Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you have something AGAINST pretty things? Because I'll happily eat all the adorable stuff you don't want. Watermelon chili served with a bouquet of alliums and borage. Then I'll have some ginger and hibiscus flower pink lemonade with my little pony friends.
I save my "eat pretty but nutritionally useless stuff" for once or twice a year. Usually when my chives get blooming like crazy, and I lightly bread and flash-fry them and put them on top of other dishes. But it's still useless or likely negative, from a both nutritional, time, and energy-used standpoint. How much water did it take to bloom those alliums and borage, and do you actually use them for anything else? Are they from your own garden or someone you know and trust to not spray or hire landscapers who spray, etc? You're literally FRYING those flowers to serve on top of some "healthy" veggie and fish and rice summer dish..?

None of those things I just said have anything to do with chili. So stop with this fancy flower stuff or make a thread for it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I save my "eat pretty but nutritionally useless stuff" for once or twice a year. Usually when my chives get blooming like crazy, and I lightly bread and flash-fry them and put them on top of other dishes. But it's still useless or likely negative, from a both nutritional, time, and energy-used standpoint. How much water did it take to bloom those alliums and borage, and do you actually use them for anything else? Are they from your own garden or someone you know and trust to not spray or hire landscapers who spray, etc? You're literally FRYING those flowers to serve on top of some "healthy" veggie and fish and rice summer dish..?

None of those things I just said have anything to do with chili. So stop with this fancy flower stuff or make a thread for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The amazing grocery store near me has started getting in some different varieties of peppers (ghost peppers, Thai chilies) from their usual assortment (jalapeņo, Serrano, banana, poblano, habanero), I assume due to the season. I kind of want to make a chili, but the weather doesn't seem at all right for it. Help me, thread?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Chili is all-weather. When it's cold, it warms you up. If it's hot, make it spicier so it gets you sweating.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

Chili is all-weather. When it's cold, it warms you up. If it's hot, make it spicier so it gets you sweating.

Seriously. Look at the places with the spiciest foods and think about the climate.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just had a wild idea. What if, when making the chili, instead of browning the stew beef in a pot on the stove, I SMOKE IT with my electric smoker?

Like, smoke the meat, them put it in the pot to make the chili?

:eek:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do it

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just had a wild idea. What if, when making the chili, instead of browning the stew beef in a pot on the stove, I SMOKE IT with my electric smoker?

Like, smoke the meat, them put it in the pot to make the chili?

:eek:

I did this with leftover smoked turkey from thanksgiving and it was v good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That isn't wild at all and I've done it multiple times with a chuck roast. Smoking is the best way to cook meat.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
I do have a chili recipe that has been hugely popular with my friends. English is not my first language, which has never been a problem until I had to name certain cuts of beef. But anyways

The start:
1-3 kgs of meat. Oxtail gives amazing taste, but the end result will be on the fatty side. Otherwise, use chuck/neck-pieces. Adjust portions if bones are included. Don't go too lean, there needs to be decent amount of fat in there. I typically tell my butcher "1 kg. of fatty chuck, 2 kg. of lean". (Actually, I use very specific words that specify each individually cut, but google translate did not play ball. The meat is on the "chuck" side of an cow/ox" or simply oxtail.)
2-3 habaneros
2-4 bay leafs
1 clove of garlic
2 teaspoons of black pepper

Add 1-3 L of water to a large casserole. If you are rich, I have had some really cool results when replacing some of the water with port wine. Sear the meat (or don't, I don't find that searing makes a difference in the end). Put all the meat and black pepper into the casserole. For the habanero - cut a half-slice into each piece, then drop it in together with the bay leaves. You want the bay leaves and habanero to stay in the top of your casserole, so they are easy to pick out later on.

Cock for 90-120 minutes.

Remove the habanero and bay leafs. The habanero and bay leaf has added a lot of flavor, but no on one wants to get a bite with too much of in the end. If you had bones in the meat, try to remove individual pieces from the casserole and cut the meat from the bone. Meat goes back into the casserole, bones do not. This step is a lot easier if you deboned your meat beforehand (but in some cases, like with ox tail, it is actually easier to do the deboning after a few hours of cooking). If you meat do not want to debone easily, cook for another 1-3 hours.

Cut all of the following ingredients to small pieces
2-4 onions
2-5 tomatoes
1-3 whole garlic
2-3 peppers
1-3 regular chilis.
2-3 teaspoons of salt
A handful or two of coriander
A teaspoon or three of cumin.

Drop it into the casserole.
You can also add a few boxes of beans. The recipe work with beans, but it is slightly better without.

Cook for at least 20 minutes. Taste.
Add, according to taste
0-1 teaspoons of sugar
0-2 teaspoons of fish sauce
0-5 teaspoons of chilipowder
0-3 teaspoons of cumin
0-2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
More salt
More black peppers
(I also add a few teaspoons of a very condensed stock available locally, consisting of meaty flavors and red wine). Alternatively, just add regular stock at this stage or the initial one.)

The cocoa powder I use is actually meant for hot drinks, so it does contain a lot of sugars. In any case, the combination of cocoa powder and sugar does mellow out the chili and peppers a lot. But beware, the sum of either can be too much. You can also just skip the cocoa powder and sugar altogether.
The fish sauce is somewhat optional, though I personally think it makes a huge difference. Don't overdo it though.

Taste the chili every 20-30 minutes after, and adjust accordingly.

Beware of the temperature. Slowly adjust the temperature downwards, as there is less and less water available in the pot. When the pot has almost no water - just meat left, you are done.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cleaning out my fridge and freezer, I remembered that I had forgotten about a couple pieces of elk backstrap, and a couple lbs of ground venison that've been in there for well over 16 months. Made chili, added in a lb of chorizo and a lb of andouille as well.

Good eatin'

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Tonight, I will make Beer4TheBeerGod's short rib chili. There aren't many recipes for short ribs that include helpful tips. I tried once before but last time it ended up a greasy mess, but I shall prevail with advanced techniques like "scooping off the grease" and adding some flour!

Here's the recipe I'm following, with some minor deviations. I will be following the whole blender for chili powder and onions/garlic which I have not done before.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chili for the Chili God

Chili Powder Ingredients
3 oz Guajillo Chiles
3 oz Ancho Chiles
3 oz Pasilo Chiles
3 oz Chipotle Chiles
0.5 Container Cumin Seed
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 tsp Ground Red Pepper
1 tsp Season Salt

Chili Ingredients
4 lbs Bone-In Short Rib
1 lb Chorizo
32 Ounces Beef Stock
2 Medium Onions
1 Bunch Garlic
1 Bottle Dark Beer (Porter)
2 Shots Tequila
2 Shots Molasses
2 Cans Tomato Paste
1 Can Chipotles in Adobo
1 Cinnamon Stick
4 Squares Dark Chocolate
1 Ounce Dried Porcini Mushrooms
1.25 Cup Chopped Cilantro
0.5 Cup Chili Powder
Salt
Pepper

Chili Powder: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chili_Powder
Trim off fat caps from short ribs. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.

Put dutch oven on maximum heat. Brown short ribs on all sides. Sear the hell out of them. ALL THE MAILLARD REACTION. ALL OF IT. Do meat in batches so you don't crowd the pot. Watch the video.

Cut onion in half and scorch. Same with the peeled garlic. Don't bother chopping it up, just blacken it.

Remove the casings from the chorizo and dump the meat into the pot. Or use breakfast sausage. Either way brown it.

Add the onions and garlic into the blender and pulse to chop up. Then add the chili powder, mushrooms, paste, molasses, tequila, chipotles in adobo*, and beef stock. Some folks use beer instead of beef stock. I've been meaning to try that. Blend it until well mixed and chunky.

Deglaze the base and get all that goodness off with the beer. Toss in the meat.

Add the blended ingredients to the meat and stir. Add the cinnamon stick, cilantro, and chocolate.

Cover and put in the oven for 90 minutes.

Remove cover, stir, embrace the awesomeness, and leave uncovered in oven for another 90 minutes.

Check status of meat. The bones should have freely separated and the mixture should be thick enough that you can stand a spoon in. If not, cook longer.

Remove from oven, remove bones and cinnamon stick, and eat with corn bread.

* Chipotles in adobo is the greatest thing ever, but it may be too spicy for some. You may want to toss in just the chipotles and stare at the adobo sauce, knowing it owns you.

Edit: I made this. I took the lid off after 2 hours in the oven and scooped off grease, then did it again 45 minutes later and then sprinkled maybe 0.5tbsp flour around the remaining grease and lo and behold it was awesome. Best chili I've ever made, easy.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 4, 2017

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
My annual chili cook-off is this weekend, but it is so loving hot, I'm going to hate cooking tomorrow. I'm a back-to-back champ with 2 different recipes, going for a threepeat this year and decided to defrost some things I've had in my freezer for a couple months, a pig heart and 2 rabbits. Going to also be using some beef but figured I'd throw in some weird items. It's either hubris or I'm going to dunk on everyone (it's hubris).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/fizfashizzle/status/904089657985654785

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That is bitter stew is what that is. broccoli steeped in any sauce is going to bring bitterness to that sauce. I see carrots, broccoli, probably green peppers, tomatoes, possibly chicken, possibly ground beef, and not a lot of anything else. I mean, hell, if you took out the broccoli and pureed it a bit you might have a decent pasta sauce, possibly.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

fermun posted:

My annual chili cook-off is this weekend, but it is so loving hot, I'm going to hate cooking tomorrow. I'm a back-to-back champ with 2 different recipes, going for a threepeat this year and decided to defrost some things I've had in my freezer for a couple months, a pig heart and 2 rabbits. Going to also be using some beef but figured I'd throw in some weird items. It's either hubris or I'm going to dunk on everyone (it's hubris).

Good luck man. As the current reigning chili cook-off king at work, I feel your anxiety.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
A ton of people are squeamish about "'exotic'" meats. I guess it depends on your crowd.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I roasted the rabbit separately and it did not work with the flavors at all. It was too mild. The heart is great with everything, but swapping the rabbit for more beef.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

A ton of people are squeamish about "'exotic'" meats. I guess it depends on your crowd.

And if you don't tell anyone, they can rarely tell. Only use good meat if people are going to appreciate it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

neogeo0823 posted:

That is bitter stew is what that is. broccoli steeped in any sauce is going to bring bitterness to that sauce. I see carrots, broccoli, probably green peppers, tomatoes, possibly chicken, possibly ground beef, and not a lot of anything else. I mean, hell, if you took out the broccoli and pureed it a bit you might have a decent pasta sauce, possibly.
Yeah it just looks like my spaghetti sauce when I'm cleaning out my produce drawers.

Yellow summer squash is really excellent in fajitas or tacos, btw.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Chilis rehydrating. No tomatoes at all this year.

Chili Paste

Original idea.

First time cooking heart myself.

Easier to clean than I thought.

Heart cooking in ghee. Chili paste and oxtail beef broth in the back.

Rabbit was roasted separately, I kept basting it in its own juices but it 100% did not work with the chili. This was all a mistake and I ran an audible and did stew beef instead.

A look at it this morning. I went a little liquidy because I had to get there by 2pm and voting wasn't until 6pm so I let it reduce a little more in the crock pot I had been keeping it warm in.

The fools let us choose our own competition numbers. Only 8 chilis this year, down from 16 last year, 14 in 2015, and 11 in 2014. It was over 100 degrees 2 days in a row this weekend and San Francisco apartments and homes do not have air conditioning.

The golden ladle for winning.

Full prize set. Actually I managed to tear my oven mitt while cooking so it is a straight up replacement for something I broke while making the chili.

My 3 golden ladles.

My 4 aprons (top 3 is an apron, I came in 3rd in 2014)

fermun fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 4, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
gently caress yeah man well done.

I live around there too and if I had to make chili in 100+ weather I would have said gently caress it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ranter posted:

Good luck man. As the current reigning chili cook-off king at work, I feel your anxiety.

Our chili cook-off at work last year was won by a guy who literally dumped two cans of Hormel into a crock pot in full view of god and everyone. :smith:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ranter posted:

gently caress yeah man well done.

I live around there too and if I had to make chili in 100+ weather I would have said gently caress it.

It's an open contest. You are 100% invited if you can get a chili to about 2 blocks from 24th and Mission BART stop. A weekend in the last 2 weeks of August or first 2 weeks of September is when it happens though. If you are still in the Mission next year, let me know and I'll give you some details.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

fermun posted:

I really got a hankering for chili today so I figured I'd try some beef heart in it. Unfortunately the store was out of heart so I figured I'd use what was in my fridge, which happened to just be some leftover strip steak and ground beef so not great.
That is the really nice thing about chili (and really any stew or soup), though. You can just dump in stuff you have sitting around taking up space until you feel like it tastes good enough. Yeah I have been banned from Texas, why do you ask?

e:

That said, this isn't chili

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Over-exposed but I made some vegan chili with daiya for cheese and some TVP. Sounds weird, tasted pretty delicious.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spudalicious posted:

Tonight, I will make Beer4TheBeerGod's short rib chili. There aren't many recipes for short ribs that include helpful tips. I tried once before but last time it ended up a greasy mess, but I shall prevail with advanced techniques like "scooping off the grease" and adding some flour!

Here's the recipe I'm following, with some minor deviations. I will be following the whole blender for chili powder and onions/garlic which I have not done before.

Edit: I made this. I took the lid off after 2 hours in the oven and scooped off grease, then did it again 45 minutes later and then sprinkled maybe 0.5tbsp flour around the remaining grease and lo and behold it was awesome. Best chili I've ever made, easy.

Awesome, glad it worked so well for you!

I have been meaning to try the flour approach with masa harina. You can also cheat and wait a day in the fridge before scoping off all the fat (this will never happen).

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 9, 2017

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Am I doing this right?

Ground pork, top round, random bell peppers, tomatoes, beans, lots of onion and garlic.
Seasoning is mostly a bunch of jalapenos, habs, some adobo concentrate 'sauce', soy sauce and some chili powder.

e: Yeah I got poo poo all over my stove and counter, I'll clean that up later.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Sounds pretty good. Top round seems a little lean for chili, but should be fine.

Things that may improve it going forward:

Kenji adds fish sauce and vinegar to his chili and I find them both to be excellent additions

Also your chili would typically benefit from a wider range of peppers depending on the profile you like, but typically that would include peppers like anchos, pasillas, roasted poblanos, maybe some anchos.

Also broth of some sort. I usually just use Better than Bullion chicken stock, that way I can control the water content better.

Oh, and I recommend using a pressure cooker for chili but that's extremely optional

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Plinkey posted:

Am I doing this right?

Nope you hosed it up. Start over. Send me the fuckup though, I'll take care of it for you.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's my kinda chili.

I'd definitely start with a broth or stock (I can never tell any difference between beef and chicken), add a bunch of cumin and paprika. An easy way to get some chili variety is combining ancho, guajillo, and new mexico. I think they go really well together and you can find them pretty easily.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I had a little extra chili that wasn't going to the tailgate with me tomorrow, and had made some cornbread 'muffins' has anyone tried this before:

The Chili Cornbread Cup Cake.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Liquid Communism posted:

Our chili cook-off at work last year was won by a guy who literally dumped two cans of Hormel into a crock pot in full view of god and everyone. :smith:

I doubt it, I think I would have heard about a goon engaging in a workplace mass shooting.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Everyone in this thread should be entering ICSA Chili.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I intend to.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dehydrated beans with a few inches of water over the bean line with cashews for 75 mins in a pressure cooker on manual will result in perfect beans and buttery magic cashews. After that I add soy chorizo + adobo sauce and my seasoning + a bunch of salsa and any Textured Vegetable Protein mix it up good and turn the pressure cooker back onto a chili setting for 45 minutes.
End result is pretty loving tasty.
My seasoning is Ghost, habanero,and cayenne pepper powdered up.
My shits sound likes pop rocks

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i made old timey American Mom Chili last night with ground beef and canned beans and canned tomato sauce. It was really goddamn good. used NM, ancho, pasilla negro, cumin, oregano, soy sauce, and malt vinegar for seasoning.

give it a try, am serious

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

bewbies posted:

i made old timey American Mom Chili last night with ground beef and canned beans and canned tomato sauce. It was really goddamn good. used NM, ancho, pasilla negro, cumin, oregano, soy sauce, and malt vinegar for seasoning.

give it a try, am serious

Do you have a full recipe?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's that time of year again. Next wednesday is our 5th annual chili cook off and I'm current reigning chili king.The plan is pretty similar to last time.

Make my own beef stock from scratch.
3 - 5 varieties whole dried chilies, turned into a paste.
Whole chuck roast, whole pork shoulder roast, cubed by me.
Shitloads of onions.
Can 'o chipotles in adobo sauce.
Bottle ' chocolate stout. Contemplating using a smoke beer e.g. a German schlenkerla rauchbier.
Mexican oregano.
Maybe some tomato paste. Not sure on this.
MSG.

Also toying with the idea of a little bacon at the start to get things going.

edit: anyone tried a little finely ground coffee bean in their chili paste too?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Adding coffee works better than grounds, if you use coffee and beer your chili will be bitter so be careful with amounts, use tomatillos if you can get them instead of tomato paste.