Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

thats not candy posted:

I also gave my hvar sabre a whirl and the most I could do was knock out gun breeches on t-55/t-62/t-64's when penning their turret or roof area. Never got an ammo rack, but I didn't waste my time and just went for track assists and hull breaks on light tanks and spaa.

I managed to pop a T-10M last night flying the F-86F-30 so they still work in theory, but I'm super bad at this (especially in SB) and just unloaded 4 of them in one pass and the other 12 in the next, and have no idea where the killing rocket hit. Earlier I did a few passes on Obj 906s with less success so maybe it'd be a better time investment to get good with dropping the bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

ArchRanger posted:

You joke but it might actually be fun to fly a spotter plane with smoke bombs and flares. I dunno how to track how much of a pain in the rear end you are to award RP though.

when sim tanks was still fairly new you could just shoot down the 3 people in the sky and literally orbit over your squad mate for the remainder of the round telling him exactly where the enemy tanks were

i think this is a big reason why the plane map and tank map had 2 different images/scales because it was essentially wallhacks

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Acting as a spotter from the air now is actually useful, I just want to be an annoying rear end in a top hat dropping smoke screens in frustrating positions. Could maybe do it with one of the low-tier Brit tanks with a high RoF and smoke shells.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

One of the best things you can do is spot enemy tanks with your guns. It's really nice to know where the nearly entirely hidden bush snipers are, for example. Or the ones moving around the flanks.

Also, still seeing plenty of people get CAS'd in RB. Rockets still seem to work, just not every time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Warbadger posted:

One of the best things you can do is spot enemy tanks with your guns. It's really nice to know where the nearly entirely hidden bush snipers are, for example. Or the ones moving around the flanks.

Also, still seeing plenty of people get CAS'd in RB. Rockets still seem to work, just not every time.

This goes double for anyone flanking. Anything fast enough to flank likely has thin as gently caress armor that your main guns can chew through, especially from above.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Definitely nothing wrong with the M36's M82 round, didn't try anything else yet though. I realize now the research penalty from 4 to 6 is actually a thing again tho, which sucks.

Also the Brits at 5.7 have become the new liability from these last few games, if you get them vs the Germans/Russians it seems like no Brit tank is aware of how to kill a T-34/85s gunner in time.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 20, 2017

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Deaths to rockets since the patch: 0
Deaths to planeguns and cannons: 0
Deaths to suicidebombers: 4

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 20, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Mazz posted:

Definitely nothing wrong with the M36's M82 round, didn't try anything else yet though. I realize now the research penalty from 4 to 6 is actually a thing again tho, which sucks.

Also the Brits at 5.7 have become the new liability from these last few games, if you get them vs the Germans/Russians it seems like no Brit tank is aware of how to kill a T-34/85s gunner in time.

I don't know who was going on about M82 being bad, it's still superb and will KO nearly everything in one shot. Maybe they've been confused about what was loaded at the time?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

I don't know who was going on about M82 being bad, it's still superb and will KO nearly everything in one shot. Maybe they've been confused about what was loaded at the time?

Is M82 the HEATFS round? I mean, I'll take the overpenning on low tier tanks argument but that doesn't really change the fact that the area of its shrapnel is tiny for anything I shoot at in my tier :shrug: It's also the M46 not the M36 in case that makes any difference at all.
I'm still mad about shrapnel hitting ammo without the ammo exploding anyway. I guess I'll try to play tanks even though tanks are bad, maybe it works now.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 20, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

GrossMurpel posted:

Is M82 the HEATFS round? I mean, I'll take the overpenning on low tier tanks argument but that doesn't really change the fact that the area of its shrapnel is tiny for anything I shoot at in my tier :shrug: It's also the M46 not the M36 in case that makes any difference at all.
I'm still mad about shrapnel hitting ammo without the ammo exploding anyway. I guess I'll try to play tanks even though tanks are bad, maybe it works now.

No, M82 is APHEBC. You're thinking of either M348 or M431.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Someone took the time to chart the number of vehicles and average RP for tier.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QTAhUQZR-ZxK8SxyP9zBuUEWKGqpMQ_L5NDjjInZXsE/edit#gid=562599971

End results:
Tanks are 54.51% more expensive than planes
There are 149 more planes than tanks

Holy poo poo.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Tanks sucks 545.1% more than planes and I have 149 other methods of self-torture to do if I quit tanks, so the math checks out. I'm tired of getting uptiered and clubbed, no matter how poo poo results I put in I keep on getting the full +1 where applicable, whereas in planes it's mainly up to the pilot, and right now queueing anything but the US. NAVAL NEWS ON SATURDAY FROM TGS PLEASE ANTON. :argh:

e: having chains of shittiest poo poo rounds where my team melts in minutes and my all-stock hardmode poo poo vehicle rocks the other team, but I guess the useful players are grinding their asses off instead of playing fun tier

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 20, 2017

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ahaha after some quick testing it seems that APHE does a real number on the MBT-70's spaced armor. Even BR-412D (the best100mm APHE) can penetrate it and it seems a lot of the damage is done from the HE shock being "inside" the tank, particularly with the BR-472 (T-10M APHE).

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Azran posted:

Someone took the time to chart the number of vehicles and average RP for tier.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QTAhUQZR-ZxK8SxyP9zBuUEWKGqpMQ_L5NDjjInZXsE/edit#gid=562599971

End results:
Tanks are 54.51% more expensive than planes
There are 149 more planes than tanks

Holy poo poo.

CONFIRMED: Airplanes are superior to tanks.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

BadOptics posted:

not just in every way aesthetically, but statistically as well 🤔

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lmao i love how they add a n o t h e r low-tier Italian bomber which is basically the same as every other Italian bomber until the P.108 except this time it's really really really slow.

Give us the Re.200x series fighters gently caress

e: like the only reason I see they added it was because the BR.20 is actually a good bomber and much better than the SM.79

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BadOptics posted:

it owns that gaijin actively punishes the tanks playerbase at every turn

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

it owns that gaijin actively punishes the tanks playerbase at every turn

Literally. Every time you turn, you grind to a miserable pace and possibly get shot from behind a bush.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Got my T-64A :toot:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Is it good? How does it compare to the T-62?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Recoome posted:

From what I've read, the reverse speed is only a fourth of what it should be, and the APFSDS is underperforming pretty badly. Based on the clue in the name: (1971, there's probably going to be an upgrade for it announced sooner than later with better shells and reverse speed. Armor is ridiculously good still, and the shells only have trouble when firing at a Chieftain Mk.10 turret.

I'll still try to unlock it after the KPz-70, if I can do so before the talisman sale and if Gaijin doesn't announce something for Japan. Flaws or not, it has rad-as-heck sound effects for the cannon and engine.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Recoome posted:

It is loving amazing. I dropped gold to get a talisman, FPE, Parts, Tracks and the improved APFSDS ammo. First match I take it out on was Mozdok and I think I tankgasmed.

6 kills, 3 assists, one capture. Those three numbers aren't that impressive, but for me it was all just so smooth. The tank goes really drat fast, handles well and the gun is amazing. I didn't get shot at much, maybe once or twice so I can't comment on that yet. If you like the T-62, you'll fall in love with the T-64.

Sard posted:

From what I've read, the reverse speed is only a fourth of what it should be, and the APFSDS is underperforming pretty badly. Based on the clue in the name: (1971, there's probably going to be an upgrade for it announced sooner than later with better shells and reverse speed. Armor is ridiculously good still, and the shells only have trouble when firing at a Chieftain Mk.10 turret.

I'll still try to unlock it after the KPz-70, if I can do so before the talisman sale and if Gaijin doesn't announce something for Japan. Flaws or not, it has rad-as-heck sound effects for the cannon and engine.

Currently, the APFSDS seems to be working juust fine for me.

Also it lacks an authentic 5TDF sound :argh: It should be like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8oOA1a9eHg&t=439s

Also, here's a cool Russian (with english subs) documentary short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb81zYvlg70

Get hype! :ussr:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Well it's good to know Gaijin are still amazingly stupid at events. The USAF one takes place during the work week, so what few players are on are all queued up as US. Why they didn't hold this last weekend eludes me as it's all free poo poo, so there's no real profit motive.

Edit: Even the UI guy's changes make more sense.

Sard
May 11, 2012

While we're talking hype and comparing tier VI tanks, it's important to note the most important metric by far is how how closely a tank aligns with a giant robot from a giant robot anime. Because the MBT-70 is basically an MS-09 Dom from Gundam, it is in fact the best tier VI tank at the moment.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BadOptics posted:

Well it's good to know Gaijin are still amazingly stupid at events. The USAF one takes place during the work week, so what few players are on are all queued up as US. Why they didn't hold this last weekend eludes me as it's all free poo poo, so there's no real profit motive.

Edit: Even the UI guy's changes make more sense.

And the plane you get is a knockoff XP-50 which just got nerfed to poo poo. This is how you get people to play your game :eng101:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Having tried it out on live now HESH is actually worthless after that nerf. Unless you're flat-on on a flank it's just not going to pen anything it faces. Brit tanks just went from being kinda overpowered to almost helpless against Russians. Back to being unable to hurt an IS-6 from the front thanks to invulnerable optics!

I literally grinded out the Brit tree just to have something that could hurt the IS-6 reliably, this blows.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Sard posted:

While we're talking hype and comparing tier VI tanks, it's important to note the most important metric by far is how how closely a tank aligns with a giant robot from a giant robot anime. Because the MBT-70 is basically an MS-09 Dom from Gundam, it is in fact the best tier VI tank at the moment.

Considering that I killed the MBT-70 just fine on my tier-5 stuff, I don't think the T-64 s going to have any problems.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Xerxes17 posted:

Considering that I killed the MBT-70 just fine on my tier-5 stuff, I don't think the T-64 s going to have any problems.

The gun is good and can do the job. The problem is the mobility - turning and reverse are very sluggish.

Your armor will get holed by the mbt70 or chieftain kinetic rounds. Don't rely on it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

They're changing RB air maps so that they'll no longer be tied to countries. Fewer mixed battles, shorter queues all around, strange setups, shitloads of tears and rage on the forums and on reddit because muh historicuh accurathy (and having to learn and adapt to change).
GOODBYE ALTERNATE-HISTORY poo poo OPERATIONS :patriot:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Honestly that would be really nice for CARB at this point too. As cool as factional battles are almost all of the balance problems stem from it. If you just threw teams together at specific BRs from the entire pool you'd have some really excellent matches.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
How's the T-44-122? I just got 75% off on it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

spectralent posted:

It's okay. For 75% off I'd say go for it just to have a decent tier 4 premium, but it doesn't offer much over the 100 model. It does sit at an awkward BR but your team should be the side benefiting from uptiers more often than not. Wouldn't bother at half off if that gives a general idea.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Warbadger posted:

The gun is good

THE PENIS IS EVIL

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

spectralent posted:

its fast and fun and a kt killa

tbqh its actually better than the 34-100 at the role both tanks fill.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

McSpanky posted:

THE PENIS IS EVIL

Sean Connery in a thong is exactly what I needed to be thinking about right now so thanks for this.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The 34/100 and 44/122 both kinda suffer from being pushed up in tier back when they were better than the tanks they fought but with additions like the 251 and such they're pretty mediocre. That being said they both are decent to own with a hard discount like that.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Mazz posted:

Honestly that would be really nice for CARB at this point too. As cool as factional battles are almost all of the balance problems stem from it. If you just threw teams together at specific BRs from the entire pool you'd have some really excellent matches.

I sent a message to Anton asking about this a couple days ago since it really fuckin' sucks for Japan to only ever see straight WW2 teams at all tiers, and the reply that came back indicated something was in the works to be revealed soon—he said September, but that seems like a mistake since we're nearly into October; so either very soon, or in a month-ish. Something is going to change with how (Japanese) teams are matched in tanks, or my question was misinterpreted and it was a hint about the Type 74G being worked on so Japan has a tier VI.

Also holding out for the Type 73 ATGM truck or Type 89 with the same ATGM to get added.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Probably Saturday at 15 Japanese time for the infodump. I'll throw a stream link in here when it's time.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Sard posted:

I sent a message to Anton asking about this a couple days ago since it really fuckin' sucks for Japan to only ever see straight WW2 teams at all tiers, and the reply that came back indicated something was in the works to be revealed soon—he said September, but that seems like a mistake since we're nearly into October; so either very soon, or in a month-ish. Something is going to change with how (Japanese) teams are matched in tanks, or my question was misinterpreted and it was a hint about the Type 74G being worked on so Japan has a tier VI.

Also holding out for the Type 73 ATGM truck or Type 89 with the same ATGM to get added.
Its amazing how many problems just abandoning nation based matchmaking would solve. Heck, even the pre-nerf rocket spam CAS would not have been as big of an issue if there had been Wyverns and Skyraiders on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Reddit expects Anton to either drop a hint about the French or something exclusively Japanese, such as Japanese boats or T6 tanks. The latter seems more plausible.