitely 2 of the best for the system. Why not do S-video and upscale? RGB and upscale or just going Ultra HDMI would be best, but then you are talking $100's.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

mariooncrack posted:

They were 20% off for black Friday.

Dammit I've just ordered one

Oh well I'm sure it'll be worth it

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Spoderman posted:

Just got mine last year, love it. I highly recommend the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, the Yakuza games, Catherine, Binary Domain, and both Hot Shots Gold games. Staying a generation behind is the true way of the thrifty retro gamer.

MGS was on my list but the others weren’t, I’ll have to check them out. The system came with Uncharted 1 + 2 and both Infamous games, so those are first up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

MGS was on my list but the others weren’t, I’ll have to check them out. The system came with Uncharted 1 + 2 and both Infamous games, so those are first up.

I think someone is obligated to say the Souls games, so that's out of the way. I'll point out that Katamari Forever is the previous gen Katamari game to get and not that lovely Beautiful Katamari which had less content than the first game and put a third of the game as on disk DLC (most of the DLC levels are just in Katamari Forever normally).

Oh, and you have to get the Railfan games. :v: I just want him to look up the prices and then freak out.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Random Stranger posted:

I think someone is obligated to say the Souls games, so that's out of the way. I'll point out that Katamari Forever is the previous gen Katamari game to get and not that lovely Beautiful Katamari which had less content than the first game and put a third of the game as on disk DLC (most of the DLC levels are just in Katamari Forever normally).

Oh, and you have to get the Railfan games. :v: I just want him to look up the prices and then freak out.

Beautiful Katamari was a 360 exclusive

And yes, it did suck, a lot

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol that’s kinda awesome.

I bet they charged 10k for that drat thing too.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Between this and the Dental unit that used the Atari Jaguar shell...

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

Solid games to start off with, Uncharted 1 and 2 I would say are fine playing back to back. However, playing the Infamous games back to back would get repetitive. So I'd recommend grabbing The Last of Us or Uncharted 3 to play between the Infamous games.

Some of these are cross platform (and may perform better on 360 or PC) and/or HD remasters, but I'll list them anyway:

If you like FPS games, the Resistance games are decent, as are the Bioshock games, so is Bulletstorm, and so are the Borderlands games, and Metro Last Light.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is a great game that flies under the radar, I played it on 360 and have it on Steam, but it was also on PS3. A must play in my book.

Then you have GTA4 + DLC and GTA5.

Red Dead Redemption.

LA Noire

The Orange Box and Portal 2.

Mass Effect Trilogy.

I wish I could recommend a PS3 era Final Fantasy game, but I can't. I'd just recommend the FFX HD release. But as far as other RPG's, you have Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout3, Dragon Age Origins and DA2, Demon Souls, etc. I didn't play many JRPGs on the PS3, but you can find recommendations for those, I think Ni No Kunki gets a lot of praise.

3dot game heroes is fun.

God of War Origins has the first 2 games in HD. God of War 3. God of War Ascension, etc.

Batman Arkham games

Assassin's Creed and AC2 are great. I'd recommend getting the first one and the Ezio Trilogy (AC2, AC2 Brotherhood, and AC2 Revelations). AC3 is skippable. AC4 was fun. After that, the games stop being worth playing.

Gran Turismo 5 (was a big fan of 6).

Indie games like Hotline Miami, Journey, Spelunky, Braid, Shovel Knight, etc.

I could go on, but this is getting long.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Rirse posted:

Is this the September batch or October? I'm part of the later batch.

September.

I had mine shipped to a friend outside of London and now it's on its way by plane to me here in Vancouver. :)

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

If that is even real and not a joke, I hope those were sourced from Nintendo and not taken from functional GBA's... that poo poo gets my blood boiling more than it should.

Calm down...1...2..3...4....

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Here's a tries-to-be-but-is-half-assed-and-therefore-definitely-incomplete list of PS3 games without PC/PS4 versions, unless there's some good reason to consider the PS3 version in lieu of those. Not all games are good, and some are in fact bad.

3D Dot Game Heroes
50 Cent Blood on the Sand (has achievements on 360)
Afrika (rare/expensive)
Bomberman Ultra
Catherine (360 version is Backwards Compatible on Xbox One)
Demon's Souls
Disgaea 3 and 4 (upgraded versions of these are on PSVita)
Disgaea D2
Drakengard 3
Folklore
Gods of War before III, plus Ascension (all are on PSNow)
Gran Turismo 6 (also GT5 but ehhh, expect both games to take forever to install/patch)
Heavenly Sword (on PSNow)
ICO HD
all Infamous games other than Second Son and First Light, on PSNow
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle
Katamari Forever
Killzone Trilogy
Lair
The Last Guy
LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Lollipop Chainsaw
Mass Effect Trilogy
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 HD
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Motorstorm (series)
NHL Legacy Edition
Ni No Kuni 1
Persona 4 Arena series
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Puppeteer
Rain
Ratchet and Clank games before the most recent one (on PSNow)
Red Dead Redemption (although 360 version is backwards-compatible on Xbox One and performs better)
Resistance (series)
Ridge Racer 7
Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! (Japanese-only)
a few Saint Seiya games
Singstar (has sideload options the PS4 version doesn't have)
Siren: Blood Curse
Skate 2
Skate 3 (360 version is backwards compatible on Xbox One)
Sly Cooper (series)
a few SOCOM games
Sonic the Hedgehog a.k.a. Sonic 06, 360 version has achievements
SoulCalibur 2 HD (360 version is Backwards Compatible)
SoulCalibur 4 and 5
Spelunker HD
Starhawk
Street Fighter III: Online Edition, on PSNow
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, on PSNow
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
Tales from Space: About a Blob
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tekken 5
Tekken 6
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (on PSNow, 360 version is backwards compatible on Xbox One)
Twisted Metal (2012), on PSNow
TMNT: Turtles in Time 3D Remake (de-listed)
Uncharted 3 Multiplayer
Virtua Fighter 5
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 5
You Don't Know Jack (the 360 version supports "game show"-style controllers, albeit has an incorrect button prompt for screwing others)
White Knight Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles II
Zone of the Enders HD

Some sports games support up to 7 players. Although PES on Xbox One supports 8 players, all other sports games on newer systems max out to 4 players locally.

Especially for desert island/cabin in the woods situations, there are some games which are available on PS4 where the PS3 version is still surprisingly capable. For some of these there's a lot of talk about performance being garbage but it's really not that bad.

Destiny (needs an internet connection and a one-time beefy 8 gig+ patch, if you never played on PS4 before you can later one-time migrate your PS3 characters to the PS4 version)
Diablo 3 and Diablo 3: ultimate Evil Edition
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Grand Theft Auto V (the disc version performs better than the digital version)
Jackboy Party Pack Volumes 1 and 2 (needs an internet connection with wireless but can be a poo poo connection)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain
Minecraft
MLB The Show 16

There's a whole bunch of other stuff but you can probably figure those out if you know what you want.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I forgot Heavy Rain

edited: forgot you had conditions on your list

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 21, 2017

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Heavy Rain had a really good LP on here a few years ago where it would show you all of the outcomes from the events and ultimately pick the "best" one for the actual progression. i had a lot more fun watching that than playing the game imo

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Might as well share this here too.

https://twitter.com/JanHenrikH/status/910754596422868992

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Thanks for the PS3 recs guys. I love the amount of compilations on this system! I don't have a gaming PC so in addition to the console exclusives I'll be grabbing stuff that I've always wanted to play like Borderlands, Fallout, Deus Ex, South Park.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

PS3 recomendations I haven't seen mentioned:

Dragon's Dogma
Trails of Cold Steel 1&2
Nier (Often disliked)
Eternal Sonata
Valkyria Chronicles
Under Night In Birth
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Someone posted it above, but thanks for raising my blood pressure again... haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

PS3 recomendations I haven't seen mentioned:

Dragon's Dogma
Trails of Cold Steel 1&2
Nier (Often disliked)
Eternal Sonata
Valkyria Chronicles
Under Night In Birth
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max

If you're going to pick up UNIEL be aware that the new arcade revision came out in July on consoles, including PS3, UNIEL[st]. That would be the one to get, although currently it's only available in Japanese. There's a NA localization coming out at some point but I don't think it has a date yet, and idk if they're bringing out the PS3 and Vita versions.

• Locked thread